Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
amm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amm
Stats: (highest weight 400) 345/337.8/175
How to handle upcoming events...

What do you do when you have a special thing coming up and it's going to be a DD on a normal rotation? But you know that you want to eat normally on that day? I've read a little about Medium Days, but then I've also read that they've messed up some people's weight loss. Do you have 2 DD or 2 UD in a row in order to change your rotation?

Thanks!
amm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Location: Smack Dab in the center of Arkansas (Go Razorbacks!)
Gallery: arkie1
Stats: 286 highest 257/250.8/??
WOE: Low Carb-IF/cngd d to JUDDD/lc on 2/9/12 (230)
Start Date: Feb 8, 2010 IF ON 8-14-11
Just my opinion, but I think 2 UD's in a row would mess with your weight loss much more than DD, MD, UD would. Is there any way, on that DD, to not eat until the event, and then use the DD calories for that event? And 2 DD's in a row might have you starving, and mess with the Sirt1 gene's progress. (put you in starvation mode, and turn off the gene). Like i said this is just my opinion, and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along to help.

Good Luck, whatever you decide is best for you!

Aren't you just starting JUDDD? I don't know if I would change the rotation at this point.

Carole

Last edited by arkie1; 04-16-2012 at 03:08 PM..
arkie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
amm
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amm
Stats: (highest weight 400) 345/337.8/175
Thanks, Carole. Yes, I'm just starting out... I like to think ahead for when I stumble upon situations in the future.
amm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sorenkkg
Stats: Jan 2014: 266/258.0/160
WOE: JUDDD range: 2200/500
Start Date: LC Jan 2003 restart Jan 2012- JUDDD start 04/2012
Hi Andrea-- I'm the same way. I travel a bit for work, so I know what my schedule is going to be, and I try to plan for meals out, special events, etc.

I'm going the DD/MD/UD route. I agree with the above-- 2 DD in a row is VERY hard-- I'm worried about the sirt gene, but also, not having fueled the 2nd DD, and then REALLY blowing it.

I'd rather take a chance with middle calories, than totally going off the deep end.

I'm going to do this a few times in upcoming weeks-- I need UD's to travel to/from California, and while I there that week I might need a MD b/c we're having a special dinner the night of my DD.

Anyway-- this is what I'm planning-- I had a MD this past weekend, and it went well. I'm on rotation this week, and then another MD on Saturday, UD on Sunday when I travel, then I do my best next week.

Soren

Plan to Win, Win when you Plan (re: food)
sorenkkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
The only change in my rotation happened by accident when a DD turned to an UD and resulted in two uds in a row. My wl messed up, but I think it was mostly mental with getting off rotation and making bad choices. I'd try the med day next time.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie1 View Post
Just my opinion, but I think 2 UD's in a row would mess with your weight loss much more than DD, MD, UD would. Is there any way, on that DD, to not eat until the event, and then use the DD calories for that event? And 2 DD's in a row might have you starving, and mess with the Sirt1 gene's progress. (put you in starvation mode, and turn off the gene). Like i said this is just my opinion, and I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along to help.

Good Luck, whatever you decide is best for you!

Aren't you just starting JUDDD? I don't know if I would change the rotation at this point.

Carole
If you absolutely have to change the rotation then you will make the UD before the event a MD and move the whole rotation forward. DD, MD, UD, DD, UD, DD, etc.

If you can just try to make it through this one event with a DD that would be better, though. Save all your calories for the event and then just eat "light/smaller" portions.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
If you can just try to make it through this one event with a DD that would be better, though. Save all your calories for the event and then just eat "light/smaller" portions.
Yes and drink lots of water while you eat! It fills you up quicker. And it helps with temptations also!!! Another little trick. Take some SF gum to chew! Its harder to nibble on things when your chewing gum!!!

Sorry sisters wedding coming up and have been planning how to get through it myself!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tanya-- for the wedding, I'd plan an UD, and just enjoy yourself.. that's IMO, but I'm a sucker for a sweet table or a midnight seafood buffet (depending on the wedding...).

That said-- I really do like the new flavors of gum that are out, the "dessert" ones : mint chocolate is my fave, but I also like the key lime, and apple pie. Those seem the most realistic to me. There's strawberry shortcake (has a bit of vanilla, nice) and a orange creamscicle one.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
If life offers frequent disruptions then you do have to plan for them - make them part of your rotation.

If life offers an occasional 'opportunity' then NBD. Have a great time, eat sensibly, pay careful attention to your next DD, and if the scale bothers you ignore it for a few rotations after you get back. JUDDD is very forgiving.

Six weeks into this WOE I spent a long weekend on vacation at a food mecca. The scale bounced up four pounds. After I got back it took two DDs to hit a new low.

Have a good time and do not extend your vacation - get back on plan when the adventure is over.

I am not a big fan of having two DDs in a row. I think that puts more stress on most bodies than having multiple, sensible UDs or inserting an MD does.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beachgirl6976
Stats: (240 Highest) Starting Juddd 151/143/120 5'4"
WOE: JUDDD - Previous, LC/Atkins, 4HB, WW
Start Date: 4/8/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiebubb View Post
Another little trick. Take some SF gum to chew! Its harder to nibble on things when your chewing gum!!!
This is a great tip! I just decided to take a trip back home for my brothers graduation. I'm going to be there for 11 days and during that time there will be the graduation, the grad party a week later, Mothers day, My niece's bday and 3 of us have bdays around this time so there will for sure be a celebration dinner for that I'm so new to Juddd that this has me panicked especially because my family likes to eat out for dinner like every night. Their motto, eat drink and be merry. I'm going to do my best and one thing I know for sure is that I'll be packing lots of gum!!

Beachgirl6976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: Your guess is as good as mine...
Start Date: Start date: Constantly!
I have this issue coming up soon, my brother in law's birthday supper (Chinese food) falls on my DD, and I don't want to change the rotation because my Birthday (later in the month) falls on an UD! So I'm going to do a liquid fast in the morning/afternoon, the party starts at 5:00 and I'm going to up my DD cals from 600 to 800 for just that day then get right back in the rotation.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I have this issue coming up soon, my brother in law's birthday supper (Chinese food) falls on my DD, and I don't want to change the rotation because my Birthday (later in the month) falls on an UD! So I'm going to do a liquid fast in the morning/afternoon, the party starts at 5:00 and I'm going to up my DD cals from 600 to 800 for just that day then get right back in the rotation.
Eat lots of veggies! I just had Chinese with a friend the other day, and while it was a UD, I tried to count everything. I had chinese broccoli (looks like our broccolini, the long thin sticks) and baby bok choi-- but they were both in that clear/garlic sauce? I tried to estimate the amount of CORN STARCH they use (I figured a good couple teaspoons) and oil. While it's not great for carbs, they were pretty low cal. You can also ask if they can steam a dish just for you-- I've seen this on many menus in the US when I do takeout-- steamed and/or with no sauce. Then you can just use some regular soy sauce for flavor, and you should be good
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
I am a FIEND for bok choy!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG Nancy, you'd love these-- I've seen small ones, but these were like ping pong ball size! CRAZY!

I feel the same way about chinese broccoli for some reason... I like it better than regular, but it's still sort of hard to find in stores for me.

what a JUDDD threadjack-- talking about veggies!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just had a real life example-- a work thing has popped up for me tomorrow, which is a DD for me, and I have to attend a group lunch tomorrow. I was out voted, so we're going to Thai.

I looked up a general thai menu (using calorieking, ************, etc)-- I'm choosing to have 2c of tom yum chicken soup (broth, veggies, some soup, yummy herbs/spices).-- about 150 cal according to the source I found (it would be more with coconut milk, so I won't do that).

I love the internet!

Soren