Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Curious--If you have trouble getting in your UD calories...

Do you follow a low carb, restricted carb or paleo woe?

I notice on days I allow more grain/starch carbs (which isn't much), the calories add up faster, and I'm usually hungrier, so I eat more.

If I keep 'clean' paleo, I struggle to get all my calories in because I'm just not hungry.

I'm just wondering if this holds true for others, and if it could be helpful for those JUDDDer's who are having trouble holding the lid on UD's.

Not that they would need to be lc forever, but if it would help in the beginning, until Sirt kicks in with it's benefit of appetite and craving suppression.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: circusgirl
Stats: 219/185/140
WOE: primal/paleo-currently HCG
Start Date: August 1999 primal, HCG in 2010
true for me for sure. it's how I plan to do my DD because that's never a challenge for me. lean meat and veggies will keep me golden. Maybe I can switch it up down the road, but I love the appetite suppressant aspect of ketosis.

I don't plan to be 100% low carb on UD (says the woman that just ate a ben and jerry's sundae for a snack. ) I'm hoping to add them in but keep 'em low.

Interested to hear from others though!
circusgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lianora Mosswood
Stats: 165/121/115 5'3" 54 yrs
WOE: locarb primal juddd
Start Date: January 2011
Tina, yes! I find myself on UD at about 1100 calories after eating 3 full meals and scrambling to find something to get me up there. It has been a struggle lately, with a lot of my DD are turning into MD because I couldn't stuff in another bite the day before.

I eat higher carb on UD, but am under 60 g carb on most days. My high carb items are things like sweet potatoes, winter squash. . . I eat. . .

I was going to just say that I eat probably 70% fat, so I went to check my food log. Holy cow, my macro ratio has really changed on JUDDD as opposed to low carb primal! Ok, so it appears as though I am getting way less fat than I thought. I just reviewed the past three months and there are a lot of days where it is 50% fat and sometimes even less. I wonder. . . I feel like I eat fat all day long, but maybe there's a reason to add even more butter to everything!

44 down, 6 to go!
Lianora Mosswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Tina, from our challenge thread I know you always skip breakfast. Why not add in something there? No reason not to if UD calories are a struggle for you.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Tina, I am like this. My UD calories have actually dropped from 1864 to around 1750 (cant remember number I always go by 1700). I can not ever get all my UD calories in, even with a lower number. But come DD's I cant ever come under the 500 let alone the 380 I should be having! I do not know why! Its like my mind knows my UD/DD but my body is confused as to which is which!

Gonna watch this thread for idea's too! Thank you for it!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Unrestricted eating, and it is a battle most UDs to remember to eat. The only thing that triggers hunger in me anymore is social occasions with foodie friends.

I have never, ever been a breakfast eater. When I first started JUDDDing eating breakfast made be hungry all day. Now, I have am making myself eat breakfast. It no longer makes me hungry, but it is a way to get calories in.

Lianora, I have started adding butter, cheese, cream, etc everywhere I can and that is helping.

Dang, why do so many foods come in 100 - 300 calorie serving sizes?
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 05-04-2012 at 06:24 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Zipp, I eat breakfast on UD's. I just skip on DD's to get more of the IF fast benefits.

Katiebub- I struggle more on DD's too (not so much now that I'm in maintenance). My intuitive eating calorie level is about 1100 when I eat primal/paleo. So my body wants to get to that level, UD or DD. DD I want to keep eating, UD I want to stop. LOL

I do more primal baking on UD's and that helps. Almond/coconut flours are pretty calorie dense. And def add more fat.

I think I've got it worked out for myself, I was really just wondering if it was a common factor in those of us who have to work at UD calories, if it might be a tool that would be helpful for those who have trouble keeping a lid on those days. At least as a means of gaining control.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I guess the reason i too struggle with the up day number is i Choose to try for healthy options.. and in doing so i miss out on those "fun Empty" Calories Im sure if i let my self eat fast food, ice cream, cake, fried foods and anything like junk food i could eat and eat and eat a ton of those kind of foods . but i dont want to even if JUDDd is forgiving to ever let my self go that route again... i am getting healthy.. and for me that mean restrictions of certain things..
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

yup! baking is where it's at! I make a grain free/sugar free almond joy cake that I adore-that packs a ton of calories into small bites! also there are these amazing grain free coconut muffins that I top with cream cheese frosting (also sugar free-but I use maple syrup if I"m being bad!) Ditto for pumpkin muffins which have a coconut flour base.

The other crazy thing I love to make for my kids that I will then steal are peanut butter filled chocolate cupcakes with a ganache topping. Amazing. No grains at all, either.

I use a lot of recipes from elana's pantry. I have her books and everything she comes up with is full of win.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
I have never done low carb - was on weight watchers for a long time then tried to stick to 1200 calories. I was concerned that I would not be able to eat 1800 on my UD but now have the opposite problem - I have to be careful not to go over 1800 on UD and have UUADs! I have to track my calories on UD to make sure I get enough but not too much.
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by circusgirl View Post
yup! baking is where it's at! I make a grain free/sugar free almond joy cake that I adore-that packs a ton of calories into small bites! also there are these amazing grain free coconut muffins that I top with cream cheese frosting (also sugar free-but I use maple syrup if I"m being bad!) Ditto for pumpkin muffins which have a coconut flour base.

The other crazy thing I love to make for my kids that I will then steal are peanut butter filled chocolate cupcakes with a ganache topping. Amazing. No grains at all, either.

I use a lot of recipes from elana's pantry. I have her books and everything she comes up with is full of win.
Would you mind posting your coconut muffin recipe somewhere? Is it similar to Ouizoid's mix? i have been using her mix to make a faux cinnabon for breakfast, topped with cream cheese icing. So yummy!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

if you go onto elanas pantry (I know you can't link from here) and search for coconut cupcakes they come up.

they are the ones that say Coconut Cupcakes with Key Lime Icing. I just ditch that icing and use cream cheese frosting! I also don't use agave (nasty stuff!) so I sub either maple syrup or liquid stevia.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #13

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Zipp, I eat breakfast on UD's. I just skip on DD's to get more of the IF fast benefits.
That is what I meant, on DD's. Maybe eat something around 9:00 to get in more calories that way. Just a thought.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I still eat pretty low carb due to serious gluten/wheat and sugar issues but even when I was strictly vlc, it didn't stop me from overeating or curb my appetite. I could pack away protein and fats like no tomorrow, and if we're talking nuts or cheeses or things like avocados or even bacon, I'm an endless pit. That said, if I eat high carbs (especially refined) I definitely notice the hunger way more unless there's a LOT of fat and protein to go with.

Btw, I just checked out Elana's Pantry and that place seems to be a treasure trove! Thanks for sharing!
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
I still eat pretty low carb due to serious gluten/wheat and sugar issues but even when I was strictly vlc, it didn't stop me from overeating or curb my appetite. I could pack away protein and fats like no tomorrow, and if we're talking nuts or cheeses or things like avocados or even bacon, I'm an endless pit. That said, if I eat high carbs (especially refined) I definitely notice the hunger way more unless there's a LOT of fat and protein to go with.

Btw, I just checked out Elana's Pantry and that place seems to be a treasure trove! Thanks for sharing!
it is! my whole family has celiac disease (me, my husband and my kids) and we just don't do grains except on special occasions, and never, ever gluten. I also try really hard to keep everyone off of refined sugar. No good can come of that-but once in a while we splurge. I just don't keep it in the house.

But we still eat great thanks (in part) to her!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
I was low carb for 9 years, and still stay fairly low-100 or so a day-not on purpose, just cuz I'm used to it I guess.

I NEVER have a problem with my UDs-1704-I always wish I had more.

I get through DDs-341-purely through stubbornness, and because I have the discipline to do it. Maybe not the discipline to stay where I should be on the UDs. I know yesterday, an UD, I was hungry all day and wanted more than my allottment.

This whole thing is very odd.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
If I go with my old low carb options, I can't make my UDs without feeling stuffed to the gills.

I add coconut oil to my tea.

My UD snacks are usually:
macadamia nuts which pack a nice 210 cal punch
flax crackers and brie 200 cal

BLT & Avocado is 400-500 calories
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

You know, I realized that as with most things, definitions are key. When I say lc, I realize it may be very different from what someone else means by it.

For me, I consider my diet to be low-moderate carb, at ~100g gross carbs. I honestly don't count carbs, or really even think about them much. I just cut out all white or processed stuff--sugar, flour (all grains actually), potatoes (although after 8 mos I'm adding a bit back in), and most stuff in a box or wrapper. What's left I eat without worrying about it's carb content.

So I don't shoot for a certain carb amount per day, but by eating the way I do, I end up around 100-120g. Make sense?

And like I said, I was asking to see if it might be something that could help our Buddd's who have trouble with UUAWD. So they could have a tool to get some control, and then gradually reintroduce those riskier carbs. But it seems like everything else, this is a ymmv kind of thing.

Shoot. LOL

Elana's pantry is great, but I haven't figured out how to make the recipes vegan (egg and dairy allergy). Almost every coconut flour recipe I've seen uses lots of eggs, and egg replacer does ok for 1 or 2, but not for 4-6. Another blog, The Spunky Coconut has a lot of grain free vegan though. And I just made the chocolate chip cookie recipe from the Honeyville almond flour bag (using coconut sugar rather than agave, ick), and they are YUMMY. I ate 3 yesterday. LOL The sandwich rolls on that site are also fabulous (I use a little less coconut flour and sub in some almond flour and they seem to get more done in the middle).
Old 05-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

replacing for eggs can be hard. I have used various fruits at times, but with really eggs recipes that won't always work. bummer!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaSimpson
Stats: 174 goal 140 5'10
WOE: juicing and juddd
Start Date: 01/24/2013
Same here, if I eat carbs like crackers and bread, I can't stop eating. That stuff is like a drug, not that I do drugs and know how they effect you. Lol
I try to avoid wheat, but lately it has been more difficult.
If I see that I don't get enough cals in on an UD, I eat some anti past, I love that stuff. Yum yum
RebeccaSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

my favorite is candying pineapple in butter and cinnamon, then topping it with marscapone cheese whipped with vanilla and stevia. to die for.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

The two posts from Tina and Tanya re the struggle with DD--wow! So I am really having a hard time not eating about 1100-1200 calories on any day. I am really confused about sirt-1 and hunger suppression right now, because I got to the JUDDD magic point about four weeks ago, DD were great, and now I am just starving on DD and trying really hard to stay at 700 calories or less.

Nancy, what you said about fats: for the past four or so UD, I have been eating 3-4 oz of cheese after dinner when I realize I have only eaten 1000-1200 calories, but I have to say, that darn cheese makes me feel really gross the next day, at least that much. I don't really eat dairy except butter and maybe an ounce or so of cheese with eggs. I think I might need to order more coconut manna and make something yummy for my UD!
Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
Do you follow a low carb, restricted carb or paleo woe?

I notice on days I allow more grain/starch carbs (which isn't much), the calories add up faster, and I'm usually hungrier, so I eat more.

If I keep 'clean' paleo, I struggle to get all my calories in because I'm just not hungry.

I'm just wondering if this holds true for others, and if it could be helpful for those JUDDDer's who are having trouble holding the lid on UD's.

Not that they would need to be lc forever, but if it would help in the beginning, until Sirt kicks in with it's benefit of appetite and craving suppression.
Yes, I have noticed this as well. That may have been one thing that made it hard to stick to my UD calories in the beginning - because I dove headlong into the carbs right off the bat. But I was just so eager for freedom from months of LC.

And I remember thinking back when I was still LC but just getting started with JUDDD that it would be hard to make all my UD calories if I stuck to strict LC because I was eating 900 - 1200 calories on LC and completely full (and yet losing so slowly, for me). Sure enough, adding lots of carbs, particularly refined ones, on JUDDD made me go out of control with UDs for a bit... but I buckled down with it and things straightened out.

Oh, wanted to answer your first question too... I am doing lowER carb lately. I have cycled around with carbs several times since starting JUDDD/IF. In the beginning I went high on the moderate scale, then went back to lowish carb, then back to higher on the moderate range again, and now back to lower. I didn't do this as a weight-loss or maintenance tactic, it was just how my appetites went and also for things going on with health. Experiments in eating and whatnot. I do not count carbs, btw, but I'm the same as you in that I know it's lower carb just from the types of foods I'm eating.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 05-04-2012 at 12:53 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Keeping things low carb for me definitely helps me keep satisfied on both days. If I eat too many carby things, even "good" carbs, I get hungrier, not to mention bloated. But, I am having to find ways to eat more or sneak in calories to meet my UD requirements.

But, being that most of my life I've had to watch calories because I ate too much, it's kinda cool having to EAT.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lianora Mosswood View Post
The two posts from Tina and Tanya re the struggle with DD--wow! So I am really having a hard time not eating about 1100-1200 calories on any day. I am really confused about sirt-1 and hunger suppression right now, because I got to the JUDDD magic point about four weeks ago, DD were great, and now I am just starving on DD and trying really hard to stay at 700 calories or less.
This is me too!! Although I am keeping the calories down, my DD's have turned into days I am NOT looking forward to. I had great appetite suppression the last two months and DD's were a breeze. Now, I am hungry all day. I haven't changed anything I was doing before. Today is a DD, and I actually hurt in the pit of my gut!

Someone told me the hunger is my body fighting tooth and nail not to give up its stores of fat. I hope it doesn't win out!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Nancy, what you said about fats: for the past four or so UD, I have been eating 3-4 oz of cheese after dinner when I realize I have only eaten 1000-1200 calories, but I have to say, that darn cheese makes me feel really gross the next day, at least that much. I don't really eat dairy except butter and maybe an ounce or so of cheese with eggs. I think I might need to order more coconut manna and make something yummy for my UD!
If you are not eating your full amount of calories on your UD, you WILL struggle mightily on your dd (and you will likely end up stalling out any weight loss too, as your body desperately tries to keep from starving).

Don't wait till the end of the day to try to cram something in. If I try that, I end up miserable and give up. PLAN your UD's as carefully as you plan your dd's, ahead of time, so you can add a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack. Add fat--make sure you cook those eggs in butter. Add chopped egg and avocado to your lunch salad. Whip some full fat coconut milk with a little vanilla stevia and put a generous amount on some berries to have with breakfast (sooooo good!). Almond or peanut butter right off the spoon. Google recipes for grain free baking (almond and coconut flours are calorie dense, but low in net carbs.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Scotty
Stats: 174/160.9/140- 5' 7.5" born in 1946
WOE: Enjoying JUDDD's freedom after years of low carb
Start Date: Every day!!! JUDD start 1/13/12
Quote:
my favorite is candying pineapple in butter and cinnamon, then topping it with marscapone cheese whipped with vanilla and stevia. to die for.
O---M---G---

and I'm not even a big sweet eater!
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Thinking about the advice on here and what I know and had a great UD today. Breakfast was a whole avocado cooked with 2 Tbsp butter and 2 large eggs for a bowl of creamy yumminess. That was almost 700 calories. Really didn't have lunch, since I was out with my daughter and got the BEST haircut ever, but did have an iced coffee with 2 Tbsp half and half. I made a curry for dinner with beef, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, coconut milk, a bunch of butter and cooked it all in coconut oil and made my calories for the day! Whew! I am stuffed right now though.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #29

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Thinking about the advice on here and what I know and had a great UD today. Breakfast was a whole avocado cooked with 2 Tbsp butter and 2 large eggs for a bowl of creamy yumminess. That was almost 700 calories. Really didn't have lunch, since I was out with my daughter and got the BEST haircut ever, but did have an iced coffee with 2 Tbsp half and half. I made a curry for dinner with beef, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, coconut milk, a bunch of butter and cooked it all in coconut oil and made my calories for the day! Whew! I am stuffed right now though.
Everything sounds so yummy!

Time for a new avatar?
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote