Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sugarfreemarie
Explainations and questions..starting today!

Hi all,

I decided to start today because it was so easy. I just made today my UD. What is JUDDD magic? And also, of you JUDDDers, do you guys see faster weight loss LCing too? Just wondering? I also had a question about working out. Does it matter which day you work out? Also if I read correctly, for the first two weeks I should stick to Atkins shakes, bars, etc. to make it easy to hit my DD. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!
sugarfreemarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
You do not have to do shakes on your DD. Dr. J only suggests it for people who have a hard time counting calories because the calories are there on the shake for you and it's already prepared.

Most of us prefer to eat and chew food. You do need to stick to those DD calories. That's where the magic begins.

JUDD magic refers to activation of the SIRT1 gene. This is a gene that has been proven through research and science to become activated during times of fasting or extreme calorie restriction. Once activated, the gene begins to cause production of a protein like enzyme that almost acts as a hormone and does many things.

One effect of sirtuin enzymes is to burn and flush out stored body fat (it flushes out through the kidneys as the body detoxes because of SIRT1). Another function is to prevent extra calories from being stored in fat cells. Thus, when you re-feed on your UD, any extra calories will also be flushed away.

It's estimated that it takes about 9 DD rotations (roughly 18 days of doing JUDD) for the sirtuin enzyme/proteins to become built up to maximum effectiveness in the body. Some individuals see it happening sooner.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Need to add: Doing 2 down days in a row is not recommended. Another part of making the magic of sirtuins happen is that eating all of your UD calories after a DD stops the magic stress response of SIRT1 which, if left unchecked, would otherwise result in the slowing down of metabolism.

Instead, when we re-feed on the UD, a fire it lit and the metabolism begins to speed up causing our bodies to become fat burning machines.

This is why many JUDDers, me included, experienced an amazing loss of inches and clothing size went down rapidly. In some people the fat melts so fast that it takes the scale a while to catch up and show the loss.

Be sure and take your measurements! Watch those inches shrink. and, measure in more than just the 3 usual places. The place I lost the most inches in the beginning was my armpit fat. (not sure what else to call it!) I wrap the tape measure around all the way just under my armpits.

I had a lot of extra "bra fat" there on either side and some back fat, too. What a difference it has made to see that shrink away!!!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/174.8/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: August 2014
I just want to say that I am not low carbing while doing JUDDD but was doing Atkins for almost 3 months before switching to JUDDD. In the Atkins 3 months I lost 10 pounds, in the 5 weeks I've been doing JUDDD I've lost 14 pounds...and feel great!!! On Atkins I was horribly grumpy all the time, my mood is much much better doing JUDDD. I have tons of energy and DDs are totally managable and easy to get through now, though they were not easy in the beginning.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for all that guys! I kept seeing JUDDD magic everywhere. I think for me, and knowing me, I need to do shakes and stuff to just know my calorie count. Do you think it's ok to not count calories on the UD? I dont necessarily OVER or UNDER eat anyway. I just don't want to be obsessed with calorie counting. It's never lasted for me. I am willing to calorie count [I]some[I] of the time.

yes, I am going to work out 6 days a week to help speed things up! And Becky, low carbing made me depressed and grumpy. I tried to ignore it and keep humming along but I couldn't do it.

I'm going to buy the book today
Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
It's tempting to not count calories on UDs, but most would say do count them. If we knew how to eat "normal, moderate amounts of food" we wouldn't be on a weight loss forum! It's too easy to over- or under-eat. JUDDD works best if we respect those numbers on both the up and the down days. In order to respect them, we HAVE to know how much we're eating.

Every WOE has you count something--low carb had you counting carbs, well, this WOE has you counting calories. That's just how it is. We want you to be successful.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Okay, Luna Loca. I downloaded fat secret on my phone and it's actually not that tedious to track. Phew. LOL It is kind of nice to know my calories. My UD is 2170 or so and I am already at 600 thus far for breakfast.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/174.8/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarfreemarie View Post
Thank you for all that guys! I kept seeing JUDDD magic everywhere. I think for me, and knowing me, I need to do shakes and stuff to just know my calorie count. Do you think it's ok to not count calories on the UD? I dont necessarily OVER or UNDER eat anyway. I just don't want to be obsessed with calorie counting. It's never lasted for me. I am willing to calorie count [I]some[I] of the time.

yes, I am going to work out 6 days a week to help speed things up! And Becky, low carbing made me depressed and grumpy. I tried to ignore it and keep humming along but I couldn't do it.

I'm going to buy the book today
For me personally, if I didn't count calories on my UDs I would "guesstimate" myself into a much larger size pants, or at least hinder my loss to the point of quitting JUDDD. That is just me though. I have been journaling everything I eat for the past year and it would just be wierd for me to not write it down, the extra effort is well well worth it for me. I highly reccomend the book!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #9

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
It's tempting to not count calories on UDs, but most would say do count them. If we knew how to eat "normal, moderate amounts of food" we wouldn't be on a weight loss forum! It's too easy to over- or under-eat. JUDDD works best if we respect those numbers on both the up and the down days. In order to respect them, we HAVE to know how much we're eating.

Every WOE has you count something--low carb had you counting carbs, well, this WOE has you counting calories. That's just how it is. We want you to be successful.
I agree w/ Luna. You don't have to be obsessive about calorie counting on UDs. However, without realizing it, some people UNDER EAT on Uds because the appetite suppressant kicks in and they think they are probably eating enough because they are not hungry! Seriously! You will not lose as fast if you don't keep the metabolism burning hot.

There are so many easy on line calorie counters where you just enter in the food you are eating and it counts it for you.

I just keep a note book on my kitchen counter most days and jot things down as I'm going along through the day. Some days, I have to admit, I just keep a running total in my head because I eat a lot of my favorite foods over and over again and I already know their calorie count well.

Do what works for you. You could try not counting on UDs and see if you are losing like you want. If so, then it's working for you, you are not stressing and that's great. If, however, you don't count UD calories and you don't see any results after a couple of weeks you should count. Really, it's not that much of a hassle. Pretty simple, really.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
again Marie! Great answers already given, but I wanted to direct you to this thread as well for some of the JUDDDites' experiences with JUDDD magic: ~~* JUDDD MAGIC *~~ a survey.... And the thread called Non-Scale Victories- please list them has many more!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Yam and Sophie!
Its funny, well not funny, but something I have noticed. The people on the JUDDD boards are so happy and helpful. The people on the Atkins board and the main low carb lobby board seem more depressed, sad and/or like everyone is "starting over", etc. I am not knocking anyone or anything like that. it's just something Ive noticed. Do you think it the diet itself or just the atmosphere of the boards?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Its funny, well not funny, but something I have noticed. The people on the JUDDD boards are so happy and helpful. The people on the Atkins board and the main low carb lobby board seem more depressed, sad and/or like everyone is "starting over", etc. I am not knocking anyone or anything like that. it's just something Ive noticed. Do you think it the diet itself or just the atmosphere of the boards?
Good question. I was just talking to Sazzie (Gracie) yesterday about how maybe we should call the SIRT1 gene the "happy gene".

I've been doing a little extra research and reading (um, some know me best as the resident information junkie. But so is Sophiecat! So, I'm not alone!)

I found a great web site that is totally dedicated to research and science surrounding the SIR genes - SIR stands for Silent Information Regulators.

One of the new things I learned is that SIRT 1 & 2 which are stimulated by calorie restriction, trigger Leptin circulation. Lepton is a protein (hormone type) produced in adipose (fat) cells. It circulates in the blood and then finds it's way to receptors in the hypothalymus (spelling?) section of the brain.

If the receptors are functioning normally (some studies suggest that people with type 2 diabetes or insulin resistance also can become leptin resistant which is not good) -- they receive the leptin which registers a message of satisfaction and satiation.

Leptin tells the brain, "you have plenty of fat stores in your body in case a famine hits. You will not starve. You are healthy, happy, satisfied. Relax. You don't need to eat right now. You are just fine."

If we don't have enough Leptin being produced, or if a person is Leptin resistant, the brain is in panic mode. It says, " Hurry up!!! Find food right now!!! We don't have enough fat stores!! Eat or DIE!!! "

This is sort of a simplistic explanation. But I'm simple.

Anyway, if you read the JUDD MAGIC thread Sophiecat posted a link to, you will see many who report that peaceful, glowing, happy, satisfied feeling from JUDDing. The Leptin stimulation is part of it. But, so is the healing of cells and reformation of DNA. It's all fascinating. I could spend days just reading about all of this and rejoicing in the good thing I'm doing for my body by JUDDing.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Quote:
We're happier because we're not deprived!

No guilt for eating cookies or chips or pizza or Chinese or for indulging when going out to eat. Because...if you can't eat it today, you can eat it tomorrow! (Yes, I've eaten all of these things and have been able to lose.)

Sugar isn't forbidden, fat isn't forbidden. Even if you go over your calories, this WOE is very forgiving. No need to "reinduct" for two weeks, just jump right back in the next day. I find this part very refreshing as I'm a recovering binger, and suffer from migraines so I've had DD's where my calories need to be a bit higher so that I feel better.

Oh, and JUDDD Buddds ARE awesome! (I don't want that fact to be overlooked!)
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I too have noticed this board is more supportive and less critical.. not saying anything bad about the other woes.. but here.. i think its due to we are finally seeing results with really such a simple plan that include everything... just like the old addage "every thing in moderation" no need to ever be afraid of any one food group The people here are the by far the best part of JUDDD~
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #16

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Yes, Kimberley, we are lucky that so many of us enjoy success on JUDDD. I love my JUDDD BUDDDS.

Marie.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 264.6 (restart 260.2)/255/140
WOE: JUDDDD
Start Date: 6 May 2014
Think everyone's said it - so just a big Welcome from me!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote