Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sugarfreemarie
Kind of overhwlemed and have lots of questions

Good morning!

So I read recently in a popular magazine that "dieting two days a week (low carb) is better than low carbing 7 days a week". I guess the subjects lost more weight and kept it off longer. I've also read Carb Cycling by Romanov. At the back of his book he had indicated that if you can't give up refined carbs, you can cycle your calories and still keep your fav foods in your diet. Below are a lot of questions. I have tried to do searches on all of these topics but thought it would help me A LOT if I did it in a poll-like way so that I can get a lot of my questions answered at once. Thanks in advance...

My questions, and sorry, I have a lot!

1. ) In a nutself, what is JUDD and do you cycle calories and/or carbs?
2. ) How is weight loss on JUDD?
3.) Benefits over standard low carb/low calorie?
4.) Do you guys still eat your fav foods?
5.) Can you do this without being a n*zi about counting calories or carbs?
6.) Does it affect exercise?
7.) Do you think it's a better long term diet than standard low carb/calorie.

I told you I have a lot of questions But personally I notice I get a little depressed low carbing. I am not myself and I think I need to find a way to get some carbs in, while blasting fat. I do intend on going to the gym 6 days a week (cardio, maybe weights when I get closer to my weight).

Thank you, and I appreciate your help!
sugarfreemarie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Here is a great explanation of JUDDD
WHAT IS JUDDD? COME INSIDE AND SEE!!
This is by a very successful Juddder. There are a lot of explanations at the beginning of the JUDDD site here.

Hope this helps.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
1)WHAT IS JUDDD? COME INSIDE AND SEE!!
2)The above is a good place to start. Look at the sticky threads at the top of the JUDDD board.
3)There are many benefits in addition to the pleasure of being able to eat >>>
4) your favourite foods.
5)You must count calories. See the list of counting sites in the sticky threads already mentioned. I use ************.
6)Not unless you run Marathons. We have many hard exercisers here, (including at least one who just ran the London Marathon!)
7)Personally I do, not simply because it an easy way to maintain but has so many health benefits.

I did Atkins for 10 years. JUDDD has changed my size and my life. Hope you decide to give it a try.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

Last edited by Kissa; 04-30-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thank you! I just want a WOE that I can live with and feeling alive LOL Low carbing for me was great because I lost 30 lbs in 7 weeks but I was literally foggy and depressed. I know it's different for everyone and most people felt eurphoric but not me. So that is why I am seeking alternatives. I just can't do low fat. That's my only thing. So I am looking forward to everyone's responses!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Your down/very low calorie days will probably be low fat just because of the calorie restriction, not a NEED for low fat.
Your up/normal-average calorie days will be whatever works best for you.
After three months I look and feel so much better, I sleep normally, my size is shrinking, my weight is slowly lowering, and some of my issues with food are just not relevant anymore.
Still have to record everything eaten, but it is so easy to eat famine level every other day and be able to tell myself if I want something I can have it on my up day. Tomorrow is always an up day when you're feeling down
Old 04-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarfreemarie View Post
Good morning!

So I read recently in a popular magazine that "dieting two days a week (low carb) is better than low carbing 7 days a week". I guess the subjects lost more weight and kept it off longer. I've also read Carb Cycling by Romanov. At the back of his book he had indicated that if you can't give up refined carbs, you can cycle your calories and still keep your fav foods in your diet. Below are a lot of questions. I have tried to do searches on all of these topics but thought it would help me A LOT if I did it in a poll-like way so that I can get a lot of my questions answered at once. Thanks in advance...

My questions, and sorry, I have a lot!

1. ) In a nutself, what is JUDD and do you cycle calories and/or carbs?
JUDD stands for "Johnson's Up Day Down Day Diet" and is based on his book "The Alternate Day Diet. JUDD is calorie cycling but also considered to be Intermittent Fasting as the Down Day restriction is near fasting. You can cycle carbs if you feel it is beneficial. Some people find eating lean protein on DDs keeps hunger at bay. Other's find fats more satiating. It's whatever you decide.
2. ) How is weight loss on JUDD?
JUDD is not necessarily a quick weight loss diet. It is a WOL/WOE with many health benefits, including steady weight loss. Check out our daily weigh in thread. Some lose faster than others. One of our experts, Pat, says that for some people, their bodies may need a few weeks or more of JUDDing to heal in several ways before they begin losing. For me, the weight loss is good, but the fat burning and inches lost is even better. I went from wearing a size 18 at my highest weight to now wearing a size 10. JUDD preserves muscle and burns fat.
3.) Benefits over standard low carb/low calorie?
The biggest benefit is that this WOE sets your metabolism on fire once the SIRT1 gene is fully activated. Improved cognitive function, improved energy and sense of well being. Enjoyment of food and being able to eat the foods you love while still losing weight and getting healthy.
4.) Do you guys still eat your fav foods?
Yes!
5.) Can you do this without being a n*zi about counting calories or carbs? You must go to a calculator like this one UpDayDownDay Diet™ Plan ? How to Succeed (toggle down to the bottom of the page and put in your stats) to figure out your DD/UD numbers. Then respect those and you will lose weight. You do not need to count carbs.
6.) Does it affect exercise?
I work out 2.5 hours on DDs OR UDs and have a lot of energy.
7.) Do you think it's a better long term diet than standard low carb/calorie.
YES!!!!! It is something most of us, including me, know we can do forever!!!!

I told you I have a lot of questions But personally I notice I get a little depressed low carbing. I am not myself and I think I need to find a way to get some carbs in, while blasting fat. I do intend on going to the gym 6 days a week (cardio, maybe weights when I get closer to my weight).

Thank you, and I appreciate your help!

Glad you are ready to jump on board!!! Why wait 'til tomorrow? Just dive right in today. The water is fine!!!

Many, many, MOST people get grumpy and/or depressed and sluggish after being low carb for a while. There are scientific reasons for this. One is that your metabolism slows down. Another is that healthy carbs are essential for brain function and clear thinking. JUDD seems to be a mood enhancer. Just try and find another forum where people are so up beat and motivating and just plain happy all the time!!

You might want to read Dr. J's book to really understand the why's and how's of alternate day calorie restriction. There are many health benefits. It's helpful to understand the importance of activating your SIRT1 gene and how the enzymes produced and built up in your body will stimulate appetite suppression and fat burning.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 04-30-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, B Lou. Have you tried low carbing and is the weight loss rate comparable?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Yam-Yam, you are AWESOME! Thank you for that! I am actually 230 as of today, which was your starting weight
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: melisa82
Stats: 5'6" SW 244 CW Too Much GW 160
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3/27/12
I, presonally am doing JUDDD low-carb. I'm losing at about the same rate as I did when I was just eating low-carb, but with JUDDD I am only dieting half the time Some day I plan to add more carbs back in the form of greek yogurt and berries.
melisa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Back in 2003 I lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks doing LC low fat. Kept it off until about 3 years ago when it started creeping back on due to a foot problem so I could not longer walk daily. After foot surgery I piddled around and didn't get back to weight loss until Jan 8, 2012 when I started JUDDD. I am now down 21 pounds and can eat anything I want to. At least every other day. I am used to it now and everyone at my workplace is used to my strange way of eating. On again, off again.
You have to count calories but I was used to counting carbs. This is a calorie cycling diet. Has nothing to do with limiting carbs unless you choose to do that. Nothing is off limits as long as it fits into your allowable calories. Had to revise my LC diet since unlimited meat, butter, cream, cheese, salad dressing etc won't work on JUDDD. Way too many calories. I haven't eaten a salad since I started JUDDD. May never eat another one either. But I had a turkey sandwich for lunch which was delicious and only about 200 calories but this is an UD for me but I had carrot cake earlier.
Read up and see what you think. Research is always a good thing.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Yam-Yam, you are AWESOME! Thank you for that! I am actually 230 as of today, which was your starting weight
I cannot begin to tell you all the ways I feel better and better now than I did at 230. Now I feel so much lighter on my feet!! I have 5 grand kids and when the little ones want me to climb up into the play structures and go down tall slides at the park, I can do it now without my knees hurting when I crawl through the tunnels and tubes. And, I don't have to wonder if I'll get stuck in one of them trying to squeeze through!

I can get down on the floor and roll around with the kids and pop right back up without feeling like a ton of lead. I take them for long walks to the park, pushing a stroller. I can do an hour of high intensity cardio on the elliptical (can easily do 90 minutes, even) and follow it up with weight lifting and swimming laps in the pool and I end up with more energy than when I started.

Used to get tired out after 30 minutes of working out!!

It's finally fun to shop for clothes. And, what a blast to just be able to grab something out of my closet and slip into it instead of going through outfit after outfit finding I couldn't squeeze into them.

Congratulations on the weight you have already lost while LCing. I don't know how old you are, but this time around I have decided I'm too old to suffer!! There is no suffering once you get a few weeks of JUDD under your belt.

The rotations become easier. For me and lots of us the DDs are really enjoyable, stress free, and we look forward to them. We don't miss out on holidays or family celebrations because if need be, we can change our rotation so holiday's and social events and celebrations always fall on an UD and we can EAT whatever we choose.

One other benefit I have found is JUDD is causing me to crave healthier foods. I love potato chips. In the beginning on UDs I really pigged out on them. The other day it was an Ud and I could have had chips. I passed because instead I was craving cottage cheese with pineapple chunks.

That's just one example of many!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, AD! I wonder if people lose faster on their DD's when low carbing vs. low calorie or if JUDD was just meant for their DD to be low calorie. This plans actually sounds fun!
Yam - I am 33 and 5'6". I am 230 but hide it WELL! I dont even gain weight in the face or clavicle area. I am lucky. I have a flat stomach but my weight falls in my thighs and arms. My goal weight is 150 and IDEALLY, supermodel ideally (lol) it would be 140 but that would be like a Jessica Alba equivalent for me bc I am kind of big boned, like Beyonce, big boned.
Thanks for your input! This plan sounds great.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Quote:
Thank you, B Lou. Have you tried low carbing and is the weight loss rate comparable?
I am a natural moderate carber, usually right around 100g up to 120g, I don't "count" them and I only eat real food. I only know the numbers because ********* has the record of them. I do have to watch sugars like a stormtrooper and keep them under 25g a day from all foods because of my particular health issues. We all have different things we watch. In common we seem to keep an eye on eating enough protein, mostly avoiding sweet on down days to keep cravings away, and enjoying what we eat.
I did hardcore Atkins for years, following the book and owl and I did lose weight years ago. My endocrine issues overcame even lowcarb's ability for me to lose anymore. I have done real hcg and lost some, done real hcg and not lost anything. I gained on the six week body makeover at 800cal a day.
I am a slow loser, but it is magical how IF/JUDDDD is helping me. My belly fat is disappearing (and I have a LOT), my size shrinks even when the scale isn't going down, I sleep normally now, my energy is good and I don't feel sickly all the time. Hormones still very erratic, but I feel like I have some improvement.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Nice, B Lou. Ive dabbled in HcG but it messed up my metabolism!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thank you, AD! I wonder if people lose faster on their DD's when low carbing vs. low calorie or if JUDD was just meant for their DD to be low calorie. This plans actually sounds fun!
Yam - I am 33 and 5'6". I am 230 but hide it WELL! I dont even gain weight in the face or clavicle area. I am lucky. I have a flat stomach but my weight falls in my thighs and arms. My goal weight is 150 and IDEALLY, supermodel ideally (lol) it would be 140 but that would be like a Jessica Alba equivalent for me bc I am kind of big boned, like Beyonce, big boned.
Thanks for your input! This plan sounds great.
SF: I just put your stats into the JUDD calculator. I got 2173/435 for your UD/DD numbers. That is at 20% WLM and most of us agree the "little or no exercise option" should be left as is no matter how much you work out, at least for the first 2 weeks.

If you enjoy LC on DDs and feel it's beneficial and keeps you at or under your calorie limit, I say go for it and it will work well. Be prepared that if you then eat carbs on the following UD, you will retain water but it should disappear after your next DD. Some people only weigh after DDs because they don't like seeing the scale bounce up.

An important reminder: You must try to eat up to or as close to your UD number as you can. This is because your body needs the calories to sustain your next DD. It is also part of how the magic happens involving the sirtuin enzyme activation and supply.

On DDs it's different. The lower you go the better. Even to the point of a total fast where you just drink non caloric liquids and water all day. That's fine if you can do it.

That being said, many find in the beginning that it is tough to start out doing 500 calories on a DD. In your case, I would say if you find it difficult to do so, you could go all the way up to 35% in the beginning and work your way down. 761 is your 35% DD number.

For myself, my numbers right now are 400/1900 but I know in the back of my mind that if I have an unexpected dinner out or something like that on a DD, I can allow myself up to 680 which is 35% for me and it will stil be WLM.

Your UD numbers don't change.

Be sure and check out the DD recipes thread. Lots of great ideas for filling, low cal food for DDs.

You kind of have to just go with what you know about yourself to figure out how to handle DDs. For me, if I eat in the morning, it triggers my hunger and I want to eat all day. So, I just have coffee with half and half in it and then drink water and iced tea. I keep hard boiled eggs, roasted chicken and frozen fish on hand for easy, quick food if I get really hungry. (I cook my frozen fish fillets in Zip-N-Steam bags in the microwave. About 2 minutes for tilapia and I mix up some mayo with dill and it makes a yummy meal.)

The cabbage/chicken cheese dishes you will read about on the threads are just delicious. You can make it with shrimp or ground turkey or whatever.

Some people are high volume eaters and need a big plate of food to feel satisfied and stick w/ the DD. That is where all the veggies come in for low cal, high volume food.

Personally, I do find that lean protein and fat free dairy keep me full for a long time. If I have a hard boiled egg and later have some fat free Greek yogurt, I'm happy all day. Everyone needs to learn and do what works for them.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Wow, Yam! thank you so much! For my numbers, is that for average weight loss?.I'd like to speed things up. I'm in a wedding in six weeks lol
Old 04-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #17
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
JUDDD really isn't a fast weightloss system. I have lost 21 pounds in 16 weeks. Others lose much faster but I am enjoying my WOE right now.I started in January to lose for an event the end of May. I got a head start.
I hope you are not disappointed and are expecting too much too fast.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Just wanted to say Marie!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
The big advantage this diet has is that it takes so much of the stress away from eating. Nothing is actually forbidden and the UD calories are generous - in fact, if you have to go one way or another, it seems better to go over on your UD calories than under! So you never have that feeling that you've eaten too much, you've blown it, you don't stay awake at night fretting about having ruined things and how you might as well give up. Stick to your DDs (and generally stick to your UD calories - the odd breakout won't kill you around here), that stress is gone forever. It's so liberating it's hard to describe.

You never look at any food and think you'll never eat it again. If something suits you, you can have it.

You don't worry about food on DDs, a little of what you've got hanging around is fine. A yoghurt, an egg, whatever. No special shopping for it. It's a day when you don't even think about what you're going to eat. It's quite relaxing.

I combine WW and JUDDD. I take my points for the day and eat 20% of them on DDs (normally I don't even eat all of them), and then on UDs I use all my points and make up the difference between my points level and my UD calories in fruit and vegetables, which have no points in WW. I eat tonnes on an UD, loads of fresh fruit, loads of veg, around 600 calories worth. Then I have the 49 extra points which I use if I need to. And my health, energy, mood and sleep have all improved a huge amount. It's great.

I'm not shedding weight at a huge rate - I'm down 3.5lbs in two weeks. Well, last week was poor enough for me, and this weekend will be too. Still, when I look in the mirror, I see a significant change in the fat distribution and a softening of cellulite that I've never seen with any other diet.

Even if I wasn't losing weight, I think I'd still be doing this - the benefits are all round.
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Casmira! That helped a lot!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Many, many, MOST people get grumpy and/or depressed and sluggish after being low carb for a while. There are scientific reasons for this. One is that your metabolism slows down. Another is that healthy carbs are essential for brain function and clear thinking. JUDD seems to be a mood enhancer. Just try and find another forum where people are so up beat and motivating and just plain happy all the time!!
REALLY?!?

I always thought I was a freak b/c low carb didn't make me über happy like everyone else claimed to be due to no sugar hugs/lows. Low carb made my mood dip VERY low, we're talking high anxiety and crying fits (yes, they were fits, I wasn't just a little sad.)

Now I believe there's truth to "potatoes not Prozac!"
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote