Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
Anyone have success just "eyeballing" JUDDD?

I am worried about learning to count calories. I don't want to become obsessed with numbers like I did when I learned to count carbs. Plus, I am not a numbers person. I am not lazy or stupid...I am just easily confused by digits!!
I'd like to think I know what an UD and a DD would look/feel like for me. Is there anyone that has done well not counting calories??
Thanks!
kbeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Well, you could do it maybe if you counted some meals before hand and stuck to those. Like my down day meals are always the same, like 300g of chicken breast, a whole sliced cucumber, maybe a whole tomato... I DO weigh it and log it, but I always know this combination will come in under 500 calories. I also know that an egg is 70 calories so I know that on a down day I could eat like 7 hardboiled eggs. I know that a snack of 4 melba toasts, 2 pieces of light laughing cow cheese, and 2 pickles = 125 calories. Stuff like that.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CatherineA
WOE: formerly LC; trying JUDDD 2322.464
Start Date: 5/4/12
Hi KBeth - I'm new to JUDDD too and am way out of practice counting/estimating calories. I had carne asada tacos today and was flabbergasted to see that those 3 flimsy tortillas were over 500 calories.... no filling!

I use ****** to record and count calories and, although not perfect, it does the numbers for you once you get the hang of it.
CatherineA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeth View Post
I am worried about learning to count calories. I don't want to become obsessed with numbers like I did when I learned to count carbs. Plus, I am not a numbers person. I am not lazy or stupid...I am just easily confused by digits!!
I'd like to think I know what an UD and a DD would look/feel like for me. Is there anyone that has done well not counting calories??
Thanks!
A few. At least, for awhile.

The thing is... JUDDD is a plan that is based on calories in such a way that it's sort of important to follow your numbers fairly accurately. It balances a fasting day against a feasting day in such a way as to trigger a lot of additional benefits beyond weight loss. So just eating fewer calories to the point of losing weight is little more than simply a diet *in general*, but it's not JUDDD.

Because of JUDDD's fasting day, which is very low calorie, it is important to eat a fairly full following day's worth of calories to prevent the metabolism from slowing down and slowing down weight loss along with it. So you can't eat too little on Up Days and expect optimal long term weight loss results. Usually weight loss slows down from being too low on Up Days.

But if your Up Days are too high, obviously that slows down your rate of loss too, because you will simply be eating more calories than is needed to promote a good rate of loss.

If you go over on your DDs by too many calories, that also will slow weight loss.

The best results are almost always experienced by those who do their calorie numbers pretty accurately and stimulate their bodies with a high/low calorie consumption.

You can always try just eating however you feel you want to, eating less on one day and more on the next, and judging your ability to control your eating and calories by whether you are happy with your rate of weight loss.

And I will say, even if you start without any calorie counting, you will probably pick up a lot of knowledge about your eating/portions just by reading what others here do, so that might be enough to get you off to a good start anyway.

Few of us actually love measuring our foods or counting our calories. And if we had eating habits that came naturally to us and kept us slim without effort, you can be sure that there would be few of us who didn't just eat at will. LOL But alas.. most of us deserve to be on a weight loss site because we are unable to control our weight without the help of a place like this.

At least JUDDD is a plan that allows us to eat whatever foods we want, for the rest of our lives, and will enable us to become slim and remain slim.. just by putting in the little extra effort of calorie control. It's worth it. Really, it is.

I wish you nothing but good luck in your weight loss journey. I hope you will stick around here with us and see if this might be the plan for you.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Pat is really the Queen of all things JUDDD!

I am one who has "eyeballed" a few times and I can tell you when I go back later and try to recall or bring it up on my ******, it is unbelievable that I could be so far over/under !?!? One thing that most nutritional websites allow is storage of your favs on a database, so that when you eat say "10 Blueberries", "Turkey Jerkey" or "hard boiled egg", it is already saved and then you know exactly what you are getting for the day. I also tend to want to guesstimate, but my success has come from knowing what I am doing and logging on an excel sheet my daily info. I have the same 10 meals that I rotate pretty regular and have beaucoup sides and treats that I keep saving to my profile.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
An online tracker really helps. Yes, at first, it seems a bit obsessive. But after a couple of weeks, you get a good sampling of foods logged, and start getting an idea of what your favorites run.

I'd advise counting for the first couple weeks at least. It really is rather shocking what 2 TBSP of salad dressing really looks like (it's not nearly as much as you think it should be).

I use ************ and really like how I can input my own recipes so easily. I do a lot of homecooking, so use that feature a lot. And so far, I've only had to add 2 foods, everything else I've used has already been in the database.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:46 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Read the book. Dr J emphasises just how crucial it is to monitor your eating.

I use Daily Burn - where an egg is 101 calories...

I think everyone should do the calorie counting every once in a while. I looked up my chocolate squares last UD and half a bar is 480 calories. I used to eat that twice a week or more and think "It's ok, dark chocolate is good for you"

I put a post it on my chocolate now "50 cals for just one square of this". Do the same for wine and spirits. A glass of red is 95 cals and half a bottle (what I usually drink with my H )- 450. On a diet you simply can't afford to do that too often without compromising your healthy food intake. I think it sort of helps you to grow up a bit. We all tend to be a bit immature around food.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
I don't eyeball things on my DDs, sometimes on UDs.

I tend to go for things that come in packages with the calories on the side of them (I buy nothing without nutritional information) or things that are units of known calories (like eggs).

That way you don't have to be thinking about calories constantly but you are aware of what you're doing.
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Just for fun, I tried it at first. I guesstimated calories in a meal I planned to eat, then I looked the calories up. As Sunday says, I was stunned to see how far over or under my guesses were.

On both DD and UD, there is a range based on individual metabolism and usually centered around the calculated calories found on Dr J's website that we need to eat in. If we go above or below that range, weight loss stalls and we can even gain weight. Most of us who are here, got here because, for a variety of reasons, we are not good at 'feeling' what we eat.

You can certainly try it. It may work for you. Especially if you can keep DDs low enough to get JUDDD magic working for you, and high enough that your individual metabolism does not stall, then over time you may find (as many/most of us have found) that your relationship with food and with calories changes, becomes calmer, becomes more natural.

I couldn't do it. But it may work for you.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:10 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 170.4/170.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: July 16, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeth View Post
Thanks!
It may work for you but it would never work for me, my 1/2 cup of ice cream (NOT a lot!! But the typical serving size) would grow to 2 servings easily! Even 1 cup of ice cream is not much!

I track everything, it only takes a few minutes to look up the food and either track it on your computer, iPod, iPad, phone or whatever or write it down like I do, in a notebook. For that few minutes I get peace of mind that I will not go over or under both my UD and DDs. In my opinion I would not have lost as much as I have (22 pounds since I started at the end of March) if I was guestimating, and I realllllly want to get to goal!

Just to put the numbers problem in perspective, I'm a total math moron, I can't even help my 3rd grader with his math homework anymore (his older brother helps him if he has a question). I had a checkbook at one point and my accountant (Thank goodness!) husband had to constantly balance it for me because I would get so miffed! But with JUDDD I simply write down what I eat what the calories are and keep a running tab of what I've used (and how much I still have left), I use a calculator at times, that is not cheating...

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Last edited by Becky; 05-11-2012 at 04:15 AM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #11

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
No harm in trying.... but personally I agree that a good online counting site make it easy and safe!

You must please yourself but the advice is, count those calories, at least for a while.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:40 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh golly. If using a calculator was cheating.......

I once added 2 + 2 = 5.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:02 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
One large grade egg is 71 cals+or-according to several sources. I weigh my eggs and most are 2oz. which classifies them as "extra large" (83cals +or-)even though the carton says "large" Measured in ounces 1 ounce of egg is 47cals so 1 2 ounce egg is pushing 100cals. Pick a number that you can live with and call it.

