Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Don't be upset, but...

Now that Nancy explained what set points are to me I'm having trouble with their actual existence. I do understand that we all have times when we seem to get stuck at a certain weight on our way down. But if this is because it is a weight that our bodies remember and feel comfortable at then why aren't I stuck at between 90-98 lbs. I weighed between those pounds for over thirty years of my life and for several years at 103 lbs when I was older and exercising and calorie counting. Is it not possible to bust through these " set points" with more excercise, different excercise, a new woe ect.? When I was stuck for two months on Adkins losing basically nothing, if I thought it was a set point, I would have never opened my mind and found Juddd and changed my woe and started losing again. I may stand alone ( I hope not) but I prefer to embrace a position of power. I would rather think as those set points as some sort of boulder that I CAN and WILL walk around, climb over, crawl under whatever it takes.
Thanks for letting me say my piece. As always I you all
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I weighed 120 pounds for 20 years (from age 20 to 40) and that will never be considered a set point for me because I will NEVER lose that much weight OR try to get below that number. I weighed 160 ish for many years. I just broke through that number and hit 159 so I feel confident that I will have easier weight loss for a bit anyway. I don't believe anyone said you can't lose but that weightloss seems to slow down when we get down to a certain weight and hang there for longer than we want to. So we refer to that weight as a set point. Not something to analyze or to try to prove. Just a reference to a particular weight. And I DO believe that I will temporaroily stall at particular weights on my journey downward on the scale.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014

Last edited by adillenal; 04-24-2012 at 01:27 PM..
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
I too feel that it is a mental thing.. I mean i do believe that set points exsit , not saying they dont.. BUT if you want it bad enough and are willing to do somthing differnt.. you can get past those and move on to newer higher (or lower) grounds.. IF you always did what you have always done... you will always get what you have always got! Thats my story and im sticking to it!!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I thought it was a mental thing until I did some research. I was completely surprised to find lots of tests that implied weight loss is most likely to stop/stall at points the body has spent time at before (did that wallowing sentence make sense?)

My theory (and remember this is all just my theory) is - if the body does not need to take a break and do some house-keeping, then you sail right by that former long-term weight. And, if the body needs to stop with no former weight near by, then it stops and takes care of internal maintenance. But, if a former weight is close, the body seems to gravitate to that as a 'take a break' point.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I thought it was a mental thing until I did some research. I was completely surprised to find lots of tests that implied weight loss is most likely to stop/stall at points the body has spent time at before (did that wallowing sentence make sense?)

My theory (and remember this is all just my theory) is - if the body does not need to take a break and do some house-keeping, then you sail right by that former long-term weight. And, if the body needs to stop with no former weight near by, then it stops and takes care of internal maintenance. But, if a former weight is close, the body seems to gravitate to that as a 'take a break' point.
Oh i did not know it was "that Nancy" Lmao.. Well, in that case dear,, i know you have done your research and there has to be some truth to it then.. I love ya Nancy!!
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Don't get me wrong, I do believe We stop losing at certain times on our weight loss journey. I was just questioning the reasons why. I was just saying that it seemed like a lot of dieters thought of set points as all powerful and I was suggesting that they are not. Kind of like where there's a will there's a way. To not wait around for your set point to decide its time to lose again but to be an active member of your weight loss team and add new stratagies to your game plan, shake things up a bit. That's all. It makes me feel better when I am the one in control of my body and not the other way around.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh, I don't think setpoints are inevitable stops. And I would sure like it I could tune my WOE and move on past them.

My personal experience has been, for me, I sometimes have to let my body take control. And, because I felt better during that stall time, I assumed something important was happening inside of me. Maybe that is just me though.

BUT we know some people lose and lose and never slow down or stall. It can happen. You totally have my support if you can find the way to keep weight loss moving. I will be first in line to help make that happen!

Last edited by gotsomeold; 04-24-2012 at 03:21 PM..
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/115.5/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Oh, I don't think setpoints are inevitable stops. And I would sure like it I could tune my WOE and move on past them.

My personal experience has been, for me, I sometimes have to let my body take control. And, because I felt better during that stall time, I assumed something important was happening inside of me. Maybe that is just me though.

BUT we know some people lose and lose and never slow down or stall. It can happen. You totally have my support if you can find the way to keep weight loss moving. I will be first in line to help make that happen!
I do not know a thing about "set points", but I do know that for me the weight loss is so slow! Maybe it is because I cheat I try each and every day to do the DD & UD with the amounts Dr. J. recommends for me, but I go over about 95% of the time.

I know it is my fault that I lose so slow, at times I am mad at me for gving in to food

On the bright note - I have lost 6 # since Jan. 1, and only have 3 more to go to be at goal!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Leonak you are so tiny already if you lost any faster I'm afraid you would dasapear lol you are so close, congrats