Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cuttie99
Stats: 5'2 171
WOE: post hcg, lost 60lbs
Start Date: Juddd 4/30, restarted 11/30
can you eat carbs on JUDDD after eating low carb?

Hello everyone. Been reading several posts and learning about JUDDD. I used hcg in the past. Based on what I have read it seems that a lot of old low carbers folks are now eating carbs with JUDDD and not gaining weight. Just want to be sure I am understanding this correctly. Are most previous low carbers now eating carbs and how much can you eat? Or it doesn't matter and you can eat anything as long as you stick within your calorie limit? Or does Juddd work best with paleo?

My second question is if I burn 300 cal with exercise do I add 300 cal onto my UP day calories limit? Thank you in advance!
cuttie99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hazelsmrf
Stats: 303/152/150
WOE: VSG surgery
Start Date: November 8th 2012
It doesn't matter, you can eat everything as long as you stick to your calorie limit. It would probably work better with whole foods than not, but it works even with the junk (bread, pasta, cake, nachos... whatever) added. Coming off of low carb expect that water weight swing though. I don't personally count carbs anymore and just eat whatever sounds good. Big difference in satiety though in choosing crap foods vs real whole foods. I personally decided that I'm ok with possibly slower losses if it meant that I wouldn't feel deprived, I would probably lose faster if I was still doing low carb though, but that led me to overeating and falling off the wagon a lot.

I don't personally eat back my exercise calories but I am not an athlete that burns a ton of calories every day, I do like 30 mins of inclines on my treadmill.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 220/160/148 5'7"
WOE: LC and JUDDD!
Start Date: LC - 12/2010, JUDDD 3/21/12
Hi cuttie. I am new to JUDDD, I have been doing it for about 3 weeks now. Previously I was doing strict LC (20-30 carbs daily) for a little over a year, and started JUDDD to help me break a stall, which it did - VERY well!

I would say this is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) issue. For me, I have started to add back more "good" carbs like extra veggies and nuts, and on a few UD I had some tortilla chips at a Mexican restaurant, and on Easter, which was an UD, I ate whatever I wanted. But....

You may just gain a little water weight if you've been eating LC and then start adding in carbs, and the water weight will disappear as your body re-adapts to eating carbs. Just something to be aware of. However, for me, adding back more carbs has so far been a bad idea. I originally started LC to lose weight and reverse pre-diabetes, and now with JUDDD I am learning that if I add back carbs, I become absolutely RAVENOUS on my UD and go way over my calories. So I think I will be sticking to JUDDD, with my previous LC foods. At least for now.

I know others that have come to JUDDD and added back in carbs and it has been a more seamless transition for them. It just depends. My metabolism is very broken and I think I need to wait till I get closer to goal before I start altering my carbs.

As far as your questions about numbers, I would check out the official JUDDD website - google it or I'm sure someone will reply to your post with a link (I would but I don't know how since I am also new!). There is a calculator on the website for you to enter your stats and it will provide you with your UD and DD calories.

Welcome to JUDDD!
alltheprettyhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelsmrf View Post
It doesn't matter, you can eat everything as long as you stick to your calorie limit. It would probably work better with whole foods than not, but it works even with the junk (bread, pasta, cake, nachos... whatever) added. Coming off of low carb expect that water weight swing though. I don't personally count carbs anymore and just eat whatever sounds good. Big difference in satiety though in choosing crap foods vs real whole foods. I personally decided that I'm ok with possibly slower losses if it meant that I wouldn't feel deprived, I would probably lose faster if I was still doing low carb though, but that led me to overeating and falling off the wagon a lot.

I don't personally eat back my exercise calories but I am not an athlete that burns a ton of calories every day, I do like 30 mins of inclines on my treadmill.
and says it all!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PixieKGirl
Stats: 163/152/136
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: 3/26/12
I'm eating carbs all the time. Good artisan bread; baked potatoes, english muffins. My weight loss has been amazing for me (down 8 lbs in 3 weeks)!

I think everyone has to find what works for them.

Pixie
PixieKGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I am losing slowly BUT I added carbs and I eat anything I want. After many many years of deprivation, I am enjoying JUDDD and do not care if I lose slowly. I AM LOSING.
It is all about the calories.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all. I felt stupid asking the question but I rather be safe then sorry!

So what about the exercise do I eat more calories if I exercise and burn some off?

I am soo excited about juddd!
Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttie99 View Post

So what about the exercise do I eat more calories if I exercise and burn some off?

I am soo excited about juddd!
Dr. J in the book says you can BUT he also cautions you, " did you REALLY burn that many calories?" Plus it is a kind of wash if you burn it and then eat it back. Now that is just for moderate exercise in my opinion. Heavy duty is a differnt story. I do not exercise very often but I DO NOT add the calories back in.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Another one here who eats carbs. I eat anything I desire, and it turns out that when my diet is looked at overall, the vast majority of it is just good basic whole foods. The base of my diet is still all the same meats and eggs and low carb veggies of my low carb days, but these days I also include ALL of the rest of the veggies and fruits, and some grains and sugars.

The freedom to be able to eat anything doesn't mean that a person does. Or that they eat high carb choices regularly, or even very often. That is completely up to the individual JUDDD follower, and JUDDD doesn't care.

But here's something interesting that I found happened for me. With the introduction of more carbs into my diet, combined with the calorie control brought to me with JUDDD, I lost weight so much better than on just low carb it was like a whirlwind!!!

JUDDD isn't in charge of what foods you eat. Your food plan will prescribe that, if you follow a plan. JUDDD only guides the cycle of your consumption. (You food plan may be Atkins, as an example, which will have the list of foods you may eat and those you are to not eat. And then JUDDD would be your guide as to how many calories of your low carb foods you would consume on your Up & Down days.) I do not follow any food plan. I merely use JUDDD to guide the quantity (calories) of my eating choices, high on some days, low on others.

And I eat some high carb foods, include those calories in my daily total, and don't go overboard (too often) because I respect my calorie numbers.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Some people do add carbs; many of us do not. Many of us add in more veggie carbs, but continue to stay away from all sugars, grains, and processed food. JUDDD does not magically make toxic foods any less toxic, and for many, many people, all sugars, grains, and processed foods are indeed toxic.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #11

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/144 - 150/155, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Lost with JUDDD! Maintaining with HDE/IE
I took a weekend off and "carbed up" then counted that gain on Monday morning as my JUDDD starting weight.

Like so many have already said, JUDDD is about calories, not carbs. You can choose to eat whatever you'd like, and whatever makes you feel good. I eat bread regularly, rice and pasta sometimes, but I rarely eat cookies or cake--that sort of thing. Honestly, though, I was never much of a "sweets" eater to begin with.

When I exercise, I don't add back my calories. I don't exercise that often or very strenuously though.

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
May 2014: Still maintaining; taking a stab at HDE/IE
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Ok thank you. Can someone fluctuate between maintenace and wt loss? For example, spend 6 weeks on wt loss then 4 weeks maintaiing then back to wt loss mode?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 175.8/162.4/140...47 years old
WOE: JUDDD/low carb
Start Date: Start date: January 1, 2014
I lose better on JUDDD, eating all the carbs I want than I did doing Atkins and keeping my carbs at 20-30 per day plus my mood is WAY better on JUDDD, I always was on edge and very grumpy while doing strict low carb, I'm a much nicer person on JUDDD.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #14

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttie99 View Post
Ok thank you. Can someone fluctuate between maintenace and wt loss? For example, spend 6 weeks on wt loss then 4 weeks maintaiing then back to wt loss mode?
I lost weight like that, losing for awhile, then maintaining for awhile, then back to working on more weight loss. It works just fine.

But I'd think you'd have to be someone who doesn't forget to keep going. Some folks would use the maitenance part of it to enjoy life to the point of forgetting to ever start into another round of weight loss.

And, of course, it takes you longer to ever get to goal.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Pat! You are soo nice. Thanks for all the support so far. I feel like a have so many questions!! This protocol seems too good to be true!!

I am still confused about FD and MD? what is that?

Also what do you recommend as far as eating schedule for wt loss vs mainenance? Like can I do DD mwf and t th sat and sun up days, or for the weight loss phase I need to always alternate no matter what.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
Big Yapper!!!!

FD = free day
MD = medium day. UD calories + DD calories divided by two. Dr. J calls them in-between days. Used to change your UD/DD rotation for a special event or whatever

Neither are recommended during the first two weeks. I have had one MD and I will not do anymore. Too confusing for me.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #17

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
You will really love this way of eating. Yes, sometimes the DDs feel tough. But oh the joy of an UD, maybe a date night and a glass of wine. Now need to pick and choose with difficulty around the menu, or only go to LC places.

As you have read, if you wish to be LC, Paleo, Vegetarian or Vegan, go ahead, JUDDD will work.

But the greatest joy I have found since I started JUDDD is the freedom to eat anything I wish, on alternate days.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Some people do add carbs; many of us do not. Many of us add in more veggie carbs, but continue to stay away from all sugars, grains, and processed food. JUDDD does not magically make toxic foods any less toxic, and for many, many people, all sugars, grains, and processed foods are indeed toxic.
Agree with this. While JUDDD allows you to eat any foods, you still need to be aware of how your body reacts to those foods.

I started basically pre-diabetic. Tried adding in grains/sugar carbs and had large spikes in my blood sugar. Also noticed increase in hunger and cravings. (artificial sweeteners caused the same craving/hunger increase). So I went back to paleo and do much better. I eat around 100-120g carbs on an UD, but those come from veggies, nuts and nut butters, some fruit and then the incidental carbs that come with proteins. I also bake with almond and coconut flours, which are high in carbs, but also high in fiber. And I don't net my carb counts.

It really is best during wlm that you stick to the rotation. In maintenance, or for special occasions, you can mix it up a bit, but many have found it to really slow down their losses to do it consistently.

Welcome to JUDDD!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: babykinz
WOE: LCishJUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I lose better on JUDDD, eating all the carbs I want than I did doing Atkins and keeping my carbs at 20-30 per day plus my mood is WAY better on JUDDD, I always was on edge and very grumpy while doing strict low carb, I'm a much nicer person on JUDDD.
This is me too! I stay away from SUGAR and limit my bread intake to maybe once a week but I do eat rice and beans.

I feel more alive then I did on LC and I am still losing, in a JUDDD bounce way, but still its losing.
babykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by alltheprettyhorses View Post
Hi cuttie. I am new to JUDDD, I have been doing it for about 3 weeks now. Previously I was doing strict LC (20-30 carbs daily) for a little over a year, and started JUDDD to help me break a stall, which it did - VERY well!

I would say this is a YMMV (your mileage may vary) issue. For me, I have started to add back more "good" carbs like extra veggies and nuts, and on a few UD I had some tortilla chips at a Mexican restaurant, and on Easter, which was an UD, I ate whatever I wanted. But....

You may just gain a little water weight if you've been eating LC and then start adding in carbs, and the water weight will disappear as your body re-adapts to eating carbs. Just something to be aware of. However, for me, adding back more carbs has so far been a bad idea. I originally started LC to lose weight and reverse pre-diabetes, and now with JUDDD I am learning that if I add back carbs, I become absolutely RAVENOUS on my UD and go way over my calories. So I think I will be sticking to JUDDD, with my previous LC foods. At least for now.

I know others that have come to JUDDD and added back in carbs and it has been a more seamless transition for them. It just depends. My metabolism is very broken and I think I need to wait till I get closer to goal before I start altering my carbs.

As far as your questions about numbers, I would check out the official JUDDD website - google it or I'm sure someone will reply to your post with a link (I would but I don't know how since I am also new!). There is a calculator on the website for you to enter your stats and it will provide you with your UD and DD calories.

Welcome to JUDDD!
Some of us kind of get carb crazy and get out of control. You'll have to see what works for you. That's the beauty of JUDDD. It allows you to experiment 'til you find the right combination for you.
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote