Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Goal Weight, Body Frame and stuff?

Being 5'9" with a large frame, I set my goal weight at 180. However, I find myself feeling embarrassed when I see others, some even at 5'10" who have a much lower goal weight listed under their avatar.

How did you choose your goal weight? Did you base it on age/gender/height/frame? Or did you just look at a chart somewhere and choose?

What do you think is the best way to determine "ideal body weight"?
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I picked the weight I was when DH and I started dating. At the time I thought I was HUGE! Looking back at pictures, I looked healthy, though maybe slightly pudgy. I figure once I get back to that weight, I can reassess and see if I need to lose more or not. It's kind of arbitrary I guess.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #3

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I am wondering this too. I am 5'3" and have a medium/large frame (according to the measurement method you posted in the other thread). I have big feet, too, size 10.

The high end of my "ideal" weight range would be about 135 according to charts and stuff. And I was there in high school (thought I was fat because I had a poochy belly). I don't know if that's sustainable for me now though--I'm almost 49 and have been so overweight I don't know what that does to metabolism or skin stretching or any of that. I picked 150 partly because it was a nice round number, because it was half of my starting weight, and because it seemed a fantasy. Now that I'm getting closer I'm wondering. How will I know when to stop?

Maybe this is another thread, maybe this goes along with what you're talking about. When I'm dressed, I think I look pretty hot. I have certain assets, shall we say, that I don't want to see go away, and if I get too much smaller, just might. I like being a curvy girl.

When I'm undressed, I think wow I have a long way to go! so I don't know.

I guess the best way to determine it is to see how I feel at that weight and decide then. A number is just a number. More important to me is how I look and feel, and can I maintain this weight without strain. That would be my criteria. Not some chart.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I lost down to 144 almost 10 years ago and I liked that weight so that is why I chose 145 as my goal weight. I will be happy there although it is 15 pounds more than I was at age 40.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
I didn't even put that info in my profile bc I am already tired of numbers! ha.

The thing is, weight really is meaningless. It's all about how you look and feel. For example, I have a coworker with a KILLER body. I was so sure she weighed about 115. I was floored when she told me she weighs 130. So really, unless you wear your weight on your forehead, it really is irrelevant!
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Maybe this is another thread, maybe this goes along with what you're talking about. When I'm dressed, I think I look pretty hot. I have certain assets, shall we say, that I don't want to see go away, and if I get too much smaller, just might. I like being a curvy girl.

Luna: No, it's for THIS thread. That's exactly the stuff I want to talk about right now.

I have really big sliding closet door mirrors. (Ceiling to floor, like wall-to-wall). I'm not ashamed to say I look at myself naked every day! Right now, I really like how I look naked almost more than dressed. The workouts are giving me a very flat tummy. My waist is getting smaller. So are my hips and thighs.

Not a big fan of the droopy girls. But what can an old lady do?? I still think the cup size is too big and keep telling myself since breast tissue is mainly made up of fat cells, they are gonna have to start shrinking at some point. I will be grateful when they shrink some.

I don't think I look good in photos yet. When I can see a photograph of myself and think, wow, I look good, then I'll know I'm getting somewhere.

Maybe when I get to 180 I'll decide I need to go lower. In my mind right now, I'm planning to get to that 180 mark and try maintaining it for a while before aggressively trying to go lower. But, if I feel good and I'm healthy at that weight, I could decide to just work hard to maintain it and if I "accidentally" go lower as some have done with JUDD I will.

My plan is to keep JUDDing forever because I love it.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

I do not believe weight is meaningless.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickicaps View Post

The thing is, weight really is meaningless. It's all about how you look and feel. For example, I have a coworker with a KILLER body. I was so sure she weighed about 115. I was floored when she told me she weighs 130. So really, unless you wear your weight on your forehead, it really is irrelevant!
If weight is meaningless, then why are so many people trying to lose weight. You included.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I lost down to 144 almost 10 years ago and I liked that weight so that is why I chose 145 as my goal weight. I will be happy there although it is 15 pounds more than I was at age 40.
Adi: You are really getting close to goal!!! You are doing soooooo great!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #11

Adi, I kinda do think the number is meaningless.

My mother weighs about the same as I do. Our number is the same. I look like I weigh about fifty pounds less than she does. She is very fluffy and I am very dense. Sizewise, I am in a 14 and she wears 1X. I do a lot more and more intense exercise than she does (she is in a wheelchair, so she has a good excuse).

So what does 180 look like? Me, or my mother? Or somewhere in between? I think that's what nicki is meaning when she says weight is meaningless. It's pretty individual.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I set my goal weight to what I thought I would look and feel the best at and how my body always wanted to stay; 145.

Well, I hit that goal and my body just kept on going until I got 11 pounds below that 145. I'm now between 135 and 137 and I'm fine with that. It is also the weight that helps the wrinkles not to show as much but give me that thin and trim look that I like.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #13

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
I don't weigh myself, me and the scale, we don't get along! the weight I would like to get to is 165. I am 5'8" tall and large framed. 165 is just right. Time will tell!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Nicki: I totally get what you mean. It's like Kissa always says, "you see your scale; the world sees you" or something like that.

I vividly remember going back to Pennsylvania one time many years ago to see my family. One of my nieces is my same age and we grew up like twins. At that time I was on a strict workout routine and had very toned muscle definition. She saw me in shorts and a little halter top. "You are so skinny!! What do you weigh? 120?"

I totally laughed her off and said of course not! But, I did not tell her that I weighed 155!!! On another occassion we were on a camping trip with friends and goofing around at the pool. A friend's teenaged buff son snuck up behind my lounge chair and all of a sudden picked me up to toss me in the pool.

"OMG!" he said, "You are so much heavier than you look!!!" He told me he thought I would be light as a feather because I was so thin!!

So, it's true that if you are healthy and look as thin as you want to, scale numbers don't matter.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #15

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I set my goal weight to what I thought I would look and feel the best at and how my body always wanted to stay; 145.

Well, I hit that goal and my body just kept on going until I got 11 pounds below that 145. I'm now between 135 and 137 and I'm fine with that. It is also the weight that helps the wrinkles not to show as much but give me that thin and trim look that I like.
That is me I am used to hanging out at 133, the weight I have been whenever I diet and land. I thought that would be where I would like to be. Then with hcg, I decided to try for lower. I have had 4 kids since I have been 133, and don't quite look the same as I did when I was younger. But with the hcg you can get down lower than you originally thought. I thought, why not me? And I thought that I would try it. I did and was thrilled!! I am trying to get back down to 115 after some major life events that have gotten in the way since hitting my goal. I am almost there
Old 04-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
Adi, I kinda do think the number is meaningless.

My mother weighs about the same as I do. Our number is the same. I look like I weigh about fifty pounds less than she does. She is very fluffy and I am very dense. Sizewise, I am in a 14 and she wears 1X. I do a lot more and more intense exercise than she does (she is in a wheelchair, so she has a good excuse).

So what does 180 look like? Me, or my mother? Or somewhere in between? I think that's what nicki is meaning when she says weight is meaningless. It's pretty individual.
I really, really like this. You hit on something. My very best girlfriend in the world is much shorter than I am. She is 5'2". Three years ago she joined Weight Watchers and faithfully goes to meetings. She has lost 75 pounds and wants to lose 20 more.

In December we went out to lunch and then went to Macy's for a bit of girly clothing shopping.

Since we were both wearing a size 12 jeans, we grabbed some size 12 jeans and jeans capris with rhinestones and hand painting down one leg. Very cute. (getting side tracked by cute clothes here in my story!)

Anyway, since the capris were on a clearance rack, we just grabbed one pair and went into the same large dressing room. I slipped them on, button, zip, comfortable. She could hardly get them over her hips and and could not button or zip them. They were not the stretchy spandex material. Just denim.

She actually weighs 40 pounds less than I do right now and carries all her weight in her hips and rear end. She wears a size small on top; I wear a medium. She is totally flat chested. I'm a triple D.

She is 8 years older than I am. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But definitely the seven inches of height makes a difference and so does the fact that I have a flat butt and a flat tummy and carry my weight evenly distributed all over.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If weight is meaningless, then why are so many people trying to lose weight. You included.

I guess that was a poor choice of words, sorry.

I have looked better at 150 then I did at 135 because at 135 I hadn't worked out much and at 150 I had lots of lean muscle. I think the point I poorly was trying to make is that I would rather go by how I look and feel than by a number. This is why I haven't weighed myself yet and frankly, if I am back into the "look" I want then the weight IS meaningless to me.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

End of story: I bought the bling capris and love them! She did not. thought you might want to know.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I do not believe weight is meaningless.
Differing opinions and our right to have them is what makes the world go round
Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post

Beeb: And, you look so awesome! I hope what happens to you happens to me and I get to goal and then lose a bit more. I love what you said about "helps the wrinkles not show". lol. I cut out a Loretta cartoon a long time ago from the newspaper. It said, "Loretta stopped using wrinkle cream. She just overeats to keep her skin tight."

Two years ago we were in Hawaii and hanging out at the pool. There was a very emaciated lady (that's the only way I can describe it) with white hair who looked very old and kinda like a walking skeleton with very, very wrinkly skin all over. she was wearing the tiniest bikini in the world, so nothing was left to the imagination unfortunately. But she was flaunting it like she "knew she looked good" like a runway model or something.

I had the urge to walk over to her and say, "EAT SOMETHING!"

I know I should not be judgemental because when you don't know someone, you don't know if it could be health related. I just knew right then and there that God willing, I never want to be that skinny. Healthy thin is good. Skeleton thin is bad. Especially the older we get.

Last edited by Yam-Yam; 04-25-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
Being 5'9" with a large frame, I set my goal weight at 180. However, I find myself feeling embarrassed when I see others, some even at 5'10" who have a much lower goal weight listed under their avatar.

How did you choose your goal weight? Did you base it on age/gender/height/frame? Or did you just look at a chart somewhere and choose?

What do you think is the best way to determine "ideal body weight"?
Like Beeb, I set my goal weight at 145# because through my adult life, my body liked the 140s and looked good there. I went with 145# specifically because it wasn't too low that it would be hard to maintain, but it wasn't so high in the 140s that some weight creep would mean the 150s were back again....

I also continued to lose in maintenance without intending to, and have been maintaining effortlessly between 135 - 140 (usually I'm right at 137 or 138 everyday with the occasional bounces up or down the range).

Like the others have said, I think it's best to choose a size for your body that looks best on you and that you feel best with, not just a number that would be so low it might not look right on a person anymore or would be too hard to maintain.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yam-Yam View Post
I really, really like this. You hit on something. My very best girlfriend in the world is much shorter than I am. She is 5'2". Three years ago she joined Weight Watchers and faithfully goes to meetings. She has lost 75 pounds and wants to lose 20 more.

In December we went out to lunch and then went to Macy's for a bit of girly clothing shopping.

Since we were both wearing a size 12 jeans, we grabbed some size 12 jeans and jeans capris with rhinestones and hand painting down one leg. Very cute. (getting side tracked by cute clothes here in my story!)

Anyway, since the capris were on a clearance rack, we just grabbed one pair and went into the same large dressing room. I slipped them on, button, zip, comfortable. She could hardly get them over her hips and and could not button or zip them. They were not the stretchy spandex material. Just denim.

She actually weighs 40 pounds less than I do right now and carries all her weight in her hips and rear end. She wears a size small on top; I wear a medium. She is totally flat chested. I'm a triple D.

She is 8 years older than I am. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But definitely the seven inches of height makes a difference and so does the fact that I have a flat butt and a flat tummy and carry my weight evenly distributed all over.
Love the story. And the descriptions of cute clothes.

Yeah, obviously, my mother is older than I am but we're about the same height--she's an inch taller, maybe. We have very similar body type. Chesty, hippy, hourglass shape.

She also was very heavy in the past and so was I. We've both lost a significant amount of weight, so have similar metabolism and skin issues. Aside from the age, it's a pretty close match. Yet we look so very different. I lay all the cause on the difference in exercise levels.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I guess that was a poor choice of words, sorry.

I have looked better at 150 then I did at 135 because at 135 I hadn't worked out much and at 150 I had lots of lean muscle. I think the point I poorly was trying to make is that I would rather go by how I look and feel than by a number. This is why I haven't weighed myself yet and frankly, if I am back into the "look" I want then the weight IS meaningless to me.

Truth in this, for sure!!! Another story: On my wedding day, I had crash dieted my way down to 125, lowest weight I remember being in my life and it probably only lasted for a day. No exercise though.

In my 30's an old friend of DH's that I did not know brought his wife for a visit to our home in California from Minnesota. She saw our wedding picture on the piano and said, "Wow, you weighed a lot more in your wedding picture. How did you lose all the weight?"

All I could do was say, "Huh?" because she was looking at me at 155! But with a regular workout routine!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Well i chose a number i thought i could never have reached, Based off of height. bone size. i chose the top number instaed of the lowest one.. so 170 should be good i think??? Funny thing is.. i may not stop there if i dont like what i see
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I feel like it is way too personal to choose from charts or recommendations. Each body is so unique. I know what my historic weights are and the shape I was in then, which gives me a good idea.
I don't set a long term goal weight, I barely do five pound increments, or just the goal to get into the next size, or just to get a specific measurement lower (I really want my natural waist back in the 20s not 30s) and I am getting very close.
I want the belly fat and saggy fat arms gone.

I was kind of going to start a thread about this topic, because a friend said to me a while back after she had lost a ton of weight that she was "skinny fat" - she looked small, but looked awful out of full coverage clothing. And she regained all the weight with more probably at least partly due to losing muscle but keeping the skinny fat. I see scrawny junkie-looking women sometimes and remind myself that thin is not the goal, or at least not the only goal, because it isn't pretty or healthy all by itself. Frequently it is more unhealthy than overweight.
I want health, and I love that the judddbudds primarily are interested in long term health as the goal!!!

Last edited by b_lou_who; 04-25-2012 at 12:12 PM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
It really does depend on so many factors (exercise, food choices, age, hormones, metabolism, stress, how many times we've regained and lost, etc.), because I've hit the same weights on the way up and on the way down so many times in practically 20 years of active dieting and weight gain/loss, but I swear my actual size at those same weight numbers were so wildly different depending on body composition at that particular time. It just depended on where my body liked to rearrange the fat at any particular time.

I think it's a good idea to just go with whatever you think feels and looks the best, and are comfortable and in good health with. Whether it's a lower or higher number than you'd expected doesn't really matter so much.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Lou: I so agree with you!! when I started looking at this forum in December (had never heard of IF!) and read especially some of Pat's threads, I just could hardly believe all the health benefits of alternate day fasting.

Now I'm experiencing them and so is DH. Improved health in every way. that's a better goal than a number on a scale any day!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
It really does depend on so many factors (exercise, food choices, age, hormones, metabolism, stress, how many times we've regained and lost, etc.), because I've hit the same weights on the way up and on the way down so many times in practically 20 years of active dieting and weight gain/loss, but I swear my actual size at those same weight numbers were so wildly different depending on body composition at that particular time. It just depended on where my body liked to rearrange the fat at any particular time.

I think it's a good idea to just go with whatever you think feels and looks the best, and are comfortable and in good health with. Whether it's a lower or higher number than you'd expected doesn't really matter so much.
True! On all counts! I was just saying on another thread that for a fact the last time I was at this weight I wore a size 14! I recently gave away the very size 14 jeans I bought back then. Last time I was at Macy's and tried on a size 12 jeans that were soooooo cute and they were too big I couldn't believe it. I asked the sales lady to bring me a 10 and she said "Yippee!" and so did I when I slipped right into them and they looked good on me!

She and I had a whole discussion about ways to lose weight and I told her about Dr. J's book and JUDD.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cartersmommy
Stats: 230/194/180 5'10"
WOE: Atkins, started JUDDD April 14/12
Start Date: May 30, 2005/restart Jan 29, 2012
YamYam I'm like you, tall with larger frame. I can now wear some size 12s bottoms but still need a 14 occasionally. Upstairs I'm still a Large thanks to D-cup girls and back fat!!Figuring there are about 10 pounds per size (and I started at 230 lbs size 18) I subtracted 50 lbs to reach a goal of size 8/10, but for a truly comfortable 8 I think I'd need to be down to 170.

My older sis is about 5'8" and weighs between 150-160 and wears an 8 (or maybe a 6).

36 pounds and 22 inches lost since Feb 1/12
cartersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/180/167
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011- renewed efforts 8/1/2014
Yam Yam, I am 5'9 too and when I started I chose 182 as my goal weight. Because I remembered weighing 182 once and thinking I looked good.
And I thought the same thing- why is it I want to get to 182 and other people can get to 160?!?!?

So, I got to 182 and decided I wanted to lose more...so my weight goal kept changing.

Now I am between 160 and 165. And I still see that other people my height are much smaller. I've just come to realize that with my large frame this is just the way it is going to be for me. I look good and I feel good and that's just how it is for me.

There are still days I see people who weigh 140 and wish I weighed that...but most of the time I realize it is not my body type and how I am supposed to be!

I think your ideal weight is where you look and feel good.
Psmileyf is online now   Reply With Quote