Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Hazelsmrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 3,832
Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Ugh so stupid (gyms)

I've done everything possible to avoid having to sign up for a gym in the past, I am antisocial, I also have some social anxiety, plus I didn't want to be the "lol fat person!" at the gym... but I'm starting to overcome that. I can see the benefits of having a personal trainer. I've been doing the treadmill every day and wanting to start lifting again. I have a good set of dumbbells here at home but the exercise I want to do (deadlift) scares me. I'm so afraid of wrecking my back. So off I go to look into gyms. Find some, and start reading their websites, then I read stuff like this:

Egg yolk

Do not eat more than one or two egg yolks per week. You can eat as many egg whites as you wish; they do not contain cholesterol. Try to reduce the number of egg yolks you use for making pastries. Use two egg whites instead of one whole egg.


Gah, close the browser. Guess it's off to youtube to look at deadlift videos.
__________________
-Julie
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
scottieMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 195
Gallery: scottieMike
Stats: 265/228/175
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2011
Old adage. Just bunk.

Your cholesterol level have almost nothing to do with your cholesterol intake. Under some extreme conditions you can increase your cholesterol intake.

Not everything you read on the web is accurate or true.
scottieMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Hazelsmrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 3,832
Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Hi Scottie, I realize this and that's why I said I closed my browser... if they can say as a "fact" that eating egg yolks is bad, then I can't really see paying them to train me, I'd be second guessing EVERYTHING they tell me.
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
mattsmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sunny SoFla
Posts: 608
Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
I understand what you mean, but have you considered that information may not have been written by your personal trainer? I just say that because I would hate for you to miss an opportunity to work on some of your goals.
If you already feel sure in your needs nutritionally, then you can express that to your trainer and let him/her know that discussions about food is an "off-limit" area.
Just a thought....
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!
 
LJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 24,523
Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
I've done everything possible to avoid having to sign up for a gym in the past, I am antisocial, I also have some social anxiety, plus I didn't want to be the "lol fat person!" at the gym... but I'm starting to overcome that. I can see the benefits of having a personal trainer. I've been doing the treadmill every day and wanting to start lifting again. I have a good set of dumbbells here at home but the exercise I want to do (deadlift) scares me. I'm so afraid of wrecking my back. So off I go to look into gyms. Find some, and start reading their websites, then I read stuff like this:

Egg yolk

Do not eat more than one or two egg yolks per week. You can eat as many egg whites as you wish; they do not contain cholesterol. Try to reduce the number of egg yolks you use for making pastries. Use two egg whites instead of one whole egg.


Gah, close the browser. Guess it's off to youtube to look at deadlift videos.
That's just crazy talk!

Eat the whole egg and enjoy!

I am very anti-social at the gym but I do my thing and leave. I don't care what anyone thinks or who's looking at me.
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Hazelsmrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 3,832
Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsmama View Post
I understand what you mean, but have you considered that information may not have been written by your personal trainer? I just say that because I would hate for you to miss an opportunity to work on some of your goals.
I understand, but at the same time I get frustrated by these things and while the personal trainer him/herself might not believe it necessarily I have trouble giving money to a company that throws things like this out as fact.

Anyways, the deadlift is really the only reason I wanted a personal trainer, I have a set of 52 pound dumbbells, a bench and a treadmill so I have no excuses for not getting stuff done, once I figure out how to safely do that movement I'd rather just do it at home anyways! I think I have it figured out after watching a bazillion videos and tips on how to do it safely
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 147
Gallery: casmira
Is it fair to think that people working as trainers in gyms should have the same level of knowledge about nutrition as a dietician, for example? We're all used to expecting far too much of people.
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!
 
Jenn_in_NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2,587
Gallery: Jenn_in_NJ
Stats: 267/142/135
WOE: JUDDD/IF
Start Date: 2001
Why do you want to deadlift so bad?

There are people of all shapes and sizes at my gym. You just need to put on your earphones and do what you have to do. Yes, people are looking at you, but they are looking at everyone. Why should you care? You want to get healthy and get in shape, it's their problem if they think there is anything wrong with it.
Jenn_in_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,806
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Julie, since you want to work out with your own equipment, how about a private session at your house? Gyms probably take a big percentage of the trainer's fee; if you can find someone good & trustworthy, I'm sure they'd be very happy to deal with you directly!

I started working out with kettlebells recently...I can get a killer workout in 10-20 minutes, while it would take 20-25 minutes just to get to the nearest gym. I love saving the gas money, too!

PS--I wouldn't necessarily discount someone's ability to train you on proper form because of their opinions on cholesterol. I have learned from many fabulous dance, yoga, Pilates, and martial arts instructors without EVER exchanging a word about food!

Last edited by piratejenny; 04-21-2012 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: PS
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Hazelsmrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 3,832
Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn_in_NJ View Post
Why do you want to deadlift so bad?
I'm doing Brain over Brawn, and the deadlift seems to really be the only option for a compound exercise that does the "pull" movement at the hips. I'm using the squat for the "push", and overhead press and rows for the push/pull at the shoulder, but I really do need the deadlift to train the pull/hip one, I haven't found any alternative. I did find the stiff legged dumbbell deadlift and that one seems more suited to me so that's the one I'll be doing I think!
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Hazelsmrf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 3,832
Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by casmira View Post
Is it fair to think that people working as trainers in gyms should have the same level of knowledge about nutrition as a dietician, for example? We're all used to expecting far too much of people.
No I wouldn't expect that, but I also wouldn't expect them to advise if they don't have the knowledge.

I get what you're all saying, it was just a knee-jerk reaction yesterday because I've been up to my eyeballs in misinformation this week and I just reached a frustration saturation level I wouldn't really use it as an excuse to not go to a gym, but honestly I just don't want someone telling me how unhealthy it is to fast and that I need carbs and that I need to eat less fat etc, I don't need someone second guessing my nutrition right now and so I'll stay put, I don't want to CHANCE it, I'm not in a place right now where I'd take it very well. Anyways the important part is that I'm not using it as an excuse to not exercise or anything of the sort, I'm fullly commited to following a strength training plan and doing daily treadmill, that has no changed
Hazelsmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
Faithful_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NE Indiana
Posts: 77
Gallery: Faithful_1
Stats: 225/207 & shrinking/160?
WOE: JUDDD/Mod Carb
Start Date: Jan. 6, 2006. Re-start Jan. 2012
I joined Curves for Women a couple years ago....it really toned me up. I just started going back regularly in January. Alot of people think it doesnt work....only 30 minutes for the workout. But I can say it does. The resistance training is awesome. They target every part of your body. Each muscle group is targeted at each machine....And...only women in there...and they dont care what you look like! Anyway, just my opinion...hope you find something that works for you!
Faithful_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
Jez
Junior LCF Member
 
Jez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 57
Gallery: Jez
WOE: Primal
Start Date: 12/12/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
Hi Scottie, I realize this and that's why I said I closed my browser... if they can say as a "fact" that eating egg yolks is bad, then I can't really see paying them to train me, I'd be second guessing EVERYTHING they tell me.
I feel the same way. I read and hear stuff that I know isn't true, and I feel it discredits everything else they have to offer.
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member
 
shmuhdenise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Azusa, CA
Posts: 26
Gallery: shmuhdenise
Stats: 450+/321/140
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD
Start Date: March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
No I wouldn't expect that, but I also wouldn't expect them to advise if they don't have the knowledge.

I get what you're all saying, it was just a knee-jerk reaction yesterday because I've been up to my eyeballs in misinformation this week and I just reached a frustration saturation level I wouldn't really use it as an excuse to not go to a gym, but honestly I just don't want someone telling me how unhealthy it is to fast and that I need carbs and that I need to eat less fat etc, I don't need someone second guessing my nutrition right now and so I'll stay put, I don't want to CHANCE it, I'm not in a place right now where I'd take it very well. Anyways the important part is that I'm not using it as an excuse to not exercise or anything of the sort, I'm fullly commited to following a strength training plan and doing daily treadmill, that has no changed

I have a personal trainer at LA Fitness. They can't advise on nutrition even if the client would like them too. It is gym policy since they are not trained nutritionists.
shmuhdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,806
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmuhdenise View Post
I have a personal trainer at LA Fitness. They can't advise on nutrition even if the client would like them too. It is gym policy since they are not trained nutritionists.
Good policy!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 147
Gallery: casmira
I think that's fair enough!
casmira is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:33 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.