Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Protein shakes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/768679-protein-shakes.html)

Justwaiting 04-22-2012 07:14 AM

Protein shakes

I see a lot of you drinking these. Do you buy them, make them? What do they consist of?

sterlinggirl 04-22-2012 10:11 AM

Hi dont have an answer i do not drink them.. but i wanted to at least say i did read and notice your post :hugs:

Mad4Chillas 04-22-2012 10:12 AM

I make them a lot, especially when I dont have time to 'sit down and eat'

I use 1 Scoop of Egg White Protein Powder + 12 Oz. Unsweetened Almond Milk/Coconut Milk + Ice

Blend til frothy, enjoy :)

Just noticed this is for JUDDD----However, the calories are only 155 per serving to be fair...

mainemom 04-22-2012 10:47 AM

I make them a lot, but a bit differently depending if it's an up or down day. On DDs, I use 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (I have the Pure Protein brand), 1 cup sliced frozen strawberries, vanilla torani syrup, 1 individual container Dannon Oikos FF plain Greek yogurt, EZ sweets to taste, ice. Then blend til all is pureed. This makes a HUGE smoothie, so you can drink some now and set some aside to drink later. I calculated this at about 310 cals, so it is a chunk for the day, but the protein and bulk of it is really hunger-satisfying to me, then I'll eat some protein and veggies for dinner. Also, now that I received my Capella drops from Netrition, I can add more flavoring w/o adding more sweetness (unless I want that). On my up days, I use my full fat Greek yogurt (Greek Gods brand - so thick and yummy), and added some pineapple and a small chunk of banana, but omitted the strawberries. I added Capella Pina Colada drops and it tasted just like a pina colada. I'm thinking of trying some less caloric protein powder - lots of people on this forum and the LC main lobby like the Syntrax Nectar brand, and wld save me 40 cals per scoop over my current Pure Protein brand.

heyjupiter 04-22-2012 11:11 AM

If you like 'em, drink 'em.

Otherwise, what's the point? I think of them as diet food (think slim fast...ewwww!) and stay far far away. But, I do know some drink them for exercise reasons as well.

This is JUDDD and we get REAL food. Isn't that the point? Lol

Hatewashingup 04-22-2012 11:28 AM

I start nearly every UD with a protein shake after my morning workout (I like to warn my tummy, 'hey, watch out, food is coming!' lol).

I make my own, I use hemp protein cos I'm vegan but I think most people like to use whey protein.

I don't have a recipe but I usually whizz up some protein powder with silken tofu (makes it really creamy for extra protein and not many cals), frozen cherries, some cocoa powder and vanilla and something to sweeten it (I use carob powder but thats quite unusual...). I am a chocolate fiend so for me it feels like a treat, having basically a chocolate milkshake for brekkie!

Tamilda 04-22-2012 12:09 PM

I use them too, especially on dd. It helps to keep me full right away in the morning for breakfast until usually afternoon. I just use the Designer whey protein powder in chocolate and some water and ice, blend it up and it,s only 100 calories! Like I said, great for a dd, get my protein in so I can work out and keeps my appetite at bay.
Tami

debbiejo 04-22-2012 01:40 PM

Thanks to Pinterest I found a "Green Shake" that's low in calories but high in Nutrition. It has spinach yes spinach. I use 2-3 handfuls. I add strawberries or any berry I happen to have on hand. Even KIWI. Then I add almond milk, greek yogurt, and ice. It's very very yummy. Mine clocks in at less than 200 calories

nickicaps 04-22-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyjupiter (Post 15601032)
If you like 'em, drink 'em.

Otherwise, what's the point? I think of them as diet food (think slim fast...ewwww!) and stay far far away. But, I do know some drink them for exercise reasons as well.

This is JUDDD and we get REAL food. Isn't that the point? Lol

Not entirely true...

On DD, I find that they give me clean energy and really cut down on cravings. Being vegan, it is an easier way for me to get my protein than through high calorie nuts. AND the protein I use is Sun Warrior,which is 100% real food.

I mix mine with half a banana, vanilla extract, unsweetened chocolate almond milk, and ice. 160 calories of yummy bliss!

vanilla_latte 04-23-2012 08:34 AM

I drink them after a workout. I use Designer Whey 100 Calories brand (any flavor), and Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. Add whatever SF DaVinci syrup, some ice and blend it up. On an UD, I'll also throw in an egg.

I just adjust the amounts depending on if it's an UD or DD.

KathyL 04-23-2012 08:42 AM

Another post workout user here. It helps muscles recover after lifting weights. I can tell the diff. when I cut back using them so I'm back to having them daily since I do workout a lot. It's an easy way to increase my protein intake. On DDs I simply mix mine with water. On UDs it depends on my food plan...sometimes I still just mix with water, other times I'll add our fresh raw goatmilk or keifer that we make. But I love mixing it with greek yogurt & frozen organic fruit. Ups the protein even more and tastes almost as good as ice cream. :)

zipp2play 04-23-2012 08:57 AM

I buy the pure protein frosty chocolate shakes at Walmart. $7 for 4. They have 120 c and 23 grams of protein. For DD's it is perfect for me as I have hypoglycemia and need to get my protein in. 23 grams of protein for 120 c is awesome!!!!!!

zipp2play 04-23-2012 08:58 AM

Suggestion, if you get the pure protein ones, they taste better if you pour them into a glass, my daughter puts ice with that too. The TIN the shake is in definitely adds and odd taste to it.

babykinz 04-23-2012 09:30 AM

I too drink them on up days as a treat, I blend whey protein in my bullet with ice, almond milk, cream cheese and some frozen fruit. Its a healthy alternative to ice cream for me, its sugarfree and low carb.

vanilla_latte 04-23-2012 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babykinz (Post 15603230)
I too drink them on up days as a treat, I blend whey protein in my bullet with ice, almond milk, cream cheese and some frozen fruit. Its a healthy alternative to ice cream for me, its sugarfree and low carb.

I do this, as well and they're yummy! I add a little xanthan gum or gluc to make it shake-like. I just got the gluc so I'm still experimenting. One shake I made was almost like ice cream. :yummy: I used strawberries, strawberry protein, almond milk and some sweetener.

Kiley2801 04-23-2012 10:23 AM

I made one this morning that has kept me full all morning and into the afternoon.

1 Scoop of Syntrax Nectar brand protein powder in cappucino flavor (zero carbs, zero fat, 25 grams of protein and 100 calories)
2 TB Hersheys unsweetened cocoa
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 Teaspoon coconut Oil
5 ice cubes
1 Teaspoon Gluc powder

Blend together WELL and serve over more ice if you like it extra cold! Delicious and filling for 200 calories. Tastes almost like a mocha frappacino. :yummy: