Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amywah
Stats: 197/184/130
Really want to start but nagging thoughts...

I really think this sounds very doable.. BUT I keep having this nagging thought that it is unhealthy and just a crash diet... I think I just may have to read the book first to learn the why's... DId anyone else deal with these thoughts? Anyone still have those thoughts?

I guess it just seems "wrong" to purposely be sooo hungry when there are healthy foods available..
amywah is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: casmira
Yeah, I did. And then I thought, sure give it a month, see what happens, can hardly do any more damage than I've already done with millions of diets stretching back into the far distant recesses of my past...

This is my 1 week anniversary. I lost 4lbs last week, which is astonishing for me - I lost a total of 1.5lbs on WW in the preceeding two months which had me at the brink of despair.

It's not exactly easy, but the big thing is that it works and you don't really get diet fatigue.

There's no reason to be exceptionally hungry on 500 calories per day unless you choose very unwisely. When you think about it, many people survive on thousands more every day with no real food value at all. It's all about choices.

On the upside, I can't say I've ever felt better than I do this morning. I'm sleeping far better, I feel alert and full of beans. My humour and skin are starting to improve and my hair is beginning to grow at an accelerated rate.

That's good enough for me.
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RebeccaSimpson
Stats: 174 goal 140 5'10
WOE: juicing and juddd
Start Date: 01/24/2013
Hi, I'll be doing my first down day in one week. I'm going away for a weekend trip, and thought it was more safe to start after. I have been reading the book, because I had a alot of questions. I hope this new way of eating will let my last pounds melt away. I also like the thought that you can eat what you want, as long you are watching the cals. I never was big on counting cals but now I have learned that it is important, not only that you don't eat too much, also that you eat enough! I think when we have learned what we can eat for 500cals, the DD's are not that bad anymore.
I'm giving it a month or two, and from what I am reading here people are loving it. It would be great to eat something withouth regrading it the next day. I'm not talking carby junk, I'm happy if I can have some mango or pineapple once in a while. And hopefully it will upspeed my metabolism again.
RebeccaSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the great comments. So true that it can't be worse than carrying around all this extra fat.. and unhealthy fast food eating junk...

I went ahead and purchased the Kindle version of the book so I can read it right away. I do think giving it a good 1-2 month try would be a good test..
Old 04-24-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I am a little worried about planning weekend down days.. Especially Saturday and Sundays.. we usually go out to eat on Saturday.. and then have dinner often with the in laws on Sunday...
Old 04-24-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Hi Amywah, welcome!!!!!

I think the key to this working is planning planning and planning... and reading here about all the great tips and advice!

Also, you have to fit the DD in just as you have to fit the UD in. I would highly advise giving it 2 weeks without deviations from the UD/DD rotations. After that, you could maybe fit in a medium day (MD) once a month or so to help you out in social occasions. I would not advise doing this more often, it is counter productive.

I've been doing this for 3 1/2 weeks now, and my results are steady and my inchloss is great! I'm also already experiencing some great health improvements.

For motivation, go read the non weightloss victories thread, you'll see, it's not just our weight that improves on this plan!

I'm finding on my DD that I feel more alert and have more energy than even on my UD when I actually eat! Strange but true... When you do an internet search on intermittent fasting you will find similar results from many other people.

Hope you will find the book interesting, I found it a nice clarification of what's happening in our bodies whilst we fast but other than that it is not needed to do this diet. It does provide you with some explanations and examples, and that's never a bad thing!

Good luck on getting started, and again, welcome to one of the friendliest boards here on LCF!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:08 AM   #7
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I had a goat show this weekend that happened to fall on a DD. Now I am doing the complete fasting on my DD's right now and I made it through the day on a cup of coffee and lots of water. I do not feel hunger on DD's but at the end of Saturday I was TIRED. I do not usually do that much physical stuff on a DD.

I only did a MD once for a banquet and I won't ever do it again. I could have fasted all day and eaten at the banquet with no problems. I do strict UD/DD rotation and I am very strict on DD's even when eating but tend to sometimes get carried away on UD's and I am still slowly but steadily losing. I am in no rush.

I bought the book and go back and read parts when I start to get discouraged or forget why I am doing this. It is great for me to keep on keeping on.

Good luck with your choice.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:59 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks again for the great advice. SO do you guys do UD DD UD DD etc... or do you do.. Mon, wed, fri DD and Tues THurs Sat, UP...

Like I have seen mentioned I am sure on work days DD's will be easier than on non work days. My job is in retail so my schedule varies.

I am really getting a ton of advice from this board! Thank you all so much!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
It's better to do UD/DD/UD/DD for at least the first few weeks to a month. Some have noticed much slower weight loss with a set schedule. I'd suggest you do the rotation as written for a few weeks before you decide if you want to tweak it.

I also thought it would be hard to do DDs on the weekend, but I find it's no different than any other day. Once you have the sirtuins built up, you'll get appetite suppression and it won't really matter what day of the week it is. At least that's been my experience.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:47 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Better With Age
Stats: 169/158.9/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 21, 2012
I have been on this JUDDD journey for about 5 weeks and lost 8 pounds. The first few weeks I did the MWF DD, TThSS UD with Saturday kinda being a MD. But after reading many suggestions to be strict with the rotation I changed last week. I need to lose about 15 more pounds and plan to stick to a strict rotation for the losing and possibly switch back to a set schedule for maintaining. I am interested to see if the strict rotation will bring a more steady loss. I am enjoying this WOE and even in moments of hunger I just get some water or coffee to hold me over.

Look forward to hearing your successs.

Melissa
Better With Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Ok, I will stick with the way its written.. I have quite a bit of weight to lose! And really the more I research this diet the better it sounds!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amywah View Post
I really think this sounds very doable.. BUT I keep having this nagging thought that it is unhealthy and just a crash diet... I think I just may have to read the book first to learn the why's... DId anyone else deal with these thoughts? Anyone still have those thoughts?

I guess it just seems "wrong" to purposely be sooo hungry when there are healthy foods available..
While still doing strict LC, I gave a quick look at JUDDD and thought it couldn't be as healthy, what with all the carb-eating going on and the focus on calories, so I wasn't interested.

But it sorta stayed in the back of my mind and over time I looked into it and other types of IF, and began to realize it was very much a type of calorie-restriction (which I'd always heard was supposed to lengthen life and have good effects) but without the negatives of CR. JUDDD/IF provides the same health benefits of CR, perhaps more.

I had 5# left to lose to get to goal. I felt that they had come off very slowly on LC and was discouraged. I thought age and bad eating and lifestyle had finally caught up to me and I was now paying the piper with a slow metabolism where I would have to always be quite strict with what and how much I ate. I gave JUDDD a hopeful try.

Imagine my surprise when those last 5# flew off me! And in maintenance, I have continued to lose weight while eating hundreds of calories more than I was able to in WLM. So metabolism broken? Nope, more like super-charged!

Read through the DD recipes and staples threads to get ideas of healthy, filling meals to have on your DDs so you won't go hungry.

And let us know if you want us to check over your calorie results in the JUDDD calculator before you get started to make sure you're getting the best start possible.

Visit this thread for some of the benefits of JUDDD that build up over the weeks: ~~* JUDDD MAGIC *~~ a survey....

And as Mimosa said, check out the Non-Scale Victories thread: Non-Scale Victories- please list them

Read the Alternate Day Diet, read this forum, ask any questions, think it over. We you, Amy!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 04-24-2012 at 06:03 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:22 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Amy
I was with ur thinking. But not in a crash diet way.
Have to say!!
I'm keeping off about 5-8 # this woe.
I feel great! And that's what I'm most proud of accomplishing.
It does seem weird!! Granted! Give it a try.
WARNING! UR GET HOOKED!
Eieio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Welcome Amy!

While the diet may contradict much of the old conventional wisdom, it is actually quite in line with a lot of the newer research coming out regading Intermittent Fasting. And there is just no disputing all of the improvements in health noted by participants here. Not to mention the overwhelming majority who have seen their choices in food migrate toward the healthy and away from the junk as time is spent JUDDD'ing. Cravings and binging come under control, understanding of how our bodies react to different foods is learned, portion control is internalized to where you don't even have to think about it. All of that is GOOD. And on top of it, we get to lose weight, in many cases more than we even thought was possible.

I am sitting at a weight I haven't seen in over 20 years, and thought I'd NEVER see again. 5 pounds below my original goal weight. I still don't eat much in the way of grain or sugar carbs because my body reacts badly to those, but I do have more freedom to eat MORE than I had before because my sluggish metabolism is revving up.

For eating out, if you know where you are going before hand, most restaurants have nutrition info online. Just look up their menu and find a low cal option that will fit into your calorie numbers for that day if it's a DD, and eat lightly (or not at all) for the rest of the day. Lots of members eat out on DD's so they can give some more tips on that.

Welcome!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I encourage you to get the book. As Dr J cites various studies in the book, check the internet and be amazed. Since the book was written in 2003, new studies underscore and expand on how very healthy this WOE can be.

Plan your meals. Plan them for healthy eating and it shall be so.

Tiptoe in for a month. Stay for a lifetime.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gosh guys.. I am so glad I posted this because you have all motivated me so much!
Old 04-24-2012, 06:58 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
I am really glad to hear you are doing some research because the more you read, the more you will be convinced that this is a very healthy way of life. It didn't cross my mind that this was a crash diet because I had been reading about IF for several months and the evidence convinced me that this was a healthy way of life. It was the health improvements that caused me to start JUDDD more than seeking weight loss. I was sick and full of inflammation and I read how beneficial this WOL is for blood pressure, arthritis, lipids, autoimmune diseases, glucose levels etc. And now 3 months into it, I am actually reaping the benefits. My BP had been below normal for the first time in 10 years! Every week I see some new health benefit so I KNOW this way of life is healthy for me.

Not only physically, but emotionally it is healing me. My relationship with food is normalizing and I feel like a "normal" person again. JUDDD has completely helped me to stop binging behaviors and now I can eat some carbs without it stimulating me to eat down the house.

And after a brief period of time on the plan, the JUDDD magic appeared and I don't feel hunger. I completely fast on my DD's and I no longer feel any hunger. Amazing? Yes. My body seems to know it is a DD when I wake up! I think of that day as a healing day and day of rest for my body. It doesn't have to deal with digestion and converting sugars and all the rest of the complicated processes it has to on my up days. ( And no, you do NOT have to fast on DD's. That is my choice to do it as I am attempting to seek the ultimate in health benefits at the moment).

If you read the non-scale victories thread, you will see some of the other great things people have experienced other than just the loss of pounds.

Non-Scale Victories- please list them

And for support, you will NEVER find a more caring and supportive group of people than the JUDDDs.

You are right that there are a lot of healthy foods out there and I enjoy them completely on my up days. If you look at the calorie intake over the week, I think you will see it isn't really "crashing" calories. For example, one up day of 2000 calories next to a down day, of say 400 calories, equals out to 1200 calories. That is a typical calorie number for many dieters.

Bottom line after only THREE months is I am WAY healthier, WAY happier, and 28 pounds lighter!

Whatever you decide, best wishes to you!

Last edited by sungoddess; 04-24-2012 at 07:01 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
I started juddd as a whim, but I was already very familiar with fasting health benefits after doing so on and off for several decades.
I did some reading on intermittent fasting, but didn't read Alternate-Day Diet until after a good month of following the doctor's recommendation therein.
It is so the opposite of a diet or crash diet.
Intermittent fasting is more like how humans naturally eat without the Western artificially available poor-nutritive foodstuffs consumed in mass quantities daily. It is normal for our systems to accept having lean/famine (down) days, average full (up) days, plus occasional feast days and full fast days. It makes sense how much that helps and heals our systems. We live in a world that does not naturally provide multi-thousands of calories daily from processed junk.
Cannot hurt you to commit to trying IF for two weeks following the juddd recommendation of normal up days alternated with very low calorie or full fast down days. We can do anything for 14 days and evaluate how we feel after that. Cheers!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
I came to JUDDD when my doc said no more LC. I have estrogen domanice and animal fats are a bad thing for that. LC is pretty much lots of animal fats, if you want it to work! I found this forum and realized this is already kinda how I ate normally just much much higher calories! Been on JUDDD almost 6 weeks now. And I feel so much better! Energy is up there. Clothes in back of drawers are fitting. UD DD rotations are easier! I love it here! You will soon see that DD family meals can work too! You can eat alot of what they are just smaller portions! I do it alot on weekends and no one notices I have half a pork chop to thier full serving one! Give it a month, you will love it!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
Quote:

I think what is unhealthy is the typical American way of eating. Way too much way too often. There is nothing, in my opinion, unhealthy about giving the body a chance to process the BIG amounts we eat.

No one is starving eating 500 calories (or less) a day. It's barely annoying actually.

Three weeks ago when I moved from eating Low Calorie/Lowish Carbs to trying JUDD I had misgivings too. I thought I would actually gain weight from ADDING 1,000 calories a day for my UDs. I was actually scared, but desperate. I took a leap of faith. In less than a month I see that my body is screaming out at me - YES, KEEP DOING THIS! I feel great and the progress has astounded me. I feel like I'm melting! It took 13 weeks to lose 14.8 pounds eating low calorie/low carb. Apparently my body was in some sort of preservation mode from constant low calories. I haven't felt this good in years and it hasn't even been a month.

I'm pretty convinced that if you try it, you'll probably like it!
Old 04-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #21
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Here is my thought: When I did LC I had those kinds of thought about "crash diet" and "unhealthy" because of the push to eat lots of fat and protein and hardly any veggies and fruits.

I never felt comfortable with eating LC for these reasons so JUDDD and it's smaller calorie days seems very healthy and doable. After all I can eat a ton of veggies and some wonderful fruit along with my fat and protein, even on DDs so how can THAT be unhealthy?
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Amy, so late to your post sorry. There are tons of articles online about IF in addition to the book. Some are a little too scientific but there are many for lay people like us. Jump in the waters warm,
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
Quote:

Well, one month in and I'm not hungry anymore. Yes, it can happen.

And to address the "healthy" issue, there are lots of studies about the benefits of IF.

No offense, but I always want to laugh when someone tells me my chosen WOE isn't healthy. These are the exact same people who never had the balls to tell me that pigging out on ho-ho's and twinkies was bad for me. Funny how that is...

Ultimately, it's a mental block you'll have to get over in order to give your all to JUDDD.
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: gotitnow
I know this will sound simple-minded BUT oh, well!! I absolutely love the fact that I always felt like I was only dieting half the time! (every-other-day!) I am in the maintenance lane now after losing about 30lbs. and still LOVING it!! EVEN MORE actually. This is a wonderful way of life, not a fad diet for sure!! We all will welcome you with open arms!!

Phyl
gotitnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #25
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Amy when you think about it, it's crazy!
You diet one day, then eat like you would on maintenance the next.
How wack-o is that??? (but it seems to work for a good % of the people doing it!)
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mariacj
Stats: 210/173/143
WOE: JUDDD and Low Carb
Start Date: LC - Nov 2011, Judd - March 2012, LC + Judd Aug12
I have tried all sorts of Fad Diets... Hollywood Three Day Juice Diet, the Three Day very low calorie diet where you eat grapefruit every morning, I tried every single Eat your way slim program, slim fast.... etc... Low carb worked for a little while, but this JUDDD makes me average 1200 a day for a month and I only have to diet every other day. I love it. For me it is more manageable compared to Low Carb as I can eat with the Family. try it for a month. It is free. Not like any other 3 easy payments of 39.99.

Loving Life with JUDDD and my bouncy chart!
" I'm like a rubber ball, Baby that's all that I am to you
(Bouncy, bouncy) (bouncy, bouncy)" - Bobby Vee
Mariacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariacj View Post
try it for a month. It is free. Not like any other 3 easy payments of 39.99.
I wonder, if Dr J had found a way to package and market and sell this WOE, would it be much more popular and would he be rich?
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mitsa
Stats: start 118/ goal 100
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: 05/26/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I wonder, if Dr J had found a way to package and market and sell this WOE, would it be much more popular and would he be rich?
Gotsomeold-- no doubt he has made money from the sale of the books. Not to mention the Resveratrol. But thats ok, sometimes we have to pay for someones knowledge. I dont have a problem with that.
Mitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
What a beautiful thread to reread. Makes my day.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 AM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I had fasted previously for health reasons as well as spiritual so when I started looking at IF, the first thought that came to me is that this is naturally the way our ancestors ate! I can honestly say I have never felt better in my life and more youthful! I am experiencing the wonderful benefits of JUDDD and been able to help others to see how great this is!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote