Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Musings on Victoria Beckham (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/768702-musings-victoria-beckham.html)

Luna Loca 04-22-2012 10:47 AM

Musings on Victoria Beckham

What a thread title... :stars:

I've had some extra time to kill this weekend with DH gone. So to alleviate my boredom I went to People magazine's website and started reading there. And read this story about Victoria Beckham (remember her, "Posh Spice" from the Spice girls back in the day? She's married to David Beckham, the soccer star). She is well known for being very very thin. Some have speculated eating disorder, she's so thin.

Anyway, the story goes, she had a birthday recently. She tweeted a picture of her birthday celebration fruit plate. It had "Happy Birthday Victoria" written on the edges of the plate in what looked like chocolate, which I'm imagining she didn't touch.

But a fruit plate? For your birthday??? And who here hasn't done that? I know I have. Always on a diet. I think the world wants to say to Victoria Beckham, "look, you have this beautiful, thin, maybe too thin, body. Relax and have a piece of cake on your birthday." But she won't, probably because she's afraid that one piece of cake will make her gain weight. Or that one piece of cake will turn into a three-week binge. Or whatever.

My point is not to bash on Victoria Beckham, I think we've all been to that place mentally, if not physically.

But that is the gift of JUDDD. It lets us relax and have a piece of cake, and not just on our birthday. What a gift we have been given, to have learned about this WOE and to be able to take the tools and apply them and enjoy our lives while regaining health and trimmer figures.

:high5:

mainemom 04-22-2012 10:51 AM

WONDERFUL post! Yes - love, love, love JUDDD (says the girl who just polished off a container of tiramisu 2 days ago - good, but still not the best. Still looking...)

heyjupiter 04-22-2012 11:07 AM

Sidebar...

I don't talk about my weight loss with anyone, but I know that at the very least, my family has noticed. What they SEE is me eating anything and everything. They must wonder what's going on as I don't eat like a "dieter!"

Or since I'm not stick thin, do people think the opposite? "oh, she shouldn't be eating like that! No wonder she's fat!!"

It's funny how we all have these perceptions of people, and oftentimes we don't see what's really going on!

Good post, op!

Hazelsmrf 04-22-2012 11:26 AM

This is really only a problem for her if she misses the cake or needs the cake. Maybe she's at a point where she appreciates whole foods and it doesn't require effort. I know she works out a ton, maybe in the past she's felt sick when she's put less optimal food in her body... I don't know, me personally I do still love junk, I'd love to be at a spot though where I don't crave processed stuff because I do believe my body would run better without it.

Luna Loca 04-22-2012 12:01 PM

Jupiter, and Hazel, these are good points.

I just love how relaxed about food this WOE is making me. Celebrations can be relaxed and simple, no special orders of diet foods, yep, I'll have a piece of cake! Going out to eat, yep, I'll have something good and satisfying and not just nibble on a lettuce leaf.

I never meant to say or imply that Victoria Beckham is making bad choices--fruit is a wonderful and healthy thing to eat, I eat a lot of it myself.

But I know with JUDDD I'm not limited to fruit any longer for big celebration days like birthdays or weddings. With JUDDD we can say, why yes! I'd love a piece of cake.

Sheridan 04-22-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luna Loca (Post 15601114)
Jupiter, and Hazel, these are good points.

I just love how relaxed about food this WOE is making me. Celebrations can be relaxed and simple, no special orders of diet foods, yep, I'll have a piece of cake! Going out to eat, yep, I'll have something good and satisfying and not just nibble on a lettuce leaf.

I never meant to say or imply that Victoria Beckham is making bad choices--fruit is a wonderful and healthy thing to eat, I eat a lot of it myself.

But I know with JUDDD I'm not limited to fruit any longer for big celebration days like birthdays or weddings. With JUDDD we can say, why yes! I'd love a piece of cake.

I hear ya'! I myself can never envision being happy with a celebratory fruit plate! And now I don't have to pretend to be happy with it, either! :jumpjoy:

Tamilda 04-22-2012 12:22 PM

My husband made me a beautiful double chocolate cake with fudge frosting for my birthday. I didn't eat any of it, just shared it with all of my friends and family. He understood and knows why. The reason being I just can't have that one piece of cake and I think perhaps there are others out there that are the same way. Not bashing your post, really, just saying I can totally understand NOT having the cake and eating fruit instead. Healthy is more important to me than cake and easter candy:o or any other goodies that I can be tempted to eat. I don,t know if she has health issues or just really watches what she eats. It,s all good, as you said. :)
Tami

gotitnow 04-22-2012 04:02 PM

I'm in total agreement with you on this, Luna!!!....Oh...Yeah.....Oh...Yeah......some caaake.....some caaake.....or whatever ellllllse...I waaaant.....Oh...Yeah.....Oh...Yeah!!! There is a tune in MY head!! :jumpjoy::jumpjoy:

tiva 04-22-2012 04:52 PM

She's gluten intolerant. So she can't eat cake.

JanetTN 04-22-2012 05:54 PM

I think I'm going to go make and eat some chocolate chip cookies in honor of Victoria Beckham's birthday!! And then I might eat some healthy fruit since I have almost 500 calories left :jumpjoy: The best thing is that however you choose to eat, nothing is off limits.

sungoddess 04-22-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiva (Post 15601689)
She's gluten intolerant. So she can't eat cake.

My girlfriend has to eat gluten free and she had the most delicious gluten free wedding cake. It was really delicious. It is kind of nice now that bakeries are doing this. I liked it better than "real cake"!!

Quote:

I think I'm going to go make and eat some chocolate chip cookies in honor of Victoria Beckham's birthday!! And then I might eat some healthy fruit since I have almost 500 calories left The best thing is that however you choose to eat, nothing is off limits.
Too funny!!!! Yes, I agree that for me, the best thing about JUDDD is I can choose to eat cake and feel no guilt!

Muffabuff 04-22-2012 11:51 PM

She can't be too afraid of gaining weight, she recently had her forth child.

Hatewashingup 04-23-2012 04:08 AM

I'd love a fruit plate on my birthday...

For breakfast! And then cake for elevenses. Hehe

Hatewashingup 04-23-2012 04:11 AM

Oh and as others day gluten allergy sufferers can still eat cake - my favourite cake in the world is actually a vegan gluten free fruit cake that my mum makes! Gluten free baked goods tend to come out a bit denser than usual, but in my book, that is a gooood thing...

casmira 04-23-2012 04:16 AM

I actually admire VB and her ability to control her weight. She shows the kind of single-minded determination I wish I had. I wouldn't want to be as slim as she is, but in fairness to her, it's an integral part of her career.

lola5k 04-23-2012 04:18 AM

:goodpost:

Becky 04-24-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 15601143)
I hear ya'! I myself can never envision being happy with a celebratory fruit plate! And now I don't have to pretend to be happy with it, either! :jumpjoy:

:laugh:I wouldn't scoff at a big plateful of strawberries for my upcoming Birthday......smothered in Chocolate!!! (of course). :D

nickicaps 04-24-2012 08:05 AM

I guess I am in the minority, but I would adore a beautiful fruit plate (bananas, kiwi, pineapple, strawberries) along with some raw no sugar dipping chocolate...yummy!

Dottie 04-24-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickicaps (Post 15605918)
I guess I am in the minority, but I would adore a beautiful fruit plate (bananas, kiwi, pineapple, strawberries) along with some raw no sugar dipping chocolate...yummy!

Me too:)

I honestly think VB is one of those women who are just naturally thin, too. Like Calista Flockhart (sp?). She got a lot of crap when she was on tv about being "too thin", but it's her natural size. :shrug:
I don't have that "problem" lol.

Kiley2801 04-24-2012 08:57 AM

Fruit for a birthday treat is acceptable...... but only when it's embedded in a delicious pie with whipped cream on top! LOL

As for VB, she was not nearly that thin when she was in the Spice Girls. I think she really works hard at staying teeny-tiny.

free2b 04-24-2012 09:30 AM

I agree Luna. It is a wonderful gift and one I appreciate every single day!:goodpost:

LJB 04-24-2012 09:34 AM

I would be happier eating some fruit than a piece of cake.

Give me a lovely bouquet of Edible Arrangements for my birthday instead of a cake and I would be thrilled!

vanilla_latte 04-24-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyjupiter (Post 15601025)
Or since I'm not stick thin, do people think the opposite? "oh, she shouldn't be eating like that! No wonder she's fat!!"

Since I try to stay mainly low carb, that is what I imagine people are thinking when I'm asking for more sour cream, butter, cheese, etc. :laugh: