Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   FINALLY read the book... question/clarification (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/770391-finally-read-book-question-clarification.html)

sugarfreemarie 05-03-2012 10:30 AM

FINALLY read the book... question/clarification

So I finally read the book on kindle. Very easy diet to follow. And Johnson talks about why the Atkins diet is not preferred, etc. Made sense. Okay, so in the FAQ's, one of the questions was (paraphrasing)
How much should I eat on my up day?
So his explanation computing your "numbers" in is to get a DD number, not specifically get an UD number. He said that you do not need to restrict the amount you eat on an UD. There is no specific calorie requirement for the up day.

So my question is, is there anyone who does not count their calories on an UP day, while staying very close to their DD? I ate an average of 3000 calories on an UP day and didn't want to worry about it.

ALSO, I need some insight. I have been 230 for the last four and a half years. This is WITHOUT trying to lose or gain weight. Meaning, as much as I eat and am unactive, I CANNOT GAIN WEIGHT. It boggles me. Now, this is only my 3rd UP day. Do you think that my body will respond now that I am cycling my calories and doing (IF)? I know some of your responses will be.. "give it a try and see". I know that :) but I was just wondering what your thoughts were as to why I can't gain weight and if maybe JUDDD will be the ultimate trick!

Thanks guys! You are all awesome!

Yam-Yam 05-03-2012 11:12 AM

Some people do not count on UDs but IMHO those are people who do not have a problem with overeating. Most of us should count so we don't go over. Some have to count so they eat enough.

The reason it's important to do rotations for at leat 2-3 weeks is to build up the sirtuins that make your body burn fat and stop storing extra calories as fat.

As to the reason you stayed at the same weight: I just think your metabolism reached a certain set point. Your Leptin hormones were telling your brain "we have enough fat stored for energy and can flush out the extra. Don't need any more".

Luna Loca 05-03-2012 11:46 AM

Yeah, in his book he does say that. But on his website he gives a calorie count for up days. I think what happened is he realized that people with weight problems often overeat, their "full" mechanism is broken (mine is, I can eat and eat and eat) and so they need the guidance of a number.

We have found here with the experience of lots of JUDDD buddds that most who lose successfully respect that upper number just as much as they do that lower number. Free days (where we don't count and just eat whatever we want) are best reserved for maintenance, if then.

heyjupiter 05-03-2012 11:49 AM

I know they always say "read the book!" but in this instance, don't listen to the book!

Why?

Cuz if you knew how to eat normally you wouldn't be here in the first place.

JUDDD is very easy with one rule. Eat to your calorie limits on all days. Really, that's it! Skirt this and your losses may not be as expected.

sugarfreemarie 05-03-2012 11:51 AM

Thanks, guys!

stargazer 05-03-2012 11:51 AM

In the FAQ section he even acknowledges that some of the people following the diet restricted to lower than their allotted up days numbers and lost well.

There is also a mention of allowing exercise calories in your DDs so maybe that's why I am so hungry - I do HIIT on DD mornings.

monica1210 05-03-2012 12:13 PM

Very interesting. Part of what was so appealing on this WOE, for me, was the ability to eat NORMALLY on my UP and not count.

I usually stay around 500-600 calories on my DD, but frequently eat right around 2100-2200 on my UD. I work in a corporate environment and eating out is a BIG part of my life. If I eat out, I do try to keep the other meals reasonable.

Perhaps this is why my weight loss is so painfully slow. But the freedom from counting on the UD is LOVELY.

I think I am going to experiment and see if I can do the following: According to the calculators, my DD should be 348. I will keep it at or below this number for a few weeks while keeping with my UD shenanigans. I am curious to see if this works. :) Thanks for getting me thinking!

jiggles 05-03-2012 12:45 PM

When I did JUDDD last winter I did not count calories on my UDs at all. I just ate normal amounts and tried not to overeat. I lost 15 lbs. in 3 months (which isn't a lot but I had about 40 lbs. to lose and I really wasn't very strict on the weekends, which are my downfall). Maybe I could've done better if I had counted calories on my UDs too but that was what I liked about JUDDD...only having to count every other day! I HATE counting calories so having to count only to 500 every other day sounded super simple.

I fell off the diet wagon a while ago and have been struggling to get back on. I just restarted JUDDD with a DD yesterday. I'm going to try it again with not counting on my UDs and see where I get. If I don't lose then I'll count. I do have an idea of how many calories I take in on an UD because I'm a walking calorie counter book. I know the calories in most of the food I eat unless I'm eating out.

monica1210 05-03-2012 12:52 PM

So jiggles, like he said in the book, as long as you don't go overboard on the UD, you should not have to count. Yes, it may take a little longer, but it's worth it to me.

I agree with you on hating the counting. It's a chore and just one more thing I have to do in a day. Counting on just the DD and keeping that number low is my new experiment. :) Good luck and welcome back!

sugarfreemarie 05-03-2012 01:09 PM

Thanks ladies for getting me thinking. I haaaaate counting stuff! But something in the book he said that was interesting was that if you are overweight, you have to count your calories but then again, he didn't mention anything about counting up day calories. I think what I will proceed with doing is doing the shakes on my dd for the next weeks, eat whatever on my up days and go from there. I am hoping my appetite will regulate my "overeating" on up days.

jiggles 05-03-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica1210 (Post 15629698)
So jiggles, like he said in the book, as long as you don't go overboard on the UD, you should not have to count. Yes, it may take a little longer, but it's worth it to me.

I agree with you on hating the counting. It's a chore and just one more thing I have to do in a day. Counting on just the DD and keeping that number low is my new experiment. :) Good luck and welcome back!

Yup, and if you find that you aren't losing you can always switch to counting those UD calories too. :)

And thanks! I have tried restarting several times since Christmas so I'm hoping it sticks this time. I started a new workout program a week ago and decided this week that I really should work on my eating if I want to see results. JUDDD has been the only diet that I saw results with and wasn't completely miserable on. I don't know why I let myself slip. :doh:

Sheridan 05-03-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiggles (Post 15630454)
I don't know why I let myself slip. :doh:

Because you're human. :hugs:

Muffabuff 05-03-2012 11:31 PM

Sugarfreemarie just my humble opinion but if we knew how to control our portions and snacking and such things we would not be overweight. I for one believe it is extremely important to calculate and stay within your UD calories as well as your DD calories. I understand that it's more fun to just wing it on up days but that is how we got into this mess to begin with. This woe is very simple but it does have some rules. And the biggest one is to respect your calories both up and dd days. If you eat on your up days as you always have you might very well weigh what you've always weighed. Those days are called free days around here.

Kissa 05-04-2012 05:03 AM

Hi sfmarie, one of our JUDDERS her, I think it was Nickiecapps asked dr J just this question and he REPLIED. I will try to add a link when I find it.

Msevon2 05-04-2012 06:29 AM

Good morning. My name is Evon and I have been doing Juddd since 18 Mar. I have lost 10# as of this morning. I could lose that much a lot quicker on Low carb, but I could not stick to low carb. I kept falling off and felt like a failure. I love this cause I can eat what I want and as much as I want on my ud and still lose. And I do eat. I dont count calories. Sometimes, I have eaten a whole bag of doritoes, and still lost weight on my ud. Today is an ud but my last ud, I ate what I wanted and lost a pound that day, and it included birthday cake, and frozen yogurt and mexican for lunch. So I am definitely enjoying it. I think the reason it works is because you have 3 or 4 down days a week at less than 500 calories, if it is 4 you are eating lots less calories than you were before. My loss is slow, but that is what I need. Being older, if I lose too fast, I would look like a deflated balloon. That is the reason I chose JUDDD instead of weight loss surgery.

gotsomeold 05-04-2012 07:27 AM

Dr J wrote his book in 2003. Since then, science has learned a lot about IF/caloric restriction and the sirtuin enzymes. And, I bet, Dr J has learned a lot-lot-lot about overweight eaters and the different WOEs.

I wish he would write a new edition.

Kissa 05-04-2012 11:00 AM

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...l#post15631029

Here you go. From the Dr himself.