Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
I need Non perishable dd lunch ideas

Hi guys,

I recently started a new job and they Have very limited storage places, no microwave and no fridge. I walk a mile from the bus stop to work and in the evening, a mile back... And then another mile from the transit center back home. ( I am excited for the mandatory exercising)

I use a reusable bag that squishes into pocket size to bring my lunch, but would prefer to not have to carry Tupperware back home... Ziplock are my friend. I just want the last two legs of my trip to be comfy.

I would love additional suggestions. This is what I know:
Tuna pouches in water
Lightly salted rice cakes

That is all I have. There is a subway, but I don't want to spend 6 dollars on a salad that will have lettuce cucumbers tomatos and vinegar. I am looking into maybe a collapsible Tupperware, but for now... Any suggestions?

Loving Life with JUDDD and my bouncy chart!
" I'm like a rubber ball, Baby that's all that I am to you
(Bouncy, bouncy) (bouncy, bouncy)" - Bobby Vee
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
If I were wanting to take food with me, be able to eat, and then not have any containers to have to take home, I'd take the following:

2 hard boiled eggs. Shell them and throw away the yolks. Eat the egg whites for 34 calories.

1 medium apple. 74 calories.

1 cheese sandwich, made with 2 slices lite 40-cal bread and spread with 1 wedge of lite Laughing Cow cheese. 115 calories.

Even if you don't have refrigeration, a baggie of grape tomatoes and a few baby carrots should be just fine until lunchtime. Not many calories, depending on how many you take.

The pouch of tuna in water is a good idea, although I don't know how many calories is in that.

One can of sardines in mustard sauce has 140 calories in it. I knew a guy who ate that for lunch every day he was out on the job.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Hard boiled eggs, or just the whites.
String cheese. (I think WW makes a very low calorie one)
Leftover chicken breast or
Leftover tilapia out of your fridge

Foster Farms Oven Roasted Turkey breast (I think it's 30 calories per slice). I love to lay a piece out, line it with hot peppercinis down the middle and sometimes sprinkle a little cabbage on it. Roll it up and stick a tooth pick in if you are skipping the cabbage. With the cabbage you hold it more like a tortilla, if that makes sense!

Have you ever seen the very small soft sided coolers? I have about 10 of them. They come in all shapes and sizes but they squish flat. They are soft, but some of them are square with a zipper and some are about the size of a lunch bag with velcro on top.

I find they are great for a tub of fat free yogurt or stuff like lettuce. You can put a small water bottle in the freezer. In the morning, take it out, stick it in the cooler and put in yogurt, SF jello, cottage cheese, anything in disposable containers with the water bottle.

By lunch, the ice will melt, you will have some iced cold water, and your yogurt or whatever will still be cold.

You could take celery and dip it in the yogurt, yum!
Apples are good. Slice them up and squeeze lemon on them and they won't turn brown and will lay nice and flat.

Take 100% protein powder (buy a kind that says on the container you can just stir it and it won't be lumpy or gritty)

Add water to the protein powder when you are at work.

Any of those ideas help?

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Yam-Yam... I forgot about water bottles! I will look at the coolers. My messenger bag is tiny as they said all of our stuff needs to fit under the cash wrap and there are 4 women with purses... Yikes.

SoHappy (Pat) - Hard Boiled eggs... also a great idea!!!! I dont eat the yolks on DD any ways, but they are perfect self contained foods.

Carrots... a little high in calories, but would work for a quick small 35 calorie crunch.

Apples also kinda high, but will be worth it.

I like the idea of taking yogurt for a snack. next to a iced water bottle.... yummmy!

Thank you so much! I am back to my 178-176 range after a naught Three Day Kentucky Rolex trip with my mom two weeks ago. I just don't want to blow it at work... my lunch or my wallet! Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

How could I forget... Hunts makes a Sugar free jello 5 cals that does not require refrigeration.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Non-perishable:
--Jerky (beef or whatever) (I used to work 8-10 hours with MAYBE a 15 minute break...we had a fridge but I was too busy to put my lunch away OR go get it later...jerky was my best friend)
--Sunflower seeds in shell (if you eat lunch with other people...you won't finish your lunch in 3 min, lol)
--Chia seeds (supposed to be, like, the ultimate survival food! You can hydrate them in a water bottle with a drink mix...I used coconut water the other day--yum!)
--Rolled oats or instant oatmeal packs. This might sound odd if you're from the US but oatmeal can be soaked in cold water & eaten (like muesli) or made into a refreshing drink--called atol de avena in Latin America. My favorite was with cinnamon, but you could add a little cocoa mix or protein powder...vanilla or strawberry would be good, for example. (ETA: Actually in many countries it is served hot, but in Costa Rica we got it for breakfast in school & it was served cold, like horchata.)
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-09-2012 at 10:01 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I can make a turkey sandwich for less than 200 calories and unless in the direct sun should stay cool for half a day. I take one to craft shows in one of those collapsible coolers. Not sure you want a shake but I also take shakes and Quest bars to places where I can't carry a cooler or do not have refrigeration. Second the beef jerky although I make my own so it is not as expensive.
The tuna pouch is 80 calories and with some lowfat mayo it is doable and can be mixed in the pouch and eaten with a plastic throw away spoon or fork.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
PS...Recently I've noticed several 90-calorie fiber bars & granola bars at the stores, if you like that kind of thing. Low-cal protein bars that are filling seem a bit hard to find, but sometimes having even a 150-200 calorie one in your purse is better than anything you might be able to buy! --Also, if I'm tempted to buy something for lunch/snack but I have a protein bar or jerky on me, I tell myself I can't be REALLY hungry if I don't want to eat it, and I can't buy anything until I do! One $2 bar or strip of jerky carried around in my purse for 3 weeks will save me a lot of money & calories!

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-10-2012 at 04:01 AM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
It depends on the day for me! Some days I take my salads and dressing (separately then mix). <---most of it grows in the sun, it can sit for a while without the fridge! I carry my backpack since somedays I am in and out of a car 100 times a day and pushing wheelchairs, so for me thats most handy! I usually take those 100 calorie packs of snacks....chips or cookies or something to take the edge off and save my main calories for dinner!

Last edited by krow134; 05-10-2012 at 04:39 AM..
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
My emergency desk rations include Slim Jims and mixed nuts. I have to count out the nuts, though, because it's easy to go overboard.

Cheese is a good keeper, too. Or a tuna pouch.

Personally, I take a LUnch on the Go set from Fit and Fresh. It's a plastic box with a cool-pack. You'd have to lug it back home, but the extra flexibility is worth it for me. I went to Walmart and bought a cloth shoulder bag that fits my lunch set and a Thermos for my bone broth just perfectly. I don't like regular lunch boxes, but this one I can sling over my shoulder like a purse, or sit it on top of my rolling briefcase as I'm traveling on Metro.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
I did a down day at the airport last week and, though these are not exactly non-perishables, they kept fine with no cooler. I brought a bag of Applegate Farms sliced ham and a bag of already-cooked chicken breast I found at Whole Foods. I left the house at 8am and ate ALL of the ham (175 cal) at 11am. When I got to Boston I had a few bites of the chicken and later that night I put the rest on a salad I bought at a nearby grocery store. It worked so well I wondered why I don't do this on ordinary down days at home.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
Flackers and Alouette Creme de brie.
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote