Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I'm definitely another slow loser. I've been JUDDDing since late October last year, so it's been over 6 months, and I've lost only 17 lbs in this time. It took me over 3 weeks after I started JUDDD before I lost any weight at all, and about 2 months later, I stalled for almost 4 months straight with ZERO weight loss at all. Randomly all the sudden with absolutely no changes to my diet or my life at all, I dropped another couple lbs in the past couple weeks. I love JUDDD though, and compared to any of the countless diets I'd been on since I was a teenager where I never got anywhere near goal yet gained weight back so quickly, this is finally a woe where I feel I can maintain and not gain my weight back again for once! Plus I get to eat whatever I want.

Oh, and I just wanted to add that gains and losses from any particular day of eating never shows up for me the very next day. It's always at least 2 or 3 days later, so I don't think it's a good idea to base results on what you ate just the day before. It depends on how efficient your digestive system is, and how fast your body distributes nutrients and then translates everything to actual weight loss/gain. That amount of time will be different for everyone, but I think it's pretty safe to say it doesn't happen instantaneously for anyone.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thomasina838
WOE: JUDDD & paleo
Start Date: 16 Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
I'm definitely another slow loser. I've been JUDDDing since late October last year, so it's been over 6 months, and I've lost only 17 lbs in this time. It took me over 3 weeks after I started JUDDD before I lost any weight at all, and about 2 months later, I stalled for almost 4 months straight with ZERO weight loss at all. Randomly all the sudden with absolutely no changes to my diet or my life at all, I dropped another couple lbs in the past couple weeks. I love JUDDD though, and compared to any of the countless diets I'd been on since I was a teenager where I never got anywhere near goal yet gained weight back so quickly, this is finally a woe where I feel I can maintain and not gain my weight back again for once! Plus I get to eat whatever I want.

Oh, and I just wanted to add that gains and losses from any particular day of eating never shows up for me the very next day. It's always at least 2 or 3 days later, so I don't think it's a good idea to base results on what you ate just the day before. It depends on how efficient your digestive system is, and how fast your body distributes nutrients and then translates everything to actual weight loss/gain. That amount of time will be different for everyone, but I think it's pretty safe to say it doesn't happen instantaneously for anyone.
good to know. i didnt lose for 2 weeks after 6 weeks of losses and stopped JUDDD. i took a month off to stuff protein and i expect i will start again but it is good to know that it took you 4 months to start losing again. i still like JUDDD.
thomasina838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I started the first of the year, lost 8# by May 1, slow but I am now at goal. Now on Maintanience but having a time with it! Go over more then i should.

Just remember this WOE does indeed work!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
Yes, this. It just seems so unfair.
this is one of the big reason i changed things up to see what happened.
i watched the daily weigh in thread for april every single day and watched a lot of people, not all, bounce the same pounds and lose just a couple pounds.

this is fine for some, but for LARGER people, i just didnt think it was right. to lose a couple pounds a month. however, id like to point out that im a 100% Juddd believer.

i upped my DD calories... a lot, with healthier foods and it seemed to work. i (kind of) removed those calories from my UDs then.
NOW im losing 3 pounds or so a week, which is what i find acceptable for my size. If you have 1oo pounds to lose then 1% loss is ok to shoot for.

still amazed at how cycling like this and the initial fasting has kept my hunger under control 7 days a week!

i think you should Juddd and if its not working, stick with Juddd but tweak it a little and give it a couple weeks and if not working tweak again!
all i did for my tweaking was move to the top percent of weight loss scale and lowered my UDs by those calories.
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dckisses
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
this is one of the big reason i changed things up to see what happened.
i watched the daily weigh in thread for april every single day and watched a lot of people, not all, bounce the same pounds and lose just a couple pounds.

i think you should Juddd and if its not working, stick with Juddd but tweak it a little and give it a couple weeks and if not working tweak again!
all i did for my tweaking was move to the top percent of weight loss scale and lowered my UDs by those calories.
I do that too! I would watch the daily weigh in thread to see the trend in losses, how fast and if it bounces as dramatically as mine.. I do realise that in a month some only lost 2-4lbs with major fluctuations.

And I love your mentality about juddd!! How did you know what to tweak? Based on your feeling? Or you just took the plunge and treated it as an "experiment"?

Last edited by Dckisses; 05-06-2012 at 06:41 PM..
Dckisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinjob
Stats: 157/156/130
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: November 7, 2011 (Did Atkins first in 2001)
OhioGuy: so you increased your DDs and lowered your UDs?
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

I started juddd with DDs that consisted of true 0 cal fasting to 280 calories MAX.
I was allowed 700 DDs i believe. I also was allowed around 4500 calorie UDs.
I followed plan for 2 weeks and every day i read (did not post) in the Weigh in tracker and watched peoples posts for bounces. what i saw was a lot of what i just experienced.
the typical bounce. I started at 355 and 2 weeks later i had hit 355 again.
people say its not a race but when you weigh this much, you need to see some results stick. even if its for mental health purposes lol.
i saw a lot of people bounce the same 2 to 5 pounds that had a lot to lose.

i just wasnt willing to live with those results BUT at the same time a believer in Juddd.
So i thought i would mix it up. the third week i didnt eat over 150 calories on DDs and cut back on my UDs. (not smart but i had to start my tweak somewhere) i had the same bounces. still creeping to my start weight which was just P'ing me off.

after 3 weeks of hard core juddd i had a day where i basically had a lower mid day.
and had 2 big losses in a row. so i decided to check out my allotted calories
again at the Juddd site. i noticed that if i went to 35% i could eat up to 1600 calories a day and still be in his weight loss percentage. so thats exactly what i did.
i eat 1600 calorie DDs and what i do is take 1000 or so OFF of my UDs. (stick to around 3000 for me) and since i made that change, WOW.
check out the daily weigh in tracker for May. Ive been averaging a half of a pound a day since i started with really NO up bounces. energy has stayed very high too!

i eat a small breakfast every morning SKIP lunch eat dinner between 5 and 7
to make sure i go to bed on an empty but not starving stomach and weigh in the morning. the bigger calories on DD makes it so im not NEAR as hungry on UDs

i just believe for some of us, even if we stay out our allotted calories, its just to much food at one time and its stored. so me cutting down my UDs i think is the big thing

I JUST CANNOT BELIEVE how much control i have over my eating after the first month Juddd eating. it took a month to retrain the brain but i have NO urge to eat junk at night anymore.

the crazy thing is the impulse to eat. id get up to get something to eat, and then it hit me. 1) i wasnt allowed and then 2) id be like "why would i eat when im not remotely hungry?? then i realized it was nothing more than a habit i was breaking and it was all in my head. EATING WHEN BORED. its history.
sometimes after eating really bad food like taco bell or pizza i get the urge BAD for something sweet ... and if i HAVE to ..i go to my oranges or that extremely dark chocolate that tastes just "ok". it is enough to kill the urge and its not a total sin =)

the beauty with juddd and LC is that its simple and we are told EXACTLY yes or no. lc is eat all you want just no carbs. easy. Juddd is dont eat today and the next day, eat what you want. easy. the hard part is eating and stopping. our old habits.

hope this helps you, anyone, lol. i am a juddd believer, just think not everyone is the same =)
Old 05-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Jamie, you are doing so well. Just wanted to fly by and tell you how I love your attitude. KUTGW.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

thanks!!
hopefully my testing juddd helps someone from giving up =)
Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

It definitely will! I'm thinking of tweaking my calories.. Hmm can you give me suggestions?

My calorie intake now is 300/1600.. On DDs I'll eat less than that, maybe around 200 since I've found shirataki noodles and it's super low cal.

Should I up my DD or down my UD?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

both! try it.
up ur dd and lower you ud by the same. save those noodles for ud and perhaps save for another bigger meal.
read sophiethecats new thread, "change it up"
Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
On UDs there is magical caloric point below which the body does not realize the DD 'famine' has ended. Eat below that point and you are eating a low cal diet, metabolism slows way down, and you are likely to stall (like I did most of March & April). Eat above that point and the body turns off caloric stress response and gears metabolism back up and JUDDD magic continues.

On DDs there is a similar magical point above which caloric stress response does not get down to business.

Our maintainers who cannot stop losing prove that, for some metabolisms, those magical points have a lot of leeway - are actually a pretty broad range. Other metabolisms seem to have very narrow ranges which, when exceeded, cause stalls or weight gain.

Hmmmm, verrrrry interesting.

Both because I have difficulty eating UD cals, and because I am wondering about cycling calories within JUDDD's parameters, I have been wondering how to recognize that magical point.

Jamie, your algorithm sounds like a good place to start. Thank you, you have given me a lot to think about.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Jamie,

I'm very impressed with the way you are experimenting.

I'm also very glad to see that your tweaks have taken away some of those hungries and of course has enabled you to drop those lbs on a more regular basis.
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

thanks! ill be the Guinea pig haha
3 pounds last night!! 8-o
juddd!! haha
Old 05-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #45
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I doubled my DD calories yesterday (from 120 to 250) and I did drop back down on the scale this morning. I have been doing coffee with HWC for B and then nothing but water the rest of the day for DD's. Maybe this is making me too hungry on UD's. Don't know but I am going to try a little higher DD tomorrow to see what happens.
I had a VERY large breakfast this morning, have a lower calorie lunch planned and a moderate dinner. Have room left for a splurge if I need it but hope to stay with lower UD calories so I can raise the DD ones a tad. I want to see if this will speed things up for me.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Jamie and Nancy - I've been contemplating to up my DDs for a while but I read somewhere I can't remember that DDs are the magic in JUDDD.. So I'm afraid of losing it, not that I have it at all in the first place. I'll def try upping my DDd..

As for lowering my UDs, my allocated calories is 1600 not wayyy high.. Moderate I guess. Maybe I'll do one by one and see how it goes. Experimenting how ECG individual body works can be quite exciting!
Old 05-08-2012, 07:26 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dckisses View Post
Jamie and Nancy - I've been contemplating to up my DDs for a while but I read somewhere I can't remember that DDs are the magic in JUDDD.. So I'm afraid of losing it, not that I have it at all in the first place. I'll def try upping my DDd..

As for lowering my UDs, my allocated calories is 1600 not wayyy high.. Moderate I guess. Maybe I'll do one by one and see how it goes. Experimenting how ECG individual body works can be quite exciting!

yeah, i thought about you folks who dont have a lot of calories to cut from UDs to start with. but then i think of it as percentages. so even if its just 100 calories....

i also believe in the magic of juddd...
not just the DDs but i think the full 24/36 hour fast plays a role in keeping us in tune. so what you can do is find one day a week (for me mondays because i ALWAYS eat a ton of pizza sundays lol) i eat very very little or nothing. so basically fast one day and the rest of the week I EAT!

I am PUMPED full of energy, im physically hungry but dont want to eat.
i eat BAD carbs 100% under control. i feel like a new person.
to me, this IS Juddd magic! =)
Old 05-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
yeah, i thought about you folks who dont have a lot of calories to cut from UDs to start with. but then i think of it as percentages. so even if its just 100 calories....

i also believe in the magic of juddd...
not just the DDs but i think the full 24/36 hour fast plays a role in keeping us in tune. so what you can do is find one day a week (for me mondays because i ALWAYS eat a ton of pizza sundays lol) i eat very very little or nothing. so basically fast one day and the rest of the week I EAT!

I am PUMPED full of energy, im physically hungry but dont want to eat.
i eat BAD carbs 100% under control. i feel like a new person.
to me, this IS Juddd magic! =)
Very well said!!!
I guess you're right, it's all about percentages! and the full magic of both DDs and UDs.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I'm in maintenance, but realizing there is a 'sweet spot' even there for calories. I was spot on 125 for over a week, and suddenly went up 2 pounds with it not coming back off. I was dropping to 126 after dd's and right back to 127 after ud's. (I know that might be a 'big deal' sort of thing to some with a lot to lose, but I'm at goal, and don't want to give in to scale creep AT ALL). Even more, I FEEL heavier--more muffin top/midriff roll. So it wasn't acting like just a water bounce.

So I took a look at my history, and noticed whenever my UD's drop below 1500 calories, I gain. I made it a point to go OVER 1500 yesterday, and was able to not bounce up that pound. I'm hoping a dd will bring me back to goal, and then I can test my over 1500 cal ud's and see if I stay there. Or maybe get crazy and go over 1600 and see if I lose. LOL

This trend was apparent regardless of what my dd calories were (ranged from 500-900). Below 1500 must be starvation level for me, and my body goes into storage/conservation mode.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
I'm in maintenance, but realizing there is a 'sweet spot' even there for calories. I was spot on 125 for over a week, and suddenly went up 2 pounds with it not coming back off. I was dropping to 126 after dd's and right back to 127 after ud's. (I know that might be a 'big deal' sort of thing to some with a lot to lose, but I'm at goal, and don't want to give in to scale creep AT ALL). Even more, I FEEL heavier--more muffin top/midriff roll. So it wasn't acting like just a water bounce.

So I took a look at my history, and noticed whenever my UD's drop below 1500 calories, I gain. I made it a point to go OVER 1500 yesterday, and was able to not bounce up that pound. I'm hoping a dd will bring me back to goal, and then I can test my over 1500 cal ud's and see if I stay there. Or maybe get crazy and go over 1600 and see if I lose. LOL

This trend was apparent regardless of what my dd calories were (ranged from 500-900). Below 1500 must be starvation level for me, and my body goes into storage/conservation mode.

very helpful post!
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
That's so cool that eating more keeps you slimmer!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #52
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #53
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
This is my second DD to raise my calories. I had been fasting for real other than coffee with HWC for B. I had 300 calories, no hunger. So we shall see if tomorrow on my UD I am able to control the calories. Here's hoping.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I truly believe, based on things that JUDDD BUDDDs have reported, that some of us dive, in a matter of hours, right through caloric stress response into starvation mode (and stall).

Why? Danged if I know. Maybe something inherent in individual metabolisms? Maybe guesstimating UD calories and guessing low? Maybe that is a reaction to medication or environmental stress?

I do know, for some of us eating too little on DD can be counter-productive...those people need to eat more. Maybe not much more, 50 or 100 calories may be enough to keep the sirtuin enzymes flowing. And it seems the only way to find out if this applies to you, is to test it.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

thanks for that. I'm waiting until the 2 week mark and then I'm bumping myself to 35% mode. I haven't lost anything yet, and don't know that I will at 25%. I'm willing to wait it out and see. I think 35% is more realistic and will allow my body to stop freaking out.

Whatever you can do to damage your metabolism I've done, often unknowingly. I was on a few meds that put me over the edge and trashed my endocrine system. I also have a history of ED/anorexia turned orthorexia. Beyond that the celiac disease put the nail in the coffin. I think my body just freaks out too much about calorie deprivation to really lose.

We'll see! I want to do 2 weeks at 500 calories, and then bump to 650 to see if I get losses then. I'll report back!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Circus, I am really hoping you start seeing NSVs involving reduced inflammation and overall health soon.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Circus, I am really hoping you start seeing NSVs involving reduced inflammation and overall health soon.
Thank you! I actually HAVE seen NSV, but they're probably not really important to anyone but me. I have seen a reduction in inflammation which is hard to quantify because I was coming off of hcg...so there was no inflammation to begin with. But normally if I were eating starches (which I have been this past week) I would have a ton. The fact that I don't is a big deal.

I definitely am getting benefits from this way of eating. I am just not losing which is often how it goes for me. But given my wonkiness, physiologically, I'm not suprised. And please don't misunderstand, I'm not being negative at all. Weight loss is just not usually a side or direct affect of anything for me. BUT my anxiety is as low as it was on hcg and given that I've eaten sugar AND grains that means the inflammation is actually staying down which never would have happened before!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Circusgirl, I think what you've experienced is huge. And it may be, that the healing simply needs to happen before your body will release the weight.

I read elsewhere that you are going back to paleo for a bit, and I think that is super smart. It will give your body less to do (dealing with the carbs AND trying to heal) so maybe the healing can happen faster. Will be watching to see how it goes.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:33 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Circusgirl, I think what you've experienced is huge. And it may be, that the healing simply needs to happen before your body will release the weight.

I read elsewhere that you are going back to paleo for a bit, and I think that is super smart. It will give your body less to do (dealing with the carbs AND trying to heal) so maybe the healing can happen faster. Will be watching to see how it goes.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Changed my mind..No Whiners here.

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 05-10-2012 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: decided not to feed my "poor me" thoughts
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote