Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Damazon
Stats: 234/220/190
WOE: JUDDD Primal
Start Date: April 2012
Reintroducing Trigger Foods

Hi all, just a few days in here and already dreaming of peanut butter and full fat greek yoghurt.

Do any of you have any advice around re introducing 'forbidden foods'. I would love to have them again but worry about tailspinning off into weights unknown.

Perhaps they are best avoided all together?

Thanks!

D
Damazon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I do not have any wisdom on this one, but I want to you to JUDDD and these boards.

Some here have introduced carbs slowly, I'm sure they'll be along soon to post their experiences.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
I think it varies from person to person, depending on the nature of the trigger food.

I've reintroduced quite a few binge-trigger foods and have been ok, however soy sends me spiraling out of control and I am never going to knowingly or willingly eat it again!

My suggestion is to take it slow once you decide to reintroduce a food, so you can see just how it affects you. That is, don't reintroduce more than one thing at a time.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damazon View Post
Hi all, just a few days in here and already dreaming of peanut butter and full fat greek yoghurt.

Do any of you have any advice around re introducing 'forbidden foods'. I would love to have them again but worry about tailspinning off into weights unknown.

Perhaps they are best avoided all together?

Thanks!

D
No answer but after reading your post I HAD peanut butter ( love the stuff too ) took only 1 teaspoon full.
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Here's the thing with me, maybe it'll be the same for you, too?

When I low carbed, I would dream and obsess over stuff like cake, ice cream, potato chips, candy (not so much chocolate because I'd treat myself now and then to some dark chocolate), pastries, etc. In other words, stuff that has little to no redeeming nutrition. But they taste good! I could hold off for quite a while but inevitably got tired of the energy I was expending trying to make myself think I didn't want them or didn't really like the way they taste. In other words, I spent a lot of time lying to myself. Eventually I'd have something "forbidden", and yes, it DID taste wonderful. But that would then throw me out of ketosis and I'd say "Go for it, because you've ruined it anyway", and I'd eat a *LOT more than I really had wanted and I'd then start on other stuff that was off-limits. Might as well, right? I'd blown it! And I'd be depressed because of my "lack of control" and then I'd beat myself up because I'd "failed".

With JUDDD, since NOTHING is forbidden, for me, the allure and obsession is completely absent. If I want something, I work it into my calorie allotment, enjoy it and have NO GUILT.

And I find myself not thinking nearly as much about eating junk stuff now that I know I can have it whenever I want (or at least the next day). Win! TOTAL WIN!!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Your situation will be unique to you. I avoid things that will hurt me, but everyone has her own issues. IF is very freeing because there is always a tomorrow. I mix up pb2 and nonfat organic Greek yogurt on a regular basis to satisfy those urges on down days with no troubles at all.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
The responses will be as varied as the people on this board.

Many just started eating whatever right away with no issues except a water bounce on the scale. Some found previous trigger foods still were, and caused them to eat and eat.

If that is the case with you, I'd suggest avoiding the triggers for the first 2 weeks. Get some sirt enzymes circulating, a bit of hunger suppression going, and some good solid DD's under your belt. Then introduce a little at a time.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks so much to everyone who has taken the time to respond, it all is helpful! I think that waiting a few weeks to settle in is a good idea, as is keeping an eye on the things that make me 'eat and eat'. So, PB stays on the 'not a good idea' list for now. Thanks again!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I waited two weeks then started with a small portion of one trigger food at a time. If I felt what I thought was a trigger-response, I waited two more weeks before I tried that food again. If I did not feel a reaction, I introduced that food gradually (just in case). It took time, but as the sirtuin enzymes accumulated and did their magic, I able to reintroduce everything...and can now eat them with triggering anything but, 'That was tasty'.

Others successfully dived right in.

This is another one of those opportunities for you to learn more about YOU!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:08 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
If I know it's a trigger food but I really want it, I make sure I have just 1-2 servings in the house. That way, even if I'm tempted, I can't have more.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avicenna
Stats: 215/190's/somewhere in the 170's
WOE: 30 day whole food challenge
Start Date: July 2011 (JUDDD in February 2012)
I think that might depend on what kind of trigger it is - whether you would feel triggered to eat too much of that food (for instance, to eat the entire jar of peanut butter), or to go into a tail-spin completely and go on a general eating rampage. It seems that for some people here, eating certain foods triggers weeks or months of eating.

If it's the latter, it might not be a good idea to reintroduce the foods. If it's just the thought that you might overeat too much of that food on that day, you might try purchasing a single-serving package of the food and see how it goes. And, even if you do end up eating the entire carton of yogurt or jar of peanut butter, as long as you're committed to following the DD rotation, the next DD should break the eating cycle, and, well, lesson learned. Yogurt and peanut butter at least seem like nutrient-rich foods so it could be much worse.

(PS I can't sympathize with a peanut butter craving since I'm horribly allergic to peanut butter, but there are plenty of other foods which I enjoy too much and often avoid, although since starting JUDDD I've been eating them in reasonable quantities)
Avicenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Better With Age
Stats: 169/158.9/145
Start Date: March 21, 2012
What has been freeing for me is getting rid of the idea of forbidden foods. There are no forbidden foods. I can eat whatever I want. Today at work someone brought donuts. Now it is a DD, but I could have 2 donuts and stay in my calories for the day. That would not be a wise use of my calories and later this evening I would be hating life. So I tell myself that I will make wise choices and eat things that fill me up rather than bring momentary pleasure. I am planning to have a dessert on Saturday for my UD but I will decide what and how much. I have chocolate almost everyday, but there is serious portion control.

Melissa
Better With Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

So much good feedback here, thanks again.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
I ate whatever I wanted for 4 days before starting JUDDD. Judd has not disappointed me yet. you will have some water weight bounces....
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote