Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
JUDDDers coming from LC

I'd love to hear from people who were long term LC'ers that loosened up a bit going to JUDDD.

What kind of gain did you expect?
Was there a number where you would have said, "nope, this isn't for me"?

I can be low carb forever. I've done it for a LONG time. I'm interested in JUDDD both for the weight loss factor AND for the relaxed approach to food.

I'm committed to a month, but I can't pretend I'm not a bit worried about the scale. My weight is going up and I can feel it. That's not a huge problem because clearly there will be some water weight gain coming off VLC. I'm just now playing the game in my head of "how much is too much?" I'm okay with a few pounds, but I think if I saw a ten pound gain in a week I'd waver a bit. Unless I knew that is something that happens.

I'm trying not to freak out, but I have a history of things not working for me. I can feel the anxiety rising that I'm undoing hard work I've done in the past to get my numbers down. I could use some reassurance if you have some to spare.

I'm probably going to stick to a lower carb intake for now, but I feel like going VLC again is kinda silly. I mean, weight is going to increase anytime I come off of it, so why not just allow myself some starches now? SO long as I keep protein up, that is.

If there's a better way to look at it though I'll all ears.
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dckisses
Hi there.. Sorry I can't be much of a help but I know how you feel. I feel your pain.
I didn't come from a VLC, although I avoided rice/noodles/bread kind of starch. I indulged in vegs and lots of fruits.. Switched to JUDDD for a month now and I haven't seen results in the scale. But mentally wise I did, food's no longer my enemy.

I have the same question as you.. I know It won't be easy for me to lose coming from a low cal diet (<1200) but

How much is too much until you accept the fact that this might not work for me?

*hugs*
Dckisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I only did low carb for one year. I lost most of my weight moderate carb (50-90 carbs). I tried lower carb for months - even VLC for 2 months and didn't really lose much weight. That is the reason I switched to JUDDD. I didn't gain any weight when I switched over. I lost 3 lbs. I do tend to stick to 100 carbs on an UD...tho I don't do it intentionally, it's just the way we eat here now. I have no need to add rice/potatoe/bread back into my diet. Tho, I might have a grilled cheese with bread once in a while I see it as the treat it really is now.

I don't understand why you bother trying something else if LC works for you and you like it?

Just shaking things up a bit?

Goal weight met: Aug 19/11

I played in the Longest Game for CF. We broke the Guinness record for longest hockey game.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:05 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
I re-introduced carbs from green veggies from JUDDD day one and saw weight loss ditto.

I waited two weeks then began re-introducing refined/starchy carbs and sweets in very small portions...testing my reaction to them. I knew starchy carbs and sweets triggered out of control eating in me. By beginning small and taking it slow, I did not see huge bounces and did not lose control. My biggest carb-triggered bounce was three pounds, and it was gone after the next DD.

These days refined/starchy carbs and sweets are just part of what I eat.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I took a weekend off between Atkins and JUDDD, ate whatever I wanted, gained just under 3 pounds, and called that my JUDDD starting weight. I know you have gluten restrictions, etc., and I have no food restrictions (other than trying to stay away from soy as much as possible), so I don't know if that will affect you. I eat everything, and I mean EVERY thing, though I always respect my calorie numbers. I have wine, bread, pasta, chocolate, etc. with no problems.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Msevon2
I have been on vlc for years, but could never stick with it and would get off and then get back on. Had been on it since the beginning of the year again and lost 16 lb when I started Juddd on march 19. I did gain at 1st. I would gain 6 lb on my updays. But the down days, i would lose a lb or so. So it got closer and closer. Finally I reached an ud and ended up losing that day. I had eaten a lot and even eat a whole bag of tostitoes before going to bed, and I lost weight on an up day. But that was so much better than when i started on Atkins. I went for 72 days without losing a pound. But I was determined and stuck to it and when I did start to lose weight, it was wild. But again, things happen and I got off plan. So guess my metabolism is really screwed up. I am happy now, I am adjusting my ud and my bp is down for the 1st time since 1990 and no bp drugs. I wont go back, as long as I dont start gaining on my dd.
Msevon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_gal View Post

I don't understand why you bother trying something else if LC works for you and you like it?
because I don't lose weight that way. I just don't gain. I'd prefer NOT to be in the 190 range, KWIM?

I've been low carb for over a decade. I've played with it a little in terms of amounts of carbs, but I've been grain free/sugar free for over 9 years of that and dairy free for another 5 years.

I feel great being low carb/grain free/sugar free. Truly. BUT I'm not going to pretend that it's a comfort zone and that I'm flat out scared of food if I go out of it. Scared for a few reason: carbs increase my anxiety as well as my weight AND my gut symptoms flare when they're introduced. But those effects aren't immediate and I'm not even sure they're still true. It's been a LONG TIME that I've eaten very clean.

So yeah, part of this is the weight loss factor. I can do that with HCG and it's not problematic, but I was really hoping this would work. Even if it works slowly I need the numbers to go down.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #8

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Eating low carb, and even very low carb, didn't help me lose weight much beyond the initial loss of water weight as I cut out most carbs. I assume I did something wrong, and it might simply have been that I ate too much of the high calorie foods, because I've always loved all those foods and eat them still, but when I cut out all the carbohydrate foods that I also loved, I seemed to focus on the fats. So I didn't really gain, but I didn't lose either.

I actually lost by old fashioned calorie cutting, and then lost more on JUDDD.

And here's the funny thing about it for me: I still eat all of those low carb foods that I loved so much!!! But I also eat all of the carby foods that I loved as well!!! And by the simple method of counting the calories and doing my JUDDD rotation.. UDs and DDs.. I am able to maintain myself about where I like to be these days. I found out that I could eat all foods in moderation (and sometimes not too moderately at that..) and on JUDDD, it works!

I don't have food allergies, although there was a time when eggs gave me a huge gut ache, and I gak out if I eat too much animal fat, although dairy fat is no problem at all. So these days, I get to eat some of anything I want, maintain my weight, control my blood sugar and blood pressure, etc. and all because of JUDDD. I love this eating plan! It has been the most freeing way to eat and still remain in absolute and complete control. But that's the secret of counting the cals.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #9

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I was doing Atkins for over 10 years. I lost to goal in the first year but for the past 7 years or more I was always between 4 and 12 pounds above goal.

I decided to try JUDDD last October and in 5 weeks I was at goal.

I stayed fairly LC for the first 2 to 3 weeks but then allowed myself more and more carbs. I saw no particular gain, as the JUDDD bounces were always there.

I had the most wonderful Xmas in years, eating all the traditional foods and I only gained a tiny amount which was gone in no time.

My weight continued to drop and I am now generally between 2 and 4 pounds below goal.

I eat all foods and I have never felt healthier or happier.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
You know, some people are just more carb sensitive to start with than others. I was/am.

I started out trying to introduce carbs slowly, only it wasn't slow enough. While I didn't gain, I also didn't lose either. And I had huge blood sugar spikes. Carbs, at least from grains/sugars/potatoes did NOT agree with me.

When I first came to JUDDD, I was eating 60-80g carb on an UD. Now I'm more around 100-120g. (gross not net).

I had to just drop back to clean paleo eating and forget the starchy carbs for a while. My body had more healing to do. Some people can eat anything and be ok. Others can't. Maybe, for now, you are one that just can't. But that doesn't mean it will always be that way.

What if you went back to lowER carb (not vlc, I really don't think that's necessary), for at least the first 2 weeks of 'induction'? Get those sirt enzymes flowing. See some success on the scale.

Then do like Gotsomeold, and I and many others did, and introduce those other carbs slowly and see how they affect you.

When I tried reintroducing carbs after JUDDD'ing for 2 mos or so, it went much better. I still can't have sugar--sends my blood glucose levels soaring--but I can handle the occasional potato, or even a sandwich with bread (although wheat does tend to make me bloated and gassy, so I probably shouldn't eat it anyway).
Old 05-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

MKT-you're right. I'm one of those that is sensitive. I can only eat carbs after protein, which should tell me something!

I stayed LC today, and will do so for the most part tomorrow. I have lunches I'm going to this week-just 2 on UD's-and I'll do what I can, but there will be carbs. Beyond that I'm just staying LC for awhile. I think I got them out of my system anyway!

I had SO much damage that even though it's been 12 years or so I'm not ready for starchy stuff. That, more than anything is what is going on I guess.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
You know, some people are just more carb sensitive to start with than others. I was/am.

I started out trying to introduce carbs slowly, only it wasn't slow enough. While I didn't gain, I also didn't lose either. And I had huge blood sugar spikes. Carbs, at least from grains/sugars/potatoes did NOT agree with me.

When I first came to JUDDD, I was eating 60-80g carb on an UD. Now I'm more around 100-120g. (gross not net).

I had to just drop back to clean paleo eating and forget the starchy carbs for a while. My body had more healing to do. Some people can eat anything and be ok. Others can't. Maybe, for now, you are one that just can't. But that doesn't mean it will always be that way.

What if you went back to lowER carb (not vlc, I really don't think that's necessary), for at least the first 2 weeks of 'induction'? Get those sirt enzymes flowing. See some success on the scale.

Then do like Gotsomeold, and I and many others did, and introduce those other carbs slowly and see how they affect you.

When I tried reintroducing carbs after JUDDD'ing for 2 mos or so, it went much better. I still can't have sugar--sends my blood glucose levels soaring--but I can handle the occasional potato, or even a sandwich with bread (although wheat does tend to make me bloated and gassy, so I probably shouldn't eat it anyway).
I think this is a very good point and even sort of exciting for some folks. To think that there may come a time when they can heal themselves, normalize themselves, enough through JUDDD to be able to actually eat some of the higher carb foods on a fairly regular basis.. well, for many of us, that's pretty exciting.

I do know that some people come to this site and are gluten intolerant, etc. But many have said that they actually seemed to bring on or increase their own terrible sensitivity to carbs as they banned them from their normal diet, and then found they'd brought on far more sensitivity and felt they could no longer eat much of the carb foods at all!

But many here have gradually reintroduced carbs and found that on JUDDD, it works just fine. You'll have to see what works for you as the weeks go by.

JUDDD isn't just for weight loss. It is a physically healing way of eating as well. And as joyful and exuberant as the JUDDD BUDDDs here are, I believe it is great for our mental health and sense of well being too!

If you don't care for carbohydrate foods much anyway, you can eat as low carb as you wish on this plan. But if you think you might want to enjoy some of the higher carb foods occasionally too, perhaps you will be able to do that quite easily as well.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

it's an exciting prospect to be sure! Given that I've been LC for so long, I'm sure that I have decreased my ability to handle them. So hopefully as I progress I can bring them back. Not because I can't wait to have them, but rather because I can't wait to not be afraid of food.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 154/147/130 - 5'4", Age: 52, Highest:178
WOE: JUDDD 1850/700 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD 4/30/12, LC and Carb Cycling 2002-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
JUDDD isn't just for weight loss. It is a physically healing way of eating as well. And as joyful and exuberant as the JUDDD BUDDDs here are, I believe it is great for our mental health and sense of well being too!
Really and truly deep down inside this is what I think I have been looking for, for a VERY long time, to be healed in how I interact with food. I don't want to struggle anymore, I don't want it to be my enemy and consume my thoughts and take so much of my time every day. There is so much more to life than food. I will say, this WOE seems to be very promising in meeting those goals. **crossing fingers** I have already started re-evaluating my motivations and triggers and outlook on food. Very optimistic.

I did LC for a long time and then carb cycling with light weights and cardio and saw good results with both, but always every year bounce up 10-15 pounds in the fall/winter and lose the same every spring. How I long to just lose and stay there for good!
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by circusgirl View Post
it's an exciting prospect to be sure! Given that I've been LC for so long, I'm sure that I have decreased my ability to handle them. So hopefully as I progress I can bring them back. Not because I can't wait to have them, but rather because I can't wait to not be afraid of food.
Amen circusgirl, *yes* to no longer being afraid of food and to being RELAXED about food on a daily basis!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
like other suggested, i would suggest any LC'er coming to Juddd (i was one)
eat medium carb food on that first UD. i had thing i didnt have on VLC like cottage cheese and ketchup! lol in a few days you will be switched over.
and they make LC shakes for DDs
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusrose63 View Post
Amen circusgirl, *yes* to no longer being afraid of food and to being RELAXED about food on a daily basis!
Well, the interesting thing about food is that here we seem to change our outlook about it as we continue with JUDDD. This eating plan lets us combine a love of good food and delicious meals with a relaxed attitude about eating it. So while we may still adore ice cream, we know that ice cream will be available to us FOR EVER, and we don't have to eat it all tonight! Strangely, we get to a point where we are freed from obsessions about the food and our eating of it, and that's replaced with a lovely appreciation of food and great enjoyment of it, within modest boundaries that we don't particularly feel any compulsion to cross. Hardly ever...

If we really *do* JUDDD and count the calories and respect our calorie numbers, then we know that we can't overeat. And if we don't overeat, we can eat anything and still lose weight or maintain our weight, as desired. For most of us, this is pretty closely the truth of it. And that means, we can finally just relax about it. Whew! How great is that?!! We can finally just *let it go* and be in control of ourselves and our choices instead of letting food have any control over us.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

SoHappy, Just as you are talking about, I am so looking forward to ending the obsession! Thanks for your words of encouragement and enlightenment.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by circusgirl View Post
As a carnivore who loves naturally LC and high fat food, but still wants to enjoy the occasional higher carb food or meal, this is exactly what JUDDD has done for me. I used to have such an awful relationship with food no matter what diet I've tried, including VLC (basically anything that was too restrictive with my food choices) and was scared of so many different types of food and would have horrible guilt, overeating and all sorts of unpleasant feelings.

Barring food sensitivities and allergies, I now eat what I love, guilt-free and stress-free. Most of the time it's naturally LC, but if I want a huge bowl of spicy Tom Yum rice noodle soup or going out for sushi, or having some sea salt dark chocolate, I'll just schedule it into a day where I have calories for it. After that, I'm completely satisfied and it doesn't cross my mind again for a while and I don't feel the need to binge on sweets or rice or other salty carbs I previously had "issues" with. I eat them in what I consider minimal and normal amounts from time to time. And you know what, I'm perfectly happy and content.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

thank you all!

for me it's a double edged sword. If I overeat I have feelings of worthlessness, guilt etc. and the slipside of the coin is I only feel "good" if I've "behaved."

Now beyond that I have serious gut issues that are not 100% healed so food not only makes me feel emotionally bad, it makes me feel physically bad.

I have a history of ED that goes back to early teen years and though treated, it's kind of like alcoholism in that it never goes away, really. I've been in places where it didn't rear it's ugly head, but that doesn't mean it's gone. I also developed orthorexia which only made things harder because there was actual physiological reasons for it. I mean, of COURSE I'm afraid of food when I went undiagnosed with celiac disease for decades, in and out of hospitals and no one knew what was going on!

Low carb was necessary for me, but I didn't know why. I never knew gluten was the problem until 8 years ago or so. I just knew if I ate VLC most of my symptoms were gone, which fueled the orthorexia. So now, even if you take weight gain out of the mix there's still that issue. It's been a long time (10 years?) since I could *comfortably* eat out because I was truly scared of food. I can't wait until that's no longer the issue.

The many gluten free restaurants are a big help, that's for sure! But I'd really like to lose the anxiety around food for good.