Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Lower Carb/JUDDD
Resveratrol, the good and the bad!

Sophiethecat suggested that a discussion we were having in the april daily chat become its own thread. I am taking her up on her idea. We have been talking about the good and bad of Resveratrol. I am gonna copy and past a few of the things said here, and we can hopefully continue the discussion here for others who may have missed the daily thread. I am interested in what others who have taken or know of it can add thier input. I know I was experimenting to see if it made a difference or not.

A few things that we have mentioned to each other is that it seems to be suppressing our hunger, exspecially on DD's. A few of us are taking different brands, and different doses. However please read all below if your deciding you want to take it based on a few things we have said. It does have its own risks as any other supplement can carry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
Hi Katiebub! So this is what I remember from what my doc told me (in case it helps)...

If your FREE estrogen is normal/high and your SHBG is moderate/low, resveratrol will BIND free estrogen and make it lower (so might be a good thing in your case if your FREE estrogen is too high).

If your FREE estrogen is normal/high and your SHBG is high, your free estrogen can't be used by the body because it's all being bound by the SHBG. In that case (mine), the resveratrol is seen by the body as estrogen and it binds to the SHBG, thus freeing up your own estrogen for use by the body.

If your FREE estrogen is low, resveratrol can act as an estrogen replacement.

Of course this assumes that you have had your FREE estrogen and SHBG both tested--most docs don't do SHBG and WON'T do free estrogen. Regardless of how much free estrogen you have, if you have too much SHBG, your body can't use it (same with testosterone). I am hypo-adrenal and hypo-thyroid and my thyroid meds (T3) cause my SHBG to skyrocket so I test my s** hormones regularly. I am also a hormonal mess and obviously know WAAAAY more about this stuff than I want to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbyla View Post
I also picked up some resveratrol (you guys got me curious) to see if it makes a difference on DD. One thing that everyone should be aware of is that resveratrol can also mimic some of the same effects as estrogen supplementation. If you supplement BHRT and take resveratrol, you might want to google it. Or mention it back here and I will dig up the details. My hormone doc prescribed it to me to make my own estrogen more bioavailable because it binds my OTT SHBG (sex hormone binding globulin). Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else might be impacted...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I got the Resvinatrol from Walmart on Saturday. I took two on Saturday and didn't notice any difference in my hunger, but it was mid-day when I took it. I had a burst of energy in the afternoon. I took two yesterday, on an UD and didn't notice any difference with my hunger, but I did have a lot more energy in the late afternoon/early evening. I took two this morning, a DD, and I ate my regular DD breakfast. It's almost lunch time, and I'm not even remotely hungry yet. I will keep taking it and see what happens.

I started thyroid meds 5 weeks ago, and it takes 6 weeks or so to build up, so I can't say for sure if my energy is increasing because of the thyroid meds or because of the Resvinatrol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
I started taking the resveratrol since I had them and the last 3 DD's I have fasted all day since I had no hunger. So I stand corrected. One capsule CAN do something. Maybe I need to start taking it on UD's too since I tend to get a little carried away sometimes.
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the congrats on my goat win.
LAst week I started having coffee with HWC for breakfast and water the rest of the day for my DD's. I have continued to do that even with going out of town. It is easier than worrying about what to eat etc. We shall see how long this phase lasts. If I continue to lose weight at the rate of at least a pound a week, I will probably continue it. I do not get hungry and I am taking a very small dose of resveratrol (37.5 mg of trans-resveratrol) on my DD's. I don't take it on my UD's. Have no idea if that is helping with feeling no hunger. I drink a lot of water since I feel thirsty on DD's but yesterday on an UD I could not get enough water.
At leaast I am truly saving money on my DD's right now. I am drinking tap water too so it is basically free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manday View Post
I'm so glad I stumbled in here! I was about to go get some resveratrol, but if it messes with or mimics estrogen in any way, I can't take it! I have Factor V Leiden which increases my chances of blood clots and estrogen-like substances (like birth control pills) increases it further. Since I've already had multiple pulmonary embolisms and complete blockages in my legs, I think I WILL STAY AWAY FROM THIS STUFF. Thanks again for posting this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
Ok I have been researching resveratrol, and I am conflicted. From what I can see its a estrogen blocker, so in my case it can help. Its also an natural anti-coagulant and anti-platelet which will thin the blood and means less chance of blood clots, and decrease the stickiness of blood platelets which in turn helps keep your arteries and veins clear.

From what I have seen drugs that resveratrol may impact include HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, calcium channel agonists, anti-arrhythmic agents, HIV protease inhibitors, immunosuppressants, antihistimines and erectile dysfunction medications. Which I am on none of, exspecially the last!!! lol!!!

It inhibits the growth of some cancers, but will increase the growth of others like breast cancer.

Its suppose to help with skin, aging signs, reduces inflammations, and helps with lower cholestrol. It also helps to speed up metabolism and counteract the formation of fat cells. However it should not be used as an obesity prevention.

I also found a research study that says its a natural estrogen blocker. The study says it forces your body to use what is in your system before you create more, if I understood that right. Green tea and milk thistle is also mentioned to do the same thing. Milk thistle was said to help clear your liver, where high amounts of estrogen can build and cause a fatty liver. Fibroids was also mentioned in this study also! It said "Resveratrol has recently been discovered to have phytoestrogenic activity as well. In other conditions where a woman's estrogen levels are too high, such as in uterine fibroids, phytoestrogens compete with the estrogens of the body and are protective against their damaging effects. Resveratrol's connection to uterine fibroids was determined by a number of in vitro studies, outlined on the resveratrol database, Resveratrol.com. The database noted that resveratrol specifically inhibited fibroid cell growth and caused death of fibroid cells in vitro. Resveratrol's properties as a phytoestrogen, according to Resveratrol.com, occurs secondary to its ability to weakly bind to fibroid tumors and protect them from the strongly stimulating estrogens of the body."

I also found another study on shrinking fibroids with red wine, and resveratrol mentioned for a great effect. Goes back to the fatty liver thing, and with red wine makes your liver work harder, where resveratrol isnt alcohol and doesnt affect your liver the same.

It seems, that resveratrol is good for what I wanted it for. More for heart health than the weighloss part. But I never knew the connection that seems good with fibroids until tonight. Which makes me really want to take it. I need to speak with my doctor, but I know how that will go! "Stop reading internet, it no good, I tell you what good." Which he never seems to these days!!! Need new gynie, just no time in my life at the moment!!

Hmmmmmm! what to think, what to think......I think I will continue for now. It seems to be helping my monthly issues and controlling my hunger. I dont seem to have side effects that I am aware of. Maybe a few more months of this and see what it does!
If I missed any more quotes that should be added please feel free to add!!!!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Last edited by krow134; 04-24-2012 at 08:09 PM..
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Tanya, thank you for posting this separately.

I have a kind of love-huh? relationship with Res. Which may come from all the different formulations. I would like to understand it better.

Thanks again and I LOVE your avi! You look marvelous!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am still taking my small dose on DD's. Maybe I will experiment and take one tomorrow on my UD and see if it helps with appetite suppression since I get carried away at noon and beyond on my UD's. My capsules are small dosage (37.5 mg of trans-resveratrol) and I see that most of the newer versions are MUCH higher. My capsules have been in my cabinet for who knows how long but were unopened. Did not even know I had them or why I bought them in the first place. But I am taking them since I have them.

I have no health issues that they will interfere with so no problems there.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/148/139 JUDDD 01/08/12
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:32 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Nancy!!!! Best picture I have taken in ages!! Had to show it off!! Yw about separate post, but it was Sophies idea, she said it needed its own!

Adillenal- I tried cutting my doses on UD so I would be hungry, because I was having trouble getting in all my calories. But keeping my dosages on DD's the same with 2 pills. I will be honest it was a horrible weekend of eating constant on both days! It became a series of FD's! I have gone back to following the dosage as per package and the constant eating has gone to the way side again. I thought maybe it was hormones but TOM isnt due for a while yet.

I have fibroids, which is why when shelbyla mentioned about Estrogen, I had to start looking things up!!! I was doing JUDDD to lose weight to save my female parts, and I thought, Oh no what am I doing. But from what I see, I am ok to still take resveratrol. I will still check with my doc, just incase thought!!!

Last edited by krow134; 04-25-2012 at 04:33 AM..
Old 04-26-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Thanks for reposting this, Tanya! I have some resveratrol arriving today. I did not know about the estrogenic effects. I've had my hormone levels checked in the past (last time was fall 2010) and things have always shown normal despite pcos and problems with skin, etc.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Maintenance - 5:2/JUDDD
I have had a really bad headache every day I've taken the Resveratrol. I'm not sure if that's what's causing it, but I'm not going to take it today and see if my headache improves.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Forgot to take the resveratrol and it is my UD so that experiment will have to wait until later.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Aweee Dawn!!! I hope the headache has passed!!! They really are the most miserable thing one has to deal with!!!

So back on track with my dosaged of resveratrol, as the bottle says. And today a new low of 172!!!! Its an UD and I ate my breakfast/lunch at 9am today because I had a ton to do at work. Its now almost 6pm and I am not hungry!!! I have had a big old 600 calories today!!!!! I need like 1100 more!!! If I come under a bit thats ok, I cant run today as the rain is pouring out there! I love resveratrol for my DD's but it is frustrating on my UD's. But dont want the weekend I had last again!!! So I will figure out the dinner thing!!

Maybe I should try taking my dosage on DD's in the am and on UD's maybe the evening next to see if that helps.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm planning to take it only on DDs and see how it goes.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
I'm planning to take it only on DDs and see how it goes.
I tried that last weekend, and it turned into a series of FD's. It was bad!! I couldnt get enough to eat, and when I thought I did.........I ate more!!! Went back to my normal doses and hunger is gone again!!! Let me know how that works out though. I am not sure if it was because I changed how I was taking it, or the fact that was the weekend after the wedding. It could of just been cravings got kicked up from something I ate that day!!! To scared to try it again!!! lol!!!!
Old 04-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #11

I didn't take it this morning, and I don't have a headache. I'm thinking it's not for me.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Can we list what type of resv. and what mg. we are taking? Because that may make a difference too. The brand I'm taking has 100 mg. trans-resveratrol, 50 mg. grapeseed, 25 m. grape skin, and 25 mg. pine bark.

I'm doing a dd/FD today, and a full FD tomorrow, but Sat. will be a DD (I think). So I will take it on Sat.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Big Yapper!!!!

Mine has 37.5 mg of trans-resveratrol. No headaches but then it is a small dose.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #14

I don't have it with me, but the brand is Resvinatrol Complete and I got it at WalMart.
Ingredients:
Premium Muscadine Grape Blend (Providing 100 Mg Resveratrol): Polygonum Cuspidatum Root Extract, Muscadine Grape Seed Extract, Quercetin, Soy Lecithin, Red Wine Extract (25% Proanthocyanidins), Pomegranate Fruit Extract (20% Ellagic Acid), Red Raspberry Fruit Extract (20% Ellagic Acid). Other Ingredients: Gelatin, Dicalcium Phosphate, Cellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Silica.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I don't have it with me, but the brand is Resvinatrol Complete and I got it at WalMart.
Ingredients:
Premium Muscadine Grape Blend (Providing 100 Mg Resveratrol): Polygonum Cuspidatum Root Extract, Muscadine Grape Seed Extract, Quercetin, Soy Lecithin, Red Wine Extract (25% Proanthocyanidins), Pomegranate Fruit Extract (20% Ellagic Acid), Red Raspberry Fruit Extract (20% Ellagic Acid). Other Ingredients: Gelatin, Dicalcium Phosphate, Cellulose, Magnesium Stearate, Silica.
Same as Dawn!

Last edited by krow134; 04-26-2012 at 03:31 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 03:33 PM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

I thought it had to be trans-ressveratrol to do any good or did I misunderstand that?
Gosh Dawn. That sure is a long list of ingredients.
Mine says the trans - resveratrol is from Japanese Knotweed extract
Old 04-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #17

No idea. This one has soy too, which I didn't catch on the bottle.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I have no idea either. I got this one to try, before I decided if it was worth spending more money for a better brand!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Spank'd
Stats: 223/217/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restarted 1/11/14
I tried Resveratrol about two years ago when it was touted as a memory enhancer.

It gave me rippin' migraines. No thanks, not going down that road again.
Spank'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Hey Dawn, are you a wine drinker? The reason I ask, my daughter thinks she is allergic to wine and says that she gets pretty bad headaches if she drinks a glass. I don't know if resveratrol could be the trigger, but I find it interesting that it is causing you a headache?

I am taking Garden of Life Raw Resveratrol and they sell it here on Netrition. http://http://www6.netrition.com/gar...sveratrol.html

It says it has 553 mg of RESV!!! Not certain this is a good thing or not?!? And wonder why raw??? It also has pro-biotics as well as quite a list of other ingredients. The main thing that I have noticed, is lots of energy and especially when I exercise. I almost feel like I am a superwoman or something. For instance, once I get started on any aerobic type of exercise, it is almost like I feel the need to rev up the intensity. LOL! I love to do my rebounder and power walk, but sometimes I wonder if it is the JUDDD or the Resveratrol that is making me feel this new energy.

RAW Resveratrol Blend (RAW organically grown cabernet sauvignon grape [seed] & RAW fermented wildcrafted Japanese knotweed polygonum cuspidatum [350mg active trans-resveratrol]) 553 mg

RAW Organic Antioxidant Blend (Organic strawberry [fruit], organic cherry [fruit], organic blackberry [fruit], organic blueberry [fruit], organic raspberry [fruit], organic beet [root], organic carrot [root], organic spinach [leaf], organic broccoli [flower & stem], organic tomato [fruit], organic kale [leaf], organic red cabbage [leaf], organic parsley [leaf], organic brussels sprout [leaf], organic green bell pepper [fruit], organic cucumber [gourd], organic celery [stalk], organic garlic [bulb], organic ginger [root], organic green onion [root], cauliflower [flower & stem], organic asparagus [flower & stem])

RAW Probiotic & Enzyme Blend (saccharomyces boulardii, protease, phytase, beta-glucanase, alpha-galactosidase, hemicellulase, cellulase) 35 mg
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you knew me, I am not a lover of housework period! I do it but begrudge my time vacuuming, dusting, folding clothes, etc. I have to admit that it has become sort of an OCD thing since starting the Resv. I want to clean to extreme! I want to redecorate my house, my garden, my closet. Something is up.

Last edited by sunday; 04-27-2012 at 09:56 AM..
Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Hey Dawn, are you a wine drinker? The reason I ask, my daughter thinks she is allergic to wine and says that she gets pretty bad headaches if she drinks a glass. I don't know if resveratrol could be the trigger, but I find it interesting that it is causing you a headache?

I am taking Garden of Life Raw Resveratrol and they sell it here on Netrition. http://http://www6.netrition.com/gar...sveratrol.html

It says it has 553 mg of RESV!!! Not certain this is a good thing or not?!? And wonder why raw??? It also has pro-biotics as well as quite a list of other ingredients. The main thing that I have noticed, is lots of energy and especially when I exercise. I almost feel like I am a superwoman or something. For instance, once I get started on any aerobic type of exercise, it is almost like I feel the need to rev up the intensity. LOL! I love to do my rebounder and power walk, but sometimes I wonder if it is the JUDDD or the Resveratrol that is making me feel this new energy.

RAW Resveratrol Blend (RAW organically grown cabernet sauvignon grape [seed] & RAW fermented wildcrafted Japanese knotweed polygonum cuspidatum [350mg active trans-resveratrol]) 553 mg

RAW Organic Antioxidant Blend (Organic strawberry [fruit], organic cherry [fruit], organic blackberry [fruit], organic blueberry [fruit], organic raspberry [fruit], organic beet [root], organic carrot [root], organic spinach [leaf], organic broccoli [flower & stem], organic tomato [fruit], organic kale [leaf], organic red cabbage [leaf], organic parsley [leaf], organic brussels sprout [leaf], organic green bell pepper [fruit], organic cucumber [gourd], organic celery [stalk], organic garlic [bulb], organic ginger [root], organic green onion [root], cauliflower [flower & stem], organic asparagus [flower & stem])

RAW Probiotic & Enzyme Blend (saccharomyces boulardii, protease, phytase, beta-glucanase, alpha-galactosidase, hemicellulase, cellulase) 35 mg
I'm definitely a wine-drinker, every other day. I can drink two bottles of wine and not get a headache or a hangover. I know, because I've tested this theory over and over.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
If you knew me, I am not a lover of housework period! I do it but begrudge my time vacuuming, dusting, folding clothes, etc. I have to admit that it has become sort of an OCD thing since starting the Resv. I want to clean to extreme! I want to redecorate my house, my garden, my closet. Something is up.

I need to order the kind of resveratrol that you are taking. My house NEEDS that kind of attention in the worst way.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I need to order the kind of resveratrol that you are taking. My house NEEDS that kind of attention in the worst way.
Ditto!!! I want what she's having!!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know! I wish I knew if it is my Sirt-1 or the Raw Resv? Cause I am thrilled to have this right now, but in another way, I hate to recommend any supplement without knowing which it is? I guess if others are seeing benefits from taking this same supplement then we will know for certain. One more thought, I am trimming back most of the supps that I took before JUDDD because I now want to be as clean as possible to watch this PLAN work for me!
Old 04-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Ok here is my newest update:

ugggh!

I took my resveratrol yesterday and it came back up. I didnt eat my yogurt with it so I figured that was why. The bottle says take with a meal. So today I ate my normal yogurt for breakfast. Had a cup of coffee and took my resveratrol..........5 mins later it all came back up.

What the heck! I only took the resveratrol so that was the only thing it could of been. I will try again tomorrow and if it comes back up I dont know. I had this before with a multi-vitamin I was taking. It got so bad I had to stop taking it. I dont know why after 3 weeks this is gonna happen with this now. So confused!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Kinda makes me nervous to try this stuff I bought - reading about upset stomach and headaches, plus other side effects I've read on another website...

I've taken some of the "red wine complex" from Walmart that doesn't actually list how much resveratrol, and didn't notice anything different, so I think the resv. must be quite low in it. But this new kind I got online is 100 mg. of the trans-resv.

I'm thinking about opening a capsule and dumping 1/4 of the contents into some juice or something instead of taking the whole pill. Usually I don't worry about taking stuff, but resv. is obviously quite potent, so...
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Quote:
I'll have what she's having! (can anybody name the movie? LOL)

Katie--how frustrating! I hope you can continue to take it--it seemed like it was working so well for you. I wondered if your free weekend was a result of something at the wedding too. But certainly understand not wanting to test it.

I got some NOW Resveratrol yesterday.
Red Wine Extract alcohol free 200 mg
Polygonum cuspidatum extract (root) 200mg
(50% natural trans-resveratrol 100mg)
Green tea extract 200mg
Grape Seed Extract 100mg

I took 2 with breakfast (had a couple of sausage patties). It's a DD but, planning a maintenance dd of 700-800 calories.

Will keep an eye out for headaches, since red wine does sometimes give me one.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #29

I haven't had a headache the couple of days I haven't taken it, so I'm not taking it anymore.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelbyla
Stats: 210/153/145
WOE: hhCG, rx hCG
Start Date: rx hCG R7 start 02/16/14
Mine is Trunature Maximum Strength Resveratrol (Costco)

Resveratrol (trans-resveratrol) - 250mg
(standardized from Polygonum cuspidatum) (root)
Red wine extract - 10mg
(Vitis vinifera) (grape skin)
shelbyla is offline   Reply With Quote