Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
estimating restaurant calories

Forgive me if this post is a duplicate. I thought I submitted it but it's not showing up anywhere on the boards.

I eat out frequently and I don't want to change that if I can incorporate it into my WOE. I'm usually not in chain restaurants so I can't get calorie counts. I try and order wisely then come home and deconstruct what I ate and drank to enter it into ****** but it is a total guess! Today for lunch, for example, I had a grilled chicken wrap with mango salsa and avocado. Delicious but huge so I only ate half. Plus ice tea and 6 big onion rings I guessed 800 calories for lunch but that's the point. It is a total guess. I could be high or low by 30% or hundreds of calories.

Any tricks or tips beyond staying home and measuring? I plan to be on this WOE hopefully forever and I am not going to stay home for years until I hit maintenance.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I find several "similar" items on food tracker sites, choose one in the mid-range, and hope for the best.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I think guessing is the best we can do. Even when the restaurant gives you calorie counts, it isn't exactly that. I was reading that the restaurant calorie counts can be off as much as 100-250 calories. It all depends on how much they put on the plate etc. Deconstructing the dish, as you do, is probably the best way. I know I have become very good at estimating amounts- like how many tomatoes or portion size of potatoes I ate. Today I went out for breakfast at a place that didn't have calorie counts. I had a 3 egg, bacon, tomato, olive, and cream cheese omelet. I estimated the amount of each ingredient in it and entered that. On those days when I eat at a restaurant, I do undereat my calories for the day just in case I am missing something. On down days, I don't often eat out and when I do it is some place like Black Angus that states the calorie count in a breast of chicken and a serving of broccoli etc. I try to be very cxareful on a down day, but I worry less if I go over some on an up day. I find that whenever I eat out, each meal is around 1000 calories!! This month, I ate out 3-4 times a week for one meal. On those days, I generally only have two meals- just in case.

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-29-2012 at 03:34 PM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
I found an app where you take photos of the food you're going to eat and it estimates the calories. I haven't used it yet, so I don't know whether it works and I'm not sure how it estimates the amount of food or the size of the plate so I'm a bit dubious...

But overall, I tend to do the same as Dawn. And I think as long as you've budgeted a number for it that goes at least close, you're probably going to be alright. It's when you don't even think about the number that the problems start.
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Re-started Judd on 8.5.14
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 3.26.12
Hi Casmira - what is the app? Have you tried it yet?
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
It's called PhotoCalorie, and I haven't tried it.

I plan to test it out with some things where I already know the calorie count to see how accurate it is, just haven't gotten around to that yet...
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: buttah
Stats: 189/137/136-140
WOE: peri-meno "corrective" R4
Start Date: LowCal/Dukan/JUDD 2/12-8/12, then 3 rounds rxHCG
Bumping this because it adds to my nervousness about starting JUDDD.

But I did. Calling today my first ever UD, and I had some chicken pad thai for lunch, from a restaurant. Absolutely no idea how many calories. Looking at an online tracker I saw ranges from the 400's to the 900's per bowl - quite a difference!

Granted I usually eat more "countable" calories, but if part of the joy of JUDDD is getting to have those occasional special treats, what's an obsessive calorie counter to do?
buttah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
I want to enjoy eating out so I do it on UDs and I will eat very little before going out to dinner so I can eat and enjoy. If it is 200 calories more than I estimate I typically had that to spare since I made low or no calorie choices earlier in the day. I should say it's pretty easy for me to not eat until after 5pm so this may be harder for others, but if I'm really hungry and I'm going out to dinner I'll eat a 80 calorie yogurt or some celery and dip so I save for the dinner I want to enjoy.

See my before and after pictures
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ore-after.html
Carly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Carly, if you fast all day (or just have yogurt/celery/etc before going), aren't you worried you're not even coming close to your UD calories and thus not getting the full benefit of UD/DD eating, the skinny gene and all that good metabolism stuff?

I can't possibly eat 1700 (or even 1500) calories just at dinner!

I guess I'm still confused about UD's, and I'm winding toward the end of my first one. I estimate I had between 1500 and 1700, but I really have not idea because of my mystery Thai lunch!
Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

I do not worry too much if I'm a little under, but here is the thing. My UD calories are 1774. I always eat 200 below because of a sleep walking/ eating issue. So that brings it to 1574. Minus say 150 for the yogurt and celery, another 60 for cream in my coffee and save 150 for bedtime snack so subtract 360 from that and I'm at 1200. Which I could eat at certain restaurants if I'm really enjoying myself and for me that is the point- to enjoy. For me coming in a little under hasn't slowed my weight loss and just balances out when I go a little over I guess.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:11 AM   #11

My favorite dish at my favorite Mexican restaurant is over 1600 calories. It's shocking, I would eat that a couple of times per month and think it was at least relatively healthy because it has chicken.

I'm allowed 2000 on UDs, so I have also used Carly's strategy, and then enjoyed the heck out of those 1600 calories (before drinks or chips/salsa even!).
Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
My favorite dish at my favorite Mexican restaurant is over 1600 calories. It's shocking, I would eat that a couple of times per month and think it was at least relatively healthy because it has chicken.

I'm allowed 2000 on UDs, so I have also used Carly's strategy, and then enjoyed the heck out of those 1600 calories (before drinks or chips/salsa even!).
This is SO true how shocking it is. I never really realized how high in calories restaurant food is until they started posting the calories on the menu. I found that my favorite meal of BBQ ribs, a potato, and coleslaw was 1800 calories. To me, it is hard to eat out and NOT eat at least 1000 calories for dinner. I have done it, of course, but I have to very carefully plan it ahead of time. If I really let myself enjoy, the calories are way up there.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

I hear you Keirasmom, about restaurant food like that.

But I guess I've been ordering grilled protein and veggies at restaurants (no rice/potatoes please, just extra veggies) for so long (it has taken me FOREVER to lose what I've lost) that my eating habits are already permanently changed. It's hard to imagine ordering something "normal" at a restaurant.

I guess I need to really embrace the JUDD philosophy if this is going to work.

So far, my UD yesterday was under 1800 (even counting the Thai food as 900! and that was a HUGE RARITY for me to eat something like that) and today, even though it's a DD, I'm doing a sort of Dukan DD, which means only protein and veggies.

My brain has not fully embraced JUDDD. I'm too scared.

Last edited by buttah; 07-23-2012 at 01:02 PM..
Old 07-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttah View Post
I hear you Keirasmom, about restaurant food like that.

But I guess I've been ordering grilled protein and veggies at restaurants (no rice/potatoes please, just extra veggies) for so long (it has taken me FOREVER to lose what I've lost) that my eating habits are already permanently changed. It's hard to imagine ordering something "normal" at a restaurant.

I guess I need to really embrace the JUDD philosophy if this is going to work.

So far, my UD yesterday was under 1800 (even counting the Thai food as 900! and that was a HUGE RARITY for me to eat something like that) and today, even though it's a DD, I'm doing a sort of Dukan DD, which means only protein and veggies.

My brain has not fully embraced JUDDD. I'm too scared.
PLEASE dont be afraid of the "dark side" I have failed ever diet i have ever tryed.. untill this one. More than the number on the scale JUDDD has taught me more about my body then any other plan!! IT WORKS~ I know some gals here are very very strict about the numbers,, and for them,, perhaps that is what they need to do for there body. .. but for me... i have eye balled portions.. rounded up on calories. guesstamated just about every thing i put in my mouth... and i have continued to loose~ I think .. IMHO that for some.. counting for ever is needed. but not for all.. I have taken the basic part of juddd which is up days to eat, and dd to not eat( for me) and it works just fine.. I also found that (for me) the Stress of worry about the numbers and getting up to a number that hard for me to reach based on my food choices.. was to much stress for my body.. once i threw in the towel and just ate when hungry on my UD and kept an eye on portions and choices and stop obsessing over that high number the body relaxed and the weight came off.. I just wanted to share "MY" experience with you to help you see that it dont have to be "black or white" sometimes for a plan to work.. Again.. this is not what the masses do.. but it is what I do and JUDDD still is magic for me.. best of luck and i pray you give your self and JUDDD a chance to change your life
1995 190# Low fat
2012 225#
2012 found JUDDD
166# current 2014

Last edited by sterlinggirl; 07-23-2012 at 01:15 PM..
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you sterling girl! I think I needed to hear that at least some people are "doing what the book says" and not basically (by counting calories even on UP days) "dieting" every day, rather than every OTHER day!

For now, I'll continue to guestimate, just to get an idea where I am, in case I decide to switch to the "eat healthy foods to satisfy, but don't stuff yourself" mode prescribed by the book.

But for those of you who posted above that you mostly save your UD calories for your dinner (esp. dinners out) how ON EARTH do you do that after a good DD? That means, essentially, the fasting continues all the way to dinner the day after you've already "fasted." Yikes! After my first DD yesterday, I woke up with a headache and absolutely positively needed to eat something healthy as soon as I woke up. I can't imagine staying on DD-ish meals/snacks until dinner time!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #16

You can't imagine it now because the appetite suppression hasn't kicked in yet. Just wait until your first UD where you forget it's an UD because you just seriously are NOT hungry. It really, truly does happen to a good percentage of JUDDDers!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Good to know, Keirasmom! I feel bad about asking all these questions, but I want to be prepared!
Old 07-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #18

There's no need to apologize for asking questions. That's what we're here for.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
You can't imagine it now because the appetite suppression hasn't kicked in yet. Just wait until your first UD where you forget it's an UD because you just seriously are NOT hungry. It really, truly does happen to a good percentage of JUDDDers!
As Sheridan would say- Quoted for truth.

But in the beginning I would have thought that sounded forgetting it was an UD. I forget frequently.