Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Justwaiting
Ready for JUDD almost

I have never heard of Judd until last week. I've been following a low- carb diet since the beginning of March and started struggling. While in the main lobby I've been discussing this some of you recommended Judd. I've spent the weekend researching, and not following any sort of plan. I'm ready, I'm going to start Judd tomorrow, wih my down day, I've had a few ups already! Lol
Couple questions-
I'm grocery shopping today- what to buy? What do you eat on your down days?
When switching to low- carb your really turned at first. Should I expect to feel any of this, or any other "side effects"?
Thans in advance, you seem like a great group.
Justwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I never had any side effects. Some people notice decreased energy at first, which returns and multiplies fairly quickly.

As for grocery shopping, it really depends on what you need to keep you satisfied. Some need to stay low carb, with small amounts of fat and protein, and very little else. Some need lots and lots of bulk, fresh fruits and vegetables. I personally fall somewhere in the middle. One of my favorite, filling DD meals is simply a peeled, sliced cucumber with a chopped roma tomato and 2 oz of tuna with ACV as dressing. This has plenty of bulk as well as a decent serving of protein.

I suggest you read up on the DD menus thread, and check out the "It's ---day, what are you eating" threads for other good ideas.

Good luck and

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #3

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
You will have ball doing this. Also on the HCG forum they have great low calorie recipes.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD

Just a few on my list for down days are...

Just make sure you have plenty of variety on your DDs so you are not tempted for higher calorie alternatives.

ENJOY!
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NoWeigh
Stats: 58 Yrs. & Hypothyroid
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD April 1st January – March ate LC/LC
One of the things that I found in my pantry on my first DD was a can of Progresso soup. The entire can was 140 calories. I put in a tablespoon of Frank's Red Hot and that was a great meal. Something about the spicy-ness seems to make it more robust.

At the end of my first week of doing JUDD I had to go out with a friend of mine to McDonalds (not my choice) and it was a DD! It's possible to have a DD meal even there though! Their Ceasar salad (without chicken) and Balsamic vinegar tastes great, and the entire thing is only 125 calories.

Just make sure that you have some items planned and available. It isn't that difficult and the results are amazing!

Wishing you the best!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #6

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I love soups, mostly make my own, but lots are amazingly LC.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BaileysGirl
Stats: 222/190.5/175
WOE: Juddd
Start Date: Jan 12 2013
Good idea about the soup! I think I could have it for lunch. I'm thinking breakfast will be a hb egg or two. That would leave about 210 for dinner...

I plan on starting JUDDD on Monday as an UD...
BaileysGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
When I first started JUDDD, I did use shakes the first few DDs like Dr J mentiones in his book, as they just seemed to be simpler, and I didn't have to think about food. I like the Pure Protein vanilla shakes - 23 grams of protein, 110 cals (found them at walmart - come in a 4-pack and average a bit under $2/bottle). Many people like to start right off the bat with food. It's a switch of mental gears to think of lower calories, and usu. lower fat, after coming from low carb! But it's also a new mind set to think about incorporating some favorite carby foods back in. Personally, I don't like to have carby foods on DDs cause they amp up my appetite. I'm one who needs protein and a bit of fat to stay satiated. I like canned tuna w/a bit of mayo or reduced cal dressing mixed in, or other types of protein like poached chicken tenders. And lots of low cal veggies that add bulk. I really like Dawn's idea of tuna mixed w/the chopped veggies and vinegar for dressing. I'll have to try that! And many, many here love to fix a big ol' pan of shredded stir fried cabbage w/some protein and Laughing Cow Cheese mixed in.

Now that I'm established in my DDs, I find I'm not hungry in the mornings, so I usu. wait til lunch to start eating. At work, I'm fortunate to have a cafeteria w/a good salad bar, so I can load up on LC veggies and a bit of low fat meat/poultry w/a splash of vinegar, or bring my own low cal dressing. But lots of time, I bring a good protein bar and my book and just settle down for a bit of relaxation. Then I know I'll have a good 300 cals left for a satisying dinner.

So when you're shopping, think of things that are low calorie but filling. I really love Annie's Organic Chunky Vegetable soup - someone on here suggested it (I find it in the organic section at my local grocery store). Since I came from LC, too, the carb content scared me, but I love that I can have a WHOLE can for 120 cals. This soup has such a rich, tomato-y broth and very simple ingredients.

I like to munch on baby dills, kim chee and saurkraut when I'm cooking the family dinner, so that by the time I sit down to eat, I'm not ravenous. On my DDs, I plan a family meal that is lower cal or that I can adjust for me, so I can have some protein and veggies. And on up days, I'll plan something we all enjoy that maybe a bit more caloric than on a DD, and more carby than previous LC days (although, I still am not willing to add back in pasta or rice, but I will have some potatoes or corn tortillas now and again - and I really enjoy a nice sweet treat!)

So good luck and welcome, new JUDDD Buddd! You'll find lots of support, advice and humor here.
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Justwaiting
This has got to be the friendliest romp of people ever! Thanks all!
Justwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:05 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
I think you will be very happy here with us!
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Soup, broth, salad, veggies, baby dills, sauerkraut. I bake a chicken breast, cut it into 1 ounce pieces (35 cals). Once my DD patterns were established, I found a mouthful of protein and lots of veggies very satisfying. Cabbage is our friend.

A frozen low-cal dinner is usually about 300 cals. I have cooked on then eaten 1/3 for breakfast, 1/3 for lunch, 1/3 for dinner (along with salad).

I find I need fat. So I measure hwc by the teaspoon (approx 20 cal). Also full-fat salad dressing (I figure 1 teaspoon = 1/3 the calories in a tablespoon).

Oh, kitchen scales are a huge, huge help!

As Sunday said awhile ago, JUDDD is an ongoing scientific experiment - you get to try different foods, you get to learn what you really need. And, wowsers, the knowledge can really be so extraordinarily useful.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote