Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Interesting read about avoiding loose skin! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/768859-interesting-read-about-avoiding-loose-skin.html)

bevonjuddd 04-23-2012 10:54 AM

Interesting read about avoiding loose skin!

Google: bodyfatguide and The Myth of Loose Skin

Nearly halfway through, there is a section called Non-Surgical Removal of "Loose Skin" which implies that a JUDDD style (alternate day fasting) diet is a good way to avoid losing muscle rather than fat.

Good to know.

casmira 04-23-2012 11:29 AM

Thanks very much for this article. This is a topic close to my heart - I don't want to work this hard to be left with hanging skin all over!

Yam-Yam 04-23-2012 11:32 AM

What a great article!!! Thank you for posting this. Being 57 myself, I also loved reading the testimonial letter from the 57 year old who lost 100 pounds and is working on building lean muscle mass and seeing results with tightening skin.

I have not had a problem with loose or jiggly skin except for a bit in my upper thighs (saddle bags?:dunno:) and maybe that's because I'm losing more fat than muscle.

I liked this quote:

"...lean body mass replenishment can also occur over several days following a period of very strict dieting, fasting, or alternate-day fasting. For example, a person who fasts for several days is in a continuous state of gluconeogenesis, and often follows the fast with a controlled re-feeding period to restore healthy lean weight. Interestingly, I believe part of the reason why females develop anorexia is because they omit this recovery of muscle from dieting, which they consider unimportant in their drive for thinness. Males are less likely to disregard replenishment of their muscle mass."

Wow. This article answers so many questions!!! When we are on a fat-burning WOE like JUDD, the regain on the scale after UDs or a "re-feed" or a regular workout regime is due to muscle maintenance and lean mass gain. I love this!!! And, it's retaining lean muscle mass and even gaining it while losing and burning fat that keeps our skin tight. So cool! Again, thanks for sharing this! Love it!:high5::jumpjoy::sing:

Better With Age 04-23-2012 11:40 AM

Wow

That is very interesting. I thought I was doomed to have loose skin from more than an decade of being obese. It is definitely motivation to exercise and incorporate weights into my workout. Thanks for sharing that.

sterlinggirl 04-23-2012 12:10 PM

i soo have to get my jiggles in gear and start a toning plan... I want to look good naked!~:hyst:

sunday 04-23-2012 12:11 PM

Wow! Thank you for this info! I knew that this may be the case with IF, because I read on some of the scientific studies of this one amazing benefit! Great to be able to pass this on to my friends who are naysayers on the JUDDDing. :hugs: :jumpjoy:

casmira 04-23-2012 12:21 PM

Well aren't we amazing that by accident we hit on the right WOE!!

b_lou_who 04-23-2012 01:55 PM

suppose that is a big part of what is going on when inches are decreasing but scale isn't moving? works for me. come on non saggy arms and belly!!

Luna Loca 04-23-2012 02:06 PM

This is a good article. Confirms what I've been suspecting lately with my loose skin. I just can tell there's fat under there, it's not just loose. The comment about skin that is truly loose would hang in very thin sheets is a good one. If, like me, there is "stuff" under that loose skin, it's fat and there's more work to be done.

KathyL 04-23-2012 02:44 PM

Hmmm, so as I suspected.....I still have plenty of fat to lose yet need to replenish muscle loss. And just how does one go about doing that?

brehede 04-23-2012 02:58 PM

Thanks very much - I sometimes get discouraged thinking about loose skin & can let it become a disincentive......

Luna Loca 04-23-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathyL (Post 15604134)
Hmmm, so as I suspected.....I still have plenty of fat to lose yet need to replenish muscle loss. And just how does one go about doing that?

I think exercise is the only way to do that...especially weight lifting, but also anything that is getting you to use your muscles, kwim? They grow when we use them!

KeirasMom 04-23-2012 03:09 PM

If I replenished enough muscle to keep the skin from sagging, I'd look like Arnold Schwarzenegger! :hyst:

KathyL 04-23-2012 05:20 PM

Dawn! LOL

I already exercise daily, 1-2 hours. I lift weights, run, walk, kick box, yoga, bike, and anything else I get the chance to do. *sigh*

ellgee 04-23-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 15604229)
If I replenished enough muscle to keep the skin from sagging, I'd look like Arnold Schwarzenegger! :hyst:

And I'd be Hulk Hogan! Bwaaaaaaaaaa!!! :rofl:

nickicaps 04-24-2012 07:37 AM

I read an article about cascaded dry fasting, which is what I want to eventually build up to. It is supposed to be excellent at removing cellulite and shrinking loose skin. Basically you workup to zero food AND liquid every other day. I know someone firsthand who did this for only a month and her cellulite disappeared. I just can't imagine not drinking water for an entire day!

Yam-Yam 04-24-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathyL (Post 15604134)

Eat lean protein to maintain and build lean muscle mass. After that, strength/resistance training.

Get yourself a copy of Miriam Nelson's book, "Strong Women Stay Young". It's awesome!!! You don't have to kill yourself to build muscle and make a huge difference and strengthen your bones. She gives you 8 simple exercises you can do at home twice a week for 20 minutes and you will not believe how quickly your body responds!!

babykinz 04-24-2012 07:50 AM

No offense but I wouldn't listen to what the author of the article is saying with too much belief. If you follow his webpage link it will take you too a cheesy website with an obvious photoshopped transformation model. Go further and check out the book on Amazon and you will find an extremely over priced book and many bad reviews.

His one quote got me really upset...
Quote:

I challenge anyone to show me a photo of a woman with 10% body fat who has loose skin. No one will be able to do so because a woman with 10% body fat has very little excess body fat, and therefore she has no "loose skin," regardless how overweight she may have once been. (Click for examples of female Hollywood Celebrities with 10% body fat.)
Hollywood celebrities with 10% body fat did not start out at 200 pounds! So why WOULD they have saggy skin? And you can bet your lunch some that had children did get tummy tucks.

I am not dismissing his whole idea but I just would not put too much hope into it. I know women who are very thin and work out like crazy that still have baby pooches on their bellies. My husband is a very muscular man who has lost a lot of weight recently due to a physically demanding job and his upper arms, which are pretty much solid muscle has some loose skin right around his armpit...... just saying. :(

nickicaps 04-24-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 15605855)
Eat lean protein to maintain and build lean muscle mass. After that, strength/resistance training.

Get yourself a copy of Miriam Nelson's book, "Strong Women Stay Young". It's awesome!!! You don't have to kill yourself to build muscle and make a huge difference and strengthen your bones. She gives you 8 simple exercises you can do at home twice a week for 20 minutes and you will not believe how quickly your body responds!!

Something a little off the beaten path that I have read but seems to be true is that healthy raw fat (avocados, nuts, seeds) build muscle more than protein. It didn't make sense to me at first but I made my body building boyfriend the guinea pig. At first he panicked without his daily "protein water" and bars, but after 3 weeks of replacing those snacks with avocado and nuts, he went from benching 330 to 360! Pretty cool stuff! And now he eats BOTH lean protein and healthy fat and is loving the results.

Dottie 04-24-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babykinz (Post 15605867)
No offense but I wouldn't listen to what the author of the article is saying with too much belief. If you follow his webpage link it will take you too a cheesy website with an obvious photoshopped transformation model. Go further and check out the book on Amazon and you will find an extremely over priced book and many bad reviews.

His one quote got me really upset...

Hollywood celebrities with 10% body fat did not start out at 200 pounds! So why WOULD they have saggy skin? And you can bet your lunch some that had children did get tummy tucks.

I am not dismissing his whole idea but I just would not put too much hope into it. I know women who are very thin and work out like crazy that still have baby pooches on their bellies. My husband is a very muscular man who has lost a lot of weight recently due to a physically demanding job and his upper arms, which are pretty much solid muscle has some loose skin right around his armpit...... just saying. :(

I kind of felt that way reading it, too.
He talks about skin like it's a flat piece of paper. Skin is more like origami! There are layers and layers, not just 1 flat piece.

Muffabuff 04-25-2012 12:55 AM

Babykinz, I'm with you, I've heard of actresses who have had tummy tucks along with their c-sections. Two recoveries in one and no ones the wiser. I just love when Demi Moore talks about how she keeps herself looking so young and fit, but fails to mention the tens of thousands of dollars she's spent on liposuction (even on her knees) .If we could simply afford to suck out most of our excess fat and then photoshop every pic of ourselves we would have perfectly smooth skin also. Did anyone see the preggers naked pic of Jessica Simpson? She looks like she's gained about 100 lbs but in the pic she looked like at best she put on 30 lb. it was ridiculous. Funny how a hefty bank account seems to correspond to tight smooth skin in our society. Nice if you have it, but at least be honest. Phew I feel better already lol

KathyL 04-25-2012 02:58 PM

Thanks for the book rec....I'll check it out. I try to eat a good amount of lean proten and incorporate healthier fats. I used to eat raw almonds everyday but stopped that when I started JUDDD because they are so high in cal. Guess I need to revisit that. :)

Tamilda 04-26-2012 12:17 PM

Yep, I tend to research stuff I read too, as any one can say whatever they want to say, especially to sell a book. Look at the weight loss products out there that promise slim, trim bodies in no time at all! Losing weight is hard work and the skin will bounce back to a degree with exercise. However, realistically, if you lose alot of weight in a relatively short amount of time ( one year vs 2 or 3), you are going to have some saggy skin. Fact of life. I'll take saggy skin over flabby fat any day. Some research also shows that given time and continued exercise, those skin problem areas will eventually firm up, maybe not 100%, but better than at first. And if it really bothers you, there is always surgery. :)

bevonjuddd 05-04-2012 12:02 AM

Agree about the website - it's a hard sell, but the point I was making is that there seems to be some evidence that intermittent fasting etc help to avoid muscle loss when losing weight. Which is another point in its favour.