Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: postergurl
Stats: 206/201/155
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 5/7/12
INSOMNIA 2 NIGHTS IN A ROW

Hi all! I just started JUDDD this week and have experienced insomna two nights in a row, not common for me.

The first night, although exhausted and ready for sleep, I had trouble falling asleep. I laid down about 10p but didn't actually fall asleep until 11:30 or so. Very frustrating.

Last night, I fell asleep around 10:30p (normal) and slept great until 3:45a (I normally wake up a few times during the night and even occasionally get up for water or bathroom but ALWAYS fall right back asleep) and was wide awake until 5ish. I had just managed to fall back asleep around that time only for my alarm to go off. UGH!!

Has anyone else experienced this, or could this just be coincidental?
postergurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi PG, !

The insomnia could be from starting JUDDD.

A couple questions:
Are you hungry when you go to bed?
Are you feeling lots of energy during the day (possibly even the DD glow?)
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

My answer would be, NO, to the first question (although that may change this evening, I will be sure to pay attention to this tonight).

I would say that I have notice a slight increase in energy throughout the day. I have also started exercising and can say that, physically, I am tired by bedtime.

My first bought of insomnia was on a DD and the second (the worst) was after UD.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
Welcome!

I've had the exact opposite experience, but I want to say that I read another post where someone had the same thing happen in just the past few days....

Hopefully it resolves quickly for you!
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusgirl View Post
Welcome!

I've had the exact opposite experience, but I want to say that I read another post where someone had the same thing happen in just the past few days....

Hopefully it resolves quickly for you!

Thanks! Me too!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by postergurl View Post
My answer would be, NO, to the first question (although that may change this evening, I will be sure to pay attention to this tonight).

I would say that I have notice a slight increase in energy throughout the day. I have also started exercising and can say that, physically, I am tired by bedtime.

My first bought of insomnia was on a DD and the second (the worst) was after UD.
I'm no expert on these matters, but a couple thoughts, and then hopefully some others will come along soon.

Since you just started both JUDDD and exercising this week, it is a lot for the system all at once. I've read where some others also had trouble sleeping when starting JUDDD, and I think it was mostly on the DDs. They had a lot of energy that didn't just turn off at night.

You may adjust to this over time and it won't be a problem anymore, or there are tweaks that could be made in the meantime.

If it were me, one thing I'd start with is to make sure not to go to bed on an empty stomach, even if I wasn't feeling particularly empty. I don't know if you are able to save a lot of calories for later in the day or not.

Some things that wouldn't eat too many calories would be some of that thin-sliced deli turkey rolled up around Laughing Cow cheese (if I was eating dairy) or rolled around some thin apple slices or something. Or perhaps a whole or half a Pure Protein Chocolate Deluxe bar with a cup of decaf tea. If carbs would work better (and for some people they might help induce sleepiness) maybe some sandwich filling (whatever you like - veggies, deli meat, PB2, etc.) wrapped in 1 or 2 slices low cal bread. Or small bowl of oatmeal, something like that.

What are your DD calories like? If they are extremely low, this might be putting you into an extreme "stress-response" too, with heightened alertness.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 05-10-2012 at 04:55 PM..
Old 05-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jbinme
I'm normally a early to bed, early to rise kinda girl. 4:00 is the average time I wake up. When I started JUDDD I had a hard time falling asleep sometimes. I remember one time I woke at 2:30 and couldn't go back to sleep. I just got up. The weird thing was that I was fine during the day. Enough, sometimes a lot of energy. It's a lot better now. I do sleep better after UDs usually. I would just say that it does get better.
Jbinme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I've had the exact opposite problem this week......sleeping soundly 8, 9, and even TEN hours!!!! And taking a nap in the afternoons. Very unlike me. But there are nights I have insomnia too. I should start keeping track to see if I can find a pattern connected with my eating. Hope you figure your out!
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Yep, it's one of the things that I don't like about JUDDD....lots of insomnia & disturbing dreams. Not just weird or scary; sickening.

Sometimes I only get about 4 hours of sleep & others, 10. Those 4-hour nights make it really difficult to budget calories, esp on DDs!!!

I had gotten it under control with a supplement, but the last week or so has been off. I've woken up at 4:30am several times & been unable to get back to sleep til 7 or 8am, then sleep til 10:30 or 11:30.

I hope things get better for you soon.
New lows, 2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/13 277.2

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-10-2012 at 07:31 PM..
piratejenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I'm using melatonin at the moment to ensure an unbroken night's sleep. It works a treat. Supposed to be good for lots of other things including weight loss too. I'm 50 something so my natural levels are probably down anyway.

You do get strong dreams but I like that.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
I've had that on and off as well. Sometimes I've slept like the dead for longer than I normally would, other times I've had trouble dropping off and trouble staying asleep.

However, I'm not looking tired or feeling tired, so I think it's just my body going its own way and doing whatever it likes, schedule be damned.
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Not sure how old you ladies are but once oestrogen starts declining you can kiss goodbye to a proper night's sleep. I do BHRT. Sleep like a baby, even without the Melatonin. I just got fed up of waking up to pee once a night. The Melatonin helps you sleep deeper. It also keeps you cheerful.

I am a firm believer in keeping your hormones topped up. JUDDD is great for HGH levels, as is resistance training on an empty stomach.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Thus far, 3+ weeks in for me, I am actually sleeping better on JUDDD! Not sure how/why.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:42 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
What are your DD calories like? If they are extremely low, this might be putting you into an extreme "stress-response" too, with heightened alertness.
First of all thanks for the tips!

I've only had two DDs. The first one I did 447 and yesterday I did 382. Dr. Johnson's calculator said I should be doing 395 DDs. I was NOT hungry the rest of the afternoon and evening (yay) but I paid closer attention to my energy level and I was EXTREMELY fidgety yesterday. I noticed my feet and legs constantly moving and shaking while reading in my kindle. I went outside to burn some energy, playing catch with my boys. No other exercise. I fell asleep around 10:30 and slept like a baby last night!!

I just couldn't help myself, I stepped on the scale this morning and I am down 2 lbs from Monday!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I'm using melatonin at the moment to ensure an unbroken night's sleep. It works a treat. Supposed to be good for lots of other things including weight loss too. I'm 50 something so my natural levels are probably down anyway.

You do get strong dreams but I like that.
Yes, I am familiar with Melatonin as my son had to take it for a little while. I've always been a wild and adventurous dreamer so that wouldn't be anything different for me. Hopefully, it doesn't come to this.

I slept very well last night so maybe it's resolved on it's own.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by postergurl View Post
First of all thanks for the tips!

I've only had two DDs. The first one I did 447 and yesterday I did 382. Dr. Johnson's calculator said I should be doing 395 DDs. I was NOT hungry the rest of the afternoon and evening (yay) but I paid closer attention to my energy level and I was EXTREMELY fidgety yesterday. I noticed my feet and legs constantly moving and shaking while reading in my kindle. I went outside to burn some energy, playing catch with my boys. No other exercise. I fell asleep around 10:30 and slept like a baby last night!!

I just couldn't help myself, I stepped on the scale this morning and I am down 2 lbs from Monday!
Yayyyy on the loss and the sleep! JUDDD is quite a change-up for our bodies - really throws em for a loop Looks like yours is starting to enjoy the chaos. KUTGW and let us know how it's going, my JUDDD bud.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Yayyyy on the loss and the sleep! JUDDD is quite a change-up for our bodies - really throws em for a loop Looks like yours is starting to enjoy the chaos. KUTGW and let us know how it's going, my JUDDD bud.
Thanks I most certainly will!! My son was poking fun at me yesterday because I was blogging. He said, "OMG my mom's a blogger now, using words like threads."
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lola5k
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/JUDD
Start Date: Atkins 2004/JUDDD Feb 2012
Fortunately for me since being on JUDDD I have been sleeping great. I had problems whilst on Low Carb...However, I agree with previous poster. Don't know how old you are but there is a point in your life when the hormones change and for some people unfortunately insomnia is a BIGGEE!!. I know cos I suffered for years and it usually starts with the 3am wake up call and progressively gets worse.

However, they do say to have a small carb snack before bed if you calories allow it. Good luck and hope that you get some zzz.s soon.
lola5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola5k View Post
Fortunately for me since being on JUDDD I have been sleeping great. I had problems whilst on Low Carb...However, I agree with previous poster. Don't know how old you are but there is a point in your life when the hormones change and for some people unfortunately insomnia is a BIGGEE!!. I know cos I suffered for years and it usually starts with the 3am wake up call and progressively gets worse.

However, they do say to have a small carb snack before bed if you calories allow it. Good luck and hope that you get some zzz.s soon.
Thanks! I am 34, hopefully no hormone changes are in store just yet. I know my mom suffers from chronic insomnia; she is 64.

I slept great last night though so maybe it was just a 2-night occurrence!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lola5k
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins/JUDD
Start Date: Atkins 2004/JUDDD Feb 2012
Yeah at 34 I am sure that you can discount that one...hopefully just a blip.
lola5k is offline   Reply With Quote