Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
Do previous NON low carb dieters gain water weight?

Hello all!! I have been reading posts of people gaining massive amounts of water weight like 4 to 6 lbs from eating carbs, salt and sweets because they were low carb dieters before.

If a person is eating a "normal" diet before Juddd, do they gain massive amounts of water?

So it made me think... IF "normal dieter" don't gain as much water weight and if this is true...., is it better to just eat "normal" for a few weeks before transitioning from low carb to JUDDD. Just a thought.... What do you think?
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I think that water weight is just that, water. It will soon leave you and it is nothing to fear.

JUDDD is very different to HCG in that the weight drops off as quickly as it goes on.

But it would certainly be fine to eat a 'normal' diet for a while before JUDDDing. If you can eat 'normal'. Many of us here don't really know what that means.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I ate "normal" for the weekend before trying JUDDD and never had the big bounces or water weight gain that others have mentioned. I used my Monday morning weigh-in, after the weekend off of low carb, as my JUDDD starting weight.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

wow that Awesome!! I hope others will report the same!!! That can solve a lot of agravation!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
It's really sort of a mind game anyway, isn't it? I mean, you will still gain the water weight if you 'carb up' like Dawn did. You just start at your higher weight, rather than recording a lower weight as your 'start' and then having to lose back to it after the bounce. Either way, if you've been lc, you are going to have a bounce.

If you haven't been lc however, and eating normal carbs, you likely won't see that.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #6

I do wonder though if it helped to keep some of that up/down bouncing under control because I ate carby all weekend--a "reset" if you will. I have no proof of that, but I don't get the massive bouncing that others report. The most I usually see is about a pound, one way or the other.

Tina, you weren't low carb exactly either, coming into JUDDD, and you don't seem to have those crazy bounces. Just a theory I'm contemplating.

For me, it really did help, even knowing it's a mind-game. I would not have been comfortable starting a new WOE and gaining right away. Obviously I would have "understood" it, but it would have made me depressed anyway.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I gain more water weight from the two major hormonal times of the month than I do for any of the occasional high carb days I have, so trying to control carb levels still wouldn't keep away water weight fluctuations for me. That water weight always goes down though, so I don't see it as a true weight gain and take it all in stride.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
I think, for me, not eating many carbs, or many calories either, on the DD and then eating even moderate carbs on the UD causes a little water weight gain for me. I don't think I bounce as much after eating "normal" carbs on an UD as I do trying to eat LC on an UD. Does this make sense to anyone else but me?

Carole
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Tina, you weren't low carb exactly either, coming into JUDDD, and you don't seem to have those crazy bounces. Just a theory I'm contemplating.
I wasn't low carb per se, but I did avoid grains, sugar, potatoes and corn. Average carb levels were around 50-60 grms (gross). I still eat that way, but do allow a bit more than I did at first. For example tonight I had a sweet potato and a biscuit with my supper. But total gross carbs were still 111 for the day.

So I don't know why I don't bounce much. But it's usually just a pound one way or the other. And I can spend days at exactly the same weight--even a full week at times.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Showcats
Stats: 193/168.6/150 5'6" Age 48
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 4/1/12 (177.8)
I am in my third week of JUDDD and never did low carb. My first bounce was only 2.4 pounds and it happened after my 3rd UD. My only other bounce was Tuesday and only 1.4 pounds. Other than those 2 blips, I have stayed the same or lost every other day. I am very pleased.
Showcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:40 PM   #11
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I bounce all the time, and I have been eating carbs from day 1 and thought it would stop after my body got use to carbs again......Nope, never happened, still up after every UD and back down after every DD. Different amounts but still a gain and a loss.

I just think it's how some of us retain water and how some just don't, carbs or no carbs.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I ate "normal" for the weekend before trying JUDDD and never had the big bounces or water weight gain that others have mentioned. I used my Monday morning weigh-in, after the weekend off of low carb, as my JUDDD starting weight.
I kinda did the same thing. The last weigh I took before starting JUDDD was 176 then after a few normal days before JUDDD I ended up starting at 184. But within 2-3 days or so I was down to 178. I really did go all out with carbs before switching over though!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Katie did your weight bounce around alot during juddd or not, since you ate normal before starting juddd?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttie99 View Post
Katie did your weight bounce around alot during juddd or not, since you ate normal before starting juddd?
The first few weeks it did. I could bounce from one extreme to another. It drove me crazy...keep thinking I was screwing JUDDD up some how. But I was measuring myself too and was dropping inches left and right!!

I remember the first time I seen 177 on the scale and was like whoo hoo! I was at like week 3. Then very next day I was right back at 184, then on to 176 the following day! The scale is crazy like that. Seriously measure and go by that before that dang scale!!!!

I think the problem most have when they first start JUDDD from LC is with LC the scale drops fast. But with JUDDD it bounces and they arent used to it. But something most forget is with LC one cheat that scale goes up, sometimes wayyyyy up depending on what you had, but with JUDDD the scale sometimes lowers!!!

If you make a chart and record all your weights. You will start to see a pattern to it. The bounces can get huge at certain times, or be really small. I can predict when the scale will bounce lower too. I will start see the same numbers. Like right now I go from 173 to 177 then back to 173. In a few more days I expect to see 172 or 171 as my new low bounce! For me when the same numbers start appearing its by body catching up before another drop.

Hang in there!!! Think of it this way JUDDD can be as fun as a roller coaster but no roller coaster is a straight shot , and as you ride it more and more you start to know the hills and drops and eventually you know you will get to the very end of the ride!!

Edit to add: I have left carbs in JUDDD. I sometimes eat healthy carbs and sometimes not so healthy carbs. But I figured if I was gonna do JUDDD for life, I oughtta learn how to control carbs because they are everywhere and sometimes hard to avoid.

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!

Last edited by krow134; 04-19-2012 at 08:40 PM..
Old 04-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #15

With all the varying experiences, my theory is . . . busted!
Old 04-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I know!! we need more NON low carbers to post there bouncing experience!!! LOL I was hoping this theory would help us low carbers!! just eat normal for a week then start Juddd to prevent bounces!! Sounded good to me!!! LOL
Old 04-20-2012, 04:53 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I know!! we need more NON low carbers to post there bouncing experience!!! LOL I was hoping this theory would help us low carbers!! just eat normal for a week then start Juddd to prevent bounces!! Sounded good to me!!! LOL
Preventing bounces would be awesome......but alas I dont think you can avoid them!! Its just how JUDDD seems to work!!! I have a wedding tonight, lots and lots of carbs coming my way.....cant wait to see the bounce tomorrow!!! lol!!!! Was actually at 175 today so I was gonna see my 172-171 tomorrow......but not now if I eat/drink all I planned to tonight! I seriously keep going back and forth with free day and up day in my head right now! Its a matter of do I want a glass of wine and a piece of wedding cake or do I want a new low on the scale more...........oh the choices!
Old 04-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

I say enjoy the wedding and go for the new low on Monday. This is one of those once in a lifetime celebrations, and you should not mar even a second of it by wondering how many calories something has. Of course, don't stuff yourself just because it's there, but if you want wine AND cake, have them. The scale will be waiting for you after a couple of dd's.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #19

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Cuttie, just embrace the bounces, surely you can see that they mean nothing. It is the trend downwards that matters after all. If it seriously worries you you not weigh for a month perhaps?

Katie, relax and enjoy this special day. x The lower weight will come when the lower weight comes......
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
Quote:
Hello all!! I have been reading posts of people gaining massive amounts of water weight like 4 to 6 lbs from eating carbs, salt and sweets because they were low carb dieters before.

If a person is eating a "normal" diet before Juddd, do they gain massive amounts of water?

So it made me think... IF "normal dieter" don't gain as much water weight and if this is true...., is it better to just eat "normal" for a few weeks before transitioning from low carb to JUDDD. Just a thought.... What do you think?
I was coming off of Weight Watchers when I started JUDDD, NOT low carb by any means, I actually lost 4 pounds my first week of JUDDD to the suprise of my Weight Watchers leader (I still go to WW, for the weigh in.....keeps me in line!). The second week of JUDDD, I lost 3, 3rd...stayed the same, and last weigh in this Monday I went down 6 pounds! my leader was stunned!! So I would say for me, no there was absolutely no water weight gain at all.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for sharing Becky!! Maybe there is hope!!!