Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
baby food anyone?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has, well, stooped to eating baby food on DD's. I couldn't help noticing that some of the organic baby food comes in conveniently low-calorie packages. On the other hand I can't get past the psychological block of eating baby food (even though that's completely irrational).

Anyone eat baby food?
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I can only answer for myself, but I wouldn't choose to go that route.

On Down Days, I enjoy a huge skillet of stir fry featuring broccoli florets, green pepper chunks, lots of sliced mushrooms, some sliced carrots, and some onion chunks. I often add bean sprouts and/or spinach. I weigh all my portions out and usually find I can fill the big skillet with under 200 calories. I top this with my sugar free General Tso's sauce.. hot and sweet and spicy! It is yummy, and makes a big plateful. Very filling.

Sometimes I make a spaghetti meal with a huge mound of shirataki noodles covered with some thick spaghetti sauce, and I fill the sauce with chopped peppers and onions, zucchini chunks, plenty of minced garlic, and sometimes a bit of lean ground beef. I can make a heaping plateful of this for under 200 calories too!

Sometimes I'm in the mood for an omelet made from egg whites only. But, of course, I add in a bunch of the above very low calorie vegetables to bulk up the meal and can have yet another heaping plateful of food for very few calories.

I'm big on FOOD for my meals... food I can chew and that puts some bulk in my stomach. And that still remains very low calorie.

Once you get some of your favorites figured out, you will find you can eat very well on DDs while still sticking within your calorie limits.

We all get to choose the foods we want to make our meals from, but I wouldn't be one who would choose baby food. (Although I could see myself adding some chopped onion and relish and seasonings to some baby food meat and using it as a spread on good crackers! LOLOL)
Old 05-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Oh my... that would not be the route I choose for myself. There are way better fulfilling choices to select. See the down day recipe thread.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Plus I think the taste would be not terribly yummy! I remember when I used to feed my daughter baby food 20 odd years ago, I tasted everything she ate. Bland, bland, bland. And of course it should be for babies. My palate is more sophisticated! (Not by much, though). LOL!
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Manday
Stats: 250/233/130 5'3"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 4/19/2012
I have not chosen to go this route, even though I have thought of it in the past. I have a cousin by marriage that survived on baby food for a long time. He discovered that he was severly allergic to preservatives and they couldn't get him enough to eat on other types of food as they figured out what he could and couldn't have. Baby food does not have preservatives, so that's what he ate for a long, long time. And he couldn't even spice it up because a lot of spices have preservatives in them, too!

So, while I don't know that I would do this, there can be benefits to it if you feel that you need to take this step to meet your calorie goals or to eliminate certain foods or chemicals. The very purpose of baby food lends itself to elimination diets since babies are normally slowly introduced to new foods.

But, doing this may open one up to many more questions than you would ever get by eating whole foods (as well as much more criticism from others less inclined to support you) so there is another thing to consider.

Just my experience and thoughts.
Manday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Ok - now I need the name or recipe for the sugar free General Tso sauce?? Pat?
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
No thanks! Can't even stand the smell of the stuff never mind eat it to save a few calories.

So many "whole" foods (not pureed) are so low in calories I could never see me eating baby food instead.

I can't even see babies eating baby food!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingJudd View Post
Ok - now I need the name or recipe for the sugar free General Tso sauce?? Pat?
You can work with this basic recipe, making it higher or lower cal, more of an *orange sauce* or no orange flavor at all, or add a lot of heat with the chili oil, etc. You decide how you like it to taste. One change I made was to use the Walden Farm's 0 calorie Pancake Syrup instead of the sugar free honey and corn syrup, and that cuts the calories down a LOT. So that change makes it very low calorie for Down Days.

SoHappy's General Tso/Orange Sauce

adjust to suit your carb level

2-3/4 Cups 0-calorie orange beverage
1/2 Cup soy sauce (I use regular, but you can choose low sodium if needed)
2 Tbsp. frozen orange juice concentrate (you can skip this and save some calories, but I like a good orange flavor so enjoy this addition)
1 T white vinegar (rice vinegar is wonderful but not necessary, and you can certainly add in more if you are going for a sweet & 'sour' flavor)
3 cloves of garlic (I mince and then put through the garlic press, and then toss it all in)
2 tsp ginger root, minced (I buy pint jars of this stuff, already minced/ground at my local Asian market)
1/4 Cup sugar free Honey (I use the Honey Tree brand.. maltitol here..!)
1/4 Cup corn syrup (here's where you will want to sub something else sweet if this type of sweetener causes you problems! and you can also save some calories if you use something else which is sugar-free..)
2 pkts Splenda (I don't use Splenda so don't keep it on hand much but had this......)
1 Tbsp hot chili oil (Asian market again.. I use the kind with the ground up chilis all mixed up in the oil.. hot, hot, HOT!! use more or less to taste)
Thicken with 3 tsp. glucomannon powder

Measure all this stuff into your blender, put on the lid, start it on low, and when the initial 'surge' is over, keep it blending and remove the lid. Slowly sprinkle 3 teaspoons of glucomannon powder into the whirling sauce and blend it until it thickens.

Version 2 (General Tso):

Here is my recipe for General Tso's Sauce. You can also make this sauce into a recipe for Orange Chicken by substituting out the chicken broth with 0-cal orange drink. This version is an adaptation that works for my JUDDD Down Days and comes in at *approximately* 15 or 16 calories per 1/4 cup of sauce.

1-1/2 cups canned chicken broth
3/4 cup Walden Farms' Calorie Free Pancake Syrup
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup wine
1-1/2 tsp grated ginger
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp. glucomannan powder, to thicken
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Awesome! Thanks Pat!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
The thing is, even though they're relatively low cal per jar, it's literally like 2-3 bites of food. I would probably need about 20 jars to feel full, even on a DD, and at 80-130+ calories per jar, it's definitely not a good deal in my book. I could find a million things that are much more filling and satisfying not to mention better tasting for the same amount of calories.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
I have four words for you....

Revolution Foods Organic Mashups!!!

Love love love....

Then again, I have a baby food fetish...

PLUS it doesn't look like you're eating baby food!! (theyre made for kids, not babies)
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:00 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I used to love some of my son's baby food fruits--pears & raspberries, oh my!!!
I have seriously considered "the baby food diet" for my DDs, but am afraid it would be too many carbs/not enough protein, as well as too expensive for me.

However, the drawbacks that others are mentioning--small servings, blandness--are what I look for in DD foods! Lol!

I AVOID big piles of low-cal veggies (salads, soups, stir-fries) on DDs; without fat &/or protein, they make me feel ill. And they mess with my blood sugar, which makes me feel ill in a different way.

I AVOID most spicy & tasty foods on DDs--certain flavors (onions, garlic, hot sauces) trigger a desire to add cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, etc, as well as a desire to just keep eating!!!

Everyone's different...baby food might work for you! At the least, it's very portable and doesn't need refrigeration--good for car, work, gym*, etc. Also, if you're really busy or traveling, you could pop into just about any store & find it. And maybe limiting yourself to baby food would reduce the chances of going off-plan.

*Nobody there will bat an eye! I've been seeing grown-ups eating baby food at the gym for 25 years!

*ETA: have you heard of the high reward/low reward food theory? I think baby food could fit well with this.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 05-07-2012 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: eta
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #13
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I think the fruits would be very convenient for knowing exactly what the calories and carbs are.
I could see using them for smoothies because you could freeze the pureed fruits (or veggies if you go for a green smoothie) as ice
The pureed carrots and butternut squash for soups maybe?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
oooooooooooooh brings back memories I used to buy the pinapple desert for my sons and never seamed to ever feed it to them! I loved to buy and eat that as a treat oh holy baby~ Ya know.. ya could go the whole pudding or jello route? that sounds delish to me today ymmmmm ~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TraciLew
Stats: 210/208.5/145 5'5"
Start Date: 4/11/12
Only in my homemade carrot cake I make for DH's birthday every year - Paula Deen's recipe calls for baby food jars of carrots - mighty yummy cake though haha
TraciLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Thank you Pat! Your DD description has my mouth watering like you wouldn't believe!!! Can't wait for to make this sauce!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote