Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   I heart zucchini (attn shirataki haters!) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/768883-i-heart-zucchini-attn-shirataki-haters.html)

piratejenny 04-23-2012 03:09 PM

I heart zucchini (attn shirataki haters!)

I've been living on zucchini on DDs lately. I've tried cabbage & cauliflower for noodle and rice subsitutes, but I don't like the way they smell up the kitchen (or the leftovers, the fridge).

I don't mind shirataki noodles, but I find them a bit expensive for something that has no protein or vitamins whatsoever. An 8-10 oz zucc is pretty sizeable & filling; 16 oz has 73 calories & 5.5g protein. In comparison, a large egg has 72 calories & 6.3g protein. Also, zucc has tons of potassium!

My "trick" is to grate it, then cook it. It has a mouthfeel very similar to noodles or rice this way. I used to make soups for a deli where we kept the soups hot for 8 or more hours every day; for some reason, the veggies didn't get mushy & horribly overcooked when I grated them! :up: (works for carrots, too)

Today I even made "oatmeal" with zucchini!

KeirasMom 04-23-2012 03:14 PM

Can you share your recipes? I love zucchini and have no idea what to do with it besides saute it in a pan!

Yam-Yam 04-23-2012 03:23 PM

I love zucchini too!!!!

Dawn: You can make the best lasagna with it! Just slice it long ways, place it between 2 paper towels for a few minutes to get any extra moisture out if you want (I don't. The recipe said to do it that way but I don't want to lose any nutrients.)

Then, instead of lasagna noodles, just layer in the zucchini where the noodles would have been.

I've even done a lasagna using half whole wheat noodles and half zucchini 'cos DH likes it that way.

I also chop it small, sautee it and then add all the ingredients for spaghetti sauce. I use it in soup all the time. If I'm making anything with cabbage, including coleslaw, I add zucchini. You can add it chopped or you can grate it.

On UDs, make zucchini bread!!! We have always grown zucchini in our summer garden so have tons. I bake bunches of loaves of zucchini bread and give it away.

BTW: Don't peel it!!! I saw my niece peeling zucchini and I about clobbered her!!!:hyst:

Yam-Yam 04-23-2012 03:26 PM

Use it in omelets! Or, grate it and put it in muffins! They turn out so moist!

KeirasMom 04-23-2012 03:32 PM

Yam, you presume that I know how to make such intricate delicacies as soup and lasagna! :hyst:

jem51 04-23-2012 03:55 PM

I love it too!

In summer I have only 2 plants and use it for zoodles, salads, gazpacho, snackers and, of course, my wonderful pureed soup, and anything else.

I do not grow cukes anymore. Garden fresh zucch is so sweet!!

sunday 04-23-2012 04:07 PM

OHMY! I love zucchini, but I guess I thought it was too carby! I will try this tomorrow! :jumpjoy::jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

ellgee 04-23-2012 04:08 PM

I actually bought a spiral veggie slicer (spirooli) for making zucchini noodles. Have I yet? No. But maybe this summer!

b_lou_who 04-23-2012 04:39 PM

Zucchini carbonara is fab

buttoni 04-23-2012 05:01 PM

I love the stuff, too. I like to make zoodles and add a little carrot or yellow squash julienned up in it for a change of pace and some color impact. Makes great primaveras with just a tad of meat leftovers.

KathyL 04-23-2012 05:27 PM

Hmmm, I will have to give some of these ideas a try. I've only eaten it in quick breads/muffins, and breaded and fried. I'm always looking for ways to get more veggies in my diet. :)

mykidsteacher 04-23-2012 07:14 PM

These sound yummy! Dh has zukes planted and we always have a ton of them. We love it here, but it's mostly either stir fried, or breaded and deep fried.

piratejenny 04-23-2012 07:24 PM

I keep losing my posts....:( maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

I think there's a recipe for zucchini pudding in my Indian cookbook.

Yam-Yam 04-23-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15604284)
Yam, you presume that I know how to make such intricate delicacies as soup and lasagna! :hyst:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I can teach you! Seriously!:rofl::rofl:

Sheridan 04-23-2012 08:50 PM

Mix shredded zucchini w/ an egg or two and some Parmesan cheese and you've got the 'crust' for a fabulous quiche.

We just picked the first zucchini of the year from our garden a few days ago and we were in heaven! Sliced it, dipped it in a light tempura batter then dipped them in Panko crumbs and fried them. Oh my. :yummy: :heart:

zipp2play 04-24-2012 05:56 AM

WE love Zucchini at our house too!

sophiethecat 04-24-2012 06:31 AM

I love zucchini too, and I grate it as well. I find ways to add it to lots of recipes, including omelets, salads, stir-fries, casseroles, etc. I even add it to crab cake recipes.

Thanks for the nutrition info, PJ. :) I would like to have your "oatmeal" recipe when you have time. :)

leonak 04-24-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttoni (Post 15604494)
I love the stuff, too. I like to make zoodles and add a little carrot or yellow squash julienned up in it for a change of pace and some color impact. Makes great primaveras with just a tad of meat leftovers.

What is "primaveras?:dunno:

I put Z in my meatloaf, meatballs, and stuffing too!

Great thread!:shake:

LayMiz 04-24-2012 07:03 AM

What do u need to make zoodles?

jem51 04-24-2012 07:30 AM

I first started making zoodles as a raw fooder.

I just julienne but you can make wide, thin strips w a vegie peeler or spend some money and by a spiralizer gadget.
A mandolin might be cheaper but a good knife works great.

Some peop saute them but I just cover them w piping hot sauce and they wilt.

Becky 04-24-2012 07:35 AM

I ADORE Zucchini, grow it in my garden and eat tons of it during the summer. My mom even bought me a Zucchini cookbook for Christmas as she knows how much I adore it.

piratejenny 04-24-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15605622)
Thanks for the nutrition info, PJ. :) I would like to have your "oatmeal" recipe when you have time. :)

I just cooked one 8 oz grated zucchini in about 1/4 c water until soft. Then added 1/2c almond milk, a lot of cinnamon, pinch of salt, and SF pancake syrup. About 70-80 calories.

To make it heartier, I then crumbled in a couple of bran crackers (24 calories).

I don't often have oatmeal in the house, but I bet if you added a little oatmeal to the zucchini (or zucchini to your regular oatmeal recipe), it would be good!

jem51 04-24-2012 10:14 AM

Oh, PJ, that sounds good. I might just try that w a touch of oat bran.