Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #151
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now. Helped along by Juddd
Vanilla, you're beautiful.
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #152
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Elise - I have definitely thought about doing that and might be the best of both worlds! Giving my body a little extra while still healing. Heck, I guess I should be happy I've got maintenance down!

Kristin - Aw!!! You are so adorably sweet!!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttoni View Post
I started BHRT, both implants and transdermal creams, 1 year ago and I bounced up 5# in under 2 weeks right at first on them. My doc told me to expect that, so it came as no surprise. But sex hormones are so important to weight maintaining, until you get them balanced just right, I have read countless articles on-line that indicate you will struggle to lose any weight at all until they ARE in balance. Anyhow, a year later, I'm down to my lowest weight in years, FINALLY, and hope to get this last 17# off by year's end? Maybe.
Buttoni,

I don't know how I missed this response, but would love to have some of these links that discuss this. I wonder also if you know of a forum that talks about balancing hormones. I need help!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

vanilla,
I really believe exactly as Joy has stated that "listening" while tweaking is going to be the key. I tried very diligently to do the numbers exactly as the calculator originally had me at and I couldn't for the life of me get to the UD. I could if I were to eat out on a regular basis, but the way I eat at home, I couldn't. I eat very simply, but mostly whole food. So, then I made certain that my DD number is always within the 20-35% range and I brought my UD down by about 200 calories and it is working.

Now, and then I can eat the full UD amount and always strive for that, but in reality, I need to eat to fullness, but not to "uncomfortable" fullness. If I listen to that, I am amazed at how well I do with losing.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 07-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Vanilla!

Speaking from kept-the-ovaries experience, the doctor may say you are healed but your body really is still recovering. YOU know what happened and why. All your body knows is a major component is gone. Your body is adjusting to hormonal changes, it is in shock, it is building scars and dealing with tubing that is suddenly obsolete, it is holding on to what it has because it does not know what is going to happen next.

Give yourself time.

If I were you, I would go into maintenance level eating for awhile. At least until the end of July. Possibly even part or all of August. I would give my body enough calories to deal with the shock and the changes while keeping sirtuin enzyme production active.

During that time, I would definitely do some serious experimenting. Liquid chlorophyll is amazing. Large doses of probiotics are very supportive of internal healing. Play with veggie to protein to fat ratios - it is very likely what you need is going to change. Tweak, but tweak at a higher DD range.

You may be one of the 20%. I don't think you are. After all, you do see NSVs and you did lose weight while dealing with a physical situation serious enough to require surgery. I am still betting you are going to see weight loss speed up once you are really recovered.

It is hard. I know. Last spring I had the frustration of dropping from two pounds/week to less than 1/3 a pound/week. Spending some time in maintenance revitalized me. When I jumped back in, everything was new.

It is hard. Get well.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #156
Major LCF Poster!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you, sunday and Nancy! Great advice!

I just posted in the daily thread that I need to be kinder to my body and remember the trauma it's been through. My doctor hasn't said I'm healed, she most definitely said it takes quite awhile. I think since I feel good 90% of the time, it's hard for me to remember all the healing that's going on inside. Thanks for being specific on the reminder of what all's going on inside.

I hit a low in May and it inched back up in June before the surgery, so I don't know what that was about. Once I found I needed to eat up to my UD calories, I began losing. I do have to remember that my clothes still feel fine (if I don't wear button pants!), so I have to believe it's just the surgery bloat.

I'm going to be gentle on myself until August, then get back with the regular calories.

Thank you both - and all - for your very kind support, encouragement and advice!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Vanilla, healing after surgery is stressful (and puffy). You scream and yell and sob as often as you need to.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:20 PM   #159
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Vanilla!

Speaking from kept-the-ovaries experience, the doctor may say you are healed but your body really is still recovering. YOU know what happened and why. All your body knows is a major component is gone. Your body is adjusting to hormonal changes, it is in shock, it is building scars and dealing with tubing that is suddenly obsolete, it is holding on to what it has because it does not know what is going to happen next.

Give yourself time.

If I were you, I would go into maintenance level eating for awhile. At least until the end of July. Possibly even part or all of August. I would give my body enough calories to deal with the shock and the changes while keeping sirtuin enzyme production active.

During that time, I would definitely do some serious experimenting. Liquid chlorophyll is amazing. Large doses of probiotics are very supportive of internal healing. Play with veggie to protein to fat ratios - it is very likely what you need is going to change. Tweak, but tweak at a higher DD range.

You may be one of the 20%. I don't think you are. After all, you do see NSVs and you did lose weight while dealing with a physical situation serious enough to require surgery. I am still betting you are going to see weight loss speed up once you are really recovered.

It is hard. I know. Last spring I had the frustration of dropping from two pounds/week to less than 1/3 a pound/week. Spending some time in maintenance revitalized me. When I jumped back in, everything was new.

It is hard. Get well.
This is such a valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Thank you, sunday and Nancy! Great advice!

I just posted in the daily thread that I need to be kinder to my body and remember the trauma it's been through. My doctor hasn't said I'm healed, she most definitely said it takes quite awhile. I think since I feel good 90% of the time, it's hard for me to remember all the healing that's going on inside. Thanks for being specific on the reminder of what all's going on inside.

I hit a low in May and it inched back up in June before the surgery, so I don't know what that was about. Once I found I needed to eat up to my UD calories, I began losing. I do have to remember that my clothes still feel fine (if I don't wear button pants!), so I have to believe it's just the surgery bloat.

I'm going to be gentle on myself until August, then get back with the regular calories.

Thank you both - and all - for your very kind support, encouragement and advice!
That is the right attitude Vanilla. Keep on keeping on.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
I feel like I've lost a lot of ground lately.

It's a "good" month for me if I lose 3lbs. I lost less than a pound in June, but that wasn't surprising, because I had a car accident; lots of inflammation & pain, and I've been pretty sedentary (still...almost any activity leaves me in renewed pain for 2-3 days. And my neck & right side of my chest just hurt almost all the time). Also, TOM arrived right at the beginning and again right at the end of the month, so I didn't get good numbers to compare to May.

But this past week I have suddenly gained 4-6lbs.
AND I HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN UNUSUALLY HUNGRY LATELY!!!
If anything, I'd say I've been less interested in food.
Seriously...I'm so distressed. It's like I just lost at least 3-4 months of progress, assuming I don't gain any more and depending on how long it takes to get back to my end-of-May weight.

The only things that have changed are
--I took antibiotics for a persistent earache...maybe that interfered with my gut flora. The sad thing is, I've resisted taking antibiotics for years; I've been off the meds for just a few days and the pain is coming back already.
--I take an antidepressant, and my insurance only pays for generic meds. The pharmacy has given me different versions over the years...last month the pills changed unexpectedly from purple to white. Different manufacturer info on the labels.

I've been on this medication since 2007, and have gained weight rapidly since taking it; sometimes 10-15lbs a month!!! But, through diligent effort, I have managed to at least STOP gaining weight, and have been stabilized for a few years.

I think this is the more likely scenario, so I'm going to stop by the pharmacy tomorrow and ask if they can order from the other manufacturer.

But I'm also taking extra probiotics.

***I'm not looking for advice on calories or exercise or anything...just venting. Thank you.***
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PJ & Vanilla.

You both deserve a break and I wish I could give you both a hug tonight. I wish you both much relief!

I am finding out so much about my body through JUDDD. I am facing some issues with my adrenals and hormones, so my sluggish weight loss and a few other issues has alerted me that I must get this resolved.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #162

PJ this is so tough, when you can't avoid taking the meds but you know they make you gain weight. Hopefully they'll be able to get you the other pills.

You are such a support to all of us on here and I only wish I had a way to give back some of that now, when you are feeling low. All I can do is say that we care and are with you in spirit.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #163
Major LCF Poster!

PJ,
We're such ridiculously complex organisms and we become even more complex with medications thrown in. I have HUGE admiration for your intelligence in all of this. I wish we could find a way to ride these waves more easily. (Perhaps the support here does that.)
Love, peace, wellbeing, and weight-loss-supporting-manufacturers sent your way.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #164

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
PJ.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:29 AM   #165
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
(((hugs))) to PJ and Vanilla.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #166
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
HUGS to you PJ.. love ya gal~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/285/<160 (5'7")
WOE: LC/JUDDD/Fast5/Diabetes Miracle 2010-12
Start Date: 2014: Shangri-La
Thank you, my lovely lovely BUDDDS!!!

Today at least I am under 270 again. Whew!!!

Just to give you an idea of how crazy it's been--

June 25-July 1st:
267.4, 267.6, 268.2, 267.6, 267.0, 269.0, 270.0 (avg 268.1)
July 2-8:
270.0, 268.8, 269.6, 268.0, 267.4, 268.0 (avg 268.6)
July 9-15:
270.8, 271.2, 272.8, 271.6, 272.8, 273.2, 272.4 (avg 272.1)

Today: 269.6 (-2.8 since yesterday?!)

Hey, this forum really does seem to be magic!
As soon as we complain about needing a whoosh or being constipated, something happens!!!

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-16-2012 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: (avg)
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:22 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Y'all rock!

PJ, I can certainly relate to your ups and downs!! I stayed stuck for almost 2 months, then finally began losing once I truly ate all my UD cals. Then began inching up before surgery. Glad to see you're moving downward again. Maybe we should have daily RV's? (rants and vents)

Besides all the other success stories here, Dawn is blowing me away - literally! When I came back to JUDDD in March, she was pretty much where I was last year. Now she's blown past me and leaving dust marks! Sheridan's doing awesome, too.

I want what they're having!!!!

I'm feeling more and more like myself. Seems I go a few days rocking and rolling, THEN my body reminds me it's healing instead of daily or every other day! I'm coming up on four weeks post-op already, can you believe it? I've upped my DD cals as suggested and will gauge how that is working. Despite lack of success on the scale, at least my clothes are all still feeling good (except when I get Swelly Belly).

to all my BUDDDs!
Old 07-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #169
Major LCF Poster!

Swelly Belly, so glad to hear about your recovery, and the recovery of bot your optimism and your admiration of your amazing bod.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #170

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD

Honestly, I slowed to a crawl before I decided to do the "maintenance break" thing, and I think that's what kept me going. I still lost a little, but now I seem to be back in a groove. I'm sure my slow-down was related to my medication/illness issues, so I hope yours is too. Give yourself a break, be kind to yourself, and let your body dictate when it's time to go like gangbusters. All told though, I've lost 3 pounds in 16 days. That's not nearly the speed I was losing at before, but I'm still stoked!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #171
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Swelly Belly, so glad to hear about your recovery, and the recovery of bot your optimism and your admiration of your amazing bod.
Aw, , you are so sweet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post

Honestly, I slowed to a crawl before I decided to do the "maintenance break" thing, and I think that's what kept me going. I still lost a little, but now I seem to be back in a groove. I'm sure my slow-down was related to my medication/illness issues, so I hope yours is too. Give yourself a break, be kind to yourself, and let your body dictate when it's time to go like gangbusters. All told though, I've lost 3 pounds in 16 days. That's not nearly the speed I was losing at before, but I'm still stoked!
I'm trying to figure out if - once I get back into it full swing - if I should up my DD to near maintenance level once I lose a few like I was before. It's that tweak thing that I think I'll have to do - which makes me because I can't seem to figure out what works for me - I don't want to be a thread killa AND a tweaka. But, I am being more lenient with myself because of all the suggestions to and because I know my body needs a few more calories to heal. I've seen you go for days at the same weight, then lose again. You are such a success in the making! Saw the updates on Rhiannon and Jan - will keep them in my prayers.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I don't want to be a thread killa AND a tweaka.
I am watching you for those thread killings Vanilla! You crack me up.

We'll beat that Swelly Belly yet. Keep on tweaking.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:31 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/74 years old 169/159/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Oh, I really can relate to all of these posts! Surgery and all of the other "issues" we endure certainly can cause havoc. Been there, done that I can assure you. Patience, rest, no worries. Six weeks will find you in such a better place. I have been lurking because of lack of time to think about posting. My DH is battling head and neck cancer and that alone takes up quite a bit of my time. My weight has been bouncing all over the place. If I eat up to my UD limit of 1400-1500 cals. I just keep the bounce. Keeping my DD's at 500-600 takes so much discipline. Sigh. I never will lose that way. I don't have any trouble staying at around 700-800 but less is pushing it for me. I keep saying that "if" I can do it for just one darned day maybe I could actually see what is possible. Today is a DD and I will come in at about 1000 cals. See what I mean? Maybe I should eat more and make it an UD and then do a DD tomorrow. I'm not really hungry though and don't want to stuff myself just to get the numbers up. Such indecision.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #174
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I am watching you for those thread killings Vanilla! You crack me up.

We'll beat that Swelly Belly yet. Keep on tweaking.
I should change my siggy to reflect my thread killing tendencies. I upped my DD cals a bit and seem to be going up 2, down 2 consistently. I'll be 4 weeks post-op tomorrow and thinking maybe my body is ready to get back to it. Will ride out this week and see what happens. August is just around the corner anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQ View Post
Oh, I really can relate to all of these posts! Surgery and all of the other "issues" we endure certainly can cause havoc. Been there, done that I can assure you. Patience, rest, no worries. Six weeks will find you in such a better place. I have been lurking because of lack of time to think about posting. My DH is battling head and neck cancer and that alone takes up quite a bit of my time. My weight has been bouncing all over the place. If I eat up to my UD limit of 1400-1500 cals. I just keep the bounce. Keeping my DD's at 500-600 takes so much discipline. Sigh. I never will lose that way. I don't have any trouble staying at around 700-800 but less is pushing it for me. I keep saying that "if" I can do it for just one darned day maybe I could actually see what is possible. Today is a DD and I will come in at about 1000 cals. See what I mean? Maybe I should eat more and make it an UD and then do a DD tomorrow. I'm not really hungry though and don't want to stuff myself just to get the numbers up. Such indecision.
Thanks, Suze, each day I feel better and better. I need to remember you and DH in my prayers - I can't imagine having to deal with that. As for the DD cals, maybe drop them slowly - like 25 or 30 calories at a time. You maybe not be getting enough of a deficit between the days to lose anything. Is that all your UD calories are?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/74 years old 169/159/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
Vanilla: You are so kind. I try to keep 1000 calories between DD and UD. So, if I have 550 today, tomorrow will be 1550. That is an avg. of 1050/day. I can go up to about 1150 and still lose, albeit slowly though. I think that fits in to Dr. J's plan.
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Any of you fellow slow losers dealing with age/hormone issues? I have been feeling like TOM is coming on for weeks now but haven't had one for 70+ days and I still have cramping and other symptoms. Coincidentally (not!) I have managed to GAIN 4-5 pounds during this period of time and I am ready to tear my hair (or womb) out! Some people tell me it gets easier to lose weight when the craziness is finally over. I fervently hope so! thoughts? experiences?
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #177
Major LCF Poster!

Trying, I'm in the same position. I laugh when younger women say they're frustrated by pre-menstrual symptoms, because these days I get symptoms on and off and on and off all the time. I menstruate occasionally but live about a third of the month in PMS! I don't mind it, although I miss that predictable weight loss post-period. I figure it just smooths out and gets more peaceful after a bit. Wishful thinking, perhaps, but I'm a big fan of wishful thinking.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
arghhh Joyjoy I wish I could be as philosophical as you but I am just plain frustrated. I think I need to reach that zen state that recognizes there is precious little I can do about my age and resistant body but at the same time my health and sanity depend on making progress. Seems Mother Nature has put me in a no-win situation and I have a few choice words for her!
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:23 AM   #179

This too shall pass, says one of the oldies here.

Sorry you are having such a tough time Trying x
Old 07-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Prior to menopause I could lose about 20 pounds on low carb or LC. Then I stalled. Stress eating put the weight back on.

During menopause I could not lose period. Eating patterns that had worked before failed. Of course, I did not know about JUDDD at that time so cannot speak to whether it would have failed.

Post meno, almost 40 pounds down. I do not lose quickly but I do lose.