Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 01:25 AM   #61
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Yam-Yam,

Thanks for posting and sharing the wealth of information you gather! Really great, and just what I need to hear and read right now!

I've come to a dead stop after losing 9.9lbs and haven't even lost one ounce for the last 8 days. Usually my scale bounces, but now... NOTHING! No upward or downward signs... I think I have come to a rest for a bit. After reading what you posted, I'm in a good mood again, because I know I'll start losing again when I am ready with resting!

I am losing inches though... Hopefully that's a good sign!

xxx

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

UK/European LCF Hangout: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-1-2014-a.html
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I have to wonder though. If our bodies are not losing, or wanting a break, should we stay in WLM, or is it okay to move into maintenance for a few weeks or a month? My plan was to move into maintenance once I stop losing or slow to a crawl (which it appears I may be doing again), and enjoy it for a bit, then go back to WLM. But then I think about all those people who have stalled on whatever plan they were on, stuck it out, still following WLM, and then started moving again. Will I sabotage myself if I move over to maintenance?

Just my early morning ramblings, as I'm trying to sort this out for myself.

Anyone have a theory?

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #63

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I have to wonder though. If our bodies are not losing, or wanting a break, should we stay in WLM, or is it okay to move into maintenance for a few weeks or a month? My plan was to move into maintenance once I stop losing or slow to a crawl (which it appears I may be doing again), and enjoy it for a bit, then go back to WLM. But then I think about all those people who have stalled on whatever plan they were on, stuck it out, still following WLM, and then started moving again. Will I sabotage myself if I move over to maintenance?

Anyone have a theory?
It's a good question. My sense is that being in maintenance you might continue to lose slowly, but slowly is the key word. Going back into wlm should speed up the weight loss, but as to whether it'd speed up enough to keep up with or exceed what it would have been if you'd have stayed in wlm the whole time? No clue really, but my sense is no. That's sort of a calories in, calories out kind of thinking though, and I recognize that. Who knows really, we're all so individual and even if you try one way and then try the other there's no way to know for sure. Weight loss is a funny business, and the longer I do this the more I recognize that.

That was a long way to answer your question to say I have no idea. However, I do think that satisfaction with your WOE is critical, because it's crucial to staying on the WOE, which is eventually what gets us there. And again, we come back to it's not a race. Do what's sustainable, long term, and the weight will move when it's ready.

At least that's my take on it.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Quote:

Anyone have a theory?
There are two ways to answer this.

I have read from experts who say that just because the number on your scale takes a rest, it does not mean that the good work in your body has stopped. Fat stores are still being used up for energy when the body needs it.

Yesterday I read some really interesting stuff about how the hormone Leptin is stimulated by SIRT1 and SIRT 2 when they are activated. Leptin's job is to circulate through the blood stream and find it's way to the hypothalamus in the brain. There, Leptin receptors receive the message regarding energy needs for the body.

There seems to be a point in weight loss where the message received is "OMGosh! we are losing our energy stores! (stored fat). We must get them back! Slow down the loss!"

At that point, the metabolism slows down and the brain used every trick in the book to get us to gain back the weight.

Some weight loss gurus like Chris Powell suggest that when this happens, you do up your calories (maintenance) and cut back on workouts for at least a week or two. After say, two weeks, go back to WLM calories and you should see a drop. He didn't say anything about the scale dropping during that upped calorie period. But, it looks like some experience it and I imagine it's the brain receiving the message that there is no danger of famine.

I have not tried this yet.

Luna: looking at your daily weigh in numbers already in May, I know it was the right decision for you!

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 2000/400
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ellgee
Quote:

Anyone have a theory?
Your ramblings are my ramblings, Dawn!

I wonder if I change things up by adding more calories will my body respond by breaking out of this idle cycle I am in. But then, would I have started losing again if I just keep things going as they are?

No telling, is there? It is sooooooooooo frustrating!

I AM eating at a calorie deficit. Something should be happening!

GAHHHHH!
ellgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellgee View Post
Your ramblings are my ramblings, Dawn!

I wonder if I change things up by adding more calories will my body respond by breaking out of this idle cycle I am in. But then, would I have started losing again if I just keep things going as they are?

No telling, is there? It is sooooooooooo frustrating!

I AM eating at a calorie deficit. Something should be happening!

GAHHHHH!
Me too!!! After doing a bunch of reading today, I'm thinking I need to up my low impact cardio. There were a lot of articles suggesting that cardio burns subcutaneous fat pretty fast. WOEs for weight loss tend to burn more visceral fat. It's interesting. And, I'm feeling rebellious. I don't want to do more cardio. Lazy. I don't want to tweak my WOE either because I'm enjoying it. I'm just not gonna think about it for a few days. I'll decide next Monday if I'm going to tweak anything or not.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #67

I keep coming back to thinking it's time for a maintenance break, but I'm so worried about sabotaging myself. I've never done this well with my weight loss or lasted this long. I also think I'm feeling bad because I still haven't sorted out the thyroid thing and I have so little energy. It's really messing with my head. I'm going to keep thinking about it until the 12th. That will be 5 months on JUDDD, and I can see a bigger picture.

Thanks for the input Yam and Luna! One of these days I'm going to have it all figured out.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #68

Exercise. Now there's a novel concept! It may be time to start some of that.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #69

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
There are two ways to answer this.

I have read from experts who say that just because the number on your scale takes a rest, it does not mean that the good work in your body has stopped. Fat stores are still being used up for energy when the body needs it.

Yesterday I read some really interesting stuff about how the hormone Leptin is stimulated by SIRT1 and SIRT 2 when they are activated. Leptin's job is to circulate through the blood stream and find it's way to the hypothalamus in the brain. There, Leptin receptors receive the message regarding energy needs for the body.

There seems to be a point in weight loss where the message received is "OMGosh! we are losing our energy stores! (stored fat). We must get them back! Slow down the loss!"

At that point, the metabolism slows down and the brain used every trick in the book to get us to gain back the weight.

Some weight loss gurus like Chris Powell suggest that when this happens, you do up your calories (maintenance) and cut back on workouts for at least a week or two. After say, two weeks, go back to WLM calories and you should see a drop. He didn't say anything about the scale dropping during that upped calorie period. But, it looks like some experience it and I imagine it's the brain receiving the message that there is no danger of famine.

I have not tried this yet.

Luna: looking at your daily weigh in numbers already in May, I know it was the right decision for you!

Thank you. I lose like gangbusters normally during the first week of the month, it's where I see my biggest and fastest drops. Last month I lost almost six pounds in five days and hit new lows on three consecutive days during this week. I don't expect that this month.

I'm dropping slowly right now, but I'm not thinking this is typical for maintenance for me, I suspect later on in the month I'll be logging the same weight over and over and over.

But that's going to be okay with me. It's the trade-off I'm choosing.

And technically I am still in wlm, my DD numbers are in the 35-40% wlm range for me. I'm raising them slowly. So the whole, "results may not be typical" really applies here, I think.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Dawn: Just when we think we have it all figured out, we don't!! Your 57 pound loss amazes me!!! Unlike you I have no good excuse for whatever is messing with my head right now. Maybe it's spring time craziness. Or, it's just the usual self-doubt I have after losing a good amount of weight. There is this little devil that says, "see, you really cannot do this. you will never reach your goal." How does one go about murdering a little devil voice?? Maybe some rat poison??

Luna: I remembered you saying that last month about a pattern of WL earlier in the month so you seem to lose-maintain-lose-maintain. It's just your body's cycle right now. But I think you are doing great!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: annieS
WOE: vegetarian/JUDDD
Start Date: january to march 2011 / 2nd start 16 feb 2012
This post is so interesting !
Thank you YamYam for starting the thread !

I think I might try a little WLM break / maintenance break too, as my weight doesn't seem to move anymore.

I've had a proper DD today, saturday will be a high-ish DD, i'll try to have 3 DD next week before heading to Bordeaux for a 4 days weekend... that will be my little break, let's hope the weight loss will start again after that !!!
annieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #72
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annieS View Post
This post is so interesting !
Thank you YamYam for starting the thread !

I think I might try a little WLM break / maintenance break too, as my weight doesn't seem to move anymore.

I've had a proper DD today, saturday will be a high-ish DD, i'll try to have 3 DD next week before heading to Bordeaux for a 4 days weekend... that will be my little break, let's hope the weight loss will start again after that !!!
Enjoy your holiday in Bordeaux! That sounds heavenly!
Old 06-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow! I took time to read all the interesting posts on this thread over again this afternoon. I just got back from a two week vacation and am looking for all kinds of motivation.

Seeing how some of you have dropped significant amounts of MORE weight since your posts here has really motivated and encouraged me!!!!

This week will be a test. For about the first 4 days or so on vacation I was doing a fast-5 type WOE because we had a lot of dinners to attend. It was easy for me to skip breakfast, drink lots of water and eat a small lunch (mostly salads). Then I just let go in the evenings, tried to choose nutritious main dishes like fish and chicken, but really no restrictions. Just let my hunger dictate. I did not gain or lose any weight.

The last 7 days of vacation was more like a free-for-all! We had several "mini" family reunions and there was endless food and more food. By the last day/night I had thrown caution to the wind. Started the morning with a pancake breakfast at my sister's church. Sausage, ham, bacon, eggs and endless pancakes! Later I had a piece of coconut cream pie and some other kind of cream pie (not sure what it was? Cheese cake filling with extra cream?? It sure was good though!)

I truly have been on a carb high and wondered if I could ever talk myself down.

Even though I took my travel scale along with me, somewhere in the middle of my trip I stopped weighing. I have a huge family. There were so many relatives to visit with that I got very little sleep.

I know sleep deprivation affects weight and the numbers on the scale. Honestly, I didn't want to face it.

Back home now I weighed in, finally. I'm 6 pounds up from my low weight. Bummer. But, it was all a conscious choice and I enjoyed my family and the food.

Dr. J says the fat burning and metabolism revving of JUDD can remain in our systems for up to 14 days. I really need that to be true!!!

Today has been a good solid DD so far and I'm planning to stick with it. If I see a nice drop tomorrow morning, I think I can safely believe the magic was with me and my body is ready to rev up the sirtuins and get going again. If I am disciplined enough to get right back in to good rotations at the right calorie count and get the 6 pounds off quickly and then keep losing a bit more, the "experiment" will have worked.

What I mean by that is the experiment of upping calories for a time and then diving back into WLM.

I will definitely keep you all posted! It's good to be back!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #74

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
You will be right back in the game in no time Yam- Yam. So glad you enjoyed so much time with your wonderful extended family.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:12 PM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Welcome back!

I was away on a vaca with food-food-food too. Gained 3.4 pounds. The first DD back was wonderful. It was like my body wanted the cleansing and simplicity of very low cal. I have been back for three DDs and not only was transitioning back very much like coming home, but the vacation weight is gone and I am about to post a new low (need to see it one more time before I 'believe' it).

You CAN do it!!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #76
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
You will be right back in the game in no time Yam- Yam. So glad you enjoyed so much time with your wonderful extended family.
Thanks, Kissa! I posted a few photos of me with my four sisters on my profile page. I'm the youngest of the five of us. It was tough seeing one sister advancing with Alzheimer's disease and another dealing with the convulsions of Chorea. Doctors still have not found the cause, but they are still doing lots of tests so we are all hopeful for some improvement. They both seemed very happy and content and that's important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Welcome back!

I was away on a vaca with food-food-food too. Gained 3.4 pounds. The first DD back was wonderful. It was like my body wanted the cleansing and simplicity of very low cal. I have been back for three DDs and not only was transitioning back very much like coming home, but the vacation weight is gone and I am about to post a new low (need to see it one more time before I 'believe' it).

You CAN do it!!
Wow, Nancy! You got right back in the swing of things for sure. I'm hoping for positive results like yours. This DD has felt really good just like you said. My body is kinda going "Ahhhhhhhhh...." and relaxing back into JUDD. Now to get back to the gym tomorrow! I can do this!

And you have a new low!!! How awesome! I'm so happy for you and proud of you. Look at you go! You are shrinking still!
Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #77
CC3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CC3
Stats: 5'7" - 202/198/148
Start Date: May 2012
I'm glad this thread got bumped. Being a newbie, it was good to read.
CC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Abby
Stats: 5'7";197_'09;167/139/132_'12
WOE: LC/VLC
Very interesting post, Yam-Yam.

In my own experience, I have NOT experienced any so-called "Weight Rebound Reaction". In 2009, I lost 60 lbs over 6 months in a VERY steady progression. Sure, I had 2-3 day stalls during which I'd lose nothing. Then a big whoosh would follow. I went from 197 to 137 and am certain that I would have continued to lose if I maintained my Stillman program.

This time I have NOT averaged 10 lbs/month simply because of periodic cheats. When I've stalled, it was at my OWN hands, not a reaction from my body.

Good Luck,
Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #79
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby View Post
Very interesting post, Yam-Yam.

In my own experience, I have NOT experienced any so-called "Weight Rebound Reaction". In 2009, I lost 60 lbs over 6 months in a VERY steady progression. Sure, I had 2-3 day stalls during which I'd lose nothing. Then a big whoosh would follow. I went from 197 to 137 and am certain that I would have continued to lose if I maintained my Stillman program.

This time I have NOT averaged 10 lbs/month simply because of periodic cheats. When I've stalled, it was at my OWN hands, not a reaction from my body.

Good Luck,
Abby: Wowzers! Congratulations on losing so much with Stillman's. I don't know how old you are, but I'm 57 and post menopausal. When I was much younger, Stillman was my go-to WOE and kept me slim all my life. I never had a problem sticking with it back then and it always worked for me. When the hormone crazies of change-of-life issues hit, it didn't work any more.

I would stick to it for weeks, no cheats, and maybe lose a pound or two. It made me so grumpy and brought on headaches and I felt out of sorts. One small cheat and that pound would come back and bring 3 more. Then I would start all over with the same results. (Definition of insanity, huh?)

Finally, finally, finally, when the hot flashes stopped and I started feeling like my old self again (and was at my highest weight ever of 230) I discovered the Dukan Diet book in July of last year. I read the Attack chapters over and over to really get it in my head. The way he writes, the info backing up his plan and the examples of results reminded me of Dr. Stillman's QWL book.

I dove in on August 1st 2011 not believing it would really work. Ten days later I was down 14 pounds!!! Really could not believe it. I moved into the Cruise phase and continued to lose without that first 14 ever coming back!

But, eventually, even though I didn't cheat, the weight loss slowed, then came to a halt and even crept up 3 pounds.

I stumbled on JUDD just because I was on the LCF site, saw the acronym and wondered: what the heck does that mean???

I spent days just reading and reading before coming on and asking a question or 2. I bought Johnson's book, did some Web research and man, do I love this!!!

My philosophy now is that you can't always go back to what worked for you in the past. You have to keep learning. If you need a hybrid of different plans, so be it. I do what works for me.

Right now, JUDD is working for me! I'm enjoying it and seriously feel like this can be a plan for the rest of my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC3 View Post
I'm glad this thread got bumped. Being a newbie, it was good to read.
Glad you enjoyed these posts like I have. We need all the encouragement we can get, right? And, for encouragement and motivation there is no better place than the LCFs and the JUDD BUDDs!!!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Monday hugs!!!
I'm yoyoing the same six pounds right up to my (mental-health) danger zone, which is annoying but okay if I don't gain. I know my body is working. I have been in a bathing suit every week for about the last month now. Pretty good incentive to work on health!
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 AM   #81
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
Monday hugs!!!
I'm yoyoing the same six pounds right up to my (mental-health) danger zone, which is annoying but okay if I don't gain. I know my body is working. I have been in a bathing suit every week for about the last month now. Pretty good incentive to work on health!
Lou: I hear you on swimsuit motivation! I put mine on yesterday and had a short pool work out late afternoon. I like how I look from the front and back, but not liking my profile right now. I need a smaller waist! It was 34 before vacation and is now 35 and looks poochy!

I'll bet YOU look great! You are probably only a pound or so away from an ideal weight for your height.

I know the scale can drive us nuts when we so want it to go down and stay down. We just have to keep plugging along here. The alternative is to give up and then gain. UGH! We shall have none of that!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotitnow View Post
Hey Yam Yam. I'm late getting here today (as usual lately)but can't help adding.....can you and everyone imagine how hard it would be (even though this is a simple plan to follow) to stay "hooked-up" if when these resting times hit, we didn't have all the great examples of what to expect and wonderfully informative info provided by our fav resident info "junkie"???
I can tell you exactly what would happen. A four-pound gain overnight, followed by another pound the next night, would launch a depression/frustration induced two-evening carb binge, turning most of what was very obviously all water weight (pre-TOM and no cheating at that point) into actual blob weight. Yup, guess how I know that...

And that was even knowing/experiencing/expecting stalls and bumps are normal AND knowing logically that the original version of the weight was water. But yes, knowledge is power and this makes it all make perfect sense; it also confirms that these rough patches are not our fault but we can certainly choose whether or not to compound them and make them permanent with poor choices.

Encouraging a food addict to "just have one treat, so you'll stay motivated and on track" is like encouraging an alcoholic to just have one drink so they won't fall off the wagon.
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargeGunderson
Stats: 178/130/120
WOE: LC; LG, no wheat, VVLS(ugar)
Start Date: Feb. 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post

I feel the same way about bowling when we lose all 6 points. I say 'eh, losing on top of paying for it all adds injury to insult'.

Of course, that has nothing to do with losing weight, although it just may, cause my bowling has improved even with an 11 lb. decrease!
That bowling ball is probably pretty close in size to the 11-pound decrease you earned yourself, so every time you wind back and throw it now, feel the victory, and the power you have over this journey and goal! Feel exactly how much more you were carrying around before this, and enjoy the symbolism of continuing to throw away all of the excess, 11 pounds at a time.

Last edited by MargeGunderson; 06-08-2012 at 08:56 PM..
MargeGunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Carly
Stats: 199/120.0/126.8 5'2" 38yrs Size 20/4P
WOE: JUDDD/ 5:2 to maintain
Start Date: 2/21/12- Low carb (199lbs) 3/28/12 JUDDD (189lbs)
Thanks Yam Yam. That does explain a lot. I lost 28lbs between 2/21/12 and
5/12/12. Last 3 weeks it has been a bounce between 173-171, but won't budge below 171 for anything. But I can understand that my body needs a *rest* even though I continue to see re-shaping changes and better clothing fit. I think that is the JUDDD magic. I'll admit it... it's discouraging not to see the scale move even though I see other changes.
Thanks again, Carly
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #85
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargeGunderson View Post
I can tell you exactly what would happen. A four-pound gain overnight, followed by another pound the next night, would launch a depression/frustration induced two-evening carb binge, turning most of what was very obviously all water weight (pre-TOM and no cheating at that point) into actual blob weight. Yup, guess how I know that...

And that was even knowing/experiencing/expecting stalls and bumps are normal AND knowing logically that the original version of the weight was water. But yes, knowledge is power and this makes it all make perfect sense; it also confirms that these rough patches are not our fault but we can certainly choose whether or not to compound them and make them permanent with poor choices.
I can totally relate to what you are saying! On more restrictive WL plans in the past when I stopped losing I gave up. I figured what's the use and went back to old habits and regained all the weight pretty quickly plus more. This time, I'm just realizing that it's my body's natural defense mechanism. I'm not losing fast. But I'm not gaining at all. Ever. That's awesome! I love JUDD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly View Post
Thanks Yam Yam. That does explain a lot. I lost 28lbs between 2/21/12 and
5/12/12. Last 3 weeks it has been a bounce between 173-171, but won't budge below 171 for anything. But I can understand that my body needs a *rest* even though I continue to see re-shaping changes and better clothing fit. I think that is the JUDDD magic. I'll admit it... it's discouraging not to see the scale move even though I see other changes.
Thanks again, Carly
You are so right about the magic of inches lost. It amazes me. I have a body monitor scale. My fat percentage has gone down and stayed down. Lean muscle mass has gone UP and is staying up! This is good stuff!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #86
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
Quote:
Lou: I hear you on swimsuit motivation! I put mine on yesterday and had a short pool work out late afternoon. I like how I look from the front and back, but not liking my profile right now. I need a smaller waist! It was 34 before vacation and is now 35 and looks poochy!

I'll bet YOU look great! You are probably only a pound or so away from an ideal weight for your height.

I know the scale can drive us nuts when we so want it to go down and stay down. We just have to keep plugging along here. The alternative is to give up and then gain. UGH! We shall have none of that!!!
I'm about 40 pounds from a comfortable weight for me really. Small bones. Even in upper 120s I have a poochy old lady cat belly. My skinny genes need to kick back in hard. My belly is a sore trial to me, and my flabby legs touching freaks me out. Working on it though! Biking to work, getting in walking and other gentle exercise where I can. I don't have that gorgeous musculature like you do - very low muscle tone. bah.
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #87
Blabbermouth!!!

"On this subject, you need to know that the body puts up little resistance to the loss of the first few pounds. It has a greater reaction when the plundering of its fat reserves becomes more threatening...

Beyond the first 2 months of weight loss, the curve (loss) decreases progressively because of a metabolic defense mechanism" -Dr. Pierre Dukan (page 74)

That's the weight rebound response and why we need to maintain our losses!! When we are still doing everything right and stop losing, it's soooooo important not to give up or fall back into bad habits. It's not the time to be discouraged.

Instead, it's time to celebrate the loss we have already gained. It may be time to step things up, change things up, confuse the body, turn your daily 30 minute walk into a 60 minute walk, tweak your calories....

But it's not time to be frustrated and give up!

After a time of maintaining, the body will have a new set point. It won't keep trying to gain back all the losses and go back to your highest weight.

At that time, renewed efforts will be rewarded and the weight will start falling off again.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_lou_who View Post
I'm about 40 pounds from a comfortable weight for me really. Small bones. Even in upper 120s I have a poochy old lady cat belly. My skinny genes need to kick back in hard. My belly is a sore trial to me, and my flabby legs touching freaks me out. Working on it though! Biking to work, getting in walking and other gentle exercise where I can. I don't have that gorgeous musculature like you do - very low muscle tone. bah.
Lou: Muscles make all the difference! You are doing the right thing in building them up and will be surprised at how much more you can weigh and look even THINNER than you did at the low weight.

A friend of ours was visiting and saw my wedding picture on the piano. "You have lost a lot of weight since you got married. How did you do it?"

I was shocked that she would say that!!!

At the time of her comment, I weighed 165 but was working out every single day with cardio and weight lifting and swimming.

Guess how much I weighed on my wedding day? 125!!! But I had never worked out a day in my life!!!

It was after the birth of my first baby that I joined a gym for the first time and got hooked. Working out is what gave me the muscular legs. I'm grateful that I discovered the gym and always had access. It makes all the difference for me.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CharlotteChick
Stats: 164/147/140
WOE: Post-hcg/high fat/low carbs
Start Date: JUDD: March 27, 2012 :-)
Quote:
Very helpful, as usual, Yam! Thank you!
Yes, thank you!
CharlotteChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CharlotteChick
Stats: 164/147/140
WOE: Post-hcg/high fat/low carbs
Start Date: JUDD: March 27, 2012 :-)
Quote:
"

But it's not time to be frustrated and give up!

After a time of maintaining, the body will have a new set point. It won't keep trying to gain back all the losses and go back to your highest weight.

At that time, renewed efforts will be rewarded and the weight will start falling off again.
Promise?
CharlotteChick is offline   Reply With Quote