Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Sophie, have you tried mixing 1 part castor oil with three parts EVCO?
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Wanted to jump in here...

I bought the resvinatrol last night at Wal-Mart, DH and I are both taking it. He reports being very hungry by 9:30 this morning. I, on the other hand, am not feeling hungry at all and it's 2:30 here. Usually by this time I have already eaten or else am staving off the hunger for a little while longer before giving in and eating. This is important because once I eat, I tend to get very hungry and it lasts until about 5:00-6:00. The smaller this window is, the less I eat and the less I struggle with hunger. So far I'm pretty jazzed.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Sophie, before you give up because you were hungry! Pre-TOM with me not even the resveratrol stops the hunger monster that builds up in me!!! I think its my brain programed since I was a teen to binge eat just before/during TOM!!!!! My mom and sisters are the same way! If it aint nailed down, we try to eat it!!!

For me my hunger will be either chocolate or steak! I think the steak is because I become very anemic during TOM! I know last month with TOM even with resveratrol, I totally turned the house upside down looking for chocolate. I ate everytime I walked past the fridge or cupboard. It was horrible!!!! UUAAD became OMGWHATHAVEIDONE days!!! But right after hunger back under control and had some really really good DD's like waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy under 500 calories!!!!!

I know its not for everyone. But I just wanted to tell you my story with all of it!!

Awesome Luna!!! I know for me truely loving how on a DD a salad can fill me up and I really dont want anything else!! I have to go buy more I have enough til sunday and I am MAKING sure I go to walmart and get more!!!!!!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
I just wanted to add in my experience with Resveratrol as well. I have been taking it on and off for the last 3 weeks or so. I seem to have the appetite suppression that others have noticed. I was concerned that I would have a placebo effect from having read that others had appetite suppression but I think that it is quite noticeable for me especially on the DD. I don't notice it affecting my UD appitite but I do have more constant energy now on that day as before I was much more tired especially after meals. I also think I am feeling better on my runs and running more frequently again. I am not sure about this one being from the Resveratrol as it could just be the weight loss making the running easier. Great to hear what others are finding!
Old 05-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #65
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
Sophie, before you give up because you were hungry! Pre-TOM with me not even the resveratrol stops the hunger monster that builds up in me!!! I think its my brain programed since I was a teen to binge eat just before/during TOM!!!!! My mom and sisters are the same way! If it aint nailed down, we try to eat it!!!

For me my hunger will be either chocolate or steak! I think the steak is because I become very anemic during TOM! I know last month with TOM even with resveratrol, I totally turned the house upside down looking for chocolate. I ate everytime I walked past the fridge or cupboard. It was horrible!!!! UUAAD became OMGWHATHAVEIDONE days!!! But right after hunger back under control and had some really really good DD's like waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy under 500 calories!!!!!

I know its not for everyone. But I just wanted to tell you my story with all of it!!
Thanks, Tanya! I won't give up on it yet. I know that hormonal hunger is like the Hulk - you can't tame or control it! At least I haven't found a way yet, other than upping my calories as needed.

I'll definitely try resv. again on DD. Even using it on my MUDDD schedule, it might help me have a very low calorie DD part of my day before I start UD eating in the evening...

Thanks again for the encouragement.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
I'll definitely try resv. again on DD. Even using it on my MUDDD schedule, it might help me have a very low calorie DD part of my day before I start UD eating in the evening...
Sophie-Werent you the one that was only taking it just for DD's? Let me tell you about the DD and resveratrol experiment. It didnt work!!! I have to take it everyday!! I take my two pills on DD's and I take one pill on UD's but if I skip a day with none........hunger is right there in my face!!! That is one of the things I forgot to paste to this thread from the april chat thread!!!!! Which leads me to type what I was thinking...........what the heck is gonna happen at goal and if I stop taking this!! OMG I might swallow the fridge whole!!!!

Babs-OMG my energy too is awesome!! I cant find excuses not to run!!! I have tried mind you, I know I would only cheat me. But my energy is making me burn off some with my daily run!!! Well today I did find an excuse.......a touch of food poisioning will do that to a person......also helps with making never eating chicken wings from a certain bar a promise!!!

Last edited by krow134; 05-11-2012 at 03:46 PM..
Old 05-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
I am finding similar results with the improved appetite control on the DD with taking it both days. I still have a better DD with the Resveratrol than without even if I have forgotten to take it the previous day. I think the UD energy change is pretty significant too. Thanks for starting this thread to put everyone's thoughts in one place. The headache info was interesting to read as I have had a few very mild ones when taking this but not sure if it is the supplement.
Food poisoning is not fun even if you have just a little bit. I hope you feel better soon Tanya!
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #68

Okay, so after day 1 of resveratrol...wow! Great appetite suppression! I had a weird tingly feeling in the fingers of my left hand for a little while yesterday, as well as a peaceful, drowsy feeling in the afternoon. I considered laying down for a nap, which I NEVER do. I also got a bigtime caffeine buzz last evening after drinking some strong coffee, which is also unlike me. But none of that was alarming or a problem.

So you all take it both days, not just on a down day? I was thinking of just taking this on down days.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #69
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oropendola
Stats: 221.4/186.6/160
WOE: Belly Fat Cure -> JUDDD -> JUDDD + DrK
Start Date: January 2, 2012 -> March 8 -> July 6
I got an email that mine was shipped yesterday...waiting, kind of patiently.
oropendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
I'm on my 3rd DD on Resveratrol (I'm using the RAW by Garden of Life). I had coffee this morning, and it's almost 12:30 now, and I'm not hungry at all. I took 1 yesterday (UD) as well. I'll probably take a second capsule a little later today. I know I didn't drink enough water yesterday, so I'm really trying to drink today.

I looked for ANY Resveratrol at Walmart and Sams.....nothing
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Sophie, have you tried mixing 1 part castor oil with three parts EVCO?
No, is this just for general moisturizing or do you use it as a treatment?

For going on 3 years now I just use evoo, but over this spring I added some vco to the bottle. I keep it in a little tinted plastic spray bottle from Walmart and give it a good shake, then apply it to damp skin after a shower, hands after washing, a drop to face after washing, etc. I even use this in my hair sometimes. The only thing was, the vco solidified once in a while which I never really had happen with the evoo, so next time I will lower the ration of vco in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
Sophie-Werent you the one that was only taking it just for DD's? Let me tell you about the DD and resveratrol experiment. It didnt work!!! I have to take it everyday!! I take my two pills on DD's and I take one pill on UD's but if I skip a day with none........hunger is right there in my face!!! That is one of the things I forgot to paste to this thread from the april chat thread!!!!! Which leads me to type what I was thinking...........what the heck is gonna happen at goal and if I stop taking this!! OMG I might swallow the fridge whole!!!!

Babs-OMG my energy too is awesome!! I cant find excuses not to run!!! I have tried mind you, I know I would only cheat me. But my energy is making me burn off some with my daily run!!! Well today I did find an excuse.......a touch of food poisioning will do that to a person......also helps with making never eating chicken wings from a certain bar a promise!!!
Yes, I was intending to take it only on DDs because if it had appetite suppression I didn't want it on UD since lately had been having trouble reaching my calorie quota then. Not since pre-Tom reared it's head!!

I hope you're feeling better from the food poisoning - gah.... that's no fun at all!

Today is an UD, at least until 5 p.m. (I may switch to MUDDD then, or not) and so I took a resv. after having a big brunch.

Everyone who's taking it regularly seems to be reporting good stuff! Appetite control and energy.

For now I think I'll stick to just DDs and keep adding it to my facial mask too. I think my problem is I'm a bit leery of the 100 mg. amount - keep thinking it should be less than half that for a daily dose. Maybe I'm just paranoid about side effects, lol.

KUTGW Everyone!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #72

Sophie, you could just take one. Two of the capsules are 100 mg, so one would be 50.

That is, if you're taking the Walmart brand, the one called Resvinatrol. I'm too lazy to re-read and see what type you've got.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Loca View Post
Sophie, you could just take one. Two of the capsules are 100 mg, so one would be 50.

That is, if you're taking the Walmart brand, the one called Resvinatrol. I'm too lazy to re-read and see what type you've got.
Thanks, Luna, it's NSI brand, bought online, and each capsule is 100 mg. trans-resv. along with some other extracts.

Oh, I've been meaning to tell you how much I that pic of you on the swing!! You're so photogenic and your inner light gets captured easily on film!
Old 05-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

ok so went to walmart. Bought my new phone and veggies and everything on my list. But when I got home I forgot to get my resveratrol!!!! Oh no!!! Its become my security blanket!!! I have a few pills left that if I do half doses the rest of the week I can make it til thursday when I get back down that way to get more!!! Goodness!!!

Food poisoning issue is slowly going away. I couldnt eat much yesterday! I tried but it would come back up/out it was horrible. Today is an UD and I am struggling. I had yogurt but my stomache was cramping so bad that I have been picking at things all day instead of sitting and eating. Thats ok. I think I want to make today a MD because with tomorrow being a DD and mothers day I think I will have issues. I know my hubby and kids are going out later which means a cake and dinner for tomorrow and I dont want to hurt feelings by saying its a DD! lol!!! Then switching things for the week will work out best anyways. My work schedule is crazy and alot of on the rode driving my client here and there and everywhere!! What a bad time to have forgotten to get my pills!!!

Mary T8M- its in the vitamin section at walmart, near the bottom of the shelves. Its in a box not just a pill bottle. It next to the red wine complex. But dont buy that stuff!!! Its not the same!!!

Last edited by krow134; 05-12-2012 at 12:29 PM..
Old 05-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #75
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mary T8M
Stats: 5'2" 228/144/125 good-bye 150's
WOE: LC/LF/LCal (medi)
Start Date: 4/23/10
[QUOTE=
Mary T8M- its in the vitamin section at walmart, near the bottom of the shelves. Its in a box not just a pill bottle. It next to the red wine complex. But dont buy that stuff!!! Its not the same!!![/QUOTE]

Thanks I'll look again. It seems like our Walmart doesn't have a LOT of the things that other Walmart stores have
Mary T8M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Thanks, Luna, it's NSI brand, bought online, and each capsule is 100 mg. trans-resv. along with some other extracts.

Oh, I've been meaning to tell you how much I that pic of you on the swing!! You're so photogenic and your inner light gets captured easily on film!
Awww, thanks. It was fun.

Well, I guess splitting the dose won't work then. In my research, it's quickly metabolized, so you won't have to live with any ill effects for long. The source I saw says it's completely metabolized in about four hours. Which would kind of negate the not hungry all day thing.

I don't know.

I went ahead and took it today and am eating, it's an up day, but not focusing on food in the same way as I usually do on an up day. We had pizza for lunch because DH wanted it, I was kinda meh about it, but once it was in front of me I did want to eat it. We've already planned dinner, but my thinking about it was, "well, we have chicken breasts in the freezer, let's eat that" not, "I can't wait to eat chicken breasts, it'll be so awesome and yummy". If that makes any sense. Food just isn't as attractive or mesmerizing as it normally is on an up day for me.

So I guess it's working, it seems to be doing what I hoped, which was lessen my appetite. So yay!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #77
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: annefran
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
I'll have what she's having! (can anybody name the movie? LOL)
When Harry Met Sally!

ooops...I see someone beat me to it! lol
Great movie!

Last edited by annefran; 05-12-2012 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: added
annefran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
As a scientist who has done a fair bit of work on the public health disaster of DES (diethylstilbestrol--a synthetic estrogen which led to millions of women and children with reproductive cancers and other problems), I have very mixed feelings about resveratrol supplements. Both DES and resveratrol can sometimes act as estrogens, and sometimes act as estrogen antagonists. Resveratrol, unlike DES, is normally metabolized (broken down) quickly by the body, which makes its effects less potent, potentially. But concentrated forms of any plant estrogen can be incredibly problematic for many people.

So I have no problem with people eating chocolate (high in resveratrol) or drinking a glass of red wine (even higher in natural resveratrol). But I'd be really cautious about a supplement that mimics estrogen so strongly. If you are menopausal, resveratrol can act as a supplemental estrogen, which may be desirable depending on your own circumstances. But if you're pregnant (and don't know it), it's NOT a good thing at all. If you are of child-bearing age, resveratrol may bind to your own estrogen receptors, thus reducing the ability of your body's own estrogens to bind to them--effectively acting as an anti-estrogen (and thus, like soy, reducing fertility potentially).

With all these plant estrogens, eating a wide variety of plants with a wide variety of hormonal and anti-hormonal activity seems usually pretty harmless. Eating supplements that radically concentrate the hormones seems potentially quite challenging for your body.

Here's a good overview of resveratrol's estrogenic potential:

"Estrogenic and Anti-estrogenic Activities

Endogenous estrogens are steroid hormones synthesized by humans and other mammals; these hormones bind to estrogen receptors within cells. The estrogen-receptor complex interacts with unique sequences in DNA (estrogen response elements; EREs) to modulate the expression of estrogen-responsive genes (17). A compound that binds to estrogen receptors and elicits similar responses to endogenous estrogens is considered an estrogen agonist, while a compound that binds estrogen receptors but prevents or inhibits the response elicited by endogenous estrogens is considered an estrogen antagonist. The chemical structure of resveratrol is very similar to that of the synthetic estrogen agonist, diethylstilbestrol (see figure 2), suggesting that resveratrol might also function as an estrogen agonist. However, in cell culture experiments resveratrol acts as an estrogen agonist under some conditions and an estrogen antagonist under other conditions (18, 19). In estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer cells, resveratrol acted as an estrogen agonist in the absence of the endogenous estrogen, 17beta-estradiol, but acted as an estrogen antagonist in the presence of 17beta-estradiol (20, 21). At present, it appears that resveratrol has the potential to act as an estrogen agonist or antagonist depending on such factors as cell type, estrogen receptor isoform (ER alpha or ER beta), and the presence of endogenous estrogens (17)." Linus Pauling Institute at Oregon State University
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The resveratrol conference in December should prove enlightening.

I take it intermittently (meaning, when I run out it can take weeks to remember to buy more). I don't perceive any difference in my appetite or energy levels when I take it. But that is just me.

Actually, I agree with Tiva - Res, and intense concentrations of any plant-derived supplement, do worry me a bit. Since, in the last - what? - six months most of the research done on Res has been called into question, I am really looking forward to hearing what comes out of that conference.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sophie, take a look at this old thread about combining castor oil and coconut oil (or other carrier oils - check the internet).

Together evco & castor oil have faded and even healed scars, cleaned out and shrunk pores, healed the occasional pimple, reduced the depth of wrinkles, and keep my skin looking years younger than it really is.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #81

Tiva, thank you for the informative post. I'm not sure about all of the terminology, but am willing to learn!

I hope you see this post because I want to ask: It seems like your main concerns about resveratrol and the estrogen effects that it has. So if you don't mind addressing my situation, I'd love the feedback. I am not yet in menopause, as far as I can tell (partial hysterectomy so I don't have periods, but do still have my ovaries. Women in my family don't go through menopause until close to age 60--I'm 48. Plus I still have breast soreness and tenderness on occasion, so I assume the ovaries are still in there working away). Obviously, I am not going to get pregnant. Would this still be a bad idea for me to take in my particular situation? Because I'm loving the appetite suppression that I'm getting from it.

TIA.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Sophie, take a look at this old thread about combining castor oil and coconut oil (or other carrier oils - check the internet).

Together evco & castor oil have faded and even healed scars, cleaned out and shrunk pores, healed the occasional pimple, reduced the depth of wrinkles, and keep my skin looking years younger than it really is.
Wow, Nancy that is going back some time! I well remember reading that thread! I mixed these oils back then with very good results.

I've been on a regimen of Jojoba Oil and just recently added Argan Oil for my face and hair. Unfortunately, I'm not very consistent with my routine, but when I do use these oils, the results are good and I see a difference right away. I don't mix these; just use them separately.

I should really get back to my schedule because working in the garden on a daily basis is probably creating all kinds of particles in my face. Oil attracts oil and dirt, and so I had better start soon.

Thanks for resurrecting that thread!!!

Gracie's Journal
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote