Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IThinkICan
Stats: 218/142-144/145
WOE: HCG-R5P4 JUDDD
Where are the men?

I realize these boards and weight loss in general is heavily talked about among women, but my husband is trying this JUDDD thing with me and I was wondering about the successes of men on this plan... Do they stick with it easily? Do they lose easier than women like many other diets?
IThinkICan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
DH JUDDDs with me...he's doing great! He keeps low DDs (500-700 cals) and basically does reasonable free days (he doesn't want to count, lol) and he's lost about 12-ish pounds in 2 1/2 months. I've lost more but I count religiously. He's also come off of one of his blood pressure meds because his blood pressure readings went down. He's really happy about that!

He's only about 12 pounds above goal so his weight loss is pretty good. He's thinking about adjusting his goal downward.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
My DH started with me in March and he is loving this way of eating as well. He follows 500 calorie DD's and 2000 calorie UD's (also doesn't count the UD's)and he looks slimmer already. Doesn't weigh so not sure how much he has lost. I really don't want to know as I am sure he is losing faster than me. He also doesn't snore when he is following the diet and I am sleeping great!
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I had a feeling I'd get a bunch of "my husband" posts instead of men themselves... LOL - gotta be a guy somewhere who'd join this board...

Anyway, sounds great! I don't think my husband will track well either... he doesn't get on the scale unless I remind him just after using the john in the morning. I constantly record my weight to see progress and trends and he just hops on the scale and says "up a little" or "oh! down a pound..." (more commonly the latter). I hate to tell him to eat 500 calories a day when we just recently did that for HCG and that was psychologically driving him nuts. So I'm just going to provide him tons of veggie/soup options with some protein and tell him to focus on primarily veggies, some protein, and limit fats - mainly being coffee with cream (which he really doesn't need, just is offered sometimes and accepts) and his almonds - those really drive up calories fast.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
My DH started Juddding this week and he really seems to like it. He created an Excel spread sheet to keep track of all his calories. He is beyond proud of how little he eats on our DD's. It's really cute. I did have to make him promise to have all his calories eaten by 11pm on DD because mine are gone and it's too much for me if he's cooking bacon at midnight. Other than that I'm enjoying doing this woe together. It was a hoot going to the market together today and watching him look at the calories on all the labels. I never thought I would see the day. He is going to weigh once a week like I do so I'll keep you posted. He's 6 foot 3 inches and I think he wants to lose about 30lbs.
Vanessa
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #6

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
My DH started JUDDD a few months ago and was doing really well. Then he decided he wants WLS, and has had a few appointments with the surgeon, nutritionist, etc., and has decided he's definitely going that route, so he's stopped JUDDDing with me. He's very supportive though, and eats whatever I'm eating on a DD for dinner, but that's usually the only meal we share, so he has whatever he wants the rest of the time.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fixin
Stats: 5 ft 9 140/128/130
WOE: cycling carbs and calories (JUDD Enthusiast)
Another "my husband" reply. Actually, now I should say, "my husband, my Dad and now my brother "

My husband and brother do around 900 dd's. My Dad does around 5-600 cal dd's. My husband lost ten pounds quickly and is now happy with his healthy weight. His bp is far better and he maintains on 2 dd's per week. My Dad has lost ten pounds after starting 2 weeks ago but has another 40 to go. He loves this woe. He read the book at my prodding and is so on board "for life" he says.

My brother has just started. He only has about 15 to lose and is more interested in turning on the SIRT1 enzyme than the weight loss but I know both will happen.

None of these guys count on up days.
fixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: b_lou_who
Stats: 2014 was195/now186.9 5'7" 44
WOE: whole organic low-sugars IF vegan
Start Date: 1997
my hubby has been doing it since week two and loves it. burned off the old spare tire and 15 pounds in about six weeks, he doesn't seem to have lost much more on the scale in the last few weeks, but his muscles look way more ripped and his waist went down another belt notch. so the scale isn't the only measurement of IF success for men either.
He came out in shorts he could barely wear last year and they are at least a size, probably two, too big. it was very funny. he didn't have a lot to lose, just that middle aged spread around the middle but it came off fast.
he does three down days mwf and the rest up days. sometimes a down day has to be a medium day (up to 1000cal) because of work load (work all day, then work most of the night at second job) but he handles it really well. He does about 600ish on down days and doesn't count on up days.
I do pre-prep easy to take foods for down days and we go to bed earlier on those days too mostly.
Yes he loses much easier as usual but he has never been much overweight. He likes the sirt1 feeling and that more defined appearance. He only weighs if I ask him to which isn't often.
Our bodybuilding sons are looking into it, don't think they have started yet with IF though.

Last edited by b_lou_who; 04-22-2012 at 08:21 AM..
b_lou_who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Sheridan
My husband told me yesterday (a DD for me) that he wants to do my "half-azzed diet" with me because "it's working so well for you" and "you can eat the stuff that sounds good to you". He - as much as myself - has been amazed with how easy and simple JUDDD has been for me in all respects. He's supportive of anything I do and certainly ate his share of strict low carb meals when I was low carbing, but he felt guilty eating stuff he liked and knew I also liked but couldn't have while following strict low carb. And he missed some of his (and mine) favorite 'signature' dishes but felt like he couldn't ask me to make them if they were forbidden to me. He has seen me thoroughly - and with NO guilt - enjoy a goodie on an UD, then heard me excitedly proclaim I'd lost another pound the morning after the next DD.

He's in very good health but has maybe 20 extra pounds to lose. I'm sure he'll drop them fairly quickly; when he stopped drinking Coke it took about a month for him to cinch up two notches on his belt. I've been very low on DDs - a good majority of them complete fasts - and I don't expect him to do that. It just turned out easier for me to completely forego eating on DDs by accident. So I imagine I'll have fewer complete fasting DDs now that he's doing this with me, but we enjoy having a big salad for dinner and with our garden already producing goodies, it should be easy for me to keep us very low and have him still feel satisfied. He usually isn't one to weigh daily, goes more by how his clothes (belt) fits, so I don't know if I'll have a scale progress report for him or not.
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: laceylady
Stats: 16w(210)/size 14(175)/size 12
WOE: LC -- again
Start Date: Jan 2012/restart May 2013/restart again Oct 2014
MY DH has been doing JUDDD with me since January -- he's lost 20 pounds, which is pretty much all he needed to lose. He is pretty good at sticking to a reasonable amount of calories on UDs and DDs, but he's not strict. He has his lunches, which I pack for both of us, and dinner is more of a free-for-all where he fixes what he wants, and I fix mine. Then I can stick to my allotted amount of cals, and he can have his fried cabbage and veggies with meat or whatever... he's doing MUCH better on portion control, which has always been a problem with him. He still has his wine with dinner (only one glass... refilled a couple of times!), but he's not hitting the 3000 calorie dinners like I know we both used to do. He's still being supportive of me, tho, even if he's achieved the loss he was looking for.
laceylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I love all these dh stories... so the men actually do this too! Men just don't talk diets usually... gotta be movies and sports and the latest techie gadgets. So funny.

I think this woe is going to benefit hubby in the long run because although he can do very well low carbing, his job just makes it hard. He gets into rough situations. Just the other day, he was with a client that is going to be bringing him a lot more business (hopefully), so he had to accept when that client brought out cheesecake for the two of them and insisted he eat it and worry about paperwork later. (Why doesn't anyone forcefeed me cheesecake?!) The thing is my dh doesn't even like cheesecake! He had to choke it down, hidden behind a smile of contentment in an attempt to not insult his client! He was so upset he wasted a bunch of calories on something he really doesn't like! But nevertheless, it's a part of work when many of his clients are restaurant owners!
Old 04-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Yam-Yam
Stats: 230/191/165 @5'9"tall and 60 yrs. alive
WOE: Dukan 8/1/11 and now JUDDD
Start Date: 8/1/11 RE-start 1/1/14
Check out this thread by Ohio Guy. He is doing great.

24hrs long enough for sirt1 by eating once a day?
Yam-Yam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lauren A
Stats: 160/149/145 5'9"
Start Date: Feb 28, 2012
My husband does JUDDD too, he lost 11 pounds in the same amount of time that it took me to lose the same but he doesn't stick to it as closely as I do.....MEN!....they seem to be lucky that way!
Lauren A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #14

Gallery: zipp2play
Stats: 206/187/164 5'8"
My husband started last week with me!
zipp2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
My DH is doing it with me also.

He calls it the YO YO diet to all the people at work - he says he eats whatever I let him eat. (He really eats less on an up day than me and that is SAD! I am going to do better this week though)

We are only a week in - so don't know if he has lost or not. I didn't ask. So far, I can't see it in either of us.

It is nice to have someone to suffer with on a down day - yes, to me it is still a bit of a suffering.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
My dh is in the middle of his 4th week. The first 3 weeks he lost a total of 9 pounds. Looking forward to this week's weigh in to see if he can surpass the point he couldn't get past last year. It is a bit more difficult for him because he works nights and on his weekend he ends up with a day that he's been up over 24 hours. When that day falls on a DD it's really hard.

He's stuck to the plan for the most part except a couple UDs that turned into DD/MDs and then this past weekend we both went way overboard....three days in a row. But I bet he bounces right back.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

My DH does not know he is doing it. It's stealth JUDD, a covert operation.

In mid February he was commenting on my flat belly and how great I look. He bought me several really cute sweaters and tops in a size medium and couldn't believe that they were baggy on me! He always used to be careful to buy large or extra large for me when he was out and about doing a shopping trip.

Anyway, I gave him a copy of "The GI Diet" book to read because he needs simple instructions on making easy, healthy choices especially when out to business luncheons.

However, I have started packing his lunches. I always make breakfast and dinner for him and he is making a real effort to only go out to lunch if necessary.

I'm planning his meals to be appx 900/2500 which is at 35% WLM for him.

He has lost 21 pounds since mid February!!! he has lost almost 3 inches from his waist and he is absolutely thrilled. He is fitting into smaller shirts and pants that he has not worn in years. I can really see the difference in him.

"Weight loss isn't about winning a race; it's about crossing the finish line at your own pace." -Dianna Rodriguiz

current numbers: 1975/395
goal numbers: 1700/350 (just a reminder)
Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Manday
Stats: 250/233/130 5'3"
Start Date: 4/19/2012
Yam-Yam, I LOVE this! I was just trying to decide how to ask my question: are there any out there who got their husbands involved by being sneaky?

I finally broke down and told my husband that he should do this with me. He just lost about 40lbs doing absolutely nothing besides getting a new job, but he still has a little bit to go and this fits how he eats anyway. Should really be easier for him than any of the other diets I've done. He's thinking about it now. Unfortunately, we're on completely different schedules and he works in a grocery store so I can't control his food like that. Hopefully we'll have another hubby on board here soon!

One question...has your DH complained about being hungry on his DDs or about what you pack him?
Manday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

[QUOTE=Manday;15603314]Yam-Yam, I LOVE this! I was just trying to decide how to ask my question: are there any out there who got their husbands involved by being sneaky?

I finally broke down and told my husband that he should do this with me. He just lost about 40lbs doing absolutely nothing besides getting a new job, but he still has a little bit to go and this fits how he eats anyway. Should really be easier for him than any of the other diets I've done. He's thinking about it now. Unfortunately, we're on completely different schedules and he works in a grocery store so I can't control his food like that. Hopefully we'll have another hubby on board here soon!

One question...has your DH complained about being hungry on his DDs or about what you pack him?[/QUOTE]

How great that your DH has lost 40 pounds!

My DH never complains about being hungry. I make very filling soups with lots of veggies and sometimes add ground turkey or chopped up meat or chicken. I always make a big pot at the beginning of the week and then refrigerate or freeze leftovers in zip lock bags.

I pour a big helping of my soup into a mason jar. Give him an apple and half a Zone protein bar to take to work. He keeps a big soup mug there and microwaves the soup.

He is also a fan of Progresso soups and they make some yummy low sodium, high fiber soups. Very filling.

I make sure breakfasts are super filling. I make my own version of crockpot oatmeal. Using stuff like steel cut oats, Stone Buhr 7 grain, oat bran, flax seeds, chia seeds or skinny b cereal....anyway, I mix it up the night before in the crock pot with lots of cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg and sliced fuigi apples. In the morning we wake up to a yummy smell and a huge pot of hot cereal that is very filling.

Again, I put the leftovers in a gallon sized zip lock and refrigerate it. Then re heat for other breakfasts.

I make omelets for breakfast.

I also make home made oatbran pancakes. The only ingredients are egg whites, greek yogurt and oat bran and they are very filling and delicious. I serve them to DH with Davinci sugar free syrup. He loves them!

I also occasionally make big, filling deli type sandwiches for his lunch. I make sure the bread I buy has at least 3 grams of fiber. Double fiber bread has 5 or 6 grams per slice. Very filling. And, as always, I send an apple along!

DH has become a big fan of wild salmon with brown basmatti rice, spinach and coleslaw or soup. I try to make his dinners really filling and satisfying. I make a killer lasagna using ground turkey breast, whole wheat noodles, fresh tomatoes and every kind of vegetable you can imagine (even shredded cabbage, spinach and thinly sliced zucchini in the lasagna. makes it filling and nutritious with a lot less calories than regular.)
Old 04-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

I'm a bit like Yam Yam in that I do some covert operations on my husband too. He knows he does 2 dd's per week but I sneak a couple more DD type meals Iin his diet that he doesn't realize. The key is they have to be filling.

I make a " growing oatmeal breakfast" for him that he doesn't know is very low cal. I got the idea from Hungry Girl. My husband doe's not like oatmeal but he loves no baked cookies. I figured out how to make a huge bowl of oatmeal that tastes like no bakes but is only 155 cals. He only knows he gets full and that it tastes good.

If my husband were to be left feeling deprived or hungry on down days he would stop and these great health benefits would be lost. So fillers like Gluc noodles, spicy sauces, lots of veges and lean meats really help. Gluc puddings and unsweetened almond milk based ice cream keeps his sweet tooth happy.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I love the undercover operations! LOL!

I wonder if it might just be easier to give hubby 2 down days each week... with his work schedule and meeting with clients who sometimes feed him (restaurant owners), it's sometimes hard to just say "today is a DD..." Maybe just do DDs once early in the week, once later, depending on when he's eating most of his meals at/from home or not. He's a guy... weight comes off a lot easier with just a little discipline...
Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IThinkICan View Post
I love the undercover operations! LOL!

I wonder if it might just be easier to give hubby 2 down days each week... with his work schedule and meeting with clients who sometimes feed him (restaurant owners), it's sometimes hard to just say "today is a DD..." Maybe just do DDs once early in the week, once later, depending on when he's eating most of his meals at/from home or not. He's a guy... weight comes off a lot easier with just a little discipline...
Two might work. Mon and Thurs work well for my DH. He lost quickly doing three per week. Two seems to be more mantainence with maybe a little more slow weightloss. He may have lost another pound or so in the last 2-3 weeks doing only 2 full days. He goes all out super high calorie on his up days but remains mostly lowish carb.

Last edited by fixin; 04-24-2012 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Errors
Old 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixin View Post
Two might work. Mon and Thurs work well for my DH. He lost quickly doing three per week. Two seems to be more mantainence with maybe a little more slow weightloss. He may have lost another pound or so in the last 2-3 weeks doing only 2 full days. He goes all out super high calorie on his up days but remains mostly lowish carb.
Good to know! Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Muffabuff
Stats: 5ft tall start 143 now 116.5
WOE: LC / JUDDD. Started juddd 3/26/12
Start Date: 11/15/12
Yam yam you make me
Muffabuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
My husband is doing it with me but he doesn't need to lose weight. I keep after him to eat but he doesn't eat very much on my DD. He does all the cooking and hasn't figured out what to cook on my DD. I think he will be glad when I get to maintenance so it will be easier to cook dinner!
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote