Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NancyLeeIL
Stats: 270/247/130
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: 4/27/2012
Newbie Questions...

Well...I've learned some things the past few days. One is to PLAN.

I have some questions:

1. In the book there is this little section on eggs. Talking about how they aren't the horror they were once thought to be. But then it seemed like eating eggs was "frowned" on because all the recipes use egg whites. Why? I understand the cholesterol is in the yolk and if you have high cholesterol, you might not want to eat an egg a day necessarily, but I find egg whites blah in anything but angel food cake and meringue .

2. I'm confused about UD. When I calculate mine (from Dr. J's website) My UD are supposed to be 2131 (I'm a big woman). In the book, it seems like calories on your UD are what they are, not to sweat them..yet, on this forum and in one of the threads (where Dr. J responded to someone about around the 8-10 week mark I believe) they DO matter.

What I do understand is that overall you want to eat healthier. I understand eating 50 calories of cookies isn't the same as eating 50 calories of an apple. So you don't want on your UD to sit down and eat a whole cheesecake...but do you calculate your calories every day no matter what? I do automatically have to watch my carb intake because of being a diabetic (Type 2, though btw, I just went to the doc and my A1C went down 9 points to "borderline).

3. What do you guys do when you don't know the calories of something? Like a particular restaurant you go to? Do you just look up something close and kinda do your best guessing?

I've decided I'm just going to sit down one day a week and plan meals..and have some things on hand ALWAYS to make sure I'm ok. This week was a zoo for me. But I learned that Trader Joe's Bars have 150 calories per bar and I can keep one in my pocketbook on DD...so even if we end up running and eating out. Poof...I'm good. Live and learn.

Thank you for any help. I know I'll have more questions and will try to search for answers before bugging you long-timers :-)

Hugs,
Nancy
NancyLeeIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLeeIL View Post
Well...I've learned some things the past few days. One is to PLAN.

I have some questions:

1. In the book there is this little section on eggs. Talking about how they aren't the horror they were once thought to be. But then it seemed like eating eggs was "frowned" on because all the recipes use egg whites. Why? I understand the cholesterol is in the yolk and if you have high cholesterol, you might not want to eat an egg a day necessarily, but I find egg whites blah in anything but angel food cake and meringue .

I use egg whites only on a DD because they are much lower calorie than the whole egg and still have a decent amount of protein. I dress them up with salsa.

2. I'm confused about UD. When I calculate mine (from Dr. J's website) My UD are supposed to be 2131 (I'm a big woman). In the book, it seems like calories on your UD are what they are, not to sweat them..yet, on this forum and in one of the threads (where Dr. J responded to someone about around the 8-10 week mark I believe) they DO matter.

Many of us don't eat our "normal" calories unless we track them. I, for one, could eat 3000 calories easily on an UD if I don't pay attention, so I still track on UDs. If we could all eat normally, we probably wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place. My UDs are also 2100.

What I do understand is that overall you want to eat healthier. I understand eating 50 calories of cookies isn't the same as eating 50 calories of an apple. So you don't want on your UD to sit down and eat a whole cheesecake...but do you calculate your calories every day no matter what? I do automatically have to watch my carb intake because of being a diabetic (Type 2, though btw, I just went to the doc and my A1C went down 9 points to "borderline).

I'm not the best example of healthful eating. All calories ARE created equal in my life. If I want something like wine or cookies, I simply set aside those calories for that item, and have it, without guilt. JUDDD doesn't care what you eat, as long as you're within your calorie limits.

3. What do you guys do when you don't know the calories of something? Like a particular restaurant you go to? Do you just look up something close and kinda do your best guessing?

That's exactly what I do. I use ************ and find several similar items, then pick the one that falls somewhere in the middle. It's working pretty well so far.

I've decided I'm just going to sit down one day a week and plan meals..and have some things on hand ALWAYS to make sure I'm ok. This week was a zoo for me. But I learned that Trader Joe's Bars have 150 calories per bar and I can keep one in my pocketbook on DD...so even if we end up running and eating out. Poof...I'm good. Live and learn.

There are a couple of threads on what you can have on a DD while eating out too. My go-to is a small Wendy's chili for 210 calories and tons of protein, or a Subway salad with vinegar for the dressing.

Thank you for any help. I know I'll have more questions and will try to search for answers before bugging you long-timers :-)

Hugs,
Nancy
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Dawn has done an excellent job above.

Egg Whites are great for DD's since they only have around 18 calories and are all protein. I can't stand scrambled egg whites but I find a HB egg white doable.

The UD calorie thing has been discussed and I think the consensus was that if we are on this board trying to lose weight, we really do not have m uch of a concept of "normal" eating.

I use ****** and in the beginning I was very conscious of what my calroies were. Now I have done the same menues over and over so I don't re-calculate. And I don't eat out but once in a blue moon, so I don't know anything about doing that. When I do eat out I eat very little throught the day and save most of my caloires for the out meal.

And about healthy calories. I don't even worry. A calorie is a calorie to me. I had Bluebell Chocolate Chip ice cream for dinner last night and my scale is right on target for where it should be this morning. Gotta LOVE JUDDD.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Have to second Adi. Dawn's answers were perfect!

And I'm thirding it, a calorie is a calorie to me, too. Case in point, yesterday was my DD and I wanted an especially nice loss since end of month is near so I decided to eat really clean and keep my carbs low. Had lots of veggies and protein, kept it under 500 calories and today I was up 0.6 on the scale. Not a lot but I usually expect a loss after a DD. Should have had that chocolate that was calling my name.
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
I agree - a calorie is a calorie. Yesterday was my DD - I hadn't eaten all day and at 8:00 PM, I decided that I wanted a cupcake - so that is the only thing I ate yesterday! Normally I eat better for health reasons but am losing just fine counting calories rather than protein, fat, fiber, carbs, etc.
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Looks like Dawn and the others covered it all fantastically, so just wanted to extend a Nancy!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
I've nothing more to add, just a big to the group. Glad to have you join us!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
Excellent tips! Glad to read this!
BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
Nancy. Glad to have you on board, and looking forward to your success stories!

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #10

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Brilliant answers from our lovely Dawn.

May I add that the only time I use egg whites alone is to make meringue, lol.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #11

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Nancy. I agree with all the other posters here, a calorie is a calorie. Yes, some have more nutrients (or better ones) than others, but JUDDD does not give you any restrictions on what to eat, just how (or when) to eat.

That said, lots of people find that sitting down and eating a whole cheesecake, while within their calories for the day, would be far less than a satisfying experience. Most of us, over time, find that we gravitate toward healthier foods more often and have treats instead of diving face-first into sugar and fat and salt. The calories go farther if you make healthier choices. 50 calories of cookies doesn't fill you up nearly as much as 50 calories of apple. And especially on down days, it's often about satiety.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Everything's been said so just wanted to say
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
NancyLeeIL!

We share two names

I get very good appetite suppression on JUDDD (so good I think I sabotaged my own weight loss by not eating enough). But I also find it is absolutely vital to have go-to foods on hand. There are times literally a bite or two is enough to calm a raging hormonal DD hunger.

Keep planning. And jump in with questions, comments, and advice! This forum is fun!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:23 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bevonjuddd
Stats: 18(UK)-198/12/14-158/12-140 - 5'7" - Age 51
Start Date: 02.01.12
I find I'm making healthier choices now than I did at first - it's a psychological thing - I don't want to feel deprived as I know that will lead to binging or abandoning this WOE, as I've done with others in the past. It really doesn't matter - according to Dr J, the research shows that you get the health benefits of JUDDD (eg weight loss, anti-inflammatory, longevity effects) whatever you eat. Choose food you enjoy.
bevonjuddd is offline   Reply With Quote