Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SummerAnne
Stats: 254/247.6/No Specific Goal
WOE: NK
Start Date: 8/1/13
Not sure how to proceed - Exercise & down days

Next month I'm starting a Wellness class at college. It is 3 hour class, half class room study, half gym time. It's a prereq. for the strength training & body conditioning courses that I want to take, at which time I will encounter the same problems. Class meets T/Th, but the problem is that from what I've gathered (correct me if I'm wrong) we're not supposed to do intense exercise on down days.

I don't know how to best handle this. Does anyone have any advice?
SummerAnne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mom22boys
Stats: 147/124.6/118 5'2"
WOE: Juddd & Low Carb
Start Date: Started Juddd 2/1/12
I exercise the same on up and down days. I think there are a lot of us here. Maybe eat an extra 100 calories if you need it. Why don't you try it out and then figure what you need. If you have to you could do a md to make every Tuesday and Thursday an up day but I don't think most would recommend that if you don't have to.

I actually work out harder on dd because I exercise in the morning and have more energy after a well fueled up day.
mom22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #3

That's good to hear. I think I'm just worried about the workout leaving me starving later in the day.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hatewashingup
Stats: 135/114/108
WOE: Juddd/Vegetable lover!
Start Date: January 2012
All I can say is I exercise as normal on Dds and often find my best workouts are in the morning after an UD. I find drinking coconut water before a workout on a dd gives me a boost.
Hatewashingup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/18/14
I exercise on both UD's and DD's and don't have any problems. If I'm on a DD, I try to eat a little something about an hour before I go. I'm rarely ever hungry after working out.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #6

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
I exercise on down days as well. Have lately added back in elliptical workouts, which can be pretty intense.

You'll want to find out what works for you, but I've learned that having some food in me before working out is important. I can't work out intensely in a completely fasted state. I lose energy and 30 minutes on the elliptical is all I can do.

However, 250 calories or so of cabbage, chicken and cheese and I'm good to go for an hour. Or two hours of walking.

You'll just need to experiment to figure out what works for you. And if you bonk, and run out of energy, not the end of the world. Take something with you to fuel up and consider that useful information. You'll do fine.

"Success occurs in clusters and is born in generosity" --Julia Cameron

Describes my JUDDD Buddds perfectly.
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #7

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I have always exercised on both, and in some ways enjoy it more on DDs as my today has been so well nourished on the UDs preceding them.

If you are truly starving then eat a little more. Although as a rule I don't recommend 'eating back your exercise calories' in certain circumstances it only makes sense. You have many % choices for you DDs on Dr J's site.

Just keep on keeping on! You'll do fine.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #8

I'll definitely plan to take something with me, I'm fairly certain the first 90 minutes is classroom learning then the last 90 minutes are gym time. My other class is online this summer so I hopefully will be fine if I just eat before.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #9

I had to push this class back to second session, so I just started last week. Today was my first day that I seriously used the weights (before I was just getting a feel for the machines and what weight I needed for each) and I'm STARVING now. My school is 2 miles away and literally half way home my stomach was hurting badly. Before class I had half a 100 calorie english muffin, 1 egg, 1 slice ff cheese & 2 strips of precooked bacon. I don't think there is any way I'm going to be able to make this a DD the way I'm feeling at the moment. I'd say just make the next 5 weeks have a mid day so I keep the up days on my class days - but I'm planning to take strength training in the fall, so I have no clue how to proceed now.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #10

Gallery: Luna Loca
Stats: 303/159/159
Start Date: 10/17/10 started JUDDD on 1/28/12 at 198
Let the fall worry about itself for now.

You're going to need to experiment on yourself--sounds like a Frankenstein thing, huh? You're going to want to keep trying different combinations to see what fuels you best for your workout. Protein? Protein plus fat? Complex carbs like oatmeal? You'll have to just try different things. You'll eventually hit on the combination that works best for you. You might also need to pay attention on your up days, and eat good wholesome food to fuel your workouts, skipping the junk food. That might make a difference too.

Being hungry after a workout is not an emergency. You can eat if you need to. Hopefully though, as you find the right formula, you won't bonk like that and will feel wonderful!

I know you can do this!
Luna Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Whitlin'
Stats: 162/149/149
Start Date: March, 2009
If this is an extreme change in activity for you, have you gone back to the calorie counter to adjust your numbers for the greater exercise levels? Do you feel your calorie numbers are properly set for a dramatic boost in activity? I can't imagine anyone adding several intense hours of exercise into their days - in Florida in July - and not needing to readjust somewhat. You also need to rethink your water intake, but you've probably already thought of that.

Is there a reason you don't want to make T and Th UDs? Perhaps I missed that.... ... If you have already adjusted properly for your activity level, but are finding difficulty at this time with activity far beyond the usual for you on T and Th, I would place DDs M,W,F right now, and make Sat a MD to be sure you are fueled for the next week. If you don't want to add MDs, I certainly respect that. MDs can be a problem for some, but these classes seem to me to be your more immediate problem.

Yes, definitely let the fall worry about the fall. You'll have learned a lot by then and can make those decisions well. Best wishes.

Lost 13 pounds on JUDDD in 2009 and began happy maintenance. Slipped up in 2012, but JUDDD got me back to goal!

Last edited by Whitlin'; 07-03-2012 at 04:05 PM..
Whitlin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #12

Thanks for the suggestions. I am definitely thinking about keeping T/TH UD making a weekend day being MD. Today ended up being a MD, I had a bunch of errands to run this afternoon and would have bought the entire grocery store the way I was feeling. Tomorrow has to be an up day since I already have a bbq planned for the 4th. I just figured prior to today I'd try to avoid MD's since I've pretty much read nothing good about them for loss.

I'm only doing about an hour of exercise - 20 minutes cardio, 30 minutes weights, 10 minutes light cardio cooldown. It was shocking how bad the gnawing was so quickly. I drank a bottle of water during lecture prior, about 2/3 a bottle while exercising, and much more after.

I think I'll attempt to make Thursday a DD to see what happens, since I had egg/bacon/wheat this morning I'll see how oatmeal goes. If I have to eat after so be it.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KathyL
Stats: 205/118-122/125 5'4" Age 53
WOE: low glycemic index in 2011 JUDDD in 2012
Start Date: January 2011
I exercise a lot and used to think I should only do the more strenuous stuff on DDs. But in the last few weeks I've been doing it however and have not noticed one bit of difference. Today I fasted and I biked 15 miles, ran 2, walked 8, and spent about an hour swimming. Tomorrow morning I will work out with weights and then walk and/or bike and won't break my fast until afternoon. And it will all be fine.
KathyL is offline   Reply With Quote