Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Talk to me about energy (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/768218-talk-me-about-energy.html)

nickicaps 04-18-2012 06:48 AM

Talk to me about energy
 
I haven't had natural energy in about 4 years. I quit coffee two years ago but still take in a lot of caffeine from green tea, raw chocolate (not technically caffeine but same effect) and still feel lethargic, exhausted, and "loopy" most days. I work out a lot but I don't sleep much due to constant stress and anxiety that are job and life related. It's just been a very rough time these past few years and I feel it in so many ways.

I keep reading about the energy surges from JUDDD and was hoping that I could get some more details from those who have experienced it. I have slept very restlessly this past week and a half since starting JUDDD (mostly on DD, go figure) but am hoping that this is part of the process.

So motivate me with your energy stories! :clap:

cuttie99 04-18-2012 06:51 AM

Try upping your potassium intake if you think you are not eating enough. We need about 4000mg a day and most of us don't get that much. Also have your thyroid checked if you have not done so. good luck. I haven't started juddd yet.

stargazer 04-18-2012 07:20 AM

Hi

You need your sleep. The blog that got me into JUDDD was from a lady who also took Melatonin for sleep. I do the same some nights. Fasting can make you sleep very lightly. Take a tablet an hour before bedtime. I can't take it all the time or I get sleepy in the afternoon but it's nice to get the really deep sleep it promotes sometimes.

Good sleep aids weight loss too. Melatonin has other health benefits and some say it helps you lose weight. Read up on it and see what you think. It's in shops in the US but in the UK you mostly have to get it online or in large health shops.

If you are menopausal that will screw with energy levels and sleep. Oestrogen is your friend there.

Thyroid problems make you tired if you are both over and underactive. I've been overactive and I actually gained weight because you feel so darned hungry. Worth getting checked out.

I find JUDDD makes me feel relaxed and well. Not sure about massive energy. I was never that person.

nickicaps 04-18-2012 08:08 AM

Thanks for the advice- my thyroid, blood tests, all are perfect according to my doctor so that's not an issue...

I was more wondering if people who had low energy pre JUDDD found improvements now?

adillenal 04-18-2012 08:16 AM

Have you been LC'ing for 3 years? The reason I ask is that I drag around when I get carbs too low. I am one of those that needs at least moderate carbs to function well. I was dragging around on JUDDD unitl I was advised to add some carbs. I added oat groats (whole oats) and sweet potatoes etc and I have plenty of energy now. Just a thought.

mykidsteacher 04-18-2012 08:51 AM

If you are living with constant stress, look into adrenal exhaustion. I've been seeing a naturopath to treat it, and am so much better off than I was 8 mos ago. I had no energy or motivation to do anything--even things I liked to do. And sleep was horrible. My adrenals were basically non-functioning. I've heard adrenal fatigue/exhaustion is near epidemic in our busy/stressed society.

nickicaps 04-18-2012 08:55 AM

I have never low carbed- been vegan for about 6 years now (lots of carbs but no processed foods) and thought that perhaps I was missing something in my diet but every Doctor, naturopath, integrative practitioner all tell me I am the picture of health. Go figure!!

Adillenal, I love me some oat groats! I mix them with a little avocado and coconut oil/cinnamon and make a kick ass breakfast with them!

Adrenal fatigue is interesting! Thanks for passing along the info and I will definitely look into it. I remember reading a book called Spent which addresses this and offers a way out of adrenal exhaustion. Have you read it?

Hatewashingup 04-18-2012 10:49 AM

As you are raw vegan please make sure you are getting some form of complete protein. I ate raw for about a year and thought I was getting enough protein from nuts and seeds, but they do not contain all of the 9 amino acids that make a complete protein.

I am not an expert but here are some ideas for what I think make a complete protein...

Raw: sprouted grains and pulses when eaten together
Sprouted quinoa on its own

Cooked healthy options- soy products such as tempeh and tofu
Cooked whole grains and pulses when eaten together

Hope this helps, find out more by googling vegan complete proteins

Hatewashingup 04-18-2012 10:52 AM

Also try drinking coconut water, it gives me a boost especially on Dds. The commercial stuff by brands like vita coco is nearly raw but pasturized so not quite. If you want it raw you can drink it straight out of a young coconut :)

krow134 04-18-2012 11:24 AM

I agree with more protein rich foods. Maybe even a few supplements. I would also make an appointment with your doc to have blood levels rechecked. Sounds like you might be becoming slightly anemic. You dont need to bleed to be anemic it can happen with lack of vitamins, like B12 and things like that. Get it checked just to be sure, anemia is not something to mess with.

nickicaps 04-18-2012 11:32 AM

I just got a fully body mapping last week- B12 was on the high side, as were protein and iron. I really appreciate the advice though! :-) :-) I had a second opinion on Monday, all the same.

So have any of you experienced INCREASED energy on JUDDD?

nickicaps 04-18-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatewashingup (Post 15590650)
Also try drinking coconut water, it gives me a boost especially on Dds. The commercial stuff by brands like vita coco is nearly raw but pasturized so not quite. If you want it raw you can drink it straight out of a young coconut :)

I love doing that!! Isn't it fun to crack one open? I also love love love young coconut meat. It's the most delicious thing on the planet :heart:

sophiethecat 04-18-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatewashingup (Post 15590650)
Also try drinking coconut water, it gives me a boost especially on Dds. The commercial stuff by brands like vita coco is nearly raw but pasturized so not quite. If you want it raw you can drink it straight out of a young coconut :)

Sounds gruesome & violent. :stars: :laugh: Poor, poor young little coconut. :console: :laugh:

:laugh: Sorry for being goofy, lol - just the wait my brain works sometimes!

gotsomeold 04-18-2012 12:21 PM

Hey Nicki,
I am one of the lucky ones you are asking about. When I did LC I could tell I was in ketosis because I had endless energy and was usually euphoric. About a month into JUDDD (most carbs were back by then) I 'felt' something happen. I assume that something was I finally had enough sirtuin enzymes running around inside of me. My weight loss rate doubled (from one pound a week to two. But, hey, it counts!). I no longer needed naps. I slept very well, woke up later than usual, and generally felt really great.

About mid-March my weight loss rate dropped. I recently figured out I had gotten into bad UD habits - not eating enough. As I think back, my energy levels dropped about the same time (still in a disgustingly good mood though). In retrospect, the energy and weight loss should have warned me I was dropping out of stress response into - horrors! - starvation mode.

So, today is an UD and I am pacing food across the day to make sure I do not come up short again. I fully expect nap time to end again soon.

For me, yes, JUDDD = energy on both DD & UD.

nickicaps 04-18-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomeold (Post 15590930)
Hey Nicki,
I am one of the lucky ones you are asking about. When I did LC I could tell I was in ketosis because I had endless energy and was usually euphoric. About a month into JUDDD (most carbs were back by then) I 'felt' something happen. I assume that something was I finally had enough sirtuin enzymes running around inside of me. My weight loss rate doubled (from one pound a week to two. But, hey, it counts!). I no longer needed naps. I slept very well, woke up later than usual, and generally felt really great.

About mid-March my weight loss rate dropped. I recently figured out I had gotten into bad UD habits - not eating enough. As I think back, my energy levels dropped about the same time (still in a disgustingly good mood though). In retrospect, the energy and weight loss should have warned me I was dropping out of stress response into - horrors! - starvation mode.

So, today is an UD and I am pacing food across the day to make sure I do not come up short again. I fully expect nap time to end again soon.

For me, yes, JUDDD = energy on both DD & UD.

Wow! That is truly inspirational. Thanks so much :-) I hope I have the same experience!

nickicaps 04-18-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15590822)
Sounds gruesome & violent. :stars: :laugh: Poor, poor young little coconut. :console: :laugh:

:laugh: Sorry for being goofy, lol - just the wait my brain works sometimes!

So funny you say that- I am a huge animal rights activist/rescuer and I almost feel a little sorry for the poor coconut too :hyst:

gotsomeold 04-18-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickicaps (Post 15590949)
Wow! That is truly inspirational. Thanks so much :-) I hope I have the same experience!

I hope some of the people who have been JUDDDing longer show up here. Five months ago several people were celebrating how much more energy they had after a few months.

KeirasMom 04-18-2012 04:49 PM

I did have increased energy for a few weeks, but then my thyroid crashed, so I'm a weird example, but I know it does happen!

kimberino 04-18-2012 06:01 PM

Only going into week 4 for me, but I felt sluggish and had chronic insomnia for about a year and a half before starting JUDDD. I just realized yesterday that I have slept through the night for the past week and my daytime hours are way more productive. I'm going to attribute it to JUDDDing since nothing in my life has changed other than my WOE.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 AM.