Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stargazer
Stats: 190/166/147 5' 10"
WOE: Juddd/ Dukan
Start Date: March 2012
JUDDD and Eat Stop Eat

I've just read Eat Stop Eat, which is the other IF diet that seems popular. In it you fast two days a week but the fast only lasts 24 hours as opposed to the 36 hours of JUDDD.

But the fast is a true fast - no calories are taken for the 24 hours. Then you eat normally but do not overeat either. My day would be; eat normally until 7.00pm and then do not eat until 7.00pm the next day. Given that some of us try to keep most of the DD 500 calorie allowance until the evening meal anyway, this makes a very generous dinner. So a lot of us are really eating more ESE anyway.

So I'm wondering if this WOE would suit me better. I find it hard to do DDs at the weekend so I don't. Eat Stop Eat only asks you do 1 to 2 days of the fast so at three a week I would be ahead of the curve instead of breaking the rules of JUDDD every week.

I find it very hard to stick to the DD way of eating sometimes. Perhaps a total fast and then the prospect of a proper meal at the end of the day would be easier?

I've lost about 3 lbs since switching to JUDDD a month ago. Easter week was a break so that' s actually over three weeks. Not a huge drop and this morning I was up 4 lbs!! I'm wondering if, for some of us, the magic does not work unless we do a total fast instead of nibbling on a few calories during the day.

So I think I'll try this out and report back after a week.

Any thoughts from my JUDDD Bud experts?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Not sure, but i will be watching to see how it works for you.I am currently dropping at a much slower pace than i did in my first month so i think its time a lil tweeking my self.. My plan is to add about 100 caloires to my DD ( thats up from 120) all coffee,, i will eat real food mid after noon and see if my losses increase.. i wish you luck!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I was also thinking this might be a lot better for me. For some reason, I have a terrible time on the down days.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lynnjp
Stats: 273/179/150
WOE: Began JUDDD 3/18/12 UD1600 DD 490
Start Date: 4/28/2001
Hope it works for you if that is the plan you chose-I have epilepsy and there is no way I could possibly fast for 24 hours with out becoming ill. JUDDD works well because it allows me those small meals when I am beginning to feel shaky-I do lose much slower than most folks here do BUT I am losing and in the end that is all that counts for me. It is wonderful that there are so many options out there for us to chose from and when we find the right one it is really terrific!!

JUDDD 3/18/12 180 pounds 6/27 166 9/17 161

Link to my photos
http://community.webshots.com/user/lynnjc
lynnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #5
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
I have read about some people getting great results with Eat Stop Eat on a couple other nutrition/fitness websites I visit. I think both it and JUDDD are really sound programs!
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
The more I read about the benefits of IF and the many expressions of it I have concluded they are all good. I know several JUDDers do sort of a Fast-5 or MUDD or some variation.

Apparently the key to success is to know your own body and find out what works best for you.

I've been reading "The Warrior Diet" book on and off and just skipping around the different chapters. One thing I read there yesterday was that during the "fast" (his plan is much like Fast-5 where you fast during the day and then eat all your calories at an extended dinner time)... anyway...during the fast time in the day, take your vitamins. Also, eat small amounts of lean protein throughout the day. And, also eat raw vegetables and or fruits or sip on fresh veggie/fruit juice that you make yourself.

Most DDs I can go all day without eating and then just have a small dinner. But every now and then I have a hungry-hungry DD and I absolutely have to have some protein and veggies and maybe even go up to 35% of DD calories.

Do what makes your body and mind feel good. Do the IF plan that will keep you going for the long haul. Keep taking your measurements and don't count your success only by the numbers on your scale. Those are important of course, but try to find other ways to measure your success.

And, don't forget to feel mighty proud of yourself every single day!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SherBel
WOE: Atkins Induction-(esque)
Start Date: Feb 17, 2012
I've been doing Atkin's induction for some time now. I've been losing, but fairly slowly. Last week I did three days of not eating at all until dinner, and then having a dinner of about 400-500 calories. Very low carb, sometimes no carb. My energy levels were high on the days that I didn't eat, surprisingly high.

It's difficult for me to do any fasting on the weekends...my hubby hovers and thinks that I'm 'starving', (although I could live for months off my accumulated fat, lol!) so three days during the week is easier for me. I had a loss of 7 pounds last week, which is freakishly high and which I doubt I will repeat, but it was a really pleasant surprise. (I must have been just sloshing with water weight when I weighed last week.) I'm very motivated though, and can't wait to see what the scale reveals next Tuesday morning.

Yesterday I fasted until dinner, then had sauteed shrimp and a big salad. I've found that when I don't eat all day, supper is incredibly satisfying; I enjoy every bite, and I eat much less than I think I'll eat, I get full really fast.

A meatball never says, "look at me, aren't I clever?" A meatball just says, "eat me".

Nigel Slater - The Kitchen Diaries
SherBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks ladies. I dare say I'll be regretting this tomorrow at around 3.00pm (my hungry time).
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherBel View Post
I've been doing Atkin's induction for some time now. I've been losing, but fairly slowly. Last week I did three days of not eating at all until dinner, and then having a dinner of about 400-500 calories. Very low carb, sometimes no carb. My energy levels were high on the days that I didn't eat, surprisingly high.

It's difficult for me to do any fasting on the weekends...my hubby hovers and thinks that I'm 'starving', (although I could live for months off my accumulated fat, lol!) so three days during the week is easier for me. I had a loss of 7 pounds last week, which is freakishly high and which I doubt I will repeat, but it was a really pleasant surprise. (I must have been just sloshing with water weight when I weighed last week.) I'm very motivated though, and can't wait to see what the scale reveals next Tuesday morning.

Yesterday I fasted until dinner, then had sauteed shrimp and a big salad. I've found that when I don't eat all day, supper is incredibly satisfying; I enjoy every bite, and I eat much less than I think I'll eat, I get full really fast.
I used to do this when I did the Hcg Protocol. I lost very well, but that really doesn't count because I was on prescription meds that assisted with the losses.

I am sort of doing this method right now on JUDDD, but have not seen more loss than normal. I am slowly losing, but losing so I am happy. I think this would be easier for most of us because as long as you are not eating on DD, you do not fuel the hungries.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi SG Haven't read all the replies yet, but I know they are good and right on!

You can try your DDs differently (more calories or less/no calories) and see what you think. That's one of the great things about JUDDD - when something needs tweeked it's very rarely an actual food or food group that you must omit (an exception would be food allergy), but more about raising or lowering your calories.

I'm in maintenance and I do different kinds of IF besides JUDDD. I mix things up according to how I feel, what's going on, etc. Sometimes I do my variation of MUDDD for a while. It might be close to ESE. It may be a form of Fast5 or another type of Alternate day fasting, but I haven't looked into them individually enough to know which it's closest to. I come back to JUDDD every now and then, which is what I'm currently doing.

There are types of IF that use a 24 hour period. My variations involve eating up to my DD calories during the day, and then switching over to FD eating that evening. Now, I don't always use all my DD calories, but if I need them (extra hungry or have a lunch to go to, etc.) I know they are there. Then in the evening, I start what I call my FD part of the day, but others who are on a different type of IF might call it their meal of the day where they break the fast, or their eating window, or something else.

Sometimes I carry the FD on for the full next day. Other times I repeat the above dd/FD schedule for days in a row. I think my woe just blurs all the types of IF together, lol. I don't want to confuse you with what I do, but just to say that there are other options for the 36 hr. DD if it's not working out for you. I guess it wouldn't be called regular JUDDD, but as in all things, people are different and there is no one-size-fits all. And if what someone is doing works for them, it works.

And so, if someone wanted to experiment to make their DDs easier while in WLM, they could either do a 24 hour DD OR raise their DD calories and do the full 36 hours. It seems a spread of 1000 calories minimum between UD/DD is a good idea. So someone who was eating 2000 calorie UDs could do up to 1000 calorie DDs. Theoretically. I think the JUDDD magic might be slower to build up, and their weight loss might be slower than the other way. But.... if doing this gets you going on a woe, keeps you going on it, and results in better health while still shedding pounds, then that's a truly wonderful thing you can stick to for life!

And after a while your body may adjust anyway (lessened appetite) that you might not need so many DD calories as you did when you started, or you might be able to do a longer stretch of DD hours than 24 (if you want). That's been the experience of more than a few here.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: OhioGuy
Stats: 6'2'' 370 atkins to 355 then JUDDD
WOE: Good bye LC, Hello Juddd
Start Date: 3/5/2012 atkins intro JUDDD 3/29/12
i think for some, it takes a full month for things to get into the swing.
also, i think everyone has to play with the numbers.
there are a few of us that do better with higher DD
some do better with lower dd.
I eat at the higher % level of DD and started losing a lot more!
but some require to cut them down lower.

have to find "your grove" =)
OhioGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I am beginning to think some IF/calorie restriction combination encompassing the various IF protocols might be very effective for some people who can fast without endangering their health.

And, of course, because of life style or metabolism issues, others lose best on a single format.

It is, I also think, very very important to break the caloric restriction/fast completely before the metabolism slows too far down.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks.

So far so good on just black coffee.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Thanks ladies. I dare say I'll be regretting this tomorrow at around 3.00pm (my hungry time).
i didn't read all the replies, but if 3pm is your hunger time, why can't your 24hrs be 3pm-3pm?
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Thanks dazygirl. That makes sense.

I was ok until 5.00 and then I just had to eat. The problem I have is that once I get that true hunger I have to eat a lot to stop the feeling. I ended up having more like 600 cals for the day.

Another reason for me to save up the calories is to be able to eat a proper meal instead of snacking on "fill me up" things like shakes and gherkins.

Scales went down this morning but not to my new all time low. God this is slow.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Stargazer, I do a 24 hour fast on my DD, it just happened that way once, and I found it suited me.

I also like knowing I can have one good meal worth max 500 cals instead of eating unsatisfying amounts throughout the day. I seem to feel just fine the whole day on just coffee, green tea and lots of water. I get the occasional growling of my stomach, but it usually goes away.

I find a 2 egg omelette with smoked turkey breast/tuna/salmon, some parmesan and a good amount of veggies really fills me up, and it's a healthy meal as well. Eating slowly, even though I have real hunger at that point helps fill me up and not leave me feeling empty after my meal.

On UD's I eat when I'm hungry, which means I skip breakfast and then have a good brunch or lunch and another nice big meal at dinnertime.

I could probably lose more if I skip the beers on my UDs... LOL!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
i only do one meal on my DDs too. it can be a little nail biting until that one meal, but i am always glad i wait. i don't think it's quite 24hrs though.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote