Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stitch
Stats: 141/123.2/105
WOE: Very low carb switched to JUDDD
Start Date: 2nd February '12
Help. Every UD is an UUAD!

I can't seem to get my UD's under control. The first few were OK but now most of them are crazy. I'm always over by about 700-1000 calories. I'm supposed to
be having 1700ish. I've had good losses anyway but I really want to pull it together and get the most out of JUDDD. Imagine how much I'd be losing if I stuck to my calories!
I made a big effort today and did really well all day. Thought I was finished with food for the day and very pleased I'd finally stuck to my calories but I just went off the rails in the last couple of hours.
How do I reign myself in?
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!

Plan, plan, plan. Everyone's different, but what works for me is to have a low calorie breakfast and lunch, then have the bulk of my calories left over for a decadent dinner, wine, chocolate, etc. Then I feel like I've really had a wonderful treat, but I stay within my calories.

I also don't put anything in my mouth until I've entered it into my calorie counter (I use ************). That helps me stay accountable, so I know EXACTLY where I am for the day.

HTH.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I do plan it all out and I try and keep the majority of my cals for the evening so it feels like I've had a nice treat but somehow it all keeps going straight out the window. Today I tried to spread things out a bit more but still leaving enough for a smaller evening treat and I was happy and satisfied and then the munchies kicked in. I will do better next UD if it kills me!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
I'm having the same problem and I have been trying to solve this myself...

One part of the solution I came up with that might help you, is dividing your calories by meal.

So, if I could have 1700 cals in a day, I might do 700 for breakfast, 500 for lunch, 100 for snack, and 400 for dinner. Just an example. If you like to eat late, then maybe switch breakfast and dinner cals. Then you can plan meals that are within those calorie limits.
DD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #5

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Stitch, how much have you lost now?

Please remember, this is not a race. It sounds as if you are having the time of your life "overeating". And still losing.

Tell us more please?

Oh, and take up knitting. Sorry,
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
Stich, I started a thread about this too a week ago and I've still been over quite a bit on my UD. That said, while I haven't weighed myself since I started about a month ago, I will say that I am shrinking fast. Everyone is noticing it. Every day I wake up smaller. So if your weight loss isn't affected, maybe just not focus on it so much and see what happens. Hugs to you!
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Wow, Nicki, really?!?
Nobody has noticed my loss, which makes it even more frustrating. If I look the same, what's the point? (and yes, 25lb gone and I'm still wearing the same clothes).

Not bashing you at all, just envious.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am sorry that you are feeling down but don't quit. There is a reason for losing 25 pounds and that is your health. keep on keeping on and you will get to where you want to be. I am a SLOW loser and I really could not tell any difference until around an 18 pounds loss. Now every pound looks like 5 as far as clothing fit goes. Stay the course. It is worth it.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Warning - thread hijack. Kissa I just noted your new profile picture. You're stunning! Congrats!
TryingJudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Kissa does look awesome- very inspiring!

Stitch-- I really suggest you post your menus (or at least truthfully write down everything you eat, and when, and even your mood-- Dr J recommends this in the book) for a few UD and DD, to figure out a pattern.

maybe you're hormonal, maybe you're not eating enough X or too much Y... you won't know till you study your menus.

If you want to do it online, maybe start a thread just for you, and then a few experienced folks can comment on it? Something like that.

Or post in the daily menu thread, and then get them all together for 5 days or a week and see what you did.

I agree with Dawn-- I try to plan in advance, and if I"m not able, I go one meal at a time, so I know what I have left for the day-- but mostly, I plan in advance, and then stick to the plan. If anything, I wind up not eating the food b/c I'm too full (crazy, I know), and then have to find denser, high calorie food (enter wine, chocolate, pb) to get the cals without bulk.

Anyway--I digress. I suggest you find a site (and matching app) that you like so you can have the food info at your fingertips (most people here use either ************ or *********) and that you post menus for folks and yourself to analyse.

And-- good for you to be losing anyway!
Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I agree with the food/mood diary. It seems to me something must be triggering the "hunger" (and I put it in quotes because if you've eaten the calories required to nourish your body, it shouldn't be true hunger). But if you've eaten calories, and not nourished your cells, then your body still thinks it's hungry.

Insulin can do this to us. Eating lots of carbs triggers insulin to release, and insulin signals the body to store fat. If you are insulin resistant, the system doesn't work like it should, and instead of that energy getting shuttled to the cells to feed them, it gets stored as fat. So you ate, but your cells didn't get fed, and send out signals that they need fuel. So you eat again. And if it's pretty carby, the same thing happens again. And again.

I think going lower carb for a time can help break the cycle. One thing lc does very well is cause your body to turn to fat for it's energy. It also helps improve insulin sensitivity. Your cells get fed, and quit sending out the SOS for more food. Then, when you take in carbs, they are metabolized properly.

It's just a theory so far, but I'm wondering if those who have trouble on the UD's need a time of lower carb for healing, and then re-introduce carbs slowly.

I know one of the beauties of JUDDD is no food forbidden. But that comes with a caveat. No food is forbidden IF your body can handle it. I'm allergic to dairy and eggs. I can't eat them, even on JUDDD. Artificial sweeteners cause me to crave carbs and eat and eat and eat. Sugar does the same. So those foods are forbidden (or at least severely restricted for me). I have issues with my blood sugar. There are foods I just can't eat.

It's likely that you won't need to stay lc forever. But it could be helpful to get back in control. Something to think about anyway.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Stitch, how much have you lost now?

Please remember, this is not a race. It sounds as if you are having the time of your life "overeating". And still losing.

Tell us more please?

Oh, and take up knitting. Sorry,
Kissa you look HOT!

I started 5 weeks ago today at 133.5. Right now I'm bouncing between 125.9 after an UD and 123.2ish after a DD. I just weighed myself there and this morning I'm 124.7 after a 2700 calorie UD yesterday!
I fast on my DD's which is probably the only reason I'm creating any kind of calorie deficit.Its must only be a few hundred calories.

Mykidsteacher: I don't think I want to go low carb again but I do think I should focus on healthier carbs for a while.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I'm just going to have a great DD today and tomorrow try and get some control over myself.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
Start Date: 3.26.12
I also have to tightly control UDs because if I ate what I wanted it would be a 3000+ calorie day every day. Unfortunately UDs sometimes feel like more of a diet day then DDs which are just simpler. What has been working for me in the last couple of weeks has been really counter-intuitive to this longtime LCer but I have been (like Keirasmom) saving the bulk of my calories for dinner and evening so I don't feel deprived and ALSO skimping on protein or choosing only lean or a small amount of protein early in the day. Having relied for years on protein and fat with no restrictions this feels backwards but those high fat proteins kill your calorie budget. So I start the day often with a fat free yogurt and have a salad or ratatouille for lunch. Low fat, lots of veggies or some fruit and save the "expensive" protein calories for dinner. Seems to help me keep my UDs in line if I can keep away from the sweets. HTH!
TryingJudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:38 AM   #14

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post

I also don't put anything in my mouth until I've entered it into my calorie counter (I use ************). That helps me stay accountable, so I know EXACTLY where I am for the day.

HTH.
That's me. First thing every morning, DD or UD I enter my "plan" into livestrong app I have. I allow for adjustments as needed, but having a plan is key. Like yesterday, I knew we were doing GF Fried chicken for dinner. I specifically ate a large veggie salad with chicken for lunch to leave ample calories for dinner. It also helps me planning in the morning since I have to take it all to work with me. What I don't have at WORK, I can't eat! Obviously that doesn't apply to my one DD on the weekend.

Monica -Come see my journey!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post

Right now I'm bouncing between 125.9 after an UD and 123.2ish after a DD. I just weighed myself there and this morning I'm 124.7 after a 2700 calorie UD yesterday!
I fast on my DD's which is probably the only reason I'm creating any kind of calorie deficit.Its must only be a few hundred calories.
What's your height and age? I hate to say this, but 2700 on an up day is a whole lot... I weigh more than double you, and my upper limit is 2200.

I really think that if you have carbs, healthy ones are a must. And I think you'd feel fuller on your UD if you use your calories on higher fat/protein foods. Good meats, fatty fish like salmon, maybe some cheese, nuts, a bit of real mayo or olive oil. JMO.

Soren
Old 05-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
Quote:
I can't seem to get my UD's under control. The first few were OK but now most of them are crazy. I'm always over by about 700-1000 calories. I'm supposed to
be having 1700ish. I've had good losses anyway but I really want to pull it together and get the most out of JUDDD. Imagine how much I'd be losing if I stuck to my calories!
I made a big effort today and did really well all day. Thought I was finished with food for the day and very pleased I'd finally stuck to my calories but I just went off the rails in the last couple of hours.
How do I reign myself in?
I could have wrote this myself......
UUAD's continually .... DD's are really very reasonable for me.
I am still losing weight - I don't really want to relgiously count - I don't want to get crazy counting it makes me spiral. I just ballpark everything. I know that is not a "good" way to do things, but it is the only way I can do things.

I knew that when I got home from work yesterday I had apx 500 calories left.... what did I do??? I made a damn artichoke with mayo/soy sauce dip and bbq beef sausage..... well over my 500 and the worst thing about it was that I WASN'T HUNGRY - I WAS STUFFED FROM THE DAY'S EATING!

I guess we just keep on keeping on - keep on trying - try to plan (for what it's worth - my plans fall through - try to count - try to do a real UD)

I actually like that in the book it states not to count UD calories - then I go and read a Dr. J answer to someone. KISS...is always my motto
Old 05-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Healthier carbs are good too. I'm really not lc--I regularly eat over 100g carbs (gross) each day (a bit lower on dd's). But I don't eat grains or sugar. And I think that helps me.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
Yesterday I knew I was going out for dinner and wanted to endulge by getting a chickfila sandwich and fries (fried foods = endulging lol) and have a cupcake too so I put all that in ************ app on my phone the night before. I then knew how much I had left for breakfast & lunch. I had planned on running out at lunch and figured up a few low cal items at Wendy's put that in and was left w/ about 300ish for breakfast which I brought from home. Works out great to plan ahead, even the day before!

If you're getting munchies late at night and are saving calories for it why don't you try a 100 cal bag of popcorn. Add in a tsp of dark or semi sweet choc chips, some dried cranberries, few pecans something like that. It makes a great snack and can be low in calories if careful. Sugar free popcicles are my go to if I want something sweet at night...As long as there's no cake or cookies in the house! I would def want them instead so I tend to just keep them far away esp since coming off LC. But I'm missing carbs so bad I've dived in. I try to keep my DD lower in carbs.

Natasha

Last edited by BaileysGirl; 05-04-2012 at 11:45 AM..
BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #19

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryingJudd View Post
Warning - thread hijack. Kissa I just noted your new profile picture. You're stunning! Congrats!
Many thanks, that is the most flattering dress!

Quote:
Kissa you look HOT!

I started 5 weeks ago today at 133.5. Right now I'm bouncing between 125.9 after an UD and 123.2ish after a DD. I just weighed myself there and this morning I'm 124.7 after a 2700 calorie UD yesterday!

Mykidsteacher: I don't think I want to go low carb again but I do think I should focus on healthier carbs for a while.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. I'm just going to have a great DD today and tomorrow try and get some control over myself.
And thanks again.

Stitch, Terrilyn, you are losing weight! Smile please, relax and enjoy. Both of are doing okay, don't beat yourselves up, take your time and remember you only diet half the time.

If you were on any other WOE you would be gaining if your let yourselves go and enjoy yourselves like you can on JUDDD.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenkkg View Post
What's your height and age? I hate to say this, but 2700 on an up day is a whole lot... I weigh more than double you, and my upper limit is 2200.

I really think that if you have carbs, healthy ones are a must. And I think you'd feel fuller on your UD if you use your calories on higher fat/protein foods. Good meats, fatty fish like salmon, maybe some cheese, nuts, a bit of real mayo or olive oil. JMO.

Soren
I'm 5'2" and 22 years old.
Don't worry, I know I'm eating an obscene amount of calories. I don't even know how I'm capable of eating that much in one day!
Old 05-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm 5'2" and 22 years old.
Don't worry, I know I'm eating an obscene amount of calories. I don't even know how I'm capable of eating that much in one day!
I used the DrJohnson site's calculator-- your up days should be about 1655 (assuming little/no exercise, which everyone seems to, to provide a wee bit of buffer... I don't actually exercise, so it's perfect for me )

and your DD says 331 at the 20% weight loss level.

I know I can do a 1600 calorie day and be ok with it, and I'm twice your weight (and almost age )-- so you just need to experiment with foods to find some that make you feel full and satisfied without going over on calories. I really think that's the key-- lots of bulky fibrous veggies (broccoli, cabbage stir fry, cauliflower) and some good fatty meats, fish (did I say this already?) and you can have a great UD without going over.

log, log, log what you do to find the pattern, and don't stress it too much-- you said you're losing a bit, so that's great!

S.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: Paleo/primal 80/20
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I am always amazed at how little other people eat on UD's. I couldn't imagine doing a 1600 calorie UD voluntarily (ie not due to illness or a food shortage) and keeping with it long term.
Avicenna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
I am always amazed at how little other people eat on UD's. I couldn't imagine doing a 1600 calorie UD voluntarily (ie not due to illness or a food shortage) and keeping with it long term.
LOL. That street goes both ways. It is hard for me to imagine being able to eat much more than that (which makes me wonder why I was overweight--well, actually not--I was a bigtime sugar freak and so that I'm sure bumped my calories up). But without grains or sugar, I just don't get that hungry, and I get really full really fast.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
This is kind of embarrassing but it seems to have worked well for me. I threatened myself that if I didn't stay within my UD calories I was going to make myself do JUDDD low carb Then I made a bargain with myself that if I kept all of my weekday UD's in the right range I could pick one weekend UD to go over. So far I haven't needed it but it made me feel better. Not sure how long it will work but I am doing much better. I am also not wanting to eat out of hunger but more because I really enjoy eating so not sure if this is helpful if you are actually hungry.
If your body is still burning off all the calories and you are still losing that is fantastic! Maybe you are one of the lucky ones that can eat more and may lose better?
Old 05-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

I was thinking yesterday that I'm damn lucky and I shouldn't be complaining at all. The fact that I can lose anything at all or even maintain this weight eating this much is amazing! However, I'm still going way over the top. So today is my up day and my goal for the day is just to keep it under 2000 calories. I think that by allowing myself that bit extra, when I hit 1650/1700 I won't go crazy. Well, I'll try it out today anyway and report back. Thanks for all your help and wish me luck please!
Old 05-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Stich I'm a little confused. How did you come up with 2700 calories for your UD's. And you say you are going over that by 700-1,000 calories? It seems that you don't have a lot of weight to lose perhaps you just need to give yourself a little tough love and tell yourself " no". There are days when all I want to do is get cozy and eat chocolate and watch a favorite movie, ALL DAY. I just need to ask myself what my priorities are, immediate gratification or my skinny jeans. Of course it's ok to give in once in a blue moon but if it's happening on every UD then you must be honest with yourself and ask " am I even on Juddd and this woe?" If going way over calories on UD is the rule and not the exception perhaps it is time to reevaluate and just start over fresh. You can do it but you have to be honest with yourself. You have to be your own best friend. We can all offer support, but in the end it's up to you. Good luck I have faith in you.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I think Stich said her calorie allowance was 1700, but she was eating up to 2700, not that that was her limit. A few numbers got lost along the way in all of the responses. I just read from several days back

Is your boyfriend still having health issues? I know the stress of that was causing problems.

I just read the pdf version of Eat Stop Eat and he mentions fasting 2 days a week. Mark's Dailey Apple also has some very good info on the fasting also. I think you said you fasted on your down days. That could have a lot to do with why you can eat more. Your young age also helps!!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Stitch maybe you can try to always save 200-250 calories for right before bedtime. That way you will always have room for your bedtime munchies. The worst that can happen is you fall asleep before using them. I usually allow myself 200 calories for some chocolate esp around TOM. No one knows you better than you do. If you know that it is your pattern to munch at bedtime it is easier to plan for it rather than fight it. Just think of how rewarding it will be when you step on the scale. Just a suggestion. Again good luck
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:53 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Hey everyone! I did better yesterday. I managed to come in at about 2100 calories. Not perfect but quite an improvement! I'll try and do better next UD and I guess I'll see if this has paid off tomorrow.xxx
Old 05-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 48 5'9.. 11-18-14 #176.
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Stich.. this is of course just my oppionion and you can take it for what thats worth~ You are losing~~~ You ARE STILL LOSING~~ soo leave it be.. Dont try to and do anything differnt untill you see it stop..Then when you see it stop try to re duce your updays or rather keep them closer to what you should, but for me.. i say eat what you are and keep that loss going.. Like i said,, JUST my thoughts.. you are lucky enough to be able to eat above your number and it s working so why fix what aint broken..
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote