Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
New to JUDDD not to LC....still have questions

I've been lurking on JUDDD for a few weeks and I'm in my second week of trying the plan. So far I've done OK with the DD mainly because for the past two years I've done some variation of MediWeightloss (it is also here on LCF). On that plan you stick to about 500 calories of low carb, low fat food supplimented with appetite suppressants, and fat burners. You check in once a week at a center all for a pretty hefty chunk of change ($$$$). Both DH and I did really well while we could afford to go to the clinic and get the suppliments, but due to finances we had to quit the clinic, and continue on our own.

I continued to lose (all though VERY slowly) and I got down to 144 right before going on a Thanksgiving cruise.....it was already paid for. I ended up gaining back 20 pounds, and have not been successful getting all of it back off.

I am 60 yrs old. I work out at the gym 3 - 4 times a week, doing both aerobics and weights. I'd like to get back into running (that I started at 58 yr old) but with this extra weight my stamina isn't what it needs to be to do a 5K.

For my UP it says I can have 2117 calories, and my DD I'm keeping at 500. I'm trying to stay pretty low carb on the UP. Yesterday I got CLOSE to 1900 calories by eating more carbs....FRESH veggies and fruit.

Now today I'm STARVING.....why?? I wasn't hungry like this on other DDs, and even this morning I wasn't hungry so only had coffee (with 1/2 & 1/2) but by noon I was ready to lick the paint off the wall! I had a protein shake (syntrax...0 carbs, 100 calories), and felt full for about 2hrs, then my stomach started to growl, so I scrambled up the equiv. of 1 egg using eggbeaters. That worked for less than an hour. I had 2 turkey brats for dinner (160 calories) and as soon as I finished my stomach started growling and has not stopped.

What the heck is going on?

Mary T8M (Tatem)

New member of the 80 pounds gone club

Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you're right!
Henry Ford
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Hi Mary

Good luck with JUDDD - and well done for having been successful already at losing weight!

Some thoughts...

I understand that you're saying you exercise quite a lot - but many of us don't include any exercise in our calculations for weight loss. If you weigh 144 (or 164 - if you haven't updated your stats) - that makes you between 60 and 80 lbs less than me and my cals on an UD are 2100 and DD 420. Admittedly I don't exercise regularly - but I don't eat back any of my cals. Sounds like you are struggling to hit that number anyway - so perhaps go back and recalculate - without exercise. It may be more manageable for you and then if you go over occasionally - you'll be good, because your exercise will take care of those numbers.

As to why you are ravenous today.... There are some DD when I could eat 50 cals - and then there are the majority where I manage to stay within my 500 with a small amount of discomfort - and there are other days when all I want to do is eat (fortunately not too many). On those days - I find that I graze throughout the day (on low cal items) and then if I'm still hungry in the evening - I accept that I may go over my numbers by 1-200 cals - it's okay - it's not every day, or even every week.

It could also be the re-addition of carbs back into your diet. I know that fruit is generally a no-no for me - I can manage some strawberries on a DD and maybe a little fruit on an UD - but not a lot. It would make me ravenous!!!!

Maybe others will have some good ideas!!

Good luck with today - remember tomorrow is an UD!!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I agree it might be the sugar in the fruit. Veggies don't typically bother me at all, and I eat a lot of them. I also eat carbs in the form of nuts/nut butters/nut flours. And they don't bother me either.

But sugar and sweeter fruits awaken a ravenous beast. Try to skip the fruit your next dd, or make it a low glycemic fruit like berries, and see if that helps. Artificial sweeteners will have the same effect on me.

We all have our trigger foods, and part of the wonder of JUDDD is that we become more in tune with our bodies and can actually start to identify what those are.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
Hi Mary

Good luck with JUDDD - and well done for having been successful already at losing weight!

Some thoughts...

I understand that you're saying you exercise quite a lot - but many of us don't include any exercise in our calculations for weight loss. If you weigh 144 (or 164 - if you haven't updated your stats) - that makes you between 60 and 80 lbs less than me and my cals on an UD are 2100 and DD 420. Admittedly I don't exercise regularly - but I don't eat back any of my cals. Sounds like you are struggling to hit that number anyway - so perhaps go back and recalculate - without exercise. It may be more manageable for you and then if you go over occasionally - you'll be good, because your exercise will take care of those numbers.

As to why you are ravenous today.... There are some DD when I could eat 50 cals - and then there are the majority where I manage to stay within my 500 with a small amount of discomfort - and there are other days when all I want to do is eat (fortunately not too many). On those days - I find that I graze throughout the day (on low cal items) and then if I'm still hungry in the evening - I accept that I may go over my numbers by 1-200 cals - it's okay - it's not every day, or even every week.

It could also be the re-addition of carbs back into your diet. I know that fruit is generally a no-no for me - I can manage some strawberries on a DD and maybe a little fruit on an UD - but not a lot. It would make me ravenous!!!!

Maybe others will have some good ideas!!

Good luck with today - remember tomorrow is an UD!!
Thanks for the encouragement. I have not weighed myself since starting JUDDD. My weight was 159 (I didn't change my stats) so that's where I got the numbers. I had lost the 5 pounds doing Mediweightloss minus the supplements, since I had regained.

I have not weighed since starting JUDDD (I'm in my second week) and I thought I had read that 500 calories was OK on DDs in the first 2 weeks. On DD I am doing protein shakes and lean meat....NO FRUIT on DD. I did have fresh veggies, and about 1 cup of fresh melon but that was yesterday on an UD.

I'll avoid any more fruit tomorrow (UD).....I'll probably go ahead and weigh myself in the morning. My DH thinks maybe my hunger means I've had a "woosh" hope, hope, hope

Thanks again
Old 05-02-2012, 11:39 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
500 cals is fine!! Some people need a bit more than that - and others do well on less.
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lylydvd
when we reintroduce carbs to our diet...it's normal to feel hungrier and even starving because of insulin spike...this happened to me when i added fruits and legumes to my menu ..at that time i could eat 2500 calories and still feel not satisfied ..
lylydvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi Mary and to JUDDD.

I wanted to know if on your former woe, was that a 500 calorie day EVERY day? Or alternating days like on JUDDD? Just curious. If it was every day only 500 calories, maybe your body is so eager to get in more food now that it's available on UDs, that it caused the increased appetite?

Like was already mentioned, you may wish to recheck your numbers for UD, and for some, the fruit may be setting off more appetite the way other carbs do. Let us know how it's going, my new JUDDD bud!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Hi Mary and to JUDDD.

I wanted to know if on your former woe, was that a 500 calorie day EVERY day? Or alternating days like on JUDDD? Just curious. If it was every day only 500 calories, maybe your body is so eager to get in more food now that it's available on UDs, that it caused the increased appetite?

Like was already mentioned, you may wish to recheck your numbers for UD, and for some, the fruit may be setting off more appetite the way other carbs do. Let us know how it's going, my new JUDDD bud!
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yeah it was 500 (protein) calories everyday. So what you're saying makes sense.

Today was an UD for me, and as hungry as I was yesterday (on a DD), I found I was that NOT hungry today! Last night I went to bed with a slight stomach ache, and growling (stomach) because I was hungry. Then today I ate breakfast (1 eggbeaters, plus 1 whole egg scrambled, 2 oz of sausage, in a low carb tortilla) and I wasn't at all hungry until dinner tonight! I did eat some popcorn at a movie. Tonight I'm still feeling REALLY full. Dinner was a grilled hamburger w cheese, sauted okra and mushrooms.???????