Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   I just want to give up! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/770267-i-just-want-give-up.html)

heyjupiter 05-02-2012 05:03 PM

I just want to give up!

Idk anymore,
Maybe this woe isn't for me.
All I can think is so what? When I get to goal, nothing Will be any different. Well, other than being a few lbs lighter. Im still wearing the same clothes I did 25 lbs ago. Seriously. And everything In the store makes me look like a hippo or is too tight. I just want to give up. Why struggle if there's no gain?

Jbinme 05-02-2012 05:10 PM

:console: I'm not really good at knowing what to say but I hope you don't give up:) and :hugs:

adillenal 05-02-2012 05:22 PM

Seriously, you have lost 25 pounds and have NOT gone down in clothing sizes? I have lost 20 and I am 5'7" too and have dropped 2 sizes and in some things 3 sizes.
Don't give up on JUDDD. Just keep doing it and you will keep dropping in weight and size. I still have a closet full of things I can't wear yet but am getting closer every week.

leonak 05-02-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyjupiter (Post 15627651)
Idk anymore,
All I can think is so what? When I get to goal, nothing Will be any different. Well, other than being a few lbs lighter. Im still wearing the same clothes I did 25 lbs ago. Seriously. And everything In the store makes me look like a hippo or is too tight. I just want to give up. Why struggle if there's no gain?

For me the gain is health!:hugs: And with that comes :jumpjoy::high5:

You will gain the best of all world, diet only every other day and be happy:up:

All the very best to you!:heart::high5::heart:

mayleesa 05-02-2012 05:24 PM

Dont give up....plz dont....ull be madder when u gain it all back trust me

MintQ8 05-02-2012 05:24 PM

I'm still wearing some clothes I was wearing 40lbs ago - but I still am smaller and look better!! So do you! I was just very good at finding clothes that stretched!!! I owned some size 12 trousers at 264lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find that there are clothes I try on now - that make me look enormous - it's just so difficult I think to find things that are right for everyone. I'm a size 18/20 right now - but I own a little jacket in a 16 - but can't buy one in a 24 in some places. I've stopped looking at sizes - but am more concerned with what makes me look and feel good.

Perhaps you're not looking at the right styles for you? As I lose weight - I think 'yay' I'll be able to wear that cute sweater and those shorts and that and that. Truth is - even when I get to goal they are not going to ever suit me.

Generally, I stay away from 'trends' - easy to do at 43!! Although a lot of the current trends are great for me (yay!!)

Of course you could just be having a blah day - I have them too!!

Sending hugs your way and remember, if not this way -then what? You're still going to think that some days - whether you're on Atkins, WW, PP, Low Fat. If you enjoy the WOE and are losing weight (and I know you are from your post the other day) and you're getting other health benefits - just keep on keeping on - the clothes will work soon!!

Showcats 05-02-2012 05:39 PM

My stats are very similar to yours and my goal is the same as yours. I also am wearing the same size I did 25 pounds ago. Don't give up - the closer we get to our goal the slower the weight loss will be but just think about how much healthier we will be when we do get there.

Speck333 05-02-2012 05:44 PM

Take a break maybe, but never, EVER give up!

Beeb 05-02-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speck333 (Post 15627728)
Take a break maybe, but never, EVER give up!

:goodpost:

mykidsteacher 05-02-2012 07:14 PM

Please don't give up. If anything, maintain for a time. DD's get to be around 800 calories or so and it's just so freeing.

I wore the same size until I'd lost 20 pounds, when I went down 1 size. Then I lost 2 sizes with the next 7. Makes no sense, it just is what it is.

I'm sorry it is a struggle for you.

circusgirl 05-02-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Showcats (Post 15627724)
My stats are very similar to yours and my goal is the same as yours. I also am wearing the same size I did 25 pounds ago. Don't give up - the closer we get to our goal the slower the weight loss will be but just think about how much healthier we will be when we do get there.

me too. I just lost 20 pounds and I'm wearing the same clothes...and they're not falling off of me either. But I feel better. I hope you do too. :hugs:

mttemple4 05-02-2012 08:00 PM

Hugs.

I have lost 43 lbs and am down only one size. :/ Hang in there.

Becky 05-02-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adillenal (Post 15627694)
Seriously, you have lost 25 pounds and have NOT gone down in clothing sizes? I have lost 20 and I am 5'7" too and have dropped 2 sizes and in some things 3 sizes.
Don't give up on JUDDD. Just keep doing it and you will keep dropping in weight and size. I still have a closet full of things I can't wear yet but am getting closer every week.

I lost down to 160 and was still in the same pants (size 14) as I was when I started Weight Watchers (180). I think it depends on where you lose the weight, my stomach is a slow loser spot (along with my upper arms), I just recently (at 155) got into a size 12 pants....fina-freakin-ly!!! It is depressing when you lose 20 pounds and still fit into your original pants...it feels like it's all for naut.

cuttie99 05-02-2012 08:40 PM

Hang in there!! You were one of the people that inspired me to join Juddd! I loved your comment about the cookies we eat on Juddd! It made me giggle and hopeful about this WOE and willing to give it a try!!! don't you want to continue eating the cookies too!!!:console: consider taking a break if thats helpful. I know that from my experience if my head is not fully in the game I fail on diets. This may not be a good time for you to diet??? Take a look at your life and reevaluate whats best for you now. Best of luck!!!

hockey_gal 05-02-2012 09:00 PM

Give up and do what??? Go back to being 190 lbs? try a different weight loss plan?

Do whatever is right for you...but make a choice with a plan, don't just give up! Your MORE than half way there already :)

It took me one year to lose my 25 lbs, you've done it in a couple of months. I just kept thinking slow loss is still a loss. It's better than nothing and MUCH better than gaining. You have improved your health. You have lost weight. You have accomplished.

casmira 05-03-2012 12:33 AM

You might be wearing the same clothes, but do they fit you properly? If they do, maybe they didn't really fit 25lbs ago.

I don't mean that to be harsh, but to point up that all of us who are career dieters have a very distorted idea of our body shape, of what fits us and what suits us. There will be some among us who fool ourselves that stuffing ourselves into wholly inappropriate clothes that don't fit at all means that we haven't really put on that much weight, for example.

I'm not thinking of anyone in particular when I say that*...

*I hope you all believe!!!

Mimosa23 05-03-2012 12:54 AM

Sending you some support!

Weightloss journeys are tough. I mean, not just the physical part but also the mental part. You are right, you won't FEEL any different at whatever weight you reach unless you change the way you think about things. Easier said than done... :console:

How are you feeling? Do you feel more energetic? How is your health? Has it improved since you started this journey? Maybe it is time to focus on those things, and take your mind of the whole clothes size and weightloss idea. It may motivate you again.

I have found that by doing weightbearing exercise and T-Tapp that my inches are coming off, but my weightloss compared to some here is slow. I've now had not one tenth of an ounce lost for the past 8 days! It can be really frustrating. I'm not even seeing scale bounces!

As for clothing sizes, like some have said here, they really are strange. Some sizes fit, some same sizes don't. Frustrating. I think people with more to lose notice size loss a bit later. It's just the way it is.
It also depends on how your weight is carried by your body, you could have lost lots, but if you carry your weight in your upper body more, it may take more time to notice your body going down in size. The more you lose, the quicker you will notice, especially if you are nearing goal.
:hugs:

Whatever you decide, know that we are here to support you and do pop back in if you decide to go another way. You have been so supportive and motivating here, and I for one would miss you here on the JUDDD board... :sad:

stargazer 05-03-2012 02:42 AM

Never give up!

I agree - you see a drop in dress size more often the closer to your goal weight. Weight tends to come off from the outside in. That is you will see your watch getting loser and be able to zip up those knee high boots before your size 12 jeans.

The magic of looking great in clothes happens for me during the last 10 lbs towards goal. If, like me your waist is the last to drop the fat you can still be a size or two up even though you are within the ideal weight range. Hang on to that image and also the fact that every pound off increases your health.

heyjupiter 05-03-2012 06:59 AM

Thanks everyone.

I didn't eat yesterday, but it was a DD so I guess that's ok. I'm not hungry yet today so I guess we'll see...

sophiethecat 05-03-2012 07:05 AM

:console: So sorry for your discouragement, HJ. I think everyone comes upon bumps in the WL journey, or stalls, or other issues that can bring them down emotionally for a bit. But if you don't give up you will thank yourself later. :high5: We're so glad you're here with us in JUDDDland. :hugs:

vanilla_latte 05-03-2012 07:09 AM

Don't give up!! I'm one who can lose weight and not go down in clothes size very fast, either. Since last year I've lost 21 lbs. and have only had 1-2 shirts that have gotten too big. Pants feel better but I still haven't gone down a size.

Personally, I'd rather see less pounds on the scale than what the tag on my clothes says. :D

mykidsteacher 05-03-2012 07:13 AM

I was thinking about this post last night while drifting off to sleep. And it occurred to me that if we are overweight, and are storing fat, we aren't just storing it under the skin. We have fat around our organs, in our liver and in all sorts of nooks and crannies. Perhaps, with JUDDD, it goes to work on getting rid of that visceral, hidden, internal fat first. Which would actually be a GOOD thing, because that is the stuff that makes us so unhealthy. And yet, it wouldn't affect a tape measure, or our clothing size. And then, when that's somewhat cleaned up, our bodies start working on the fat we can see.

Which may explain why 10 pounds can be 2 sizes if you are closer to goal, and not make a bit of difference when you have more to lose.

I know we want it all to happen at the same time and right away, but our bodies just don't seem to work that way. I did a little googling this morning and it seemed pretty common at the beginning for ladies to need to lose 25-40 pounds before changing sizes. But that is still fat lost! And it is still progress toward the ultimate goal of better health.

So please don't give up. I know you want to 'see' some results, but you ARE seeing results. Those pounds lost are real, and they needed to go. It may be that you are just on the verge of big changes happening. And how sad it would be if you missed out because you gave up too soon.

Mimosa23 05-03-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykidsteacher (Post 15628846)
I was thinking about this post last night while drifting off to sleep. And it occurred to me that if we are overweight, and are storing fat, we aren't just storing it under the skin. We have fat around our organs, in our liver and in all sorts of nooks and crannies. Perhaps, with JUDDD, it goes to work on getting rid of that visceral, hidden, internal fat first. Which would actually be a GOOD thing, because that is the stuff that makes us so unhealthy. And yet, it wouldn't affect a tape measure, or our clothing size. And then, when that's somewhat cleaned up, our bodies start working on the fat we can see.

Which may explain why 10 pounds can be 2 sizes if you are closer to goal, and not make a bit of difference when you have more to lose.

I know we want it all to happen at the same time and right away, but our bodies just don't seem to work that way. I did a little googling this morning and it seemed pretty common at the beginning for ladies to need to lose 25-40 pounds before changing sizes. But that is still fat lost! And it is still progress toward the ultimate goal of better health.

So please don't give up. I know you want to 'see' some results, but you ARE seeing results. Those pounds lost are real, and they needed to go. It may be that you are just on the verge of big changes happening. And how sad it would be if you missed out because you gave up too soon.

:goodpost: Great explanation and this seems very possible for all of us!!! :clap:

TraciLew 05-03-2012 07:31 AM

Hang in there - really. Losing weight can be so frustrating. I know, I feel like I've pretty much been doing it my whole life except the 9 months I was pregnant!!

But don't just quit. Like others have said, if you don't want to JUDDD anymore, go to another plan. I always say it's a lot like quitting a job you're unhappy with without a backup plan. You'll be a lot worse for the wear than if you either stuck with it and worked around it, or found another plan to go with right away.

Some days I do feel that down in the dumps, crap feeling. It's not fair being one of us that can't "eat whatever we want and never gain an ounce". It's completely normal to get those feelings. Just take a little break, cut yourself some slack, but don't ever just quit.

Like some other folks said as well, I got really good at stretching out clothes to make them fit. You'd be surprised to know that you probably are still wearing the same clothes, but without you even seeing, they probably fit much nicer. Do you exercise? Maybe you could start a little resistance work? The scale numbers might slow a bit, but you'll tone up in places and replace fat with muscle, which takes up less space.

In the grand scheme of things, think about it. You've lost 25 pounds!!!! That's incredible! Be proud, but don't give up! :hugs:

Avicenna 05-03-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

When I get to goal, nothing Will be any different. Well, other than being a few lbs lighter.. Why struggle if there's no gain?

I think that's a good question (if not necessarily for yourself, then in general).

Living in a society that teaches that thinness brings happiness and success, I think a lot of people (especially women) look to weight loss as way to attain all sorts of goals. However, the only thing that a weight loss programme promises is...drumroll...weight loss. Just as overeating can't solve anything other than hunger, in and of itself, weight loss can't bring about self-worth, a better job, love, popularity, a happy marriage, or anything else that people might be trying to get from it. These things may come along in the weight loss journey, but there's no guarantee.

So I think it is valuable in general for people to look at why they want to lose weight, and if there are other goals in addition to reducing size, to look at additional ways to accomplish those goals.

Of course, this might be different for you - I just was struck by this in general.

PS I am sure you don't look like a hippo in your clothes especially after losing 25 pounds... but if you really feel like you look bad in some clothes, why not just wear a larger size that fits well or a different style?

Yam-Yam 05-03-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Idk anymore,

I want to give you a big :hugs: and a huge amount of encouragement, OK??

For some of us, me included, the first drop in clothing size takes a while. I lost about 20 pounds before I went down a size. Then I started going down much more quickly. 7 more pounds and I went down another size. That's when I started Judding. I've lost about 9 more pounds and have gone down 2 more sizes.

I hope you are taking measurements in all of what I call your "nooks and crannies". When I was just measuring B-W-H I was not seeing a huge difference. But I started measuring under my armpits (that measures your back fat and your underarm extra bra fat). Wow!! That was my fastest place to lose inches!!

Also, the size 18 jeans I had bought were from Macy's and I loved the brand. So, when I went clothes shopping, I went right back to that same department and only tried on clothes in the same brand, Style & Co. That way I didn't have to worry about the sizing of a different brand because as everyone knows, sizes vary hugely from brand to brand.

Pick a brand and a store and stick with it for a while to be realistic about your progress.

And I agree w/ pps. There are some sweaters and shorts that make me look like a hippo. I steer clear of those.

My advice to you is to tweak your eating plan if you need to. But do not give up. It's already been said, but think how hard you worked to get rid of 25 pounds. How bad will you feel if you quit, gain it back and then decide you need to get it off.

Do you feel better in any way? Do you feel lighter on your feet? Is your belly any flatter or your waist smaller?? Focus on your success. If all you have to look at is the 25# loss, celebrate that!!! That is a tremendous accomplishment and you are not a failure!!!!!

Tina suggested maintenance for a while. That could be a good idea for a couple of weeks...

Honey, you are on the verge of a great breakthrough. Please don't throw it all away. :console::hugs:

arkie1 05-03-2012 08:08 AM

I know that I am a lot older than most of you on here, and for that reason, not as accepted for my views, BUT, I have spent a lifetime going from one diet to another, thinking they didn't work, or I got bored with them, or any number of reasons to try the latest one I'd read about. Please, you will thank yourself that when you were younger (now), that you found a WOE that allowed you to lose the pounds (and inches), get your insides healthy, and really only diet every-other-day!

I'm still wearing most of my old clothes, also, even though I've lost 20 pounds. But, even though I haven't had to rush out and buy different sizes, I have found that some of my older clothes in smaller sizes are now wearable, along with my clothes I had to get when I gained the 20 pounds. But, like Tina said, I'm probably losing the "inside" fat around my organs, and that is very important at this point! Don't give up, please!

Carole

Yam-Yam 05-03-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykidsteacher (Post 15628846)

Great post!!!:goodpost: I never thought it was possible to lose the visceral fat first. I always thought the subcutaneous fat started to go first. But your explanation makes sooooo much sense!!! So, at 25 pounds gone, there is a breakthrough and a shrinkage coming soon! Get ready for smaller sizes. You will be glad you didn't jump ship.

hippiegirl 05-03-2012 08:11 AM

I do wonder if going into maintenance mode might not be a good idea. I know that when I lost a significant amount of weight before (on low carb), I did it in conscious fits and starts. I'd diet like mad for a bit, and then allow myself to take a break for a few weeks, making sure I didn't bounce up more than five pounds throughout that time. Then I'd go into another weight loss cycle. It was very good for me mentally.

Hazelsmrf mentioned a diet recently that was the impetus for my doing it this way - the Rapid Weight Loss Diet by Lyle McDonald. I don't think I could do that diet again, but a lot of his ideas are solid. He advocates free meals (which are pretty much already incorporated in JUDDD) and diet breaks to avoid diet fatigue, mentally and physically.

I know that JUDDD is only dieting half the time, and is supposed to avoid diet fatigue, but I can definitely see how it could still happen.

Also, for me, as a binger, a huge key in weight loss when I did it previously was learning to be gentle to myself. I'd spent so many years beating myself up, not even always consciously, that it took a concerted effort to learn to "forgive" myself when I went astray, which allowed me to stay in the right mindset to continue losing weight rather than throwing in the towel. I think if I hadn't had the bout of severe depression that I did a few years ago, that I would have been able to continue on to goal and maintenance - it felt that good while I was in the process.

*hugs* This is hard. It really is. But be gentle with yourself and keep the long term in mind as well as you can.

krow134 05-03-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey_gal (Post 15628140)
Give up and do what??? Go back to being 190 lbs? try a different weight loss plan?

Do whatever is right for you...but make a choice with a plan, don't just give up! Your MORE than half way there already :)

It took me one year to lose my 25 lbs, you've done it in a couple of months. I just kept thinking slow loss is still a loss. It's better than nothing and MUCH better than gaining. You have improved your health. You have lost weight. You have accomplished.

Good post!!!

I wanted to add too. You didnt gain it all over night! So you cant lose it over night either!! Its all a slow process, but look at the prize in the end!! Its worth the wait! I know its frustrating to do so good and not feel that your rewarded for it. But you are being rewarded, you just dont see it yet. You will wake up one day with your pants falling off your rear and think OMG I did it! And on that day come back and we will sing the pants on the ground song for you!!!! I will lead, I promise!!!!!