Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stitchfluffy
Stats: (170/165/135) PCOS-Fibromyalgia
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Jan. 3 2012
HUNGRY at start of TOM?

Well TOM started for me last night, I woke up at about 1 AM and I was Lose-my-mind STARVING. So what did I do? I ate about a 600 cal. snack. Not good I know, but today is an UD. I've eaten WAY over my limit though. Is it normal to be just ravenous during this lovely time of the month?
Stitchfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
It happens for me! Normally a couple of days before - I find it hard to stick to my numbers - and then TOM arrives (erratic nowawdays - due to age!!) and I think to myself - ah that explains it!!

Don't worry - allow yourself the extra cals today - if you need them. Choose lower cal alternatives if you just need to eat all day long! But don't beat yourself up.

My charts are showing that I always gain weight during TOM - so don't be too shocked if that happens.

Feel better
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Not to worry, this is very normal. It happens for me and for a lot of us as well. I not only get rabidly hungry right before TOM (the day right before is the worst), but I get it at ovulation time too. I do the same as Vicky suggests and just allow myself extra calories, and whether or not I actually use them, it really doesn't make a difference in my weight loss because no matter what I eat or don't eat around those two hormonal times, I never lose and usually gain a bit of water weight then. It always goes down afterwards though.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/167/155 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
I'm the same age as Vicky and my cycle has been erratic for a few years already. In fact, this week I had my first TOM since I started JUDDD (5 months) and the hunger threw me for a loop on yesterday's DD. I think I hit about 800 cals. I've definitely gained over the last few days, but I refuse to worry about it. I know it WILL go back down - even if I eat chocolate. That ravenous feeling sucks, but just try to find a few lower cal options and remember that this too shall pass!
Alcestis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
When I'm PMSing whatever isn't faster than me gets eaten lol. I always keep sugar free LC chocolate on hand and allot 200 calories so I can have my chocolate and still stay within my calories. Trader Joes has great chocolate called Simply Lite
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
When TOM arrives, I get so hungry that I could eat a horse and nibble on the fence! (Been waiting all these years since I joined to use that expression, LOL)

For me on DD with TOM I drink a lot of water, green tea and have radishes to chew on. This has gotten me through my two TOMs since I started JUDDDing....
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I am years past menopause and still get starving DDs every month .

Over time, I have figured out I need to eat more frequently, increase my protein/fat a tiny bit with each meal, and up my overall low-cal volume a lot (I wander around the house with a head of Romaine in hand, eating it like a popsicle ) on those days. Interestingly, if I bounce up on that day (does not always happen) I usually lose the weight on the following UD.

This is normal. Not pleasant. But for some of us it is very normal.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
All very normal. I get this crazy hunger every month. In fact, just last night it hit me - not even an hour after dinner - I was suddenly as hungry as if I hadn't already eaten steak, rice & beans and tons of veggies! Nope, all I could think of was chocolate! I was starving for it.

So I had dark chocolate and peanut butter. Probably 500 calories in the space of minutes, thus turning my DD into basically an UD (it was already a very high DD). My craving was satisfied though, lol.

On days like this, I do like was mentioned and try to eat more protein, also allow myself extra calories, and lower cal versions of stuff. But sometimes like last night it just goes all to pot and I give in.

In the long run, it won't hurt on the scale. But it's kinda scary if you don't realize where all that crazy hunger is coming from and why. Just know that it's normal for most all of us and it will go away again in days.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Stitchfluffy
Stats: (170/165/135) PCOS-Fibromyalgia
WOE: JUDDD/LC
Start Date: Jan. 3 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
When I'm PMSing whatever isn't faster than me gets eaten lol.
Heh, that cracked me up, and it's EXACTLY how I felt! It's much better today, I picked up some hoodia, the stuff is awesome! I didn't lose any weight, but I also didn't gain any, thank goodness!
Stitchfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
for me, YES it can be. I don't always ovulate though, and am perimenopausal. Usually it is the ovulation period that is really ravenous for me though. My weight usually spikes and I have to FIGHT and wait for it to diminish. Some people just drop it right away. I'm not one of those, sadly.
This is a way of handling food, so even if your up day is high, it isn't life ending. Down days keep cycling through working magic.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote