Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Insulin resistance and JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/768547-insulin-resistance-juddd.html)

MSN08 04-20-2012 04:10 PM

Insulin resistance and JUDDD

Anyone here successfully manage hypoglycemia with JUDDD specifically on DD?? How long did it take to start feeling stable blood sugar and any advice or suggestions you can offer I would greatly appreciate the help :)

piratejenny 04-20-2012 04:20 PM

With IR, wouldn't one have hypERglycemia?

Or are you taking medication, like an insulin sensitizer?

MSN08 04-20-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 15597590)
With IR, wouldn't one have hypERglycemia?

Or are you taking medication, like an insulin sensitizer?

The way a Dr. explained it to me is that because my insulin is releasing far more than it needs to for the sugar I eat it is so effective it makes me hypoglycemic. I do not know anything except how I feel and this is the first Dr. who has even said having too much insulin is a problem so if he is right and that is why I feel lousy (brain fog,crashing the car and not realizing it,falling over,slurring my words and becoming hysterically giddy out of the blue) I have ruled out everything else as a cause my numbers are always 90-110 never high or low but the Dr said that the level in my brain may be much lower at the time even though the glucose monitor says it normal:dunno:. If you are better educated please share what you think about it b/c I am looking for a way to eat that will help my health but L/C makes me feel lousy so if JUDDD is suppose to help with this I want to hear from those of you who are on it and how it makes you feel :)

piratejenny 04-20-2012 06:14 PM

Wow, those are some scary symptoms!

I wouldn't say I'm better educated....it was just my understanding that if a person is IR, the insulin is NOT effective; it's not getting into the cells as it should. ETA: But your normal BG would indicate--to me, and I'm not a doctor!--that you are not IR. But maybe your doctor is saying that your *brain* is?!

Also, I have not heard of brain glucose levels being low when BG is normal. In that case, it seems like becoming more sensitive to insulin--thru meds or diet--could make the cognitive symptoms worse (perhaps only temporarily, til you get used to it, but if that means another car crash--yikes!).

Did your doc recommend a diet or give you any nutritional advice? What about meds?

JUDDD can cause wild fluctuations in BG and may not be a safe WOE for you, I am sorry to say.

I have to go pick up my son soon, so I can't go into a lot of detail right now, and am sorry if this seems short or abrupt. I am a Type 2 & am happy to share what I can, but honestly your situation sounds very different from anything I'm familiar with and I don't want to give you any potentially harmful advice...just :hugs: and hope that you find something healthy for yourself!

piratejenny 04-20-2012 06:25 PM

It just occurred to me that you might be one of those RARE people for whom the "eat 5 or 6 small meals a day" WOE might actually make sense! I don't think it would cure the underlying problem of whatever is causing the low brain glucose, but it might be a way to keep your brain fed & functioning. Ask your doctor! :)

MSN08 04-20-2012 06:58 PM

Thanks so much I know my situation is unique I am waiting on an apt with an Endo to check for some kind of tumor somewhere on some other organ that is causing this high insulin and symptoms I have. I really appreciate that you took the time to reply. I am only on a gluten free diet no other special instructions at this time because the Dr. thinks if it is some kind of tumor somewhere just removing it will make all of my ailments go away. We shall see. Thanks again!

piratejenny 04-20-2012 08:18 PM

You are very welcome! Wow, a tumor is scary too...on the other hand, if that's the source of your troubles, removing it could be a really simple, effective solution.

:heart: Good luck!!!!!! :heart:

jem51 04-20-2012 08:35 PM

So this doctor checked your insulin level and it was high when BG was low or stable? Or was the doc just speculating?

How would he check to see if brain glucose is low? Since the blood is being circulated through the brain and the BG is stable.......??

Your symptoms would make me wonder about seizures. Crashing the car w/o knowing is pretty extreme.
That is something that might happen to an insulin dep diabetic but the numbers would be very low for that reaction.

Hopefully the endo can actually give you some real results.

MSN08 04-20-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jem51 (Post 15598101)
So this doctor checked your insulin level and it was high when BG was low or stable? Or was the doc just speculating?

How would he check to see if brain glucose is low? Since the blood is being circulated through the brain and the BG is stable.......??

Your symptoms would make me wonder about seizures. Crashing the car w/o knowing is pretty extreme.
That is something that might happen to an insulin dep diabetic but the numbers would be very low for that reaction.

Hopefully the endo can actually give you some real results.

He is going by the results of my 2 hour glucose test my BS was 40 during the test and I had to lie down. I mentioned to him there are times where I feel very drunk and I think my bs must be low so I test and its always normal. these symptoms along with unexplained tachycardia, atrial flutters and pvc's make him suspect there is something in my body causing too much adrenaline and insulin to be released. I no longer drive because I space out far to often because I feel so brain dead at times. I really hope the Endo can help too but he was the second Dr. I saw for the heart stuff and he was stumped like all of the other Dr's I have seen and could not figure it out. This Neurologist is the first person to suggest this diagnosis but actual treatment and care is in the Endo's hands and I pray he can help me this time! Thank you everyone

piratejenny 04-20-2012 09:52 PM

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound like insulin resistance at all. Isy that what your doc called it?

ETA: sounds more like idiopathic* hypoglycemia (*cause is unknown).

Perhaps you have hyperinsulinism or insulinemia.
I read that this can be caused by a tumor of the pancreas, called an insulinoma.

MSN08 04-20-2012 10:23 PM

He thinks its pheochromocytoma and is referring me to the Endo with that diagnosis is mind.