Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Shake It Up, Baby! (for no loss/too slow loss/the diet-weary, etc.)

Been feeling this thread coming on, based on some things I've been reading on the forum lately about slow/no losses, discouragement... Sooo glad you guys are letting it be known on the forum how you are really feeling deep down - not just the happy stuff but the things that are getting you down. Never hesitate to post those things. We can't help if we don't know about it, and we sure do want to help and encourage.

That's what this post is for.

A quick backtrack: I'm going on 7 months of JUDDD/IF. The vast majority of that time has been on happy Maintain Lane. Though I've lost over 35# through LC and JUDDD/IF (20# LC, 16# JUDDD), I know I'm not qualified to say much, not really when we have JUDDD buds with much more weight-loss, much more knowledge, weight to lose and weight that has been lost. And so I give these suggestions with all humility, and ask for your patience and understanding that this post comes only from my desire to help someone if I can.

As some of you might know, I came to JUDDD looking to lose "the last 5 pounds". After seeing the effects of doing FDs too soon (see this thread: pretty sure I figured out my stall/slight gain back this week & how to fix it!! :)) I rechecked my calorie allotment and proceeded to stick those numbers like glue. I also stayed on strict rotations. It worked and I was on my way to goal.

I had no problem losing on regular JUDDD. It was amazing to lose like that after what seemed like such sloooow loss on strict LC. But being me, I had to have more freedom, flexibility... more choice for the long term. I tend to be lazy. Maybe I should say easy-going or casual instead of lazy, lol. What I'm saying is, losing 5# was one thing, but knowing myself, I wasn't sure if I could go on for life without diet fatigue. So I read Pirate Jenny's post about MUDDD 24hrUD/24hrDD experiment with much interest, and I tried it, and I reached goal doing it.

Since then, I've come up with my own variations on IF. I don't even know what to call these variations, but they are similar to Fast 5, MUDDD, Leangains, and some others. It sounds complicated, but it comes naturally to me. I pass fluidly in and out of regular JUDDD and other IF as needed, as wanted without any stress. That's important to me.

Maintenance has to be something one can do for life. It shouldn't be etched in stone because real life isn't that way. It has to be doable, flexible. It has to be stick-withable (lol).

I love JUDDD dearly, but switching things up like this has been great for me. It lets me fit any schedule/event need while still getting the benefits of IF. It makes me relaxed mentally/emotionally. And, I've continued to lose in maintenance.

How much my rotating through different IF has to do with that extra loss, I really don't know. But I've lost 11 more pounds in maintenance without trying, without intending to.

This loss happened SLOWLY over the 6 months I've been maintaining. It averages out to just under 2 pounds per month. But you could say that's not bad for someone who was trying not to lose more weight, who was maintaining with FDs and high DDs and other IF that wasn't NEARLY as "strict" as JUDDD. To be honest, I need to stop losing (If I lose 3 more pounds, I will be classified as underweight according to charts I've seen), and so I am now trying yet again to put the breaks on further weight loss (without stopping some form of IF since I do it for health too).

Before going on, I want to emphasize that I'm never ever saying my way is the right way for anyone else. We're all different. I don't want to confuse anyone new to JUDDD. But this is what has worked great for me. Yet if any of the following things give you some food for thought or any help at all, please take from it what you can.

and always from Sophiethecat.

~~~

So.... the name of the game is Shake It Up! These experiments are based on things I've done or that I've observed others here doing with success. Listen to your body, to your real hunger. And of course if you have medical condition, allergies, etc. then some of these shouldn't be attempted.

Important: You should only change things after at least 2 full weeks of regular JUDDD "by the book" to give the sirtuins time to kick in. Give it your patience and plenty of time at first to see if you will start losing before you are quick to change things. There is healing to be done in the body and it doesn't always happen fast on JUDDD. See this thread for an idea of timelines some of us have observed: ~~* JUDDD MAGIC *~~ a survey....

Sorry if some of these seem like repeats or contradictory. In my mind they are making sense as I type them but if you have any question, let me know.

I didn't come up with all these observations on my own, btw. So many on the forum give these nuggets of advice daily, depending on the needs of the person who's asking them for help. I just wanted to get it all in one spot.

-If you do fasting DDs or very low calorie DD (under 500 cal) and you're not losing, then your body may be under a bad type of stress. Try 500 – 800 calorie DDs.

-If you do DDs above 500 and are not losing, you may be getting too many calories (over the 2 day average) so try to lower your DD for a while.

-If you don't count calories on UD, please start counting and trying to stick those numbers. Dr. J responded to my questions!

-If you pretty much stick to your allotted UD calories without going over by much and you still don't lose, then try one UUAA day.

-If you never eat carbs, try eating some carbs. Or try a period of time of cycling your carbs (high/mod. carb to low carb)

-If you find you've been struggling to meet your UD calories, say from no appetite, and you haven't lost weight, then your body may be under a bad type of stress from too low calories. Do your best this week to land very close to your numbers - even going over them a bit, and see if you get results.

-If you're always going way over (by hundreds) on your calories, try landing very close to or just beneath the allotment.

-If you're eating a lot of carbs and especially refined ones, try a week of low or lowER carb.

-Omit MDs for a while if you're doing those, and just do the straight rotation.

-Go into maintenance. Really. Just take a breather and stop trying to lose for a whole month. Simply maintain and let your body and mind rest. This could be particularly helpful if you've lost weight quickly or a lot of weight over weeks and months, because your body needs some time to gear up for more loss. Enjoy maintaining. Don't actually work to lose weight! When/if you decide to lose more, jump back into a strong WLM again.

-Lower the length of DDs to 24 hours for a while (relates to the next item below), then go back to 36 hours.

-Go off JUDDD temporarily and into another type of IF. There are many. Fast 5, Warrior Diet, MUDDD, etc. If any of these appeal, try it for a week or two and then go back to regular JUDDD. Or do these other IF at the same time as JUDDD (such as changing the timing of your meals).

The point is, shake things up. Because it seems like there are people who do not do well with too few calories on the DD because it's lowering the 2-day average of calories too much and sending their body into stress (and holding onto weight as a result). And perhaps for some, their body can adapt even to JUDDD's every other day schedule.

So don't let your body adapt for too long. Throw it a curve ball. Or two. This is no race. Let your mind be happy and free and curious to just enjoy the experiments.

After a week or two of switching up, if there are no losses, go back to a strict JUDDD rotation with everything "by the book". Continue with regular JUDDD for a while, then feel free to engage in more IF as desired.

If this seems too complicated or like too much work, it may be at first, but somehow it came natural for me, no work once I got the hang of it. I just went with my schedule, how I felt, special events, impatience with restriction, etc. I always go back to regular JUDDD for a while until the need comes to change or I just feel like it's time.

Some other little things that might help are listed below. Some of these helped me feel better, and even look better, and may have helped me lose a little more (even though I was just doing it for better health not weight loss). They are in no particular order:

-I drink lots of green tea every day, not decaf, but regular green tea.

-Some are having success with a good resveratrol supplement. I still haven't gotten around to taking it.

-You could try another diet within the framework of JUDDD. Using myself for another example, for the last couple weeks I have been loosely following an anti-inflammation woe while doing JUDDD/IF.

-If you exercise like crazy every day, think about doing a little less. "Too much" exercise constantly is going to be too stressful to the body (just like too much of anything would be. Even good things for the body can start to have detrimental effects if they are overdone.) Rest, perhaps every other day from all but the gentle stuff is what I would do.

-I try to get to sleep before midnight. Magic hormone activity goes on during a couple different times after midnight, this includes your body giving itself shots of growth hormone, and there is cortisol involvement as well. (don't take note that this thread was posted after midnight. I'm getting sleeeepy.zzzz)

-Recently I experimented with not drinking alcohol during the week. This reduced calories, including those from "the munchies" (and also helped my stomach feel better and helped me sleep better).

-Some people who drink diet sodas or use a lot of AS have preferred to give it up or at least cut back. I never used that much AS, but now I enjoy the stevia blends like Truvia or Stevia in the Raw in my tea.

-I use a little VCO in cooking or taken with foods/drinks daily if I can.

-Lots of veggies (leafy greens plus many other colorful vegs and fruits. I aim for 6 – 9 different veggies/fruits or servings if I can eat that much)

-I try to get at least a little protein in first before having carbier foods. Like nuts before some fruit, for example.

-Reduce salt, particularly in the evening meal, to help with bloat.

-I eat seafood every day if I can. I never saw much effect (if any) with fish oil pills over the years, but recently started eating a serving of sardines or salmon or tuna, oysters, etc. almost daily and actually began feeling better (and I think, looking better) within days. I didn't throw fish on top of a McDonalds diet, for example, but rather this is in addition to the healthier eating such as more veggies.

-If you're not a water drinker, try to get some in somehow during the day anyway. I don't actually count or worry about the exact amount, but I do drink more than I used to. And I do consider tea drinking to be water drinking too, despite the caffeine.

-Some have found help with the Leptin Reset from Dr. Jack Kruse (especially the big breakfast part)

-If all else fails, have a doctor check your thyroid, your hormones, test for allergies.

I may think of more things later, and I will post if I do. If anyone can add to this, please do. Thanks.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 05-06-2012 at 11:29 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Sophiethecat, I really enjoyed reading your post. I found it to be very thoughtful and thought provoking. It was really nice that you shared your experiences and what you learned from them. It personally made me feel better to know that if things slow down for me or heaven forbid stall, you have given so many doable options , while still basically in the Juddd/ IF format. Congrats on the eleven pound loss under goal while in maintenance, kind of like Christmas came early for you. While I have an optimistic feeling about Juddd/IT your post has just encreased my optimism by letting me know that I can have even more control over my body and my weight loss than I realized.Thank you so much for taking the time to share all that you have learned by your trials and errors as well as your many successes.. I'm looking forward to updates about your maintenance journey. I'm sure we would all love some before and afters if you are comfortable with that. I wish for you continued success.you really
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dckisses
Wowiwowowow!!! Thanks so so much! I'll digest all your words with ultimate care! I really needed this! *hugs
Dckisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Awesome post Sophie! I feel that there is a Juddd book in you somewhere, just waiting to come out!
Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
VERY VERY VERY !!!
annieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
Cut, pasted and printed.

Thank you. So good to have so many tips in one place.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ragdoll24
Stats: 203/cw110.2/108.6 LDW
WOE: LC,IF,RX hCG Simeons for last 20 lbs. Phase3
Start Date: January 2007
Thanks so much for your excellent and thoughtful post.
Ragdoll24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
WOE: JUDDD
What a true gem you are to have compiled all that information in such a comprehensive and informative post.

It not only helps newbies, but also serves as an ongoing reminder to those of us who have been maintaining for awhile and thinking of releasing more.

We are so very lucky to have you as one of our JUDDD mentors, and I can feel the love through your words.

Love ya right back, Sophie!!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Thank you Sophie for taking the time to gather and post such detailed thoughts and information. I'm pretty sure I fall under the category of "lost a bunch of weight and now need to rest." I've been toying with going into maintenance for the rest of May and actually decided yesterday to go ahead and do it. I'm starting with DDs of 750 and will increase in a week if I need/want to. Who knows--it may just be that my body wants more calories on DDs to lose, but if that's not the case, I'm excited to go into a more rested, less stressful state for a while.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Sophie you are so brilliant. And patient, that took a long time to write! Thank you.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 16/10/8 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD 1850/600
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Fabulous. Just fabulous. Thank you so much
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
The 'go into maintenance' idea fascinates me.

On this, and on past successful diets/WOEs I have treated stalls the same way: figure out if I am doing something wrong (found a whopper this time ).

If I seemed to be doing the WOE correctly, then I would adjust cals/carbs down and up to see if the change broke me out of the stall.

If it did, good.

If it did not, then I assumed my body had something more important to do than lose weight - and that something probably resulted from the weight I had already lost. So I ate at the level that had been giving me the loss. And I waited. Usually in three or four months weight loss resumed.

I was always happy with that.

But some of our recent discussions have me wondering: if I had increased cals/carbs to maintenance levels would the wait have been shorter? Putting that another way, if I had given my body more resources & energy to work with would it have finished the work it needed to do, and gotten back to losing weight, more quickly?

I suspect that is what would have happened.

My April stall was accidentally self-induced. But when the next stall happens I intend to follow that plan: check for errors, shake things up a bit, then if nothing works, dive into maintenance at my current level for a month or however long it takes. (Anywhere I stop now, I am so very much better off than I was before!)

Health is paramount to me. I am actually rather proud of being almost 60 and on no prescription meds, with no serious medical issues. If my body needs time and energy to ensure that continues, I am going to give it the what it needs!

---

PS - Dawn, I think that is a GREAT plan for you!!!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 05-07-2012 at 05:14 AM..
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #13

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Thanks Nancy. I'm excited.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinjob
Stats: 157/156/130
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: November 7, 2011 (Did Atkins first in 2001)
Thanks so much for this!
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lianora Mosswood
Stats: 165/121/115 5'3" 54 yrs
WOE: locarb primal juddd
Start Date: January 2011
What a really nice thing to do! Thank you!
Lianora Mosswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Sophie what a great post!!!!!! Wonderful ideas for all of us to use.

I think this needs to go under the "Sticky" area because this is information we all need. I would hate for it to get buried.
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #17

Gallery: lynnjp
Stats: 273/179/150
WOE: Began JUDDD 3/18/12 UD1600 DD 490
Start Date: 4/28/2001
This was a MUST read for me-have been stuck for over a month at that old 172 and just can not seem to break through the barrier where I always get stuck and eventually give up. Thanks SO much for offering all these ideas in one place-I have saved it and will begin to think about where my problems lie and use the strategies accordingly!! The folks here are honestly some of the best on the board SO willing to share information and help others make the plan work for them and it is much appreciated!!!
lynnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Sophie, that was an amazing post. Thank you for taking the time to compile it and type it all out.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Wonderful and informative post!!!

We need a sticky for some of the abbreviations. For example, I've been seeing UUAA days and canNOT figure out what that is! Somebody tell me, please!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #20

Gallery: lynnjp
Stats: 273/179/150
WOE: Began JUDDD 3/18/12 UD1600 DD 490
Start Date: 4/28/2001
Not positive vanilla but I am guessing it is an Up Up and Away day which is where you eat anything and everything in sight which sounds pretty good to me right now LOL~~~
lynnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Sophie, this is such an excellent post! This is one that I think every single JUDDDer could benefit from, no matter what stage we're at, either just starting out, in maintenance, those having an easy time or those who are struggling. I know we all get frustrated when we don't understand what's going on with our bodies and it seems that no matter what we do, we don't seem to get the benefits or results that we want. Even those who seem to be in smooth sailing hit snags from time to time. There's some really good advice here on what steps we can take to try and change things for the better when things aren't going right or if we backslide or just get derailed. I know I'll definitely be referring back to this post frequently.

I keep going back to that point about how important it is to make JUDDD work for you in maintenance. I need that flexibility and freedom or I won't stick with it for life. I know it because I've been on 10 million diets in the past couple decades and have never gotten anywhere near goal, but have instead made some record time in regaining my weight every single time. I do NOT want that to happen this time, and so I've been pushing my limits with JUDDD and trying to make it work for me the way you've been doing. A fast weight loss means a lot less to me to than a maintainable weight loss.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to research all of this and organize everything in such an easy way to understand for not only JUDDD veterans but newbies as well, along with sharing your own experiences. You've been so helpful to me and other JUDDDers here on our journey.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well Sophie,, I did take your adivse on this.. YEsterdays DD I began to eat as my body asked for it... and the scarey part was... IT KEPT ASKING~.. By days end yesterday i had consumed 856 caloires instaed of my normal 120... I was confussed.. so im sure i confused my body as well:hystr: I kept thinking of differnt foods that sounded great for a dinner item and said,, well tomrw i cant eat that, its a DD.. Then i rememberd,, OMG No TODAY IS MY DD!!! So today is an up day.. weird to eat two days in a row.. its been almost a full month sicne i stoped eating on my down days.. i sure felt like cheated somthing awfull,, i did not want to get on my scale today to see how awfull it was..i had weighed the same as i had after my last dd weigh. no change.. but no gain.. sp perhpas thing will get bouncing again~ Thanks for this spot to read what to do in all one place.. LOVE YA GIRL~
1994 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
I just wanted to join everyone in thanking you for putting this all together in one spot! THANK YOU!! It sounds like dieting might be a bit like exercise in that we can get good results from doing the same thing all the time but perhaps improved results from shaking things up a bit.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #24
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
You are the "cat's meow" our wonderful JUDDD BUDDD!

Thanks so much for this amazing thread!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
Thanks for the great post.

I've been the same weight since the end of April. I haven't been tracking or planning my eating, so I can't say for sure if I'm "stuck" or not. I'm going to track EVERYTHING this week and see where I am at the end of the week, and make a decision based on this weeks results.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #26

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Sophiecat you are a true angel. Another post that needs to be a 'sticky'. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to think this all through.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/163.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
I'm totally satisfied with my loss but may just for S&G do low carb on all my UDs next week. I miss low carb sometimes...
Becky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Sophie......YOU ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fixin
Stats: 5 ft 9 140/128/130
WOE: cycling carbs and calories (JUDD Enthusiast)
Absolutely brilliant post. Love that you think outside the box. I do my own version of shaking things up. It truly works and is my motto and mantra - never adapt.
fixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post

i love this post too! it could be one of the most important threads that will be posted for new juddders and those who have been juddding and not happy

Since then, I've come up with my own variations on IF.
i think this is the most important part of JUDDD. in the last few months ive learned that besides habit, environment is the most important factor of the way we are eating. finding something that works with you and your lifestyle is key.

withable
!!!!

I love JUDDD dearly, but switching things up like this has been great for me. It lets me fit any schedule/event need while still getting the benefits of IF. It makes me relaxed mentally/emotionally. And, I've continued to lose in maintenance.
what i was just saying, YES!

Before going on, I want to emphasize that I'm never ever saying my way is the right way for anyone else. We're all different.
I don't want to confuse anyone new to JUDDD. But this is what has worked great for me. Yet if any of the following things give you some food for thought or any help at all, please take from it what you can.

simply appreciate this statement =)

You should only change things after at least 2 full weeks of regular JUDDD "by the book" to give the sirtuins time to kick in.
=)

below i just wanted to agree with what i have tested and gone through myself.
-If you do fasting DDs or very low calorie DD (under 500 cal) and you're not losing, then your body may be under a bad type of stress. Try 500 – 800 calorie DDs.
this not only worked, see my weigh-ins. i no longer bounce and ONLY LOSE! i upped my DD to the 35% weight loss and lowered my UDs by the difference. (for me 1000 calories ...yes 1000 lol)

-If you do DDs above 500 and are not losing, you may be getting too many calories (over the 2 day average) so try to lower your DD for a while.
i tried this and it was and i was pretty much the same as regular JUDDD for me

-If you never eat carbs, try eating some carbs. Or try a period of time of cycling your carbs (high/mod. carb to low carb)
coming from VLC and scared to death of eating carbs, juddd has taught me i can in fact eat carbs and it has helped me control my carbs. something i never ever ever ever thought i would ever be able to do in my life

-If you're always going way over (by hundreds) on your calories, try landing very close to or just beneath the allotment.
if you just cant do 500 or the DD allowed i would suggest subtracting from the UD as we talked about above

-If you're eating a lot of carbs and especially refined ones, try a week of low or lowER carb.
heck yes, i dont think i would have the control i have over carbs and food if i did not do LC first

-Omit MDs for a while if you're doing those, and just do the straight rotation.
or do them a couple times a month is you are NOT losing.

-Lower the length of DDs to 24 hours for a while (relates to the next item below), then go back to 36 hours.
another point of what i did when i went to higher 35% and it has helped. if you do, then perhaps toss in a 36 once a week or so. just like the MD, just keep the body guessing =)

-Go off JUDDD temporarily and into another type of IF. There are many. Fast 5, Warrior Diet, MUDDD, etc. If any of these appeal, try it for a week or two and then go back to regular JUDDD. Or do these other IF at the same time as JUDDD (such as changing the timing of your meals).
why juddd is so awesome is how you can customize it so much

The point is, shake things up.
SHE IS SMAAAAART!!

So don't let your body adapt for too long. Throw it a curve ball.
i said SMAAAAAART!

After a week or two of switching up, if there are no losses, go back to a strict JUDDD rotation with everything "by the book".
DONT QUIT! find us and hopefully we can figure out a WOE that works for your body!! we are here JUDDD or not!

If this seems too complicated or like too much work, it may be at first, but somehow it came natural for me, no work once I got the hang of it. I just went with my schedule, how I felt, special events, impatience with restriction, etc. I always go back to regular JUDDD for a while until the need comes to change or I just feel like it's time.

a lot of us like JUDDD because of how simple it is, the same thing with LC. but making something a WOE for life could take you a couple months to find. we'll figure it out!

-I drink lots of green tea every day, not decaf, but regular green tea.
i started a thread about water today. im thinking i wasnt drinking enough my first month of JUDDD

-Some are having success with a good resveratrol supplement. I still haven't gotten around to taking it.
i have this stuff but i do not have an opinion on it yet, but i am thinking my Relora is working well

-If you exercise like crazy every day, think about doing a little less. "Too much" exercise constantly is going to be too stressful to the body (just like too much of anything would be. Even good things for the body can start to have detrimental effects if they are overdone.) Rest, perhaps every other day from all but the gentle stuff is what I would do.

i was working out 7 days a week and moved to 6 because i LOVED the way i feel after on a DD with no exercise. its unique and i dont hold water making me feel a weeee bit thinner. i lose more weight (the water) however i know darn well its needed, 6 days it is!

-I try to get to sleep before midnight. Magic hormone activity goes on during a couple different times after midnight, this includes your body giving itself shots of growth hormone, and there is cortisol involvement as well.
for YEARS i wasnt in bed before 4 or 5am (work for myself at home) and since juddding i have been going to bed so much earlier. the first few weeks of this and i was sooooo tired, even though i woke up fully energized. there is something to be said about sleeping with this. i maybe posting more about this later in the week and about the relora i take

-Recently I experimented with not drinking alcohol during the week. This reduced calories, including those from "the munchies" (and also helped my stomach feel better and helped me sleep better).

i think a lot of you know i experimented with red wine on an empty stomache before bed for a couple weeks. i will say during that time i lost a little more but i am not yet giving credit to the red wine. but i didnt like it because it did in fact mess with my sleep... a lot. alcohol is not a natural sleep.

-Some people who drink diet sodas or use a lot of AS have preferred to give it up or at least cut back. I never used that much AS, but now I enjoy the stevia blends like Truvia or Stevia in the Raw in my tea.
im addicted to diet coke like you cannot believe. i feel as if i know exactly how a smoker is. i know its bad but the effects arent there today. i think it causes my stalls during LC but i just cant quit the stuff. but i have made a deal with myself that i have to drink tea or water in between dc's. its helped me cut down 50% or so. thank gravy that i dont think juddd is bothered by this but they say some people get binge urges with this stuff.

-I use a little VCO in cooking or taken with foods/drinks daily if I can.
i do believe vco is a miracle food and im looking to work it into my fast breaks

-Lots of veggies (leafy greens plus many other colorful vegs and fruits. I aim for 6 – 9 different veggies/fruits or servings if I can eat that much)
mmmmmm veggies....YUCK!! i just bought a ninja so i can make fruit smoothies and sneak in veggies i should be eating, we'll see how that goes, BLAAAAHCH

-I try to get at least a little protein in first before having carbier foods. Like nuts before some fruit, for example.
Im betting half of us or more dont like breakfast but i think pushing a little food down like protein might help the rest of the day

-Reduce salt, particularly in the evening meal, to help with bloat.
pizza. eeeesh, when im done i force fluids down because i know i just punished myself and want the salt out...but dang was it worth it! (sometimes)

-I eat seafood every day if I can. I never saw much effect (if any) with fish oil pills over the years, but recently started eating a serving of sardines or salmon or tuna, oysters, etc. almost daily and actually began feeling better (and I think, looking better) within days. I didn't throw fish on top of a McDonalds diet, for example, but rather this is in addition to the healthier eating such as more veggies.
why do i lose weight when i suck down 20 mcnuggets WITH fries?? seriously...

I may think of more things later, and I will post if I do. If anyone can add to this, please do. Thanks.

thanks sophiethecat. this thread should be sticky. i hope i didnt go overboard with my comments. i remember you asked me to chime in so people dont think i am going all ego on this thread. just wanted to, well basically agree with everything she said and just say that i have done a lot of these things and IT WORKED. We're here for ya'll!
awesome post sophiethecat!
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote