Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skuma
Stats: 220/213/120
WOE: Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: January 27, 2012
nathropath ..oh my

so as this is my first week on Judddd, i am new because i never lost ANY weight on atkins..this is my second dd going ok..i have gained weight this week but im ok because i read here that when you go from no carbs to some carbs on this WOE expect some weight gain.
last night i went to a nathropath because i have been on thyroid meds for a year and nothing is happening..he has put me on a gluten free/dairy free diet along with major supplements and a change to my medication. anyone else figure this diet with these restrictions? i can still do it right? he has no problem with the fasting, just what i eat when i do eat.
skuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Sorry i dont have an helpfull advise. but wanted to welcome you all the same!~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
double post.

Last edited by adillenal; 05-10-2012 at 09:02 AM..
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
to JUDDD.

Since JUDDD is allabout calories, it doesn't matter where they come from. It can be done. Might not be as easy but it can be done.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuma View Post
i have been on thyroid meds for a year and nothing is happening..
Are your thyroid levels normal now on the medication, or are they still adjusting your doseage?

If levels aren't right, nothing seems right. I'm hypothyroid and have to be checked every three or four months to make sure the levels are okay. When it needs adjusting I can usually tell -- I start getting sleepy a lot. It usually takes about six weeks to "recover" which is why I never, ever miss even one pill.

Also, it is a good idea to check for food allergies. It sounds like that's what he's doing. Maybe ask him about probiotics just in case you have had some low-level food allergies. They help heal the intestinal tract which then keeps food from entering into the bloodstream too quickly.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
it's fairly common practice in naturopathy to eliminate gluten and dairy when there are thyroid issues. You can totally do it. I am gluten free, and have been for 8 years. No problem at all! I'm not dairy free, but the rest of my family is gluten free, soy free and dairy free. It can easily be done!

I am happy to share my tricks, as I'm sure everyone else is! Hang in there! You can TOTALLY do this!
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
Don't come off medication prescribed by, and monitored by, your doctor without discussing it first. A natropath isn't medically trained, and their advice is no substitute for your doctor's advice.

I know I sound quite strict here, but that's because thyroid issues are quite serious.

As far as I know, eliminating gluten and dairy wouldn't be particularly contra-indicated with medical treatment, but I would talk to a proper medical person first.
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casmira View Post
Don't come off medication prescribed by, and monitored by, your doctor without discussing it first. A natropath isn't medically trained, and their advice is no substitute for your doctor's advice.

I know I sound quite strict here, but that's because thyroid issues are quite serious.

As far as I know, eliminating gluten and dairy wouldn't be particularly contra-indicated with medical treatment, but I would talk to a proper medical person first.
ummm, that's not entirely true. depends where the person is. here ND's are licensed, medical professionals that go through medical school, sit for boards, order lab tests, work in hospitals, are covered by insurance and can be considered PCP's.

I agree no one should tweak the meds but the prescribing physician, but I take issue with the blanket statement that naturpaths aren't medically trained. In states where they are licensed they most certainly are.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Totally doable. I'm grain free, dairy free and egg free (allergies--also have allergies to sunflower, cashew, and garlic). It's all about substitutions. Although you may have to work harder to get your calories up on UD's. Grains tend to go hand in hand with sugar, and pack a lot of calories.

There are tons of gluten free recipes on the internet, you just need some specialty flours to make them work. I mostly bake with almond, coconut, arrowroot, and tapioca flours.

I use almond milk anywhere I'd use regular milk, love Amande almond yogurt. So Delicious makes a coconut creamer for your coffee that totally lives up to it's name. And canned coconut milk, chilled and whipped with a few drops of vanilla stevia is absolutely as good as the real cream variety. (if you chill the can, it will separate and you can drain off the cloudy liquid and it will be stiffer after you whip the thick white cream that is left).

If you need more suggestions, just ask. There are quite a few of us here with food restrictions.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skuma
Stats: 220/213/120
WOE: Atkins/general low carb
Start Date: January 27, 2012
a nathropath is a medical professional, licensed and registered. just because it is not western medicine dont mean its not medicine. the world existed and healed itself long before the invention of modern day pharmaceuticals...just saying. and in addition i am working with both my family doctor and my nathropath.
on the next note what to eat if your glutten/dairy/soy free????? i am so stumped because i feel like everything i love has one of these ingredients..
skuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

what do you love? if you can post, we may be able to come up with alternatives for you that are just as good, if not better!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
This WOL fits very well with my gluten free life. I also try to avoid dairy when I can and use almond milk and the So Delicious products. As others have said, we can help you problem solve issues. There are tons of recipes on this board that you can use. Pooticus , Ouizoid, Jennifer, and many other creative people have come up with muffins, flour mixes, tortillas, pancakes that fit the special needs many of us have. I have been having one of Ouiz's muffins every morning. Gluten- free and full of fiber!

Last edited by sungoddess; 05-11-2012 at 08:10 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Maybe not the best place to ask this, but I'm going to anyway. I got some coconut flour a while ago and haven't tried it yet. Does it have any flavor? I was wondering if it could be used for breading, or if it would be best saved for baking. TIA!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

it does have flavor, but it can be made sweet OR savory.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusgirl View Post
it does have flavor, but it can be made sweet OR savory.
Thanks!
Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: Your guess is as good as mine...
Start Date: Start date: Constantly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuma View Post
so as this is my first week on Judddd, i am new because i never lost ANY weight on atkins..this is my second dd going ok..i have gained weight this week but im ok because i read here that when you go from no carbs to some carbs on this WOE expect some weight gain.
last night i went to a nathropath because i have been on thyroid meds for a year and nothing is happening..he has put me on a gluten free/dairy free diet along with major supplements and a change to my medication. anyone else figure this diet with these restrictions? i can still do it right? he has no problem with the fasting, just what i eat when i do eat.
My autistic son has been on that "diet" for 10 years, it gets easier after you scout out the GF/CF (milk free) foods mostly in health food stores but more are popping up in mainstream grocery stores. The foods (breads, pastas, waffles and pancakes are expensive but some are very tasty, I bought Zach (my son) some GF pretzels and tried a few, they were even better than the wheat loaded ones!! Bob's Red Mill has some great mixes for cakes, cookies, brownies and waffles.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Becky-I've got two kids on the spectrum myself! Yup, gf/df/sf here! They don't do well on grains at all, but I do let them have some on occasion-so long as they're gluten, dairy and soy free. They have celiac as well, so there's no room for error.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Becky-I've got two kids on the spectrum myself! Yup, gf/df/sf here! They don't do well on grains at all, but I do let them have some on occasion-so long as they're gluten, dairy and soy free. They have celiac as well, so there's no room for error.
Yowsa! You've got it doubly challanging!! Zach is okay with wheat but we still limit it, if the child goes anywhere near milk you know it in both behavior and potty issues for 2 days!! Zach has to stear clear of peanuts too but is okay with soy, not that he ever has much of that.

How old are your kiddos? Are they high functioning or low? Zach is right down the middle but more twards the lower end.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

one high functioning, one moderate on good days, towards the lower end on bad. she no longer loses language as she did so that's a big deal. she'll still shut down at times, but it's not a true regression anymore.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:04 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
one high functioning, one moderate on good days, towards the lower end on bad. she no longer loses language as she did so that's a big deal. she'll still shut down at times, but it's not a true regression anymore.
Seriously, never a dull moment in a house with Autistic kids!
Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #21

My friend wrote a book about an autistic fourth-grader named Sid. It's pretty good. It's fiction and not very long-written from the perspective of the child. I think she was running an Amazon special for download if you have a Kindle. Her son is autistic. The book is called "The Voyages of the Starship Sid" by Celeste Cornish. I'm not selling it, lol, but thought you might be interested in having a glance.

ETA: Sid is an Aspie.

Last edited by KeirasMom; 05-11-2012 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: Messed up the book title
Old 05-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
My friend wrote a book about an autistic fourth-grader named Sid. It's pretty good. It's fiction and not very long-written from the perspective of the child. I think she was running an Amazon special for download if you have a Kindle. Her son is autistic. The book is called "The Voyages of the Starship Sid" by Celeste Cornish. I'm not selling it, lol, but thought you might be interested in having a glance.

ETA: Sid is an Aspie.
Our library had that book! I saw it in the new books section last week, just the title didn't pick up the book, but probably should have, although reading anything about Autism/Aspergers makes me cry even if it is happy. I turn into a blubbering idiot at the drop of a hat lately!

End threadjack: sorry OP....
Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #23

She's working on the sequel now. I think it will turn into a series.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
She's working on the sequel now. I think it will turn into a series.
Okay you talked me into it, I'll put on my waterproof mascara and give it a shot! Wish me luck!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #25

Your son might enjoy it. It's not sappy or anything.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
Also, it is a good idea to check for food allergies. It sounds like that's what he's doing. Maybe ask him about probiotics just in case you have had some low-level food allergies. They help heal the intestinal tract which then keeps food from entering into the bloodstream too quickly.
I'm taking it for other reasons, but I'm finding out that a lot of people take L-Glutamine to heal the intestinal tract. Gelatin is said to be great for this, too; I put a tbsp in a bowl of hot broth or soup a few times a week.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote