Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nfowife
Stats: 169/157/140
WOE: Atkins-ish...Taubes really
Start Date: March 26 2012
JUDDD questions from a newbie....low carb?

I've been doing low-carb/atkins for the past 5 weeks. I've lost a bit but it's been soooooooooo slow. I'm down 6 lbs. in 5 weeks. I don't have a lot to lose, but I've had more success on other plans and I'm starting to feel frustrated. I'm thinking about moving over to a JUDDD way of eating but still doing low-carb because I really do believe in the low-carb way of eating for health and long-term maintenance. How does that work? I am worried if I start adding in more carbs that I'll gain back the little I've already lost.
A few questions about JUDDD in general:
-Do you just go day by day? Like, Monday down, Tuesday up, etc.? On the down days can you have things like diet soda?
-The JUDDD website lists my DD calories (using no excercise) as 400 and up days as 1800. Do you track calories religiously on the UD or just try to eat to satisfaction and not worry so much about calories? Right now I've been doing 20-30 carbs, 1500 cals a day. I'm 5'3 and 163.

Any insight you can give me would be great! Thanks ladies!
nfowife is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfowife View Post
I've been doing low-carb/atkins for the past 5 weeks. I've lost a bit but it's been soooooooooo slow. I'm down 6 lbs. in 5 weeks. I don't have a lot to lose, but I've had more success on other plans and I'm starting to feel frustrated. I'm thinking about moving over to a JUDDD way of eating but still doing low-carb because I really do believe in the low-carb way of eating for health and long-term maintenance. How does that work? I am worried if I start adding in more carbs that I'll gain back the little I've already lost. The beautiful thing about JUDDD is that you can eat however you feel best. Low carb, no carb, or carb up like crazy. It's all about the calories, not the food choices.
-Do you just go day by day? Like, Monday down, Tuesday up, etc.? On the down days can you have things like diet soda? Yes, you alternate DD/UD/DD/UD. You can have whatever you want as long as it's in your allotted calories.
-The JUDDD website lists my DD calories (using no excercise) as 400 and up days as 1800. Do you track calories religiously on the UD or just try to eat to satisfaction and not worry so much about calories? Right now I've been doing 20-30 carbs, 1500 cals a day. I'm 5'3 and 163. Yes, it's best if you track both days religiously. Some people eat way over their calories if they don't track, and others don't get close enough to make the plan work unless they track.

KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tibaby
I'm just new.... and usually lose weight on low carb.. not so this time.... after a binge off in Florida. Well not exactly... but I certainly got into sugar and no no breads !!!!
Beat myself up good. Got back home and although on low carb just not getting anywhere and not feeling all the great on low carb. Sugar withdrawal, carb withdrawal perhaps?
But what does JUDD mean????? Don't understand the lingo. Why I screwed up so badly,
I have no idea... because although I was losing weight slowly.. I was happy and content and most of all not hungry !! Any suggestions as to why my body is rebelling and bloating and resisting?????
tibaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
JUDDD is strictly about calories. The food you eat is your decision. You can LC or not. Just follow the UD DD rotations and eat the correct amount of calories and that is it. Simple.
I personally feel you should track closely when starting JUDDD. After a bit when you can memorize what each food is calorie wise then that would be your decision.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
Quote:
I've been doing low-carb/atkins for the past 5 weeks. I've lost a bit but it's been soooooooooo slow. I'm down 6 lbs. in 5 weeks. I don't have a lot to lose, but I've had more success on other plans and I'm starting to feel frustrated. I'm thinking about moving over to a JUDDD way of eating but still doing low-carb because I really do believe in the low-carb way of eating for health and long-term maintenance. How does that work? I am worried if I start adding in more carbs that I'll gain back the little I've already lost.
-Do you just go day by day? Like, Monday down, Tuesday up, etc.? On the down days can you have things like diet soda?
-The JUDDD website lists my DD calories (using no excercise) as 400 and up days as 1800. Do you track calories religiously on the UD or just try to eat to satisfaction and not worry so much about calories? Right now I've been doing 20-30 carbs, 1500 cals a day. I'm 5'3 and 163.

I alternate..UD, DD, UD, DD repeat.... I'm ashamed to admit I still drink my beloved Diet Pepsi like a fish (I WILL cut down next week!!). I had a lot of trouble with 500 on DDs when I first started so I upped it to 600 and it is much easier! You can up your DDs in the beginning then slowly lower the number as you go along. I track the heck out of calories mainly because I've been journaling what I eat for over a year due to a stint with Weight Watchers (I actually still go to get an "offical" weigh in every Monday). In my opinion tracking what you eat/calories is well worth the few minutes it takes to look it up and write it down. I could personally easily go WAY over my 1700 on UD, but there are also ladies on this board who wouldn't eat enough on their UD if they didn't track (and you should eat your whole allotment of calories on UD). You'll find that everyone on this board is very eager to stear new folks in the right direction and offer endless encouragement, this board is spectacular!!! So if you have any more questions ask away!

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibaby View Post
I'm just new.... and usually lose weight on low carb.. not so this time.... after a binge off in Florida. Well not exactly... but I certainly got into sugar and no no breads !!!!
Beat myself up good. Got back home and although on low carb just not getting anywhere and not feeling all the great on low carb. Sugar withdrawal, carb withdrawal perhaps?
But what does JUDD mean????? Don't understand the lingo. Why I screwed up so badly,
I have no idea... because although I was losing weight slowly.. I was happy and content and most of all not hungry !! Any suggestions as to why my body is rebelling and bloating and resisting?????
JUDDD = Johnson Up Day Down Day Diet.
You can find most of the info you need on here under the "sticky" posts or google the diet name for more
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nfowife
Stats: 169/157/140
WOE: Atkins-ish...Taubes really
Start Date: March 26 2012
Thanks for the clarification. I am finding it a little hard to merge the knowledge of Atkins/Taubes on low carb and how it's not just "calories in calories out" and that WHAT you eat is so much more important. Though I know that calories count, and that's why I have been recording every morsel in my mouth for the past 3 weeks. Counting calories I can do no problem!
I think I will give JUDDD a try starting on Monday and see how it goes for a good 3 weeks. I don't think I will do the shakes the first 2 weeks but since I'm already counting and measuring and tracking what I have been eating I'm pretty confident in my ability to measure and record what I'm eating for my UD/DD. I plan to stick with LC as much as I can.
I'm also starting a new bootcamp fitness program on Monday so we'll see how it all adds up! Do you do an UD or DD for your first day? If so maybe I should increase my cals on Sunday to the UD amount of 1800 rather than the typical 1500 I've been aiming for? So then Monday will be my first DD?
nfowife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I started on an UD. Do what feels comfortable for you. I came over from Adkins and added some carbs and didn't gain.
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I am finding it a little hard to merge the knowledge of Atkins/Taubes on low carb and how it's not just "calories in calories out" and that WHAT you eat is so much more important. Though I know that calories count, and that's why I have been recording every morsel in my mouth for the past 3 weeks. Counting calories I can do no problem!
I think I will give JUDDD a try starting on Monday and see how it goes for a good 3 weeks. I don't think I will do the shakes the first 2 weeks but since I'm already counting and measuring and tracking what I have been eating I'm pretty confident in my ability to measure and record what I'm eating for my UD/DD. I plan to stick with LC as much as I can.
I'm also starting a new bootcamp fitness program on Monday so we'll see how it all adds up! Do you do an UD or DD for your first day? If so maybe I should increase my cals on Sunday to the UD amount of 1800 rather than the typical 1500 I've been aiming for? So then Monday will be my first DD?
You'll want to start with an UD to fully fuel yourself for your DD.

I've read Taubes, Mark Sisson, and others, and merge what I've learned and believe about carbs and insulin response in with my JUDDDing. I eat what I consider moderate carb (100-120g gross) on UD's, but those carbs come from veggies, some fruit, nuts, nut butters, nut flours, and other incidentals that are in the protein foods I eat. I don't eat grains or refined sugar (I use coconut sugar and stevia as sweeteners). I will have a potato maybe once a week, and a sweet potato once or twice.

You don't have to dive in to the white flours and white sugars if you don't want to.

Every calorie isn't created equal, but calorie excess or deficits do matter. It's sort of both.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I have celiac so I don't eat flour and sugar has never been kind to me. I may have a little sugar as a splurge, but even on my UD's I choose to eat something better than SUGAR or sugary items. For the most part, LC is what I am following, or maybe it would be moderate carbs
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
oops posted in the wrong thread.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote