Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Justwaiting
Protein shakes

I see a lot of you drinking these. Do you buy them, make them? What do they consist of?
Justwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sterlinggirl
Stats: 225/166/165 47 5'9
WOE: JUDDD FOR LIFE!
Start Date: Jan 2012. Name Kimberly
Hi dont have an answer i do not drink them.. but i wanted to at least say i did read and notice your post
sterlinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mad4Chillas
Stats: S-16 C-16 G-4
WOE: Atkins Induction/Meat & Egg Fasting
Start Date: 4/5/11 & 1/13/14
I make them a lot, especially when I dont have time to 'sit down and eat'

I use 1 Scoop of Egg White Protein Powder + 12 Oz. Unsweetened Almond Milk/Coconut Milk + Ice

Blend til frothy, enjoy

Just noticed this is for JUDDD----However, the calories are only 155 per serving to be fair...
Mad4Chillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I make them a lot, but a bit differently depending if it's an up or down day. On DDs, I use 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I have the Pure Protein brand), 1 cup sliced frozen strawberries, vanilla torani syrup, 1 individual container Dannon Oikos FF plain Greek yogurt, EZ sweets to taste, ice. Then blend til all is pureed. This makes a HUGE smoothie, so you can drink some now and set some aside to drink later. I calculated this at about 310 cals, so it is a chunk for the day, but the protein and bulk of it is really hunger-satisfying to me, then I'll eat some protein and veggies for dinner. Also, now that I received my Capella drops from Netrition, I can add more flavoring w/o adding more sweetness (unless I want that). On my up days, I use my full fat Greek yogurt (Greek Gods brand - so thick and yummy), and added some pineapple and a small chunk of banana, but omitted the strawberries. I added Capella Pina Colada drops and it tasted just like a pina colada. I'm thinking of trying some less caloric protein powder - lots of people on this forum and the LC main lobby like the Syntrax Nectar brand, and wld save me 40 cals per scoop over my current Pure Protein brand.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heyjupiter
If you like 'em, drink 'em.

Otherwise, what's the point? I think of them as diet food (think slim fast...ewwww!) and stay far far away. But, I do know some drink them for exercise reasons as well.

This is JUDDD and we get REAL food. Isn't that the point? Lol
heyjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hatewashingup
Stats: 135/114/108
WOE: Juddd/Vegetable lover!
Start Date: January 2012
I start nearly every UD with a protein shake after my morning workout (I like to warn my tummy, 'hey, watch out, food is coming!' lol).

I make my own, I use hemp protein cos I'm vegan but I think most people like to use whey protein.

I don't have a recipe but I usually whizz up some protein powder with silken tofu (makes it really creamy for extra protein and not many cals), frozen cherries, some cocoa powder and vanilla and something to sweeten it (I use carob powder but thats quite unusual...). I am a chocolate fiend so for me it feels like a treat, having basically a chocolate milkshake for brekkie!

JUDDDING and exercising my last few unwanted pounds away!
Hatewashingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tamilda
Stats: 270/215/145
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 8/09/11 Atkins @ 270
I use them too, especially on dd. It helps to keep me full right away in the morning for breakfast until usually afternoon. I just use the Designer whey protein powder in chocolate and some water and ice, blend it up and it,s only 100 calories! Like I said, great for a dd, get my protein in so I can work out and keeps my appetite at bay.
Tami
Tamilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: debbiejo
Stats: 218/218/130
Start Date: 01/01/2013
Thanks to Pinterest I found a "Green Shake" that's low in calories but high in Nutrition. It has spinach yes spinach. I use 2-3 handfuls. I add strawberries or any berry I happen to have on hand. Even KIWI. Then I add almond milk, greek yogurt, and ice. It's very very yummy. Mine clocks in at less than 200 calories
debbiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nickicaps
WOE: Raw Vegan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjupiter View Post
If you like 'em, drink 'em.

Otherwise, what's the point? I think of them as diet food (think slim fast...ewwww!) and stay far far away. But, I do know some drink them for exercise reasons as well.

This is JUDDD and we get REAL food. Isn't that the point? Lol

Not entirely true...

On DD, I find that they give me clean energy and really cut down on cravings. Being vegan, it is an easier way for me to get my protein than through high calorie nuts. AND the protein I use is Sun Warrior,which is 100% real food.

I mix mine with half a banana, vanilla extract, unsweetened chocolate almond milk, and ice. 160 calories of yummy bliss!
nickicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
I drink them after a workout. I use Designer Whey 100 Calories brand (any flavor), and Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. Add whatever SF DaVinci syrup, some ice and blend it up. On an UD, I'll also throw in an egg.

I just adjust the amounts depending on if it's an UD or DD.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
Another post workout user here. It helps muscles recover after lifting weights. I can tell the diff. when I cut back using them so I'm back to having them daily since I do workout a lot. It's an easy way to increase my protein intake. On DDs I simply mix mine with water. On UDs it depends on my food plan...sometimes I still just mix with water, other times I'll add our fresh raw goatmilk or keifer that we make. But I love mixing it with greek yogurt & frozen organic fruit. Ups the protein even more and tastes almost as good as ice cream.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
I buy the pure protein frosty chocolate shakes at Walmart. $7 for 4. They have 120 c and 23 grams of protein. For DD's it is perfect for me as I have hypoglycemia and need to get my protein in. 23 grams of protein for 120 c is awesome!!!!!!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/176/164 5'8"
WOE: JUDDD
Suggestion, if you get the pure protein ones, they taste better if you pour them into a glass, my daughter puts ice with that too. The TIN the shake is in definitely adds and odd taste to it.
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
I too drink them on up days as a treat, I blend whey protein in my bullet with ice, almond milk, cream cheese and some frozen fruit. Its a healthy alternative to ice cream for me, its sugarfree and low carb.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykinz View Post
I too drink them on up days as a treat, I blend whey protein in my bullet with ice, almond milk, cream cheese and some frozen fruit. Its a healthy alternative to ice cream for me, its sugarfree and low carb.
I do this, as well and they're yummy! I add a little xanthan gum or gluc to make it shake-like. I just got the gluc so I'm still experimenting. One shake I made was almost like ice cream. I used strawberries, strawberry protein, almond milk and some sweetener.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
I made one this morning that has kept me full all morning and into the afternoon.

1 Scoop of Syntrax Nectar brand protein powder in cappucino flavor (zero carbs, zero fat, 25 grams of protein and 100 calories)
2 TB Hersheys unsweetened cocoa
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 Teaspoon coconut Oil
5 ice cubes
1 Teaspoon Gluc powder

Blend together WELL and serve over more ice if you like it extra cold! Delicious and filling for 200 calories. Tastes almost like a mocha frappacino.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote