Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Please help me get my UD under control! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/768768-please-help-me-get-my-ud-under-control.html)

nickicaps 04-23-2012 06:48 AM

Please help me get my UD under control!

Happy Monday my loves :)

I had the second UD in a row where I totally pigged out. I am only two weeks in and this is NOT how I wanted to start.

While the DD are miserable and leave me felling weak and grumpy, I can stick to the numbers, even when going out at night with friends.

For some reason though the last couple of UD have been EMBARRASSING!! Just eating all day long, well over my calories, and feeling like I am totally out of control.

I am even considering going back to coffee (something that works for a lot of people but really messes with my skin and digestive system) just to get some appetite suppression going. I really don't want to go down that road though.

I start out on UD eating really healthy (lots of raw vegan stuff) but ut just falls apart from there.

Any advice would be awesome! I haven't weighed myself bc I am scared that if there is a gain, I will just give up, and I don't want to give up on JUDDD just yet.

Becky 04-23-2012 06:54 AM

Maybe the raw vegan healthy stuff isn't your friend at this point, you probably need more fat in your diet to make you feel fuller. When I was ravenous on my DDs everyone suggested more fat and it worked, should work just as well on a UD too. :up:

nickicaps 04-23-2012 06:57 AM

hmmm, more fat? That's interesting. Maybe I will add some coconut oil to my morning shake.

Thanks for the suggestion!

sophiethecat 04-23-2012 06:59 AM

Hi Nicki! :)

I'm sure others will be along with great suggestions, but what stands out to me right now is that you need to PLAN.

Plan this out, especially while you are still new to JUDDD and getting more used to it. Log your intended menu for UDs (and DDs) ahead of time. Look up the portions and their calories and plan what you will eat. It's OK if you need to deviate some during the actual day because things do come up in life that we don't expect, but if you plan then there is less chance you will just mindlessly eat or overdo the portion sizes.

Also, perhaps you are like many of us and need more protein and/or fat to help you feel satisfied and to stave off too much high carb/high calorie eating. Try to eat more foods on the LC side at each meal to help you feel full.

Work a treat in on each UD but don't feel you have to eat them all in one day. You can always have more treats/junkie foods on your future UDs.

Don't be too hard on yourself. :hugs: You said it's only the 2nd UD you've done this. You are catching it early. Anyway with JUDDD, it's never too late. All you do is go on with the rotation and do the best you can, and let it take care of itself. You are coming up on the time when the sirtuins start to wake up, stretch, and look around, raring to get busy, so KUTGW! :high5:

Eieio 04-23-2012 07:19 AM

Been there done that too. Smile.
Sophie thecat gives awesome advice. As always, love that cat lady!!
Just keep trying.
I did, and i went way over my dd numbers. It will happen
Ncaps, u will catch on. Don't give up.

sunday 04-23-2012 07:50 AM

Sophie nailed it! :goodpost: I can't do this WOE without planning on ****** every single bite. Now, when I get closer to goal, I may can wing it, but for now I have to remain loyal to the numbers. ;)

KeirasMom 04-23-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15602661)
Hi Nicki! :)

I'm sure others will be along with great suggestions, but what stands out to me right now is that you need to PLAN.

Plan this out, especially while you are still new to JUDDD and getting more used to it. Log your intended menu for UDs (and DDs) ahead of time. Look up the portions and their calories and plan what you will eat. It's OK if you need to deviate some during the actual day because things do come up in life that we don't expect, but if you plan then there is less chance you will just mindlessly eat or overdo the portion sizes.

Also, perhaps you are like many of us and need more protein and/or fat to help you feel satisfied and to stave off too much high carb/high calorie eating. Try to eat more foods on the LC side at each meal to help you feel full.

Work a treat in on each UD but don't feel you have to eat them all in one day. You can always have more treats/junkie foods on your future UDs.

Don't be too hard on yourself. :hugs: You said it's only the 2nd UD you've done this. You are catching it early. Anyway with JUDDD, it's never too late. All you do is go on with the rotation and do the best you can, and let it take care of itself. You are coming up on the time when the sirtuins start to wake up, stretch, and look around, raring to get busy, so KUTGW! :high5:

:goodpost:
Exactly! Plan, plan, plan, then when you've got a routine in a few weeks, you can loosen the reins a little bit.

It also helps some people to figure out how they want to allot their calories. For instance, 1/3 each for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Or if you know you need nighttime snacks, plan your other meals to allow for that.

vanilla_latte 04-23-2012 08:11 AM

Don't be hard on yourself. When JUDDD first came out, some of us called the first few UD's the "honeymoon phase" of JUDDD. It's losing that "diet" mentality, realizing you can actually eat, and enjoying the new found freedom!!

If you've only got a couple or even a few UD's under your belt (no pun intended :laugh: ), they'll get better once the newness of being able to eat wears off and you'll settle down.

sungoddess 04-23-2012 08:11 AM

As a person who has been out of control on up days, these are the things I do...

1. I changed my point of view. I was really thinking up days could be a food fest. When I began to understand that is not the case, I was able to reframe my approach to up days.

2. I take psyllium husks in water to give me some fiber. Any fiber helps like apple pectin, chia seeds, or other. It helps to put bulk in the stomach. Also pairing some fat and protein with each meal helps.

3. Consider that you could possibly have issues with wheat or sugar. Wheat belly talks about how eating wheat products can trigger the need for more and more and more. I found that happens to me. Also, sugar does that to some people. It can cause an insatiable craving for more and more. I found when I limited both my wheat and sugar, I could control my up days without obsessing about food. It works for some.

4. I try to keep my fat levels up to provide a sense of fullness and satisfaction. Coconut oil bark helps me. Also some nuts, if you aren't allergic.

5. Keep a diary and try to find what foods trigger you to eat more.

6. I take L-glutamine in powder form by the spoonful mixed in water 3x a day. It does wonder for cravings. It is something I learned from Dr Atkins years ago and it actually works.

7. As others said, plan ahead. Very key to do that.

8. Try to eliminate foods from the house that can cause you to eat and eat and eat.

9. Make your focus on health and try to eat cleaner , at least until you are well on track. Focus on filling foods like vegetables. I can eat almost a whole head of cauliflower and feel really full.

10. Use a calorie counter like ************ and diligently log the calories in.

11. If going out to a restaurant, definitely pre-plan what you are going to eat so it fits into your calories limits for the day.

12. Keep busy so you aren't thinking about food constantly. Do something to keep your hands busy.

13. Know that it does get better as you go on. Handling the up days has been a real process for me. I have been doing this for 3 months and FINALLY feel that I can handle them without eating the house down. As time goes on, I believe you will find that you make real changes to how you eat. You will naturally tend to go to healthier foods. It's a process and I know you will get there. If I can, you can. Try some of the tips listed here and see if it starts to make an impact. You can do it!

nickicaps 04-23-2012 08:50 AM

Sungoddess, thanks so much for the thoughtful suggestions. I just ordered the supplement you recommended and am in total agreement about the wheat/sugar issue. I am going to up the fats on all days as well....and lay off the huge quantities of chocolate....and make fmyfitnesspal my new BFF!!

sungoddess 04-23-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickicaps (Post 15603096)
Sungoddess, thanks so much for the thoughtful suggestions. I just ordered the supplement you recommended and am in total agreement about the wheat/sugar issue. I am going to up the fats on all days as well....and lay off the huge quantities of chocolate....and make fmyfitnesspal my new BFF!!

:up::up: Awesome. You WILL gain control of those up days. I am sure of it!:)

Dottie 04-23-2012 09:31 AM

Plan, plan, plan then plan some more :laugh:
If something comes up that is not on your plan: can you shuffle the other foods for the calories? If not: you can "schedule" it for the day after tomorrow! :)

Yam-Yam 04-23-2012 09:44 AM

One thought I have: I noticed you are having a shake in the mornings. I have read that while shakes are good nutritionally, any calories in liquid form bypass the hunger control mechanism that is triggered by eating protein that you have to chew like fish, poultry, meat or eggs. So, your brain really does not compute that you have had enough to eat and you get hungrier sooner.

Another thought: For a while, automate your eating on UDs. In other words, plan out 5 or 10 meals that you really love and can eat over and over. This takes the guess work out. Say you make a strogonoff for dinner using ground turkey and whole wheat egg noodles with a side of spinach or brocolli and a salad.

Once you have calculated the calories, you can eat that on an UD if you like it (which I do very much) and already know in advance how many calories you are going to get.

You can plan healthy omelets for breakfast and grilled chicken for lunch.

I find that lean protein is very satisfying and filling for me. So, I always have lots of leftover grilled chicken breast or roasted turkey or sirloin steak in the fridge. It just kills my cravings.

I also heard Chris Powell on Dr. Oz recently talking about why 2 teaspoons of coconut oil is an appetite suppressant. I make myself a hot cup of SF, FF hot chocolate and stir in a teaspoon or more of EVCO and it really does kill my appetite on DDs or UDs and helps me stay in control.

It also cleans out your digestive system and a big bonus is that coconut oil cannot be stored as fat. It is super great for brain function and will improve cognitive function. It's also thermogenic, so helps to burn extra calories.

Hang in there! You will figure this all out and soon know what works for you!!:hugs:

Yam-Yam 04-23-2012 09:47 AM

One more thing: Coconut oil is great for your skin. Instead of going back to coffee, try the hot chocolate with coconut oil. Make sure it's extra virgin.

nickicaps 04-23-2012 10:32 AM

Yes, I have been using and consuming coconut oil for a few years (before it was popular and when people thought I was a little crazy for slathering my face in it ha) and I must say, it heals your body from the inside out! The lauric acid really helps rejuvenate the cells. Great idea with hot choco-coconut!

Since I am vegan, I can't follow the protein suggestions you outlined BUT I have been adding about 36 grams of protein to my shakes, which really helps.

I just don't feel right nutritionally when I skip my morning fruit and veg smoothie. The thing is that I am never hungry in the morning but night time is killer for me! I think that my stress/anxiety/insomnia begins to build by the evening and triggers the overeating. I will just have to be mindful of this and keep it in check.

Thanks as always ladies. You are all on my lottery recipient list!:D

mykidsteacher 04-23-2012 11:22 AM

If your shake works so well for you in the morning, can you do another mid-afternoon? Add some avocado or coconut oil to up the fat content as was mentioned.

What are you pigging out on? Lots of sweets? Carby stuff? What kind of sweetener do you use in the shake? What is a typical lunch? Are you getting enough protein/fat at lunch? What if you just bump all your eating back a few hours?

Maybe we can help pinpoint some triggers.

nickicaps 04-23-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykidsteacher (Post 15603568)
If your shake works so well for you in the morning, can you do another mid-afternoon? Add some avocado or coconut oil to up the fat content as was mentioned.

What are you pigging out on? Lots of sweets? Carby stuff? What kind of sweetener do you use in the shake? What is a typical lunch? Are you getting enough protein/fat at lunch? What if you just bump all your eating back a few hours?

Maybe we can help pinpoint some triggers.

Aw thanks for helping me figure this out! I don't use any sweeteners in my shakes- if I use a sweetener in general it is stevia or coconut nectar.

I am eating lots of sweets and carbs though- I start out so great with my shake. Lunch yesterday was some cabbage coleslaw, raw tacos (nut and mushroom based) with romaine leaves as the "shells" and a vegan cheese sauce with nutritional yeast. Then the BF wanted to order dinner and that's when I went off the rails- veggie burger, lemon potatoes, chocolate. Then a few hours later I was hanging out with a girlfriend and ended up with some brown rice toast and butter, popcorn, etc...you can see where this story ends!:o

Yam-Yam 04-23-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickicaps (Post 15603441)
Yes, I have been using and consuming coconut oil for a few years (before it was popular and when people thought I was a little crazy for slathering my face in it ha) and I must say, it heals your body from the inside out! The lauric acid really helps rejuvenate the cells. Great idea with hot choco-coconut!

Since I am vegan, I can't follow the protein suggestions you outlined BUT I have been adding about 36 grams of protein to my shakes, which really helps.

I just don't feel right nutritionally when I skip my morning fruit and veg smoothie. The thing is that I am never hungry in the morning but night time is killer for me! I think that my stress/anxiety/insomnia begins to build by the evening and triggers the overeating. I will just have to be mindful of this and keep it in check.

How about a big bowl of edamame at night time?? It's a complete protein and I'm sure has an SDA of 30% (Specific Dynamic Action) which means you would not really have to count 30% of the calories in your daily allowance.

Make some air popped pop corn to go with it (I really like Orville Reddenbacher's because it has less leftover kernals and the corn pops up really big and fluffy. More filling). I spray ICBINB on it because it has zero sodium but tastes salty. Yum!

nickicaps 04-23-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yam-Yam (Post 15603611)
How about a big bowl of edamame at night time?? It's a complete protein and I'm sure has an SDA of 30% (Specific Dynamic Action) which means you would not really have to count 30% of the calories in your daily allowance.

Make some air popped pop corn to go with it (I really like Orville Reddenbacher's because it has less leftover kernals and the corn pops up really big and fluffy. More filling). I spray ICBINB on it because it has zero sodium but tastes salty. Yum!

Awesome ideas!! I love soybeans and of course popcorn. Thanks so much!

vanilla_latte 04-23-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickicaps (Post 15603441)

:up: :D

RebeccaSimpson 04-23-2012 12:14 PM

Hi Nickicaps

I'm not doing juddd yet, but will start in one week! Going away for a weekend trip ,so thought it would be safer to start when I'm back. But I'm reading here almost everyday, and learning a lot so far. I am a raw vegan as well, and carbs are the worst for me... I haven't eaten carbs in a long time, and went overboard one week ago... I stayed at a hotel and the breakfast buffet got the best of me... I haven't craved carbes but since I have been eating it, I fancy it again. It's like I have rewaken the cravings. I indulged once more last week, even though I felt how bad it made me feel the last time. I got so tired from it, and felt like run over by a bus. Now I try to eat only fat/protein and veggies for a couple of days, that should help me to get over my cravings. Maybe it helps you to make a list of your favorite raw vegan dishes, and prepare them for yourself. Remember that you feel sooner full on raw food, because of nutrition it gives you. Hope that helpes you!

Muffabuff 04-23-2012 12:36 PM

Nickicaps I thought that occurred to me when I read your post was this. Maybe you are panicking a bit on your UD about tomorrow being another dreaded down day. You know how before you start a diet you eat every thing in sight because the next day you can't have it. Well on juddd it's kind of like because we only really diet every other day, tomarrow starts another mini one day diet. So maybe emotionally that's how you're reacting. Once you get used to the fact that every other day you actually can have some of the foods you love you will be able to calm down and just do the rotations naturally. I do hope you get to read this as I'm pretty far down here lol! Hugs:hugs:
Vanessa

nickicaps 04-23-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muffabuff (Post 15603789)
Nickicaps I thought that occurred to me when I read your post was this. Maybe you are panicking a bit on your UD about tomorrow being another dreaded down day. You know how before you start a diet you eat every thing in sight because the next day you can't have it. Well on juddd it's kind of like because we only really diet every other day, tomarrow starts another mini one day diet. So maybe emotionally that's how you're reacting. Once you get used to the fact that every other day you actually can have some of the foods you love you will be able to calm down and just do the rotations naturally. I do hope you get to read this as I'm pretty far down here lol! Hugs:hugs:
Vanessa

Vanessa!:shake: awesome thought and very likely true. I think a lot of this is emotional :-) I am totally compliant on my DD like today but then I get a little panicky on my UD knowing that the rotation continues. I will just have to work through this best I can.

Rebecca! So nice to see another silly vegan on here- let's share recipes :high5:

mykidsteacher 04-23-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickicaps (Post 15603096)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickicaps (Post 15603601)
Aw thanks for helping me figure this out! I don't use any sweeteners in my shakes- if I use a sweetener in general it is stevia or coconut nectar.

I am eating lots of sweets and carbs though- I start out so great with my shake. Lunch yesterday was some cabbage coleslaw, raw tacos (nut and mushroom based) with romaine leaves as the "shells" and a vegan cheese sauce with nutritional yeast. Then the BF wanted to order dinner and that's when I went off the rails- veggie burger, lemon potatoes, chocolate. Then a few hours later I was hanging out with a girlfriend and ended up with some brown rice toast and butter, popcorn, etc...you can see where this story ends!:o

It does sound like the carbs/sweets may be triggering you, and it sounds like pp was on about the mental component too. I'd try cutting the sweets/carbs for a couple weeks to get sirt1 activated well, and then reintroduce a little at a time. The mental part will just happen as you realize you will be able to eat again the next day.

Just make a special effort to focus on fats/proteins and veggies for now.

I'm not vegan, but am allergic to eggs and dairy, so love searching vegan recipes for baking.

Jez 04-23-2012 01:17 PM

I also say to get more fat, for sure. When I was raw vegan I ate a lot of nut based things (and didn't gain an ounce, at all-- didn't lose, but didn't gain that whole 6 months of 100%). My raw tacos were avocado based. Nuts, avocados, coconut oil, they're all really good at helping that.

buttoni 04-23-2012 05:06 PM

I find myself logging in my 4-5 oz. protein for each meal to ****** first off and then decide what veggies I can pad that up with and create pretty decent entrees/menus that way. I approach ordering out in restaurant on UD's that way, too. Mentally figure in my meat (knowing what a 4 oz portion is by now) and then order as many veggies as I can to go with that meat. It's working so far. Haven't gone over on an UD in a month; wen over on 1 of my DD's by a mere 8-10 calories, but that's just one time in a month. I've learned that my UD's, at 1655 calories, aren't all that much food, so I must still exercise a lot of psychological control to keep from going over on UD's.

nickicaps 04-23-2012 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykidsteacher (Post 15603881)
It does sound like the carbs/sweets may be triggering you, and it sounds like pp was on about the mental component too. I'd try cutting the sweets/carbs for a couple weeks to get sirt1 activated well, and then reintroduce a little at a time. The mental part will just happen as you realize you will be able to eat again the next day.

Just make a special effort to focus on fats/proteins and veggies for now.

I'm not vegan, but am allergic to eggs and dairy, so love searching vegan recipes for baking.

I see this a lot on these boards- people allergic to eggs and dairy. I also do not bake with wheat or sugar or soy but I have tons of great recipes. Maybe a thread is in order?:heart:

mykidsteacher 04-23-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickicaps (Post 15604514)
I see this a lot on these boards- people allergic to eggs and dairy. I also do not bake with wheat or sugar or soy but I have tons of great recipes. Maybe a thread is in order?:heart:

I think that would be a great idea. Most of the recipes I've come across are not DD suitable, but they are so yummy for an UD, and help keep me from feeling totally deprived that everyone else can enjoy yummy treats and I can't.