Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Dr. Oz endorses (a version of) JUDDD... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/770370-dr-oz-endorses-version-juddd.html)

cartersmommy 05-03-2012 05:41 AM

Dr. Oz endorses (a version of) JUDDD...

7-Day Calorie Confusion Meal Plan | The Dr. Oz Show

Dottie 05-03-2012 05:42 AM

I could do a heck of a lot better food for 2000 calories than a turkey sandwich with low-fat cheese and a chicken breast! :laugh:
Ans 3oz of steak on and UD? Puleeze! I have more than that on a DD. On UD's the cows have to run or else they're on the plate!

stargazer 05-03-2012 05:57 AM

Crumbs. 1200 cals on a down day. I would be in heaven! Plus you are allowed weekends both up days.

Sounds great but I think I'd gain on that much food.

Becky 05-03-2012 05:59 AM

My UD is 1,700, I think I would be eating too much with 2,000 and my DD is 600 so 1,200 would be WAY too much (for me). That he is endorsing something akin to JUDDD is good but I think the calories should be specific to each person like JUDDD is, clumping everyone into 2,000 and 1,200 would not work for everyone, me thinks.

mykidsteacher 05-03-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15628603)
I could do a heck of a lot better food for 2000 calories than a turkey sandwich with low-fat cheese and a chicken breast! :laugh:
Ans 3oz of steak on and UD? Puleeze! I have more than that on a DD. On UD's the cows have to run or else they're on the plate!

This made me LOL! :hyst:

Yeah, I think that'd be way too much food for me and I'd gain. It's the same basic principle, but tries to make it one size fits all, and simplify it (plus make it not so 'scary' and more pc with the higher dd cals). If there's one thing we learn quickly here, there's no such thing as one size fits all when it comes to a woe.

As he presents it, it will work for some, and fail for others, and those it fails for will have no idea that they could tweak it and likely make it work for them.

sunday 05-03-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykidsteacher (Post 15628868)
This made me LOL! :hyst:

Yeah, I think that'd be way too much food for me and I'd gain. It's the same basic principle, but tries to make it one size fits all, and simplify it (plus make it not so 'scary' and more pc with the higher dd cals). If there's one thing we learn quickly here, there's no such thing as one size fits all when it comes to a woe.

As he presents it, it will work for some, and fail for others, and those it fails for will have no idea that they could tweak it and likely make it work for them.

Boy aren't you right!!! :goodpost:

I tried and tried to up my cals to what Dr. J recommended and I was stuck for a long time!

LOL! to Dottie! :lol: :rofl: He definitely messed up the 2,000 cal menu! :lol:

Dottie 05-03-2012 08:06 AM

I think he has the right "idea" but the wrong method.
With 1200 cals DD and 2000 UD, he's not creating a very big calorie difference.
Also, since 1200 calories is a typical "diet" calorie intake, it's not creating the deficit needed. 2000 calories may be too many cals for most people to maintain, so he's basically having you eat 1600 calories a day(averaging the 2 days).
On juddd, if you do 2000 cals on UD's and 500 on DD's, you're averaging 1250cals a day on the weight loss part.
Oz's idea is probably a good maint program #s, but for loss, I would think it's too many calories.

Dottie 05-03-2012 08:07 AM

Sorry that was kind of a ramble.

sophiethecat 05-03-2012 08:23 AM

I never watched Dr. Oz before, but happened to catch the show on Monday when I was at my Gma's. The show looks like it can interesting, but each thing discussed flies by way too fast - not indepth enough for my tastes. :) I know that's because they have sponsors and commercial breaks to get to, but still.... would be nice if a show existed that goes further than the surface on issues. Or maybe I just need to watch the show more and see if it does....

Anyway, I wonder if he made the DD at 1200 in order not to scare people off or draw criticism against himself. He might be accused of encouraging people to "starve" at "so little calories" every other day. I am not sure I'm saying it right, but you probably get what I mean. :dunno:

You guys cracked me up though - Dottie with the cows better run! :laugh:

Hopefully the segment encouraged some folks to look into alternate day calorie restriction/JUDDD. :)

nickicaps 05-03-2012 08:29 AM

I will be running with the cows, trying to rescue them from you UD hungry JUDDDERS!!

I agree about Dr. Oz, he is so superficial with his "ideas". I wish he would take just 1 and spend the hour really getting in depth about the topic.

But at least our WOL is getting some TV cred! :sing:

sungoddess 05-03-2012 08:41 AM

I always had such respect for the man until this season. If you notice the three top words his producers now have him use, it really annoys me.

Secret-- all the "SECRETS" he is sharing for this and that.

Shocking- he has "shocking" reports for this and that

Miracle- Miracle pills or solutions for everything.

There IS no miracle Dr Oz. Stop using those words!! I know it is for ratings, but come on, it really discredits him.

He waffles all over the place with his change on supporting various plans and he always has some new miracle supplement that drops a shocking amount of weight. Because I respected him, I did fall into the trap of trying some of the products. SHOCKINGLY, none of them did what he said they would.

I am glad he brought his idea forward for people to look into, if indeed people look into it further. I think the DD's are too high.

LJB 05-03-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

You said it! :cool: I could do even better on the 1,200 calorie days too!

Yam-Yam 05-03-2012 09:07 AM

:goodpost:
Quote:

Originally Posted by sungoddess (Post 15629121)
I always had such respect for the man until this season. If you notice the three top words his producers now have him use, it really annoys me.

Secret-- all the "SECRETS" he is sharing for this and that.

Shocking- he has "shocking" reports for this and that

Miracle- Miracle pills or solutions for everything.

There IS no miracle Dr Oz. Stop using those words!! I know it is for ratings, but come on, it really discredits him.

He waffles all over the place with his change on supporting various plans and he always has some new miracle supplement that drops a shocking amount of weight. Because I respected him, I did fall into the trap of trying some of the products. SHOCKINGLY, none of them did what he said they would.

I am glad he brought his idea forward for people to look into, if indeed people look into it further. I think the DD's are too high.

:goodpost: My feelings exactly!!!

BaileysGirl 05-03-2012 09:12 AM

I tell my DH if I took all the supplements that he recommends on his shows I'd be taking supplements 24 hours a day!

shirlc 05-03-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaileysGirl (Post 15629212)
I tell my DH if I took all the supplements that he recommends on his shows I'd be taking supplements 24 hours a day!

^^^This, exactly!!!

NoWeigh 05-03-2012 09:56 AM

The numbers he suggested may not fit for everyone, maybe some. However, what was wonderful was that he talked about why this works, that by eating very low calorie all the time we actually SLOW our metabolisms and this UD/DD method works to correct that! So I say, HOORAY for Dr. Oz!

circusgirl 05-03-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

oh good lord. you are my new best friend. :hyst:

IThinkICan 05-03-2012 09:23 PM

Dr. Oz will never suggest consuming less than 1200 calories. He did a show in which he examined the HCG diet. While there were plenty of success stories on the show, he couldn't get past the fact they were eating 500 cal/day. He thought it was a diet worth looking into at 1200 cal/day. It's like 1200 cal is the magic number in the medical realm - and don't you dare suggest below it, or we won't keep you in our doctors club!

I wish I had seen this particular show to see what exactly he said was the reasoning behind mixing up the calories.

On another note, while I was a bit younger I did do a WW points version of semi-up days and down days during the week with two up-higher days on weekends. There was not a huge calorie difference between the semi-up and down days though - perhaps 300-500 only - maybe the more increased weekend calories helped contribute to the plan? I did manage to lose 17 pounds in 3-4 months, still eating ice cream each night and at least one meal of real pizza or Chinese take-out each weekend. But I was younger than, hadn't yet gotten married or had any kids... my body worked differently then...

Becky 05-04-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IThinkICan (Post 15630795)
Dr. Oz will never suggest consuming less than 1200 calories. He did a show in which he examined the HCG diet. While there were plenty of success stories on the show, he couldn't get past the fact they were eating 500 cal/day. He thought it was a diet worth looking into at 1200 cal/day. It's like 1200 cal is the magic number in the medical realm - and don't you dare suggest below it, or we won't keep you in our doctors club!

I wish I had seen this particular show to see what exactly he said was the reasoning behind mixing up the calories.

On another note, while I was a bit younger I did do a WW points version of semi-up days and down days during the week with two up-higher days on weekends. There was not a huge calorie difference between the semi-up and down days though - perhaps 300-500 only - maybe the more increased weekend calories helped contribute to the plan? I did manage to lose 17 pounds in 3-4 months, still eating ice cream each night and at least one meal of real pizza or Chinese take-out each weekend. But I was younger than, hadn't yet gotten married or had any kids... my body worked differently then...

The Wendy program? I was about to try that when I discovered JUDDD.

IThinkICan 05-06-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky (Post 15631871)
The Wendy program? I was about to try that when I discovered JUDDD.

Yes, I think that's what it was!

Skinjob 05-06-2012 09:47 AM

Dr. Oz is a charlatan who gets paid to shill products to people. Don't listen to anything he has to say. Can't stand this bogus "Doctor" and his cultish following of desperate people who will buy anything he promotes on his show. We are smarter than this, people!

OhioGuy 05-07-2012 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaileysGirl (Post 15629212)

im soooo guilty of watch him.
i work from home, tv on all day, thats my poor excuse.
but over the course of a month i wrote down the supps he recommended and why then i went shopping for them. just to see if any of them had ANY affect on ANYTHING. i take a different one per week so i still havent tried them all. but so far the ONE im going to stick with so far is Relora. i am not to the point of recommending it to anyone yet, but its the one im thinking may help a bit

him and and his MAGIC BULLETS
any one see the one where people were mixing phen and a another med, i think for seizures ?

OhioGuy 05-07-2012 01:44 PM

lets not forget, if you eat this and not that, youll lose 13 pounds a year lol
so if you dont eat hree things youll lose 30 pounds lol

Becky 05-07-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioGuy (Post 15638261)
lets not forget, if you eat this and not that, youll lose 13 pounds a year lol
so if you dont eat hree things youll lose 30 pounds lol

Yup, and one week meat is the best thing ever, then only vegetarian living will let you live past 45, then take this pill or that pill...UGH!!!

Though I do have to admit Dr. Oz was the one who introduced me to Primrose oil capsules, been taking them for over a year now.

OhioGuy 05-07-2012 02:04 PM

what are those?

Becky 05-07-2012 03:28 PM

They help with PMS and other lady issues, judging from your ID, you probably wouldn't need them. :hyst:

OhioGuy 05-07-2012 06:22 PM

nope! not that im aware hahaha