Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Minding Your Mitochondria, Terry Wahls

Has anyone heard of Terry Wahls, a doctor who came down with the most severe form of MS? She tried conventional treatment but was getting worse and worse. She began to research medical journals and revisit subjects she'd learned in medical school, as well as teach herself nutrition for the brain. The result was a way of eating that improved her life drastically, as well as many patients.

It's not that the foods she suggests are something we haven't heard of before (similar to paleo or other LC or even Dr. Perricone), but just hearing her talk and learning more about it made it sink into my brain finally how very important our diet is. I have been guilty of taking it for granted for a long time, but lately some health things of my own (GI stuff mostly, as well as wanting to reduce inflammation further) have forced me to think harder about it. Micronutrition from food is vastly important, and if I want to look and feel my best I need to embrace it. I'm not becoming a "health nut" or going radical, just trying to do a little better than I was, particularly with veggies. (I have already reduced dairy before I read about this woe).

It's not just a woe for those with MS, but with anyone who just wants to prevent inflammation and be healthier. Of course, these are foods that can easily be included in the JUDDD woe to make it even more powerful. Here are some of the foods she promotes. (When in doubt, eat kale, lol).

Nine cups of veggies & fruits daily which includes:
-3 c. daily of greens like kale, spinach, collard, swiss chard, etc.
-3 c. daily of sulfur veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, cabbages, radishes, onion, garlic, mushrooms, etc.
-3 c. daily of color vegs and fruits
-organ meat 1 x week
-fish 1 or 2 x week
-seaweed

There's a lot more to it, but those are some of the recommendations. I like that she isn't saying to do anything that is difficult. I mean, you can cook your foods and have casseroles and everything, so it just doesn't mean the food has to be raw or no animal products. She does have recs to cut out dairy and grains, but that is up to the individual, particularly if one does not have MS or other disease where the treatment would need to be more extreme.

There are so many good points she makes and reasons behind eating these foods, but I thought I'd just give links for some of the videos.

Here is her Ted talk:

Food as Medicine part 1 (you can watch all the other parts too)

She has a website and a book, which unfortunately doesn't seem to be available on Kindle. Some good reviews for it on the big book site.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I get what you're saying about taking control of one's health, although, there is little chance of me consuming 9 c produce daily.....that is something that can cause me GI upset.

The thing about Dr Wahls diet is that she gave up a lot of 'foods' so I never knew if her health improved from what she added or what she took away.

No matter what, it is amazing the way she changed.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
I get what you're saying about taking control of one's health, although, there is little chance of me consuming 9 c produce daily.....that is something that can cause me GI upset.

The thing about Dr Wahls diet is that she gave up a lot of 'foods' so I never knew if her health improved from what she added or what she took away.

No matter what, it is amazing the way she changed.
Yes, I don't know about 9 c. either. I'm just counting to try to get about 9 "servings" as in, 1 carrot, 1 apple, 1 handful greens, etc. instead of actual cups. Because that is still an improvement over what I was eating, lol.

I don't think she's as strict with giving up foods as she was when she was actively reversing her disease, just something I picked up somewhere so I don't know if it's true, but read that she was eating some grains now, for example.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
But veggies take up a lot of room so 9 actual cups might surprise us as to how much it really is. I am amazed at her progress though.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
At least the greens reduce quite a bit when cooked. I don't know if she juiced.......can't remember.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
I used to frequent a Joel Furhman board (plant based vegan eating) even though I've never eaten that way a day in my life. Lol BUT a lot of those folks made "micro salads" as a way to get in the copious amounts of veggie matter. They'd pulse veggies in a food processor and stop somewhere between whole veggie and baby food.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Thanks Sophie for all the info. Most people don't realize that many of our present day medicines are actually derived from plants, like digitalis for heart problems comes from the fox glove flower.There is so much power to be gained from Mother Earth. As an aromatherapist, I work with products derived from flowers, leaves, roots etc... all the time. Even in tiny amounts essential oils can have powerful effects on us in so many positive ways. I teach an online beginning aromatherapy class at CourseBridge College if anyone is interested. Although most essential oils are for external use, a few can be used sparingly for cooking to add wonderful flavor, lavender vanilla sugar cookies anyone?
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote