Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: RenoMom
Stats: 300/294/199
WOE: JUDDD started 300
Start Date: 4/29/13
Can "I" lose weight on JUDDD

I'm wonering if its a plan for me.

A little history. I am Hypothyroid, and have a hard time losing and keeping off weight.

Currently I am eating low carb and this is what it looks like 30-35 carbs a day aprox 1500-1600 cals most days sometimes a bit lower.

So here is how I have lost/gained.

week one lost 2.5lbs WI is on Friday.....Onto week2.....Saturday, lost 1lb, Monday gained 6, Tuesday lost 1lb, Wednesday lost 4 lbs, and so on so on day 5 I am still up a pound or two, I lost count. Anyhow I bounce all over the place and am eating on plan. This is the norm for me, lose 2 gain 4 and so on.

In you opinion, for thos that are having sucess on JUDDD do you think I can lose on this plan.

Any thoughts or ideas, I really am at a loss.

Also can someone calulate my calories. I weigh 284 as of today.

" Give God what's right, not what's left"
RenoMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Hi Arlene!

We also need your height and age to calculate calories. Or you can do it from the Johnson Up Day Down Day Diet site (google it) yourself. Scroll down to the calculator, and make sure to check inches instead of centimeters, and pounds instead of kilograms. We also recommend that for weight loss mode, that you set your exercise to little to none.

And yes, I do think you can lose on this plan. Probably more and faster than you thought possible. We also have some members who have thyroid issues, they'll be along to share their experiences soon.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.

Last edited by Luna Loca; 05-02-2012 at 02:55 PM..
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you, What does it mean when it says 20% weight loss mode?

It says 2399 UP and 480 DD, do I have to eat all the way up to 2399, right now I think the highest I usually get is 1600 and 1800 if I eat a lot. Of course this is mostly derived from meat and veggies.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:03 PM   #4

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
Hi Arlene!

Luna's right that we need all your stats to calculate. Just based on your history, I have faith that you can lose with JUDDD. I lost 35 pounds with JUDDD (45 total with Atkins and JUDDD) when I was diagnosed hypo in March. I feel like, if I could lose that well, being hypo and not medicated, it should be doable for someone who's already aware of and treating their condition. I hope you do give it a shot. This is really a wonderful WOE!

KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoMom View Post
Thank you, What does it mean when it says 20% weight loss mode?

It says 2399 UP and 480 DD, do I have to eat all the way up to 2399, right now I think the highest I usually get is 1600 and 1800 if I eat a lot. Of course this is mostly derived from meat and veggies.
There are varying levels of weight loss calories you can use. The UD stays the same no matter what percentage you choose for DDs. Most of us start at 20% or around 500 calories if you can't do the 20% number and see how it goes from there. We also mostly choose the option for little or no exercise, even if we exercise, as it seems the calculator is pretty generous with exercise calories.

Yes, you need to eat up to your UD calories, at least to figure out if they're set correctly for you. If you don't eat enough on your UDs, it's counterproductive. We want to heal our metabolisms and get them burning as hot as we can get them. We also want to turn off the stress response on our UDs so that our bodies know it's okay to let go of the weight. If we don't eat enough, the theory is that our bodies will want to hold onto the weight (think the dreaded starvation mode here).

If you plan on adding carbs back, it's pretty easy to hit those higher UD numbers. If you want to stay low carb, you can add extra nuts, avocado, fats, etc. which are pretty calorie dense.

HTH.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
Old 05-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #6

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
The percentage refers to the percentage of your up day calories you consume on a down day. 480 is 20% of your up day calories, 2399. This is the setting for the fastest weight loss for most people. You can go to 25%, or 30%, all the way up to 50 or 60 percent which is maintenance. Most people trying to lose stick to the 20%, or just do 500 calorie down days.

Here's a thread for you to read and should answer most of your questions: WHAT IS JUDDD? COME INSIDE AND SEE!!
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Yes that helps alot....
So I will give it a shot, what do I have to lose, but weight, LOL.

Today so far has been a medium day, had a salad with turkey and some strawberries so far. I wont be able to make it a DD since Im over Im sure, or an up day because its too late in the day. Should I start with an UD or a DD tomorrow?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #8

UD tomorrow so you'll be well fueled for your DD the following day. It's pretty hard to do a DD after a MD.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #9
Big Yapper!!!!

Thank you
Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
start with whichever makes you happy, just arrange it so you can strictly stick to the UD/DD rotation with no deviation for at least the first two weeks.
You have way more to lose than weight. Intermittent fasting is great for killing inflammation, helping you lose inches even when the scale isn't moving, protecting what muscle you have (as long as you keep your up days UP to avoid starvation), you will get the crazy euphoria you may have noticed in the juddders here, and you will get some control over your own eating/food issues since nothing is forbidden as long as it works with your health issues. You can stick with lowcarb, find your natural healthy carb level, or try going whole hog as some do. Since intermittent fasting isn't a "diet" in the traditional sense, you can use it with whichever food plan works best for your health. Enjoy!
Old 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for all of the insight, one last question. Are you limited to what you can eat on your DD. Can you eat anything as long as it is under 500 cals? Like a fruit smoothie in the morning and then maybe a small piece of chicken at dinner? What about 100cal popcorn packs etc.. any ideas?

Never mind I just found my answer

Last edited by RenoMom; 05-02-2012 at 03:37 PM..
Old 05-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
You can eat whatever you want on your DD as long as you are within your calories. Some people do better with protein to help keep them fuller longer. I find that the later I eat, the better I do. If I eat in the morning, I am more likely to go over my calories so I usually don't eat anything until 7:30 or 8:00 PM. Some people find that it is easier to fast all day. Within a few days you will find what works for you!
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
It is all about calories. Nothing is forbidden.
I do my DD's two different ways.
# 1 I eat three small meals
Example
b - one egg, coffee with HWC (135)
l - soup (160)
d - tilapia, spinach (180)
or B - coffee with HWC (120)
L - water
D - water
I really prefer the fasting DD but everyone is different.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: No white food

and good luck!

If you are coming from Low Carb your up days may be kinda difficult at first but soon you'll learn what foods give you the most bang for the bucks.

Relax, and enjoy.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Here you go, 2 threads I feel are a MUST read and aboard!!

IT'S SO SIMPLE....REALLY!!

YOU GOTTA EAT!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
RenoMom!!! Best of luck to you!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Welcome to you! Yes, I believe you can lose weight on this plan. I think you're going to do great!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks for all the encouragment, you guys are awesome!
I am excited to start my 1st UP tomorrow, dh will make me 2 eggs and 3 bacon in the morning. Lunch is l/o fajitas and black beans, dinner will be meatballs, and sauted cabbage. Now I need to go figure the calories in all of this

Off to read the new threads you all posted here, Thanks again
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January Ė March ate LC/LC
Quote:
I'm wonering if its a plan for me.

A little history. I am Hypothyroid, and have a hard time losing and keeping off weight.

Currently I am eating low carb and this is what it looks like 30-35 carbs a day aprox 1500-1600 cals most days sometimes a bit lower...
Hi RenoMom,

I read your post and thought to myself, this person sounds just like I did when I first came here just weeks ago. I am also hypothyroid (on Levoxyl) and my weight-loss success while doing low calorie/low-ish carb was, well, not inspiring. I was honestly not optimistic that JUDDD could work for me. I was so excited though to read about gals here who are also hypothyroid and have been doing great on JUDDD. Still I felt apprehension, wondering if JUDDD could be right for me.

On April 1st I started with a DD since I had company planned for the following day. Anyway, it was just 20 days later, on April 20th, I wrote another thread which described my amazement and telling of my apprehensions before starting. I felt like I was in the same boat as you describe, here's what I said then:

"I came here the last week of March, just before starting JUDD, a bit skeptical. I wrote and asked how many here had a ďbrokenĒ metabolism. Do you remember I was concerned that this woe could cause a ďquick 10-pound gainĒ?

I was afraid to try JUDD because I didnít trust my body. I was paranoid about everything I ate, wondering what the problem was. I had been true to a low-calorie, lowish-carb eating plan for 13 weeks. With a tremendous amount to lose (over 100 lbs) I should have been losing 2-3 pounds a week. My average was just barely over 1 pound a week for a total loss of 14.8 pounds over 13 weeks.

So, on April 1st, I started JUDD, honestly hoping I would not gain weight, just desperate to try to get my metabolism to do something more. I didnít see how it could work, especially since I would average the SAME calorie count. Over those three months on LCal/LCarb I was eating 1500 calories a day. My JUDD numbers are 500/2500 which has me at 3,000 calories for 2 days. I thought if THAT works, then certainly it is MAGIC.

That was TWENTY DAYS ago, and today I am TEN POUNDS lighter than when I started JUDD on April 1st

All I can say (besides YIPPEE) is YOU TOLD ME SO!"

------------------

Iím still losing -- and remarkably well! Currently Iíve lost over 17 pounds since April 1. I am eating the same number of calories I was eating on low cal/low-ish carb. I am simply doing the JUDDD rotations. There are no food restrictions, Iíve eaten everything including chocolate and popcorn, but remained very close to my JUDDD numbers.

So, an emphatic YES! JUDDD can work for those who are hypothyroid.

I hope that you will give it a try and that your losses are fast and miraculous!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #20
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWeigh View Post
Hi RenoMom,

I read your post and thought to myself, this person sounds just like I did when I first came here just weeks ago. I am also hypothyroid (on Levoxyl) and my weight-loss success while doing low calorie/low-ish carb was, well, not inspiring. I was honestly not optimistic that JUDDD could work for me. I was so excited though to read about gals here who are also hypothyroid and have been doing great on JUDDD. Still I felt apprehension, wondering if JUDDD could be right for me.

On April 1st I started with a DD since I had company planned for the following day. Anyway, it was just 20 days later, on April 20th, I wrote another thread which described my amazement and telling of my apprehensions before starting. I felt like I was in the same boat as you describe, here's what I said then:

"I came here the last week of March, just before starting JUDD, a bit skeptical. I wrote and asked how many here had a ďbrokenĒ metabolism. Do you remember I was concerned that this woe could cause a ďquick 10-pound gainĒ?

I was afraid to try JUDD because I didnít trust my body. I was paranoid about everything I ate, wondering what the problem was. I had been true to a low-calorie, lowish-carb eating plan for 13 weeks. With a tremendous amount to lose (over 100 lbs) I should have been losing 2-3 pounds a week. My average was just barely over 1 pound a week for a total loss of 14.8 pounds over 13 weeks.

So, on April 1st, I started JUDD, honestly hoping I would not gain weight, just desperate to try to get my metabolism to do something more. I didnít see how it could work, especially since I would average the SAME calorie count. Over those three months on LCal/LCarb I was eating 1500 calories a day. My JUDD numbers are 500/2500 which has me at 3,000 calories for 2 days. I thought if THAT works, then certainly it is MAGIC.

That was TWENTY DAYS ago, and today I am TEN POUNDS lighter than when I started JUDD on April 1st

All I can say (besides YIPPEE) is YOU TOLD ME SO!"

------------------

Iím still losing -- and remarkably well! Currently Iíve lost over 17 pounds since April 1. I am eating the same number of calories I was eating on low cal/low-ish carb. I am simply doing the JUDDD rotations. There are no food restrictions, Iíve eaten everything including chocolate and popcorn, but remained very close to my JUDDD numbers.

So, an emphatic YES! JUDDD can work for those who are hypothyroid.

I hope that you will give it a try and that your losses are fast and miraculous!
OMG I love you!!! Thank you so much for posting. You give me hope. You have done amazing, and it looks like our stats are pretty close to. God I hope I can do as well as you I would be estatic. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Stats: 227/175/? 5'8"
Start Date: started JUDDD 3/22/2012
So glad to see you over here, Arlene!

I think you'll do very well!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Arlene

Enjoy your lovely UD!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
I'm sure you can do it.

I am impressed how so many hypo ladies are losing on JUDDD. I was hyper thyroid years ago and they put me on medication to dampen it down. For 18 months I was a four stone overweight zombie. Once they took me off the meds the weight flew off me. Does it not work that way with the medication when you are hypo?

My gran went hypo and within two weeks of the meds kicking in she got her old self back.

I'd say that if your dosage is not correcting your hypo well enough you'll have tough time losing at all. But if anything can do it it looks like JUDDD is the answer.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Arlene!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/150/145
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
Welcome, Arlene! I'm both hypo (well-medicated with Armour), and post-menopausal. I struggled to lose those last few pounds after doing low carb, then hCG, for years. This is has been the answer for me. I lost more weight than I anticipated and have been hanging below my goal weight for months. It's so liberating to choose what I want to eat and know that I'll be able to maintain well.

The DDs may be hard at first, but I promise, it gets much easier. I don't really care about food on my DDs, because I know I can always eat something yummy tomorrow.
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Hi Arlene!

I'm a horribly slow loser but did have some success with JUDDD when it first came out a few years ago. I fell off the wagon and you know the rest. You can absolutely do this!

I didn't read through the other posts, but I know you got great suggestions. I started JUDDD again in March and trying to keep it low carb (still am). I kept floating back and forth between the same 3-4 lbs. and it was suggested to me to check my UD calories and lo and behold, I wasn't eating enough. Now that I'm eating up to them, (sometimes having to sneak calories in), I'm finally beginning to lose.

Just find you a DD menu that works for you and eat what works best for you. For me, it's coffee and broth in the morning and I postpone eating until late in the afternoon. You can also start out a little higher with the calories on your DD and work your way down.

You'll know when the "magic" has kicked in when your DD's get easier (don't have to worry about food) and the UD's get harder (you have to find ways to up your calories - such an odd concept!). At least that's what's happened to me.

Give it a couple months, and read through all the links you were given and the old threads - they're very helpful and informative.

You can do it!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Renomom, your post brought tears to my eyes. I remember your first post. And here you are, just one short month later, being such an encouragement to a newbie with your tremendous success. Now THAT'S JUDDD magic!
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January Ė March ate LC/LC
Quote:
OMG I love you!!! Thank you so much for posting. You give me hope. You have done amazing, and it looks like our stats are pretty close to. God I hope I can do as well as you I would be estatic. I'm really looking forward to it.
I hope that your success will be even more amazing!

It was coincidental that I mentioned popcorn, I see you asked about it while I was writing my first response to your original post. It's true, I ate all sorts of things during my first month on JUDDD: popcorn (twice), a Reeses Easter Egg, cheeseburgers a couple times, Chinese food, etc. Who wouldn't want some of that after depriving? However, every meal, every snack was counted to the very best of my ability. No BS, just the numbers. I did not try to guesstimate the calorie counts and did not wait until the next day, or even that night to do them. At home, I actually weigh my food with a digital postage scale. I use ****** to track the calories. It's harder to calculate restaurant foods but it is crucial to be realistic. Itís not that hard to do, and every time I get onto the scale I thank myself for taking the time -- so, itís easy to do, just a tiny bit time consuming.

Something about the "treats". I'm not sure if it's coincidence, or if it just makes sense. On the couple of times when I've spent most of my UD calories eating mostly junk (which I did enjoy) the following DD was more difficult Ė I felt much more hungry. Coincidence? I donít know.

There is one other thing that has been transformational for me, making me much less of a slave to eating. I cannot stress enough how much easier it has been to eat well because of it. I spent a lot of years eating lots of sugar. Chocolate was my favorite Go-To food, I HAD to have some everyday. Not having it could really darken my mood! I thought it was just a girl thing, wanting chocolate. Also, I drank non-stop Diet Cokes. I could quit eating anything, I could drive my calories down to next to nothing, but I never would give up my Diet Coke. Eventually I got suspicious that drinking it wasnít coming without a cost. I felt that it was fueling my hunger. So, last December I quit. I just wanted off that stuff, I was drinking it all the time, I didnít even bother with water on most days. Quitting actually made me physically sick. I was so scared from my "withdrawl" that I knew I was never going to drink it again. What I didn't expect was what happened next. In a few days I started to feel better AND my cravings for sweets and especially chocolate was gone. This was amazing as I was a serious sugar addict. I sort of passed it off as coincidental at that time, however itís been months now and I still feel no need for the sugar or chocolate. To be free from those raging cravings has been wonderful and surprising. It was the ending of those cravings that sort of propelled me into the low calorie/low carb diet I did for three months before starting JUDDD. Iím sure that diet, and the lack of diet pop was great for my health although I didnít lose very much weight. Now, on JUDDD, I can enjoy sweets from time to time, but I don't HAVE to have them anymore and THAT is huge. Anyway, this may not apply to you, but just in case I wanted to tell you my story.

Jump on into JUDDD and give it a try! Itís the best, easiest way of eating while losing weight ever!

I wish you the best success and all the JUDDD magic possible.
NoWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 59 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Arlene!
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:48 PM   #30
Big Yapper!!!!

NoWeigh, Thank you for your stories... They do help. I do like chocolate, but I noticed if i eat much I get headaches, and I still cant seem to make myself stop eating them.
I did stop my diet 7up for awhile, I still have one on occasion but mostly water now.
I am trying to keep it mostly healthy but just knowing that I can have the mexican or chinese dinner on occasion and not derail is a life saver. I just need to plan. Today went well I think I got pretty close with my calories and tomorrows DD I already have planned out with my morning coffee, a fruit/greek smoothie and some steamed veggies for dinner. Now Saturday Ill be ready to enjoy a big ole steak