Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Starting tomorrow with my DD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/768112-starting-tomorrow-my-dd.html)

zipp2play 04-17-2012 05:54 AM

Starting tomorrow with my DD

I have a few questions. I entered my information in the website and at 20% weight loss mode and moderate exercise....it indicates 492 DD (as indicated round up to 500) and 2460 for Up days? That seems really high for up days.

My exercise is walking 5 miles a day 5 - 6 days a week. I am also adding in a Jillian Michels DVD 3 - 5 times a week. That seems moderate to me.

I have another question. Does anyone suffer from Hypoglycemia? How do the DD's work with that? My plan is 2 pure protein shakes (23 g protein and 120 calories) and then a 260 calorie dinner. If I get hungry/shakey in between how does someone with hypoglycemia cope?? I am thinking if I focus mainly on protein I will be fine, I'm just not sure.

I will be looking at DD suggestions as much as possible. Then on UD's 2460 seems like a lot of FOOD!

I have done LC off and on over the coarse of 10 years. I lost 45 pounds originally from it and have put back on 15 - 20 of it. Would love to get to GOAL and merely stay there. I felt the flexibility of JUDDD may just be the change I need.

zipp2play 04-17-2012 05:56 AM

I should add, I would love to lose 15 pounds, 20 - 25 would be amazing!

Guessing I believe I weigh 185 (or so). At my lowest of 167, I felt/looked great. I have to guess what my weight is as I don't get on the scale. It has never gone well for me in doing that so I gave it up 2+ years ago.

I go by clothes and my general feel of things.

KeirasMom 04-17-2012 06:03 AM

:welcome:

I'm quite a bit bigger than you and don't get that many calories, so I'm not really sure if those numbers will work for you, even with your exercise.

Most of us choose the option for no exercise on the calculator. If you want to include your exercise calories, I'd suggest entering at least one level LOWER than the actual amount of exercise you do, as the calculator does seem to give us back way more calories than we actually expend. Most of us figure we've put all that work in to burning the calories, so there's no way we'd want to eat them back. YMMV.

Re: Hypoglycemia. JUDDD has actually been shown to normalize blood sugar issues. I used to get very cranky and shaky when I didn't get breakfast early enough, or went too long between meals. I have had none of that since I started JUDDD. Protein is a great idea to start out. I find I need a good mix of protein and bulky veggies to feel satisfied on a DD.

ETA: If you're insulin dependant, Dr. Johnson doesn't recommend JUDDD, but for Type IIs and those of us who are mildly/moderately hypoglycemic, it's fine.

Beeb 04-17-2012 06:25 AM

Something seems really off with your calorie numbers, to me. The DDs looks fine but that is a rather large UD number for your height and weight now. Not knowing your age I can't really figure it out completely but I would suggest you put your exercise in below what you think it should be. Many of us use the sedentary/little or no exercise even though we do a bit of exercise because it brings the UD calorie number down and it's just more "doable".

You can always up that UD number, but it's really best to start a bit lower, in my experience.

:welcome: and it's really nice to see you here!

zipp2play 04-17-2012 06:57 AM

OK, when I enter the little exercise, it pulls the UD to 2182. I think for starters I will do 500DD and 2200UD. DOes that seem doable? I am very concerned about the DD numbers. I may have to bump that a little, but I am going to grill up some shrimp tonight to have ready for meals tomorrow.

Thanks for the input. Dawn good to know it helped with your shakey stuff. Typically, when following LC, I have no bloodsugar issues, but 500 calories is really low. I was born with hypoglycemia and it hasn't progressed to diabetes in the 41 years yet, so for me, I think that just maybe how things will be.

Tossing around the idea of weighing. That has me really scared. I tend to let the scale dictate how/what I do. Maybe I will just have DH look at the number so when I get where I want to be, I will have a journal of how things went. HMMMMM? That might work!

mykidsteacher 04-17-2012 07:02 AM

Hi Monica! (Monica is a friend of mine--we met on a challenge thread early this year).

Glad to see you over here. Echoing what others said about your UD number, seems a bit high.

Also, if the shakes don't satisfy you, check out the DD foods and recipes threads to get some ideas. With your lc background, you'll probably do well with protein, so the shakes might be fine. But many of us find we just need FOOD, something to chew, to stay happy on DD's.

Can't wait to cheer on your successes!

mykidsteacher 04-17-2012 07:06 AM

If you decide not to weigh, at least take some measurements, and then measure weekly after a DD. Having Dh check the scale number sounds good too, if you can leave the poor man alone and not pester him to tell you what you might not want to know. LOL

And as I said on the challenge thread, if you need more calories at first on your DD's, it's totally ok to use them. Especially as you get a feel for how your blood sugar is going to respond.

But if you get creative, you can get a surprising amount of food for you calorie buck.

Egg whites are high in protein and low in calories, so scramble up 1 whole egg and 2 or 3 extra egg whites (save the yolks for tomorrow's breakfast). Add an egg white to chicken broth for a snack. Or add some HWC to broth. Add some veggies to that scramble for more bulk, with few added calories. And I know you love crack slaw, so check out the Chicken, cabbage, laughing Cow thread for tons of ideas on how to vary that.

You're going to do great!

adillenal 04-17-2012 07:09 AM

NOT FAIR. I am an inch shorter and obviously many years older since the calculator gave me 348/1739 when I was at 178. Pout.

BUT good luck with your DD's. Those have been easier for me and I did the 500 calories dueing induction with shakes. Worked well for me. Did not have to think. Just sip a shake.

Beeb 04-17-2012 07:28 AM

OK, here is an idea: Make your DD 600 and your UD 2100. That will give you some wiggle room on DDs and not so :stars: a number on UDs with the same benefits.

I started and stayed with my DD calories at 700 and UD calories at 1645 and I did very well, as I'm sure you know.

JUDDD let's us make this WOE very "doable" because it's very flexible (within reason). As long as you keep that UD/DD calorie gap at the nice gap you will do great!

:high5:

zipp2play 04-17-2012 07:52 AM

SOunds good. I was chatting with DH about it and he wants to try this too. He has a bit more to lose so I am sure it will literally fall off of him. He agreed to log my weight so that later, if I wanted to see it, I could see how it all charted. I won't harrass him about getting it either, me and the scale, we DO NOT get along!

Thanks for the help!