Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Thinking about maintenance

I'm considering doing maintenance level calories for a while. I looked it up and at my current weight, I should be doing 1800 UDs and 900 DDs.

I'm kinda tired of dieting! I'm tired of letting the scale mess with my head, I'm tired of being frustrated when I don't lose the way I think I should be.

I can go into weight loss mode again if I want to, but frankly, right now, maintaining a 125 pound loss doesn't seem like a bad idea. And even if I never go any lower, I could live with this.

Has anyone else ever done this? Am I just crazy?

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: TryingJudd
Stats: Started Judd on 3.26.12
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 3.26.12
IMO you should do what makes you happy and healthy!!! Sounds like the maintenance track turns into a few pounds lost for most people on this board without them really trying plus your body probably could use a break from all the hard work of losing you have been doing. One thing to ponder though - can you keep to maintenance without the regular affirmation of lower numbers on the scale? Something maintainers have to deal with that unfortunately I have not experienced yet so maybe they can weigh in. I just wouldn't want you to undo all the hard work you have done.
TryingJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Luna,
I thought you'd been a bit quiet!
Oh, I hear what you're saying, and I have no advice, 'though I trust excellent advice is on its way from the experienced gang. From my newbie perspective, here's what life looks like:
1. I'm always "dieting." I'm either doing it well (reasonable intake, reasonably healthy) or badly (junk and too much food for this body). And I'm either doing it happily or unhappily. I have yet to master doing a bad diet happily, ie I am never in love with myself when eating poorly. So that leaves me with eating well, happily or unhappily. What I'm trying to learn here is to eat well with surrender and joy. It might take me a while, and I have many tight, tired, frustrated moments (and days), but I've gotta keep moving in the direction of happy healthy diet.
2. This is a good place to do it. It ain't the only place, but it's a heckuva lot jollier and more supportive than the monologue that goes on in my own head around food and weight.
3. I'm human, alas. I'm going to have disappointing UDs, DDs, months, seasons. That's life and I HOPE TO GOD that I can relax into the process and stop crucifying myself for being exactly where I'm at right now.
Enough. Just blathering from a newbie.
More importantly, lots of love and happiness. You'll do exactly what you need to do, and be better for it,
Kristin
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #4

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Why not?

It would be great for you to take break and move to maintenance if that is how you feel. Some of us have even continued to lose a little in maintenance. You know how to lose again when the spirit moves you.

JUDDD is so accommodating, it will work for you as and how you wish.

You have done such an amazing job losing 125 already.

Just one caveat however, you HAVE to keep coming here just as often, deal?
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
I think so long as you're happy with where you are, go for it. It's your body, your life, your choice. You've done brilliantly, and choosing maintenance for now or forever is totally up to you. Congratulations on your loss to date, it's a wonderful number, you've done an amazing job!
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #6

Luna, look at this great thread Yam Yam started.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...t15617238.html
Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I think it's a great idea myself. I did it too. It was a nice change to not have the stress of wanting to see the scale go down, and just relaxing into the body I had. When I was ready, my body was also ready and I lost quickly again, and had renewed energy to stick to those DD's.

My suggestion is to up your DD calories slowly. Go to maybe 700 for a week or 2, then 800, then 900, so you can see if there's a thresh hold that isn't really maintenance anymore. And I'd still recommend weighing at least once a week, so if scale creep does start to happen, you can nip it before it becomes too much.

Join us in Maintenance Lane for awhile. Get a feel for how it works. And then re-evaluate in a month or so and see if you want to go back to wlm, or just stay where you are. Chances are, you are still going to see changes with the tape measure in that time anyway. And it's even more fun to see that when you aren't trying . LOL
Old 04-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)

I think changing your challenge & adventure from focusing on losing to learning to maintain a healthy weight sounds like a great idea. As you say, if you decide you want to lose more, you know how to do it.

Luna, you have reached a wonderful place: any decision you make is right!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
I think it is a wondeful idea, Luna.

You are such a success having lost 125 pounds. Truly awe inspiring.

I have heard and read that the hardest part of weight loss is the maintenance so this will give you good practice and insight as to what the rest of your life will be like. And you can share this knowledge with the rest of us!

Good luck!
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Luna.. i also agree that perhaps a break is in order, somthing not quite as restrictive on a down day.. You have had an amazing journey.. i think it may be time to take that fork in the road and take a lil side trip before you continue on with the rest of the trip! Enjoy the site seeing,, love you lots, you are a inspiration to many ,including me.. and i also agree with Kissa, please continue to stay here with us.. you have so much to share with us that are new here!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
You've done a fantastic job with your weight loss, Luna! Whatever you decide to do will be right for you, and we'll support you 100% Maintenance is a relaxing time, and allows for experimentation. If you want, you can resume losses later (they may keep happening slowly anyway!). Keep us updated on how it goes - will be very interested in your experiences.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #12

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Luna,

I am nowhere near your success level, and look up to you for everything you've accomplished. I have considered doing this myself, and I'm only at 56 lbs lost thus far. I think there comes a time when you do need to rest and allow your body to catch up. A break from the every day stress of trying and trying to lose, even though this is the best WOE in the whole wide world, could be therapeutic. Ultimately, it's your body and your decision, and you know we will support whatever you decide. If you do choose to go into maintenance for awhile or forever, I sincerely hope you continue to share your experiences. I keep waffling over whether or not I'm at a point where I want to take a maintenance break and would love input from one of our super-stars!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
May 2014: Still maintaining; taking a stab at HDE/IE
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 PM   #13

I'm glad to know I'm not crazy, or if I am it's a good kind of crazy, since I seem to get agreement and great suggestions from some of the sweetest, smartest people I know! I like the idea of upping my DD calories slowly, not just slamming them into maintenance level.

Tina, I love love love what you said about "relaxing into the body I had". That sums up what I'm hoping to experience so beautifully. I want to step away from the criticizing, the need for lower and lower numbers, and just enjoy how very very far I've come and how amazing it is to have this body.

I absolutely intend to keep coming here--just try and stop me! I love you all so much and my life would be less without you all.

I'm not calling goal--just taking a break from wlm for a while. I like how this decision feels. I feel like I'm taking control back. I feel better. Thank you all for your support and your affirmations!

I will definitely check in on the maintenance thread--I guess first I should read it, hmmm?
Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Luna, you are one of the nicest, most thoughtful people I know. Your plan to decide about tomorrow, tomorrow makes so much sense.

I am looking forward to hearing about your adventures in maintain-land! I know you are going to be successful and live happily ever after there!

Last edited by gotsomeold; 04-29-2012 at 04:07 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:23 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/169/155 5' 8"
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Luna,

What a wise and thoughtful consideration you have for yourself. And isn't JUDDD incredible and freeing? I have never heard anyone on any other diet ever, say, "You know, I'd like to put the brakes on for a while, slow down, regroup, chill out, reassess." What an amazing realization! You sound at peace and very much in control of your destiny. What an inspiration!!!
Alcestis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Luna: I so agree with the other BUDDs and also want to say how great your point of view is. Taking time to appreciate how far you have come is great. And, doing it by entering maintenance is so much better than "celebrating" by going totally off plan!!!

Isn't it fantastic that we not only have a plan for WLM on JUDD but also an easy transition an plan for maintaining our losses??? It's incredible!!! Also, lots of other WL support boards have lots and lots of support for losers (those in the process of losing) but only a teeny-weeny bit of support from and for maintainers. Not so here!

All our JUDD maintainer super-stars stay around to help and encourage. ya just gotta love it!!

We all love you!!!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

So, while I'm reading your thread and typing I have my wonderful music station on cable.

Right now what's playing is a beautiful arrangement of "Climb Every Mountain".

How appropriate is that for right now??

Climb every mountain, forge every stream;
Follow every rainbow, til you've found your dream.
A dream that will need all the love you can give
Every day of your life, for as long as you live.

How many "mountains" of WL plans have we climbed looking for one we could love for a life time??

Wow, I can't count them all.

That's what it takes. If a WL WOE is not one we can love every day for as long as we live, we better move on and find another "mountain" to start climbing. How fortunate we all are to have found JUDD and this forum!

This is a mountain I can keep climbing. The journey itself is a blast, and I keep imagining the view from the top will be dazzling!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Luna, I read your post yesterday and was thinking about you last night and again this morning.

Have you ever - while working on a complicated art project that's been going well and you're very pleased with how it's coming along... a project you've been working on for quite some time and are eager to complete and maybe even sometimes think it IS complete or really close to it ... but on the other hand, you tell yourself there's "other stuff" you COULD do that sometimes sounds like a good idea and other times not (because you as a fellow artist know how easy it is to "overwork" something) - have you ever made yourself STOP working on it for a week or longer? I surely do. When I was doing a lot of portraits I learned to make myself stop at a certain point and not think about it or even LOOK at it for at least a week, sometimes a lot longer. I've learned I really need to watch my borderline obsessive tendencies for "perfection". Overworking a project will ruin much of the excellent work previously done, then comes trying to "fix" things, then frustration and kicking myself for not leaving well enough alone, taking away the joy of the project. Ever been there? Bet you have. I'm almost always happier with what I create when I do it in "fits and starts".

You are a work of art, my sweet, insightful friend. I believe your artist's instinct is kicking in here now and you're sensing you need to step back, put this 'project' away for a while, and see where you are after a period of not focusing so much on it. What you see after not looking and thinking about it so intently may very well be perfection!

Trust your gut instinct about moving to maintaining. I think you have a good understanding of things - where you are now, where you came from, where you may wish to end up. You can always work on your project later if in your mind's eye you want it to look a little different than where it is now.

All my best!
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Luna, I read your post yesterday and was thinking about you last night and again this morning.

Have you ever - while working on a complicated art project that's been going well and you're very pleased with how it's coming along... a project you've been working on for quite some time and are eager to complete and maybe even sometimes think it IS complete or really close to it ... but on the other hand, you tell yourself there's "other stuff" you COULD do that sometimes sounds like a good idea and other times not (because you as a fellow artist know how easy it is to "overwork" something) - have you ever made yourself STOP working on it for a week or longer? I surely do. When I was doing a lot of portraits I learned to make myself stop at a certain point and not think about it or even LOOK at it for at least a week, sometimes a lot longer. I've learned I really need to watch my borderline obsessive tendencies for "perfection". Overworking a project will ruin much of the excellent work previously done, then comes trying to "fix" things, then frustration and kicking myself for not leaving well enough alone, taking away the joy of the project. Ever been there? Bet you have. I'm almost always happier with what I create when I do it in "fits and starts".

You are a work of art, my sweet, insightful friend. I believe your artist's instinct is kicking in here now and you're sensing you need to step back, put this 'project' away for a while, and see where you are after a period of not focusing so much on it. What you see after not looking and thinking about it so intently may very well be perfection!

Trust your gut instinct about moving to maintaining. I think you have a good understanding of things - where you are now, where you came from, where you may wish to end up. You can always work on your project later if in your mind's eye you want it to look a little different than where it is now.

All my best!
Love this!!
Old 04-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #20

Brilliant posts here. Enjoy Maintenance Luna, I do!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
Taking a rest on a beautiful outcropping of rock, with a stunning view below me of health and peace and loving my body and loving being in my body. I'm gonna sit here for a while and take it all in. And breathe. And enjoy the view. And celebrate my progress. And contemplate that last little bit to the peak. It'll still be there when I'm ready to climb it.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shirleychef
Stats: 235/154/140's
WOE: hCG for loss, JUDDD currently
Start Date: April 25, 2011
Luna.... I'm new to the JUDDD end of this forum but wanted to say that your posts are so refreshing. I'm at the same point as you in my journey... ready to maintain for a while, yet I was really struggling with that decision, feeling like I was cutting myself short since I'm so close to goal... yet after working at WL for a year... I'm ready to NOT have that be the focus of my life... I was struggling through all this...............then I read all your posts. THANK YOU!!! Thank you for sharing your heart and thoughts! Thanks for allowing your great victory in weight loss and current place to help others through the process too!
shirleychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
That's the great thing about JUDDD... You can go into maintenance mode and do that...simply maintain! It's not like LC where maintenance has to be eased into and a water bounce is pretty much inevitable. Take a pause...you deserve it!
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
Oh, what WONDERFUL posts. I am touched and thrilled and can't wait for you BUDDS to share with me (us) your experiences in the maintenance lane. I swear, some of you could be writers for a living!! I am humbled!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Sheridan! Beautiful and insightful post!

Luna, Wise choice and I know whatever you do next will be a success, just as you are. Enjoy maintenance! It's so refreshing!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
The weigh you have lost is amazing, and I am sure you feel so much better now! If you need a break, take a break!!! No sense in pushing if you dont feel like it, it just makes it all harder!! But do stay in maintance, dont undo all you did!!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #27

I thought I would just update here for a little while. I had a nice down day yesterday, wasn't hungry really at all! Knowing that I had more room meant that I was so much more relaxed about my hunger. I ate my first meal about 3 pm. Normally after I eat on a DD, my brain automatically goes into counting mode. "Okay, I had 230 calories, that means I only have 270 left, what if I get too hungry? What else can I eat that will make me feel satisfied? What if I can't be satisfied with only the calories I have left?"

Knowing that I nearly had 500 calories left for the day, and that meant I could have practically anything, relaxed me and gave me a feeling of peace about my food. I am usually so tense about food on DDs.

I went to bed last night feeling relaxed about my weight. Normally on a down day especially, I'd be chugging water right before bed, afraid that I hadn't gotten enough water and therefore would be holding water weight on the scale in the morning. This of course keeps me up half the night going to the bathroom. Last night I had a drink of water, but didn't push the water, knowing that if I was holding on to water weight in the morning, it was no big deal. I'm not worried if I have a few ounces of extra weight in the morning.

I got up this morning and weighed and recorded the number and went about my day. No sweat, no annoyance that I am not down after a down day, nothing. Just a calm peacefulness.

I am so happy with this decision. My mindset is so much healthier and easier to live with! Thank all of you for your support and suggestions. This board is the best.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Luna!

You are doing so great. I feel your next step will be just as great. I know just what you mean about now feeling more relaxed with your feeling on food, etc!

I too am hoping to be a maintainer! I step on the scale the first of every month, so tomorrow is my big day!

Hope to see both of us on the Maintainer !
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patkid
Stats: 199/160.8/165
Start Date: Feb. 3, 2014
What loving, thoughtful, respectful, encouraging posts.
Patkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Luna, SO inspiring. Thanks. I freaked when I read your first post, thinking you were leaving the budds, and I'd just joined because of your posts!
You sound fantastic. All the best,
Kristin
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote