Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
dazygyrl - Ah, ok. I thought it was just the lemon and water, with no sweetener, that you were going to try to do.

Yam-Yam - Thank you, yep I just saw and posted to the other thread. I didn't think to bring some lemons to work, but I certainly will be having some more when I get home. I roll mine a bit to get the juices flowing and like you, cut 'em up and throw the whole thing in! Already told DH we need to stock up on lemons when we hit the store as we're both going to be drinking more "lemonade". I'd kill for a whoosh like you had!!
*actually* i have been drinking just lemon and sweetener. it reid it again with just lemon and ezsweets...MUCH better than with crystal light, which is a little to me. but whatever. i don't really notice that i pee anymore when drinking lemon water as opposed to just water or diluted crystal light, tho.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/116/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Can I use the lemon that is in those green bottles? It says 100% pure lemon!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
because of this post............I bought 5 lemons today to try it anyways. I also bought a big bottle of heartburn pills to get me through it!!! If I can break of the 170's by this means I will be the happiest girl in the world!!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
Ahhh, I love all kinds of lemon water variations!

I start my day with hot water, pure lemon, and a pinch of himalayan crystal salt (google and you will see tons of info on the benefits of this) guaranteed to flush out toxins within like 5 minutes if you know what I mean :-)

At night I love hot water with lemon, grated ginger, stevia, and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. Very good for the immune system and dissolving mucus in the body.

In the summer I love ice water, lemon, mint leaves, and a little brown rice syrup (or honey for non vegs)

yay lemons!
Old 05-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetTN
Stats: too much/getting there/just right!
Start Date: Jan 2012
do you think the true lemon crystallized lemon works like the fresh lemon?
JanetTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I have a lot of water retention whenever I eat something with sugar. One cup of flavored coffee and my body holds on to nearly everything I drink from that point through the rest of the day. (This started happening sometime last year.) So I tried lemon water several weeks ago after adillenal posted about it and did not notice a difference. Since reading this thread a while back I tried again, only this time using real lemons (instead of the bottled concentrate). And lo and behold it did make a difference! Even more of a diff. when I put the lemon peel in the water after squeezing out the juice. I don't know what it is but it's been helping me. Doesn't eliminate it all together but it has lessened the amount my body retains and helps me shed the water weight quicker.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Can I use the lemon that is in those green bottles? It says 100% pure lemon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetTN View Post
do you think the true lemon crystallized lemon works like the fresh lemon?
Idk for sure...but I know lots of people who fast using lemon water (and the "master cleanse") and they always say you have to use fresh lemons.

Fwiw, bottled/pasteurized & crystallized juice do not have live enzymes. And/or maybe there are some compounds in the pith & peel...I have heard they have nutrients that the juice doesn't. And people tend to toss a wedge or slice into their drink when they use real lemons.

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-20-2012 at 04:34 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JanetTN
Stats: too much/getting there/just right!
Start Date: Jan 2012
Thanks piratejenny. I will get the fresh lemons
JanetTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
*actually* i have been drinking just lemon and sweetener. it reid it again with just lemon and ezsweets...MUCH better than with crystal light, which is a little to me. but whatever. i don't really notice that i pee anymore when drinking lemon water as opposed to just water or diluted crystal light, tho.
Yeah, that is a little odd, but oh well! I dunno if it's helping me at all other maybe internally since it's been recommended over the years (I did it way back in the Richard Simmons "Never Say Diet" days).

I try to remember to add some of the Bragg's Vinegar (with mother) in my drinks, but don't always. Seems that can help some lose weight. Doesn't seem to help me far as I can tell.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
hmmm, i might buy the sugarfree country time and just squeeze lemons in it to get the fresh lemons in it... nice!
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:49 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: karosd42
Stats: 220/209/150
WOE: Atkins now JUDDD
Start Date: 05/18/12 JUDDD
We are lucky enough to have citrus trees in the yard, so always looking for fun ways to use the lemons and the limes

little hint - if you microwave your lemon/lime for 15-30 [depending on your microwave] seconds prior to cutting them, you will usually get about twice as much juice from them
karosd42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Yennie
Stats: 5'3" 35yo 199/sig/146 No longer obese!
WOE: A.I. 1/1-1/20; JUDDD 1/21/13, Potatoes as needed
I wanted to bump this. I found it reading back threads. I love a slice of lemon in my water when we eat out but I had never had lemon water at home. However, I eat a TON of salt. I crave it like crazy, like dump it in my hand & eat it plain crave. I have low blood pressure so maybe that's why?
Anyway, for the last couple weeks I've kept a pitcher with 2 sliced lemons & water in the fridge, lemons at work & even in my purse. It's yummy, satisfying on DDs and I feel less bloated, even on my uber high salt potato days.
I've mentioned lemon water in a few different threads lately so I figured I'd give this a bump.

My Potato Hacking Journal
All I ask is that you lead an evidence-based life.
Yennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yennie, what kind of salt do you use?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #44
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yennie View Post
I wanted to bump this. I found it reading back threads. I love a slice of lemon in my water when we eat out but I had never had lemon water at home. However, I eat a TON of salt. I crave it like crazy, like dump it in my hand & eat it plain crave. I have low blood pressure so maybe that's why? Anyway, for the last couple weeks I've kept a pitcher with 2 sliced lemons & water in the fridge, lemons at work & even in my purse. It's yummy, satisfying on DDs and I feel less bloated, even on my uber high salt potato days.
I've mentioned lemon water in a few different threads lately so I figured I'd give this a bump.
I thought I was the only one who could eat salt plain. I often do this. I also have low blood pressure and I think that's part of it. The other thing is that I have thyroid disease, and may need the extra iodine.

Yesterday, on my DD, I "snacked" on Tony Chachere's creole seasoning, maybe a 1/4 teaspoon, all by itself. I was down 3.2 pounds this morning (vacation bloat), so it didn't cause me to retain any extra water.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Regular Morton's, garlic salt, seasoning salt, I have been known to eat it all. When I was a kid I uses to try to lick the (only new) salt licks we bought for the animals. Its been a lifelong thing.
I'm super prone to swelling when I run, I have salt tablets I take when I run & that helps. I also can't drink a lot of fluids while running, especially in hot weather, or my fingers swell up like sausages. It took me a while to figure that out since everyone said o was swelling from too much salt (which doesnt make sense physiologically but these were experienced running coaches so who was I to argue). Just drinking Gatorade & the Gu packets didn't provide enough, I had to get salt tabs.
I should have my electrolyte levels tested but I suspect they'd be normal since the body is good at balancing, especially Na & potassium (K), since K is so vital to cardiac function.
ETA: Dawn, I know 2 other people IRL who eat as much or more salt as I do. One has Crones and I suspect he's losing electrolytes through his gut. The other, among other medical problems, has really low BP as well. Who knows.

Last edited by Yennie; 02-20-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Old 02-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #46
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: LoCarbGal
Stats: 318.5/191/140 5'4" 47 yrs
WOE: Atkins 1/27/12 - 54.5 lbs: JUDDD 9/4/12 - 73 lbs
Another salt lover here! I just love the taste. On stuff. Licked off my fingers. If there's extra salt on my plate when I'm done eating, I'll finger it up and lick it off. Yum!
LoCarbGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Have you ever tried unrefined salt?

I have read/heard that it is healthier than "table salt".
It has some trace minerals in it, which may be part of what you're craving.

I use Himalayan pink salt and a brand called RealSalt, which comes in 26oz bags.
Any "unrefined" salt will be slightly colored (looks like sand to me), not bleached-white.

A few years ago I came across this thing called "the watercure"; they actually advocate taking 1/8tsp salt with water several times a day!!!

you know how everyone's always saying drinkwaterdrinkwaterdrinkwater... ...what I learned from "the watercure" is that it won't stay in your body without sufficient salt (that why people used to take salt tablets when they were doing stuff that made them sweat a lot, to keep from getting dehydrated). Too much water without proper electrolyte balance can worsen dehydration. Also, salt water gets into cells easier than plain water.

Anyway...salt it good!
It's also supposed to be very nourishing to the adrenal glands.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #48
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am one that adds sea salt to my drinking water and it has certainly heped with water retetnion. Even more so than water with just lemon juice. I have become used to salty water and plain water does not taste right to me now. BUT I rarely retain water any longer either.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Katiebubb, you may not need the heartburn tablets after you start drinking the lemonwater...a few years ago, a friend told me that lemonwater would help ease heartburn and aid digestion...so I have used it pretty regularly since...and it pretty much cancelled out the need to take the heartburn tablets, for me..not sure if it helps everyone, but it really did help my indegestion.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #50
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post

I have read/heard that it is healthier than "table salt".
It has some trace minerals in it, which may be part of what you're craving.

I use Himalayan pink salt and a brand called RealSalt, which comes in 26oz bags.
Any "unrefined" salt will be slightly colored (looks like sand to me), not bleached-white.

A few years ago I came across this thing called "the watercure"; they actually advocate taking 1/8tsp salt with water several times a day!!!

you know how everyone's always saying drinkwaterdrinkwaterdrinkwater... ...what I learned from "the watercure" is that it won't stay in your body without sufficient salt (that why people used to take salt tablets when they were doing stuff that made them sweat a lot, to keep from getting dehydrated). Too much water without proper electrolyte balance can worsen dehydration. Also, salt water gets into cells easier than plain ) water.

Anyway...salt it good!
It's also supposed to be very nourishing to the adrenal glands.
I love my himalayan salt i've never tried lemon water- will buy lemons next time i shop!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Actually, I realized once I got home and started cooking that I mostly use pink Himalayan salt & Mediterranean sea salt in my day to day stuff. Mortons for baking mostly and when I'm out of the house.

Funny enough, my horses have Himalayan salt licks for their stalls, as well.

Adi, I don't know if I could drink salt water. My mom used to advocate gargling with salt water for sore throats and it makes me gag so badly every time. I hate swimming in the ocean because I might get the salt water in my mouth. I don't know if I could psychologically get over the fact that there is salt in my water. Funny, since I love salt so much.

Anyway, I'm feeling great on my lemon water regimen and my body seems to like it too (minus the frequent trips to the bathroom). I guess I'll carry on with my salt addiction until my doctor (that I never go to, lol) tells me to lay off.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tofucheez
Oh my, thank you for brining this up!! I have been retaining water like crazy for a couple of months now and it's driving me mad! I, too, am a salt fiend. Since my blood pressure is slightly low, my dr had no problems with my salt intake. But since everyone says to "cut down on salt" I cut down dramatically a couple of months ago. This is about the time the evil weater retention started. I really wonder now if this is the cause (and lemon water may be the cure). Or maybe I will just go back to my high salt ways. I really love salt and have never had this level of puffiness before. Thanks!!
tofucheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

tofucheez, maybe your body needs salt to balance out the water retention issue.

I don't really understand what our bodies do with water... I mean, I can be a couple pounds heavier when I'm well-hydrated and when I'm retaining water....but there is such a difference in how I look and feel!!!

Yennie, I am glad to hear you are using "good" salt!
Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Jen! As I'm munching on my overly salted baked potato wedges...
I think the "no salt" or the "low salt" is another one of those dogmas that got hijacked from some very specific research (certain heart conditions, blood pressure) and clearly was then wrongly made universal. I can't function without it, I get raging headaches!
I'm sodium deficient, I guess. Its not potassium either because switching to lite salt (KCl instead of NaCl) is the same, to me, as no salt.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofucheez View Post
Oh my, thank you for brining this up!!
Pun intended?

Quote:
I think the "no salt" or the "low salt" is another one of those dogmas that got hijacked from some very specific research (certain heart conditions, blood pressure) and clearly was then wrongly made universal.
I think I read somewhere that even these conditions have more to do with dehydration or water retention or something than too much salt. So eliminating salt may have been a "quick fix" but not the cause of the problem. For example, some people with high blood pressure do fine with taking a mild diuretic and don't need bp medication.

Have y'all read this article?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/op...salt.html?_r=0
Old 02-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #56
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:

Adi, I don't know if I could drink salt water. My mom used to advocate gargling with salt water for sore throats and it makes me gag so badly every time. I hate swimming in the ocean because I might get the salt water in my mouth. I don't know if I could psychologically get over the fact that there is salt in my water. Funny, since I love salt so much.
I can;t tell you how much salt I put in a giant glass since I just sprinkle it in but it isn't a lot. Not near what I would put in a glass to gargle for a sore throat with. Just enough so you can barely taste it. Then some days I also use lemon. I was surprised how much of a difference drinking the lightly salted water did for me. I guess I was salt deficient before.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #57
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I love and crave salt, too. I also have low blood pressure. I use the pink himalayan sea salt most of the time. I put salt on lettuce and on cucumbers. I try to resist eating it plain, but I have to have plenty of salt on my DDs or I get really dizzy when I stand up or sit up after laying down-->

I have been drinking lemon in my water since giving up my serious diet soda addiction about a year ago. Now I have lemon in my water every night before bed.

I actually started my weight loss odyssey 1 year ago tomorrow. It is increadiblle how the time has flown!!!
75.8 lbs were evicted in less than 14 months!
Called goal on 2/5/13 at 126.8. I can wear size 4P!

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pmartin6618
Stats: 293.4/282/140 (or 130)
WOE: low carb/Atkins/etc./Induction long-term
Start Date: 06/01/12 lowcarb (20-net CARBS DAILY) st.wt.290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
I posted this to you on the daily weigh in thread, but am going to say it here, too. This morning I was looking through Dukan's book again and came accross a page where he wrote about the effects of salt. He stated that 1 teaspoon of salt can cause the tissues in our body to soak up and retain 2 pounds of water!!!

Drink that fresh lemon drink all day, girlie!! On Monday I quartered two nice ripe lemons. Every time I filled up my glass (16 ounce glass) with ice and water, I squeezed ALL the juice our of one of the quarters and dropped in the peel as well. I just kept adding the quarters with the peel into my glass and kept filling it up over and over all day.

Tuesday morning I had the biggest downward whoosh I've ever seen!!!

Part of it was due probably to confusing my body over the weekend with all the emotional/stress eating. I ate a lot of potato chips late Sunday night and had a huge gain Monday morning. I knew I was retaining fluid. That's what prompted me to use up my lemons.

Yesterday I went to the store and bought 10 fresh, big lemons! I'm stocked up now!

I'm sure it would work the same way. You are still getting that fresh lemon juice in, so why wouldn't it? I'll bet it tastes great, too!

I've been known to squeeze lemon in my diet Pepsi or iced tea as well. Love it.
Thanks for this great info. I'll be at the grocery story in a.m. and purchase my case of lemons.

P.S. I'm loving JUDD.
pmartin6618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Question: do we worry about the acid and our teeth?
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
Question: do we worry about the acid and our teeth?
I have had no dental issues that I'm aware of and I've been drinking lemon water for about a year
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote