Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
OUCH!!!

Well it’s been 39 days of seeming to simply melt, THEN today. That scale readout really stung…. 1.8 pounds UP . My FIRST bounce – OUCH!

I have been true to my numbers, so no real fear. Interesting though, yesterday I had an exceptionally rough day, not with my DD eating but with super stress dealing with a tough job and what felt like an impossible deadline which went on all day long. AND one of our sweet dogs suffered a seizure which scared the daylights out of us. I remember last night asking hubby if he thought the extreme stress of the day would have any effect on my weight loss this morning (I only weigh after DDs). He didn’t think so, but now I wonder. I know one thing for sure, it’s not from food!

Well, today is an UD and no more scale until Saturday morning so I’m going to enjoy my carefully calorie-counted day.

Hugs to all!
Connie

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CatherineA
WOE: formerly LC; trying JUDDD 2322.464
Start Date: 5/4/12
Its stress - no doubt. I hope work eases up and that your sweet dog is better very soon. Have a great day today!
CatherineA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Connie, it looks to me like you've got a good handle on how to think about your bounce, and that is a big part of things.

I'm always looking for the "why" and "how" of things, especially people stuff. When I look back to how and why I packed and kept packing on the pounds, it takes me to 'when', and I realized my real trouble with weight closely coincides with a period of years that were brimming with over-the-top stress, one thing after the other, after the other (many times on top of the others). Stress? OMG, such an understatement. And the icing on the cake (heh) was that it all happened right around the time I went through menopause, too.

Kudos to you for being self-aware. I do think stress plays a part, at least it does for me.

Soft woo's of comfort from our dog to yours.

Keep on keepin' on!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
As far as I've always read, stress increases cortisol levels, which definitely affects weight loss. I've found that I always gain or at the very least end up holding at a higher weight when I'm experiencing a noticeable amount of stress. Hang in there, and I hope things get better for you soon. Take care of yourself and JUDDD will sort everything else out.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Big Connie. It's definitely the stress. I don't really bounce all that much but it seems when I do, it's always from stress or lack of sleep--they usually go together for me.

On a side note, I've had two epileptic dogs, so I know a thing or two about doggie seizures. If you are new to it and have questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully this will be a one-time thing for you and your sweet furry friend.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Poor you. I know how stressful it is when your dogs are ill.

Interesting about stress effecting our weight. I think it depends on the type of stress. I've had extreme stress and lost weight but I think lower level stress does pack on the pounds.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
You have been doing such an amazing job with JUDDing! I love your signature scale. Just love it!!

I'm so sorry that your precious puppy had a siezure. Have you found out what caused it?? I'm going to pray for that doggie's good health and healing and for you, Friend. Breathe, Hon. Breathe....

Absolutely stress causes the release of a hormone like enzyme, Cortisol, as was stated. At the same time another hormone, Grehlin is released. Leptin is blocked.

Grehlin (think Gremlin!) acts with Cortisol to stop the body from releasing extra fluid. The Grehlin flows through the blood stream, enters the brain and starts to tell you you need more calories and tells the body to stop releasing stored fat because the stress hormone, Cortisol, has said, "We are having an emergency! Call 911! Bring on some potato chips!" - or something like that. Not scientific, but my interpretation! Oh, and in addition, Cortisol tells your system to store most any extra calories as fat in your belly! Ugh!

Try to start planning how you are going to get a full, restful night's sleep tonight and make it happen. Leptin, the happy hormone, is produced as you sleep, circulates through the blood stream, enters the hypothalamis area in the brain and says "everything will be fine. We will get through this. We have plenty of stored fat for energy and we don't need a binge here."

You have lost quite a bit really fast. I'm sooooooo proud of you. Don't get discouraged. Drink some soothing type tea or listen to calming music or do some stretching or take a bubble bath. And, breathe....

Even if your body is just resting at this weight for a while, trust me, those numbers will start moving downward again. Just stick with your plan. You know what to do!!!

More

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I'd lay money on the stress. Coritsol sets up a nasty cascade of effects in our body to conserve energy for the fight or flight to come--and holding on to calories is one of them. Increase hydration, do some deep breathing/relaxation, stay true to your numbers, and you'll be fine.

I hope you dog is doing well now and continues to do so.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
i hope your pup is ok.. I had lived with that stress before and i know what that is like,, prayers for you and you baby.
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineA View Post
Its stress - no doubt. I hope work eases up and that your sweet dog is better very soon. Have a great day today!
Thank You!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post

I'm always looking for the "why" and "how" of things:
I know what you mean. I am grateful now that I had wondered about the possible effects of the stress last night, before I got on the scale this morning. Had I not considered that my overly stressed day could/might affect my weight, I would have felt much more disappointed by the scale. Instead it made me more cognizant of the mind/body connection and today will be focused on relaxing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Soft woo's of comfort from our dog to yours. :
Aw, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
As far as I've always read, stress increases cortisol levels, which definitely affects weight loss.:
Now that you mention it, I do remember reading about cortisol awhile back. It makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
On a side note, I've had two epileptic dogs, so I know a thing or two about doggie seizures. If you are new to it and have questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully this will be a one-time thing for you and your sweet furry friend.
Thank you for the doggie support. I thought we were going to lose her right then and there. Thankfully hubby was home at the time. She’s scheduled with her regular vet to see if he can determine the cause. Today she seems just fine, she is enjoying in the beautiful sunny day we’re having. Hoping for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
You have lost quite a bit really fast…Even if your body is just resting at this weight for a while, trust me, those numbers will start moving downward again. Just stick with your plan. You know what to do!!!:
That’s for sure (on the loss) and I am sooo totally amazed. I have NEVER had this rate of loss EVER. There is no way I am disappointed in any way. I know this is just a little bump in the road. And as for giving up on JUDDD, I don’t think so, it just feels like the right way to eat and I don’t plan on ever giving up the rotations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
I'd lay money on the stress. Coritsol sets up a nasty cascade of effects in our body to conserve energy for the fight or flight to come--and holding on to calories is one of them. Increase hydration, do some deep breathing/relaxation, stay true to your numbers, and you'll be fine.

I hope you dog is doing well now and continues to do so.
Thank for your support, you are always there with words of encouragement and they are so much appreciated!

And thanks too to Kimberly and Stargazer, you gals are the best! Hugs to all!
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Sorry you've been through so much stress and hope your doggie is better!!

Yes on the cortisol being the cause of your bounce up. Lack of sleep can do the same thing (which also negatively affects cortisol). Unfortunately we can't always keep our lives from having stress now and then, but good that you recognized that's what caused the little gain. It will leave again before long. KUTGW!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Sorry you've been through so much stress and hope your doggie is better!!

Yes on the cortisol being the cause of your bounce up. Lack of sleep can do the same thing (which also negatively affects cortisol). Unfortunately we can't always keep our lives from having stress now and then, but good that you recognized that's what caused the little gain. It will leave again before long. KUTGW!
Thank you for the affirmation and thankfully the stress is over and today is -- so far, so good -- the sun is shining and I'm getting out for awhile!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Sending hugs to you and loving pats to you puppy.

You are a star JUDDDer.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
Sending you hugs and happy thoughts! Hope your dog feels better! I love your digital scale too!!!
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Oh, we love our dogs. All the best, puppy,
Kristin
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Hi Connie!

Sorry about the pup, glad it was over quickly (yes?) and I sort of hope they don't find anything, know what I mean?

I just wanted to share that I had a similar bounce up after my Sunday DD (big night on Saturday), and I just kept at the rotation... when I weighed again after an UD and a DD, i.e. yesterday, I was down the 2 PLUS about 2 more... who knows, but I'm ok with it

if I were doing just LC with no calorie monitoring, it would be a 4+ gain, and take a week or more just to get back to where I had been.

So hang in there (b/c I am too!)-- I think you and I have not seen much "bouncing" to date, and we should be prepared for them on occasion

Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
when I weighed again after an UD and a DD, i.e. yesterday, I was down the 2 PLUS about 2 more...

Soren

Hey, that is GREAT!! Nothing like a BIG whoosh to put a smile in the day!

Well, darn it, my day surprisingly, unexpectedly turned into another nightmare, which I didn't deserve, so unfortunately more stress -- but not the dog, thankfully she is fine pending tests. Fortunately it wasn't difficult to stay in my numbers and so I know that even with a lot of stress eventually JUDDD will get the scale cooperating again soon.

When the day sucks, it sure feels good to leave it all behind, be able to come here and feel among friends! Tomorrow will be a much better day!

Hugs,
Connie
Old 05-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
to you and your precious pooch. I know when any of my pets is sick I feel sick along with them.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)

Stress is ****. I hope your world calms down soon. In the meantime, stick with the rotation and concentrate of healthy foods. Let us know what happens with pup.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Hi Connie-- when will you have test results?

I went through Haka's paw thing (still isn't healed) last week, and on my DD's, at least I wasn't too hungry b/c I was just worried about him. Not great for stress hormones, but made those days easier.

S.
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: buttoni
Stats: 196/170/150
WOE: Atkins Start 4/09
Start Date: 4/21/09 Height 5'5", Age 64
I'm sure you'll get it off in no time, you're doing so well on JUDDD. And I hope your puppy is improving. It really is stressful when our furbabies get sick.
buttoni is offline   Reply With Quote