Last edited by fozzie99; 05-11-2012 at 05:06 AM..
fozzie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:23 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MelissaMN
A little off topic, but it would be helpful to use a smartphone to track and look up calories. Anyone have a great app they have downloaded??
MelissaMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #15

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaMN View Post
A little off topic, but it would be helpful to use a smartphone to track and look up calories. Anyone have a great app they have downloaded??
************ works great.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
************ lets you scan barcodes too, makes it easy to quickly log new foods.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
One of the problems with eyeballing is that if you stall, you might not know what to change. Everyone will start suggesting things like "increase/decrease your UD/DD calories by 100 cals/day" and it will be difficult to be accurate if you're guesstimating.

Part of the beauty of JUDDD is that you may be able, on UDs & in maintenance, to eat more than you'd be able to on other WL plans. But if you keep your cals too low, or don't explore/challenge how high you can go, you may get "stuck" with a slightly slowed-down metabolism.

To answer your question: I've been mostly eyeballing on UDs, and it's taken me almost 7 months to lose 16lbs. A lot of other JUDDDers lose that much in a month or two.

OTOH, I have several health issues including diabetes, bipolar disorder, mild hypertension, and insomnia, so I've been doing a lot of experimenting with nutrition & supplements to see what makes me feel best. I have taken a few breaks from JUDDD as well as used an alternate schedule/higher DD calories to minimize side effects from my meds.

Someone else doing JUDDD more strictly might be able to eyeball more successfully.

I can totally relate to your concern about becoming obsessed with calorie-counting. It seems to me, though, that JUDDD has such positive effects on people's mental health/moods/anxiety levels that there is a lot less "obsessing" going on than you might expect!
New lows, 2014:
7/27 275.4

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-11-2012 at 06:43 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kbeth
Stats: 5'4" 43yo 161/148/125
WOE: Paleo-esque
Start Date: April 2002/Restart April 2012
WOW. Seriously. Thank you for all of the advice/opinions. Soo, one thing is clear. I need to count calories, lol.
Pat....You made some great points! I'm sure no one *loves* to count calories.

I'm going online to check out more info, and see if the library has the book. I hope to be joining you soon!!!
kbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:31 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
And I'm going to buy my first food scale. Thanks. I think.
Kristin
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
************ works great.
Second that!!! I have it on both my iPhone and iPad.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Oh golly. If using a calculator was cheating.......

I once added 2 + 2 = 5.
They always tell my 3rd grader, "no calculators...that is cheating". I need my calculator my brain to too full of useless crap to try and add numbers!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I have a computer, I pod, I touch, and an I pad and I keep track of my calories with a notebook and pen lol.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I'm SO happy to be counting. I was away from the net and calorie counters for a few days. At one point I "guesstimated" my way up to what must have been a 4,000 calorie UD. It wasn't pretty, unless you find gaining weight at the speed of sound (the sound of me eating steak, eggs, hash browns, monster cookie, chicken and rice, calamari, lamb kebabs, pulled pork, French fries, creme brûlée, and homemade doughnuts) attractive. The day after that free-for-all was the happiest DD ever. Counting every crumb, now,
Kristin
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have no will power, no moral compass, no concept of space & time, and absolutely no self-control when facing a well made creme brulee.

Fortunately, most of the presentations around here that are called 'creme brulee' are just pudding with burned sugar on top - that I can say 'no' to in a heart beat.

Sound like a great UUAD Kristin! Which, of course, made DD all the better.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 05-11-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffabuff View Post
I have a computer, I pod, I touch, and an I pad and I keep track of my calories with a notebook and pen lol.
Me too! We're such rebels!! I actually don't have an iTouch anymore my son busted it when he dropped it and it died a slow death, I have an iPhone and iPad that he doesn't touch...
Old 05-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
Histroy has proven I don't have any luck eyeballing ANY diet. I'm a poor judge of age, weight and volume......for sure!! I measure and weigh everything for my recipes and log everything I eat without fail. Because the scale and measuring cup results always prove my guesstimates were wrong!
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